Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Staycation Ireland.. Anyone doing it

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

Will cost you extra this year for your test in and out, then a fine on the way back and quarantine in your own home.

dont care, it'll be worth it, staying in Ireland isnt a holiday for me it's misery with the rotten weather and last year you couldnt even have a beer without ordering food and you had to leave after 105 minutes and back to the hotel room with nothing to do, no thanks, it's abroad for me.

anyway come the summer they'll be doing away with these fines, otherwise Belfast airport will become extremly busy with holiday makers from down south.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

dont care, it'll be worth it, staying in Ireland isnt a holiday for me it's misery with the rotten weather and last year you couldnt even have a beer without ordering food and you had to leave after 105 minutes and back to the hotel room with nothing to do, no thanks, it's abroad for me.

anyway come the summer they'll be doing away with these fines, otherwise Belfast airport will become extremly busy with holiday makers from down south.

So basically all you want to do is drink on a holiday!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Maybe just maybe he would like to go to a premises sit down, have a drink, read the paper, watch the Tv, have a chat whatever like an adult, without having a meal that he probably doesn't want

and where did i say this?

you think a holiday is just drinking yeah :confused:

i'll be going away anwyay, let the holier than thou people and begrudgers stay at home and whinge till their hearts content,Ireland is a nation of begrudgers.

Spent a week in West Cork, and a week in Kerry last year,
    the weather while we were in Kerry was great, we made up with a couple of friends of ours in Kerry, and the kids really enjoyed playing with their buddies while on holidays, they later declared in the best holiday ever,
    We usually go to campsites in France for a couple of weeks,
    booked W Cork and Kerry again this year, along with a couple of other families, makes it easier when the kids have their friends to play with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

Completely missed where they said that?????

Also having a few beers without the accompanying dinner can be part of a good holiday vibe, not the primary goal but nice nonetheless.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

bladespin wrote: »
    Completely missed where they said that?????

Also having a few beers without the accompanying dinner can be part of a good holiday vibe, not the primary goal but nice nonetheless.

I'll never understand holiday snobbery.
    People like different things out of holidays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Anyone seeing anything for under €400 a week 2 bed self catering during July & August?

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Anyone seeing anything for under €400 a week 2 bed self catering during July & August?

Not even when there wasnt Covid :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭madalig12

Not much choice. Ryanair cancelling flights from derry to edinburgh in July for...We regret to advise you that due to ongoing changes to UK Civil Aviation Authority policy, at very short notice, we have no alternative and are forced to cancel your flight(s):

• Advertisement

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Not even when there wasnt Covid :)

There is always deals to be had!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

Cheapest I've seen, along west coast at least, is c.€90 per night

I've seen a couple of camsites out west charge €350+ for a week and that's bringing your own accommodation in the form of a tent :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Last week there were holiday homes availble online for €500 a week in kerry at end of june and into early july.

So if you look early enough there is value to be got

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Some better news today, Leo's booked a holiday home in Sligo for his staycation (August) and is looking forward to outdoor pints.
    https://evoke.ie/2021/02/04/extra/leo-varadkars-good-news-about-summer-staycations

Some better news today, Leo's booked a holiday home in Sligo for his staycation (August) and is looking forward to outdoor pints.
    https://evoke.ie/2021/02/04/extra/leo-varadkars-good-news-about-summer-staycations

So have we. Whats your point?
    We'll have decking, bbq and 5 mins from the beach and village.
    Even politicians are entitled to time off

Point is we had the possibility of not being allowed on a staycation yesterday outside our own county by Tony and Leo comes out today to say he's booked one in Sligo.

Point is we had the possibility of not being allowed on a staycation yesterday outside our own county by Tony and Leo comes out today to say he's booked one in Sligo.

That's not what Tony said

That's not what Tony said

What did he say then, as I head it and thought I misheard it but then it was published in the Irish independent.
    Please tell us what he said if you think he said something different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

Funny how Leo and Tony often come out with conflicting statements in quick succession.
    I get the feeling there's a bit of friction there.

fdevine wrote: »
    Cheapest I've seen, along west coast at least, is c.€90 per night

I've seen a couple of camsites out west charge €350+ for a week and that's bringing your own accommodation in the form of a tent :rolleyes:

Got sorted for July under €400 in County Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I would never book camping in Ireland more than a few days in advance.
    If it rains there is nothing more miserable than camping in Ireland :)
    If it doesnt rain it can be great fun.

It's only rain, you won't melt! I've been camping in sun, rain, thunder and lightning, everything. If it's raining, we the right gear, and just get on with it. Some days we might just stay in the tent and play board games, read a book, and just relax. I find the sound of rain hitting the tent quite soothing and calming.
    Last year, we camped in Doolin. Had a couple of days of sunshine and we were on the beach. Had a couple of days of rain and we went to the beach and walked the cliffs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

josip wrote: »
    Funny how Leo and Tony often come out with conflicting statements in quick succession.
    I get the feeling there's a bit of friction there.

Neither of them know. Making it up as they go along the lot of them.

cee_jay wrote: »
    It's only rain, you won't melt! I've been camping in sun, rain, thunder and lightning, everything. If it's raining, we the right gear, and just get on with it. Some days we might just stay in the tent and play board games, read a book, and just relax. I find the sound of rain hitting the tent quite soothing and calming.
    Last year, we camped in Doolin. Had a couple of days of sunshine and we were on the beach. Had a couple of days of rain and we went to the beach and walked the cliffs.

Pretty much sums up camping when its raining.

If that works for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Pretty much sums up camping when its raining.

If that works for you :)

Actually sounds bloody awful....... Board games in a tent?!

Actually sounds bloody awful....... Board games in a tent?!

Right back to the Father Ted caravan scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Last year, we camped in Doolin. Had a couple of days of sunshine and we were on the beach. Had a couple of days of rain and we w
    ent to the beach and walked the cliffs.

Did you manage to see The magic road and St. Kevin's stump? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭gilly1910

Is that just for one night??

You can holiday in Ireland but it's just not a proper enjoyable holiday.

some of us just dont like the rain mate,each to their own and all that.

• Advertisement

Some seem to think that this is the moancation thread.

SNNUS wrote: »
    You can holiday in Ireland but it's just not a proper enjoyable holiday.

Yes and no, in the past (when our boys were very young) we holidayed here, mainly in Cork and it was brilliant - a lucky mix of really good weather and lots of things to do etc.

It was expensive; accommodation wise a week cost as much as a fortnight in Portugal would, and the food costs were literally 3 times (or more) what they would have been. But there's also a high confidence level about anywhere we ate, we knew they'd all be good really, not the same story abroad etc.

We still remember the great times we had now and again - years later, that's the main value of a holiday for me.

Unfortunately, we did try the same thing last year, the weather was good and bad (not complaining- we're Irish after all lol) but it wasn't the same, queues everywhere, everything restricted, just like everyone and everything everywhere was but it wasn't a hol, we spent time but didn't have a holiday if that makes sense - we've all agreed that if we can't get abroad this year then we'll just have a few days off at home and save the time and money for whenever we can go on a proper hol.

Yes and no, in the past (when our boys were very young) we holidayed here, mainly in Cork and it was brilliant - a lucky mix of really good weather and lots of things to do etc.

It was expensive; accommodation wise a week cost as much as a fortnight in Portugal would, and the food costs were literally 3 times (or more) what they would have been. But there's also a high confidence level about anywhere we ate, we knew they'd all be good really, not the same story abroad etc.

We still remember the great times we had now and again - years later, that's the main value of a holiday for me.

Unfortunately, we did try the same thing last year, the weather was good and bad (not complaining- we're Irish after all lol) but it wasn't the same, queues everywhere, everything restricted, just like everyone and everything everywhere was but it wasn't a hol, we spent time but didn't have a holiday if that makes sense - we've all agreed that if we can't get abroad this year then we'll just have a few days off at home and save the time and money for whenever we can go on a proper hol.

That's the thing with Irish holidays, there is an awful amount of luck involved with the weather and it's more bad luck than good. Sunny days at the Beach are nice but you can only plan them a day or two in advance.

I stayed in a Mobile home in Clare at the end of August for a week and it was just too cold, too cold to go for an extended time on the beach and there is only so much walking you can do..

Did you manage to see The magic road and St. Kevin's stump? :)

Is there a magic road in Doolin?, been up to the one on they way to jonny foxes and it's brain bending, a ball rolls down the hill but if you take the handbrake off the car at the right point it starts going backwards up the hill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

Some seem to think that this is the moancation thread.

True. Maybe we could arrange some sort of prisoner exchange.
    All the moaners here on the Staycation thread for all the moral police over on the Travel thread. :)

and where did i say this?

you think a holiday is just drinking yeah :confused:

i'll be going away anwyay, let the holier than thou people and begrudgers stay at home and whinge till their hearts content,Ireland is a nation of begrudgers.

You said there was nothing to do after dinner just back to your hotel room. But that was untrue, there is 101 things to do after dinner in Ireland.

Personally i won't begrudge you if you go away, just don't start moaning if we enter another lockdown in Sept if it is due to people bringing a variant of the virus in.

• Advertisement

That's the thing with Irish holidays, there is an awful amount of luck involved with the weather and it's more bad luck than good. Sunny days at the Beach are nice but you can only plan them a day or two in advance.

I stayed in a Mobile home in Clare at the end of August for a week and it was just too cold, too cold to go for an extended time on the beach and there is only so much walking you can do..

We were away for 16 days last year in Kerry, West Cork and Tipp at different times during July and August. We got 13 out of 16 great days 2 shocking days and one mixed showery day. Mobile homes can by quite cold from the middle of August onwards unless they have central heating and double glazing.

josip wrote: »
    True. Maybe we could arrange some sort of prisoner exchange.
    All the moaners here on the Staycation thread for all the moral police over on the Travel thread. :)

I don't care too much for either group tbh. There's plenty of other threads for people to debate the rights and wrongs of international travel. I for one am looking forward to having an Irish holiday come July and enjoy reading about the trips and recommendations some have shared here over the past 9 months or so.

I don't care too much for either group tbh. There's plenty of other threads for people to debate the rights and wrongs of international travel. I for one am looking forward to having an Irish holiday come July and enjoy reading about the trips and recommendations some have shared here over the past 9 months or so.

Then be ready for the mixed bag, moans and praise - unfortunately an 'enjoyable' holiday here can be a matter of luck - I've definitely known both sides.

You said there was nothing to do after dinner just back to your hotel room. But that was untrue, there is 101 things to do after dinner in Ireland.

Personally i won't begrudge you if you go away, just don't start moaning if we enter another lockdown in Sept if it is due to people bringing a variant of the virus in.

There wasnt though, one of my family stayed at home last summer, went down the country, it rained most of the week so they coudnt go anywhere outside the hotel, they had an hour 45 minutes in the hotel bar with food then had to leave,they said never again, lesson learnt and will be going abroad this summer and they are dead right too.

If Holohan gets his way we'd be in lockdown for a number of years with no pubs open and no travel at all,he is a lock down fanatic, i choose to ignore the fear and scaremongering they churn out to the masses every day that so many people tragically believe.

Anyway thats the last ive to say on the issue!

I'm sorry but like what?

No pubs, no cinema, no music, no gym; all the choice you really have is a walk or go back to the room.

• Advertisement

Each to their own and all that, for me personally Ireland is grand for a long weekend, but ive never had an actual proper sun holiday here, you simply cant rely on the weather period, a holiday for me is going abroad to Spain, Greece,etc,etc where you are guaranteed sun and to lie by the pool /beach and get away from it all.

If people choose to holiday at home then that's their perogative and entirely up to them, ill take the test, go abroad on holiday, wear a mask ,social distance,etc all the necessary precautions, take a test coming back, after 5 days ill take the test again and that's that, i dont see where the issue is, you cant arrive into the country now without a negative PCR test, if you do your risking a huge fine or even jail so i think the vast majority of people will adhere to this.

Then be ready for the mixed bag, moans and praise - unfortunately an 'enjoyable' holiday here can be a matter of luck - I've definitely known both sides.

We've had some very enjoyable holidays in Ireland over the last 11 years or so including last summer. Ireland certainly has it's advantages over other destinations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

generally go abroad but did west cork/ cork city several years ago great sceenry in west cork but thats it, accomodation was basic

last year was athlone and waterford which was grand except half the places i want ed to go form athlone (bir castle , clonmacnoise) wer closed due to the offaly lockdown, but accomodation and food is just so pricey here.

did greece and poland before that but i love both those places but after two weeks of perfect sunsets on various greek islands i could have done with a cloud (poland was just so cheap though)

I'm sorry but like what?

No pubs, no cinema, no music, no gym; all the choice you really have is a walk or go back to the room.

Pools and gyms were open in the summer, so were the cinemas.

Cafes were open. You go for a nice cycle, maybe some water activities. Nice parks all around. If near a beach, go surfing or maybe a bit of hill walking if near the mountains. Horse riding also an option.

Only things that werent open fully was the pub and music venues

Pools and gyms were open in the summer, so were the cinemas.

Cafes were open. You go for a nice cycle, maybe some water activities. Nice parks all around. If near a beach, go surfing or maybe a bit of hill walking if near the mountains. Horse riding also an option.

Only things that werent open fully was the pub and music venues

After dinner??? Hill walking and surfing at night aren't really on my agenda I want to relax and chill (like most)- pools and gums were heavily restricted last year and are closed this , the cinemas etc are also currently closed and from big Tony's mutterings wouldn't give confidence in them being open this summer, doubt I'd want to go to a cafe after dinner either, sorry but it makes no sense.

After dinner??? Hill walking and surfing at night aren't really on my agenda I want to relax and chill (like most)- pools and gums were heavily restricted last year and are closed this , the cinemas etc are also currently closed and from big Tony's mutterings wouldn't give confidence in them being open this summer, doubt I'd want to go to a cafe after dinner either, sorry but it makes no sense.

In fairness its winter now when the virus is more rampant after the disaster of an xmas.

Things will open up in the summer like they did last year. Every where I went last year, pubs were open and food was optional and no time limit.

So you want to relax in the evening, where do you want to relax? When I mention spending evenings in the pub, people moan here.

So where do you want to relax on a holiday that wasn't open in the evening?

In fairness its winter now when the virus is more rampant after the disaster of an xmas.

Things will open up in the summer like they did last year. Every where I went last year, pubs were open and food was optional and no time limit.

So you want to relax in the evening, where do you want to relax? When I mention spending evenings in the pub, people moan here.

So where do you want to relax on a holiday that wasn't open in the evening?

You're missing my point though - yes, last year some were open albeit heavily restricted, it didn't 'feel' like a holiday, this year you say there are 101 things to do after dinner but I disagree, unless you're into night surfing (pretty suree that's not allowed either tbh) or something like that it's pretty much back to your room.

What do you want to do, I'm not getting this back to your room thing. I'd say that's hotel/location specific if you felt forced to bed. Certainly not my experience of last summer.

What do you want to do, I'm not getting this back to your room thing. I'd say that's hotel/location specific if you felt forced to bed. Certainly not my experience of last summer.

Are we not discussing the coming summer? Last summer wasn't spectacular in any of the hotels we were in either tbh, we weren't herded back to the room but there wasn't much else to do either, no music or entertainment really, yes we had a few drinks, we're nor sessioneers either so the buzz wore off that quickly (excuse the pun), went for a few walks which were nice but hardly a high point to remember either, maybe night surfing is something I should try - bet I'd remember that for years to come.

You're missing my point though - yes, last year some were open albeit heavily restricted, it didn't 'feel' like a holiday, this year you say there are 101 things to do after dinner but I disagree, unless you're into night surfing (pretty suree that's not allowed either tbh) or something like that it's pretty much back to your room.

There was a 101 things last year too. You seem to be pub focus though, which is ok.

Where we were in the caravan, they had the field behind it, big bbq if you want, the brewery was there serving drink and music till late.

Could bring your own food, your own chairs if you wanted, plenty of tables and seats for all and shelter from the weather if needs be.

Puppet and magic show early on also.

These kind of events were on all over the country last summer, be less restrictive this summer.

The hotel we went for 5 days, had seats outside, again shelter from the weather if needs be and serving beer. Could stay as long as you want.

Yes it wasnt 2019 but still had a great time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement