Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police Shooting USA. Rayshard Brooks.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Overheal wrote: »
    Sure let’s pop a cap in everyone who DWIs and skip the justice system. More efficient no?

Sure lets just resist the police, violently assault them, steal their weapons and shoot at them. If I turn my back tho, I'm immune now, cause muh brutality or such.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,452 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You have posted inaccuracies in the recent past.

It is not unreasonable to doubt you are prone to wild flights of fancy.

Oh yes “inaccuracies” /faint

I said his shots ended up hitting the car. They did. You chose to infer multiple shots hit the car. Well established fact ITT he fired 2 shots in the back, the other bullet we now know hit an occupied passenger car. It’s not rocket surgery!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Sure let’s pop a cap in everyone who DWIs and skip the justice system. More efficient no?

No. I don't think anybody here is advocating for that to happen.

What some of us are advocating for is that if you assault cops, steal their taser and shoot it at them, then the cops should be allowed to respond. Unfortunately that response can lead to someone dying.

But you know the saying "play stupid games, win stupid prizes".

The cops didn't set out to kill Brooks. The actions of Brooks caused the chain of events that ended with Brooks losing his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Im sorry you misunderstood but that’s not my problem, and I’ve already clarified, so I don’t know what else you want. He shot a car with passengers in it. “Protect and serve”

I did not misunderstand the comment. You mistyped the comment.**

You typed "shots hit a car".

This was simply not true.

** I'm giving you the benefit off the doubt that it was a mistype and that you don't care about the facts

Oh yes “inaccuracies” /faint

I said his shots ended up hitting the car. They did. You chose to infer multiple shots hit the car. Well established fact ITT he fired 2 shots in the back, the other bullet we now know hit an occupied passenger car. It’s not rocket surgery!

I didn't infer anything. You typed shots.

I assumed you based the comment on facts so therefore I believed you.

All you had to do was say you mistyped. Why are your knickers in a twist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Seriously, you are off the chain with your guff. If it's not lambasting the cops for not employing trick shot skills, now apparently the DWI charge is mickey mouse? Passed out in the drive thru of Wendys, fails a sobriety skill test and breathalyzer, and you want the cops to just let him toddle off.

I haven't "lambasted" anyone. I merely asked loads of pages back "what happened to warning shots". I am not condoning warning shots, just asking about the possibility of them.

Turns out they were used, then they were frowned upon. There are those who think it's a bad idea and there are organisations like the IACP who are interested in seeing it return in limited cases.

Plus, the German Police use them, as pointed out by Der Spiegel.

As for letting Brooks "toddle off", I only posited that it was possible for Rolfe give give chase instead of immediately gong for his gun and blowing away a guy who'd been collared for a DUI? There's nothing unreasonable in this.

Now, if you just want to continue being an arse, you can go back to your toilet and abuse that instead.

I did not misunderstand the comment. You mistyped the comment.**

You typed "shots hit a car".

This was simply not true.

** I'm giving you the benefit off the doubt that it was a mistype and that you don't care about the facts

I do care about the facts you are off in wallyworld if you think I have sinister or ulterior intentions.

I wonder what would happen if they came across an off duty cop who went psycho and reacted like Brooks did. Would they still shoot to kill? My hole.

I wonder what would happen if the cops were black. Would they have been fired? My hole.

They do in their hole. You produced exactly zero examples of it occurring; choosing rather to spew some volume of nonsense.

I'll post this again. Maybe you can read it this time instead of being a jerk.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2012/05/german-police-used-only-85-bullets-against-people-2011/328297/

https://www.spiegel.de/panorama/justiz/polizei-schoss-2011-seltener-im-dienst-a-832037.html

^
    The word you're looking for is Warnschüsse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

I do care about the facts you are off in wallyworld if you think I have sinister or ulterior intentions.[/QUOTE

you are just making up stuff to suit what ever agenda suits you today have been in any thread you post in until the discusson gets shut down ,

never let the facts get in the way of a good SJW cause

• Advertisement

I do care about the facts you are off in wallyworld if you think I have sinister or ulterior intentions.

Where did I claim your motives were sinister or ulterior ?

I believe I questioned whether you cared about the facts.

I never said anything you did was sinister or such.

Those are your words, pal, not mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I wouldn't be putting too much faith in that article.

I suppose not. It does somewhat blow apart your narrative on the taser that justified the killing...;)

We will just have to see what comes out in the trial.

GreeBo wrote: »
    We dont shoot criminals out of hand, we have judges and juries first.

And then we shoot them?

No, that doesn't sound right. We don't have the death penaltyby shooting in this country.

If you are shot by the police, it was before the judge and jury. Never afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The other cop is the other cop that did not murder Rayshard Brooks and witnessed it happen first hand.

That would be the cop who the DA lied about helping the case against his colleague?? The one who's lawyers said no one had spoken with him about helping any case?

Serious mental gymnastics from the Atlanta PD and Union:
    Hours after the charges were announced, some Atlanta police officers began calling in sick just before their night shifts started. A police union spokesman confirmed the protest to NBC News, but said the union had not organized a formal walkout. Throughout Wednesday night, more officers reportedly called in sick, refused to show up to any calls except those requesting backup and went radio-silent.

“This is not an organized thing, it’s not a blue flu, it’s not a strike, it’s nothing like that,” Vince Champion, a spokesman for the International Brotherhood of Police Officers, told NBC News. “What it actually is is officers protesting that they’ve had enough and they don’t want to deal with it any longer.”

The “blue flu,” which Champion denied, is a type of de facto police strike in which a large group of officers simultaneously call in sick. Essential state employees, like police and first responders, are legally forbidden from actually walking out on the job in many jurisdictions.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/06/18/atlanta-rayshard-brooks-walkout/

Tony EH wrote: »
    I haven't "lambasted" anyone. I merely asked loads of pages back "what happened to warning shots". I am not condoning warning shots, just asking about the possibility of them.

Turns out they were used, then they were frowned upon. There are those who think it's a bad idea and there are organisations like the IACP who are interested in seeing it return in limited cases.

Plus, the German Police use them, as pointed out by Der Spiegel.

As for letting Brooks "toddle off", I only posited that it was possible for Rolfe give give chase instead of immediately gong for his gun and blowing away a guy who'd been collared for a DUI? There's nothing unreasonable in this.

Now, if you just want to continue being an arse, you can go back to your toilet and abuse that instead.

Have you watched any of the video?? He was giving chase. He only unholstered his service weapon was AFTER Brooks had shot the taser at him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Have you watched the 40 minute plus video or just selected clips that suit you?

Or are you just going by what someone posted online?

Nope, I've watched the whole thing.

It's easy to be calm and collected when you're questioning one calm co-operative citizen who is complying with your instructions... but how calm and composed are you if they do something unpredictable? That's the real test if these guys were any good at their jobs!

Well, these officers totally lost their composure when it mattered the most... When they needed cool heads to make sensible decisions in a more stressful situation, they just completely lost their sh!t and overreacted.

Btw those field sobriety tests are a load of nonsense if you ask me... this man was clearly intoxicated. The breathalyzer clearly showed it, and his actions showed it... not to mention he smelled of alcohol... putting a very groggy and tired drunk man through that pointless sobriety test, probably only served to further frustrate him.

Serious mental gymnastics from the Atlanta PD and Union:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/06/18/atlanta-rayshard-brooks-walkout/

Fair play to them. Hope they continue with it.

That would be the cop who the DA lied about helping the case against his colleague?? The one who's lawyers said no one had spoken with him about helping any case?

We don’t really know what’s going on with that. We don’t know if the DA lied (which would be a very brazen thing to do given the context of what was said about the cooperation) or he disclosed information he shouldn’t have. To wit, an officers can be the target of serial harassment, death threats and blackballing for turning witness against the blue wall of silence. Look around at what happens to cops who arrest other cops, like Trooper Donna Watts. In either circumstance the appropriate action by his attorney then is to publicly deny cooperation.

Have you watched any of the video?? He was giving chase. He only unholstered his service weapon was AFTER Brooks had shot the taser at him.

The taser is a one shot weapon, is it not. Brooks fired it and was running. It's not unreasonable to ask why couldn't Rolfe have continued to pursue him, instead of just taking out his gun and blasting away at a guy he'd been arresting on a DUI charge.

A question I'm sure he'll be asked at his trial.

• Advertisement

Nope, I've watch the whole thing.

It's easy to be calm and collected when you're questioning one calm co-operative citizen who is complying with your instructions... but how calm and composed are you if they do something unpredictable? That's the real test if these guys were any good at their jobs!

Well, these officers totally lost their composure when it mattered the most... When they needed cool heads to make sensible decisions in a more stressful situation, they just completely lost their sh!t and overreacted.

Btw those field sobriety tests are a load of nonsense if you ask me... this man was clearly intoxicated. The breathalyzer clearly showed it, and his actions showed it... not to mention he smelled of alcohol... putting a very groggy and tired drunk man through that pointless sobriety test, probably only served to further frustrate him.

So unprofessional of them to lose composure when getting punched in the head. :rolleyes:

The taser is a one shot weapon, is it not. Brooks fired it and was running. It's not unreasonable to ask why couldn't Rolfe have continued to pursue him, instead of just taking out his gun and blasting away at a guy he'd been arresting on a DUI charge.

Several people here have said the taser can fire multiple shots.

We don’t really know what’s going on with that. We don’t know if the DA lied (which would be a very brazen thing to do given the context of what was said about the cooperation) or he disclosed information he shouldn’t have. To wit, an officers can be the target of serial harassment, death threats and blackballing for turning witness against the blue wall of silence. Look around at what happens to cops who arrest other cops, like Trooper Donna Watts. In either circumstance the appropriate action by his attorney then is to publicly deny cooperation.

Nah, pretty sure the DA lied. DA seems to be off on a solo run with this. It'll all come home to roost hopefully.

Fair play to them. Hope they continue with it.

Why?

Why shouldn’t the criminal justice system be Just enough for cops, but Just enough for everyone else?

This is utterly baffling.

Several people here have said the taser can fire multiple shots.

That may be the case. I don't know. Has there been anything to show this?

No, it is not. It's was a three shot weapon in this case according to the reporting.

An actual example, not an article claiming they used them, without any details provided. Should easy enough if it happened as frequently as you claim.

Why?

Why shouldn’t the criminal justice system be Just enough for cops, but Just enough for everyone else?

This is utterly baffling.

In the criminal justice system you are innocent until proven guilty. This police officer was hung out to dry by his superiors with no investigation or supposition of innocence.

Would you work for someone who you now know will hang you out to dry without due process, especially when it's already a hugely dangerous and stressful job??

An actual example, not an article claiming they used them, without any details provided. Should easy enough if it happened as frequently as you claim.

It's clearly written in the articles that the German police used warning shots on numerous occasions in the years 2010 and 2011. If you cannot accept this, that's not my problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Nope, it's not a one shot weapon. I believe that model of taser was a 3 shot weapon.

Glad you used the word weapon because many here on this thread don't acknowlede that a taser is a weapon.

Advertisement