Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Staycation Ireland.. Anyone doing it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

Hotels differed considerably last summer at differnt times and in different locations.

We stayed in a large hotel in east Cork. Pool was available late but not if taking children so that was ruled out as an evening activity. Besides that you had to prebook a one hour slot at least 24 hours in advance. Hotel bar was only availabe for prebooked 90 minute dinner slots and drinks were only served with food. Drinks could not be purchased for consumption in the lobby or outside. Breakfast times also had to be prebooked.

Literally nothing to do in the evening, after dinner, other than walk the town for the umteenth time where everything was shut with the exception of takeaways or head back to your room.

One evening we got a takeaway and drove to what looked to be an idylic lakeside picnic spot only to find the tables were a meter off the main road. Once the inevitable rain arrived it was pretty miserable.

Definitely opting for self-catering this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Different horses for different courses.

As we are in a great part of the country we had a great summer from home last year and will do the same this year. Plenty of beaches, climbing etc etc etc. Very lucky to have all of that on our doorstep here in the west. The weather made it for the most part.

Now if we lived elsewhere in the country (devoid of such local amenities) there is not a hope in hell we'd staycation here. No chance in hell.

I love the airport, the flying, the nice beer surrounded by foreign people. Just getting away.

Won't be going away this summer either (even if the airports open) but will maybe get away in October.

*Just my meaningless addition to all the chat here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Have booked a week in Lahinch in July, got a 2 bedroom apartment in a hotel with a pool in centre of town for €1k.... Happy with that. Indoor pool gives us some bad weather insurance, but beach, cliffs of moher, Burren, aran Islands gives us lots of distractions.

For €1k in July!! With separate bedrooms, I'm delighted- if it all goes ahead restrictions wise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

That's pretty good, I had stay in the atlantic down the road for 1 night last July and it was €160. Your hotel is way better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

There was a 101 things last year too. You seem to be pub focus though, which is ok.

Where we were in the caravan, they had the field behind it, big bbq if you want, the brewery was there serving drink and music till late.

Could bring your own food, your own chairs if you wanted, plenty of tables and seats for all and shelter from the weather if needs be.

Puppet and magic show early on also.

These kind of events were on all over the country last summer, be less restrictive this summer.

The hotel we went for 5 days, had seats outside, again shelter from the weather if needs be and serving beer. Could stay as long as you want.

Yes it wasnt 2019 but still had a great time.

Out of interest where was this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Since I started the post I've only got to Donegal and cancelled 3 trips to Kinsale and one to Belfast last year

Kinsale this year nearly booked out for the summer

Still shopping around for places to stay

Need something to look forward to

fdevine wrote: »
    Hotels differed considerably last summer at differnt times and in different locations.

We stayed in a large hotel in east Cork. Pool was available late but not if taking children so that was ruled out as an evening activity. Besides that you had to prebook a one hour slot at least 24 hours in advance. Hotel bar was only availabe for prebooked 90 minute dinner slots and drinks were only served with food. Drinks could not be purchased for consumption in the lobby or outside. Breakfast times also had to be prebooked.

Literally nothing to do in the evening, after dinner, other than walk the town for the umteenth time where everything was shut with the exception of takeaways or head back to your room.

One evening we got a takeaway and drove to what looked to be an idylic lakeside picnic spot only to find the tables were a meter off the main road. Once the inevitable rain arrived it was pretty miserable.

Definitely opting for self-catering this year.

Self catering has its advantages in the current climate while many of the attractions and reasons for going to hotels are either curtailed or unavailable for the foreseeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Out of interest where was this?

The campsite was redcross. Heard of others also doing it.

Since I started the post I've only got to Donegal and cancelled 3 trips to Kinsale and one to Belfast last year

Kinsale this year nearly booked out for the summer

Still shopping around for places to stay

Need something to look forward to

Last year we got to redcross 6 times, Waterford twice, wexford 2 times.

• Advertisement

Different horses for different courses.

As we are in a great part of the country we had a great summer from home last year and will do the same this year. Plenty of beaches, climbing etc etc etc. Very lucky to have all of that on our doorstep here in the west. The weather made it for the most part.

Now if we lived elsewhere in the country (devoid of such local amenities) there is not a hope in hell we'd staycation here. No chance in hell.

I love the airport, the flying, the nice beer surrounded by foreign people. Just getting away.

Won't be going away this summer either (even if the airports open) but will maybe get away in October.

*Just my meaningless addition to all the chat here.

Do the research before you go is the key. Lahinch this year for a week, loads to do there or to drive to. Then another trip clifden also later in the summer. Bank hols we be in redcross and many weekends also

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Why do the government not want people travelling abroad to other EU member states. What difference does it make once you wear a mask and keep two metres apart when you go to another country same as you would in Ireland. It makes no sense how is it safe to visit Mayo but not safe to visit Spain.

GT89 wrote: »
    Why do the government not want people travelling abroad to other EU member states. What difference does it make once you wear a mask and keep two metres apart when you go to another country same as you would in Ireland. It makes no sense how is it safe to visit Mayo but not safe to visit Spain.

They don't want you to visit mayo either?

bubblypop wrote: »
    They don't want you to visit mayo either?

I'm talking about in the summer

I'm talking about in the summer

How do you know they don't want you to go overseas in the summer.
    Anything can happen before then

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

bubblypop wrote: »
    How do you know they don't want you to go overseas in the summer.
    Anything can happen before then

I doubt if I go to Mayo that I'll have to quarantine when I get there or when I return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Anyone know a family-friendly multi-day (2 days anyway) trek in Ireland? Something with accomodation along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

It looks like our nearest neighbour is currently negotiating travel corridors with the likes of Greece, Majorca and others, judging by multiple media publications yesterday. I love Ireland and the Wild Atlantic Way, but the option of travel within the EU this summer should not have turned into this tribal nonsense.

Meanwhile the airlines fly empty flights while the customers lose hard earned Euros. Either refund people so they can afford rip off Ireland, or set up a travel pathway with sunnier shores for the summer which is what they should do.

Well if no one leaves Ireland it means less chance of a new variant getting in.

Also there was alot of people coming in from hols last year and testing positive

Anyone know a family-friendly multi-day (2 days anyway) trek in Ireland? Something with accomodation along the way.

What you looking for and age of kids?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

What you looking for and age of kids?

12-17 years old, and nothing too mountainy. I've had my head turned by the kind of walk you do in the Alps with lodges along the way. Suspect there's nothing like this in Ireland though

• Advertisement

12-17 years old, and nothing too mountainy. I've had my head turned by the kind of walk you do in the Alps with lodges along the way. Suspect there's nothing like this in Ireland though

Look at Wicklow? Glendalough hike, powerscourt waterfall and sally gap for a hike.

Kerry probably has some amazing hikes also. Comeragh in Waterford slso

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Also there was alot of people coming in from hols last year and testing positive

It is absolutely ridiculous that you have to spell that out for people. It isn't ****ing rocket science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Can anyone recommend somewhere nice to stay in bundoran?
    2 adults 2 kids and a dog.
    We’ve always wanted to go to Donegal and we have the wetsuits for the beach etc (love a bit of surfing).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

Look up kerry Camino. Also wicklow way.

We have booked another 10 days self catering in the west. Walking distance to beach. Can’t wait. Also booked a weekend in dublin minus the kids but not sure of that will work out.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Jesus, whilst mucking around on booking.com a week in what looks like a B&B above a pub in Wexford in the second half of June is a grand for two adults and two kids....

Jesus, whilst mucking around on booking.com a week in what looks like a B&B above a pub in Wexford in the second half of June is a grand for two adults and two kids....

There are good and bad deals out there. Our self catering has stunning views of sea and cliffs from it. And walking distance to a beach. We are paying 1300 for ten days.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

fits wrote: »
    There are good and bad deals out there. Our self catering has stunning views of sea and cliffs from it. And walking distance to a beach. We are paying 1300 for ten days.

Yeah like anything pays to shop around, remember silly prices last year and assume they will be around this year too given the no foreign travel rule.

fits wrote: »

Whereabouts is that if you don’t mind me asking?

tom1ie wrote: »
    Whereabouts is that if you don’t mind me asking?

I’ll pm you. It’s booked out for most of the summer now though

• Advertisement

The standard of deals on booking.com has been detiorating for some time. It looks like both the quality and quantity of properties listed has also fallen. I've found hotels combined are worth a look along with Airbnb.

just booked what i think is fairly good value.
    ocean sands hotel, 2 bed apartment, 23rd august for 7 nights, for 1400. (2 adults 2 Kids)
    We love enniscrone. Stunning beach and some good food places, the last time we were there.
    We will build the holiday around this and maybe do a few days before this in Donegal or something.
    Something to look forward to!

If there is a new variant from Mayo that could come to Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

To answer the OP. No I’m not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I agree!

When you live in Ireland you always need an Exit door...

I would say travel will be a lot more hassle this year than last Summer/Autumn, just have to see how the next 3 months goes...may be restricted to EU only travel... who knows...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,726 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I won't go abroad this summer but a staycation could be out of my budget as well, I think failte Ireland and the govt need to do more to make holidaying in Ireland more appealing or else we're going to have a repeat of last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Minier81

I wonder if the extend the stay and spend tax break.

I won't go abroad this summer but a staycation could be out of my budget as well, I think failte Ireland and the govt need to do more to make holidaying in Ireland more appealing or else we're going to have a repeat of last year

Too early to loose heart. What kind of holiday are you looking for?
    covid is seen as a temporary blip to travel plans by many. A lot of the hospitality industry is geared towards international tourists and as illustrated above some of our own seem offended at the notion of holidaying in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Were you reading the times the other day?

• Advertisement

Build a roof?
    What could they do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

C'mon lad stretch your legs a bit, it's a beautiful Island full of beautiful coastline.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I agree!

When you live in Ireland you always need an Exit door...

I would say travel will be a lot more hassle this year than last Summer/Autumn, just have to see how the next 3 months goes...may be restricted to EU only travel... who knows...!

EU only would do rightly. Behaved myself all through the last year WFH, no household visits, house parties, stayed inside 5/2km etc while watching plenty around me behave like the selfish assholes they are(as I type I am listening to the neighbours doing a bloody good impersonation of a pub smoking area with their similarly minded friends though the living room wall yet again). The first available opportunity I'm off this rain sodden dump for a couple of weeks in more civilised climes.

EU only would do rightly. Behaved myself all through the last year WFH, no household visits, house parties, stayed inside 5/2km etc while watching plenty around me behave like the selfish assholes they are(as I type I am listening to the neighbours doing a bloody good impersonation of a pub smoking area with their similarly minded friends though the living room wall yet again). The first available opportunity I'm off this rain sodden dump for a couple of weeks in more civilised climes.

We all feel like that. Its best not to give any mental strength to it.
    However our family would prefer to abide by the restrictions that 99% of people are following.
    Returning to work for so many people depends in getting the virus numbers down.
    Is travel a huge contributing factor to that Maybe not, but all you need are a few cases of a variant brought back.

And when Ireland hopefully opens up this year we will again do our bit to spend some money in Kerry, Cork, Sligo or wherever we decide to go

While the great hotel cash grab is always alive and well attitudes from Irish holiday makers need to change big time to make it more pleasurable for all too. Far too common to see someone being ignorant and rude to staff because they’re used to going and treating Manuel like dirt out in the sun every year. Sickening to see and would put you off the popular spots, and it’s not up to the government to teach decency and manners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

"Rain sodden dump". Charming.

Amazing the people complaining in the thread seem to come across as people who go to the same parts of Spain / Portugal every year, spend their time surrounded by Irish people in cattlemart-like hotels, drinking in Irish bars, and then telling everyone how big a kip Ireland is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Well, yes I suffered through the house parties from people who decided to "holiday" at home, sound systems, kegs of beer, marquee tents, BBQ's the lot.... So I made sure to escape the country a number of times to Travel to the sun where I could have a beer and wander more than 5k from home, was amazing and can't wait to get back out there....Have no intention of paying more for petrol to drive somewhere nice in Ireland than I would to fly to Greece, to pay more for a night at an Irish B&B than I would for a 5 star hotel abroad....

Complications in 2021? PCR tests at borders, Quarantine upon return to Ireland and Vaccination passports to travel etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Lavish

May be start journey at the end of june

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

There was a 101 things last year too. You seem to be pub focus though, which is ok.

Where we were in the caravan, they had the field behind it, big bbq if you want, the brewery was there serving drink and music till late.

Could bring your own food, your own chairs if you wanted, plenty of tables and seats for all and shelter from the weather if needs be.

Puppet and magic show early on also.

These kind of events were on all over the country last summer, be less restrictive this summer.

The hotel we went for 5 days, had seats outside, again shelter from the weather if needs be and serving beer. Could stay as long as you want.

Yes it wasnt 2019 but still had a great time.

Definitely not really pub focussed with two kids along, just wanted some form of entertainment, yes, we stayed in a few hotels that had beer garden type set ups but that wasn’t really what we had wanted, there didn’t seem to be any music or the likes anywhere we went (even a puppet show like that or a match on the tv would’ve been brilliant).

There’s also the fact that prices were way over what they were in 2019 probably increased my own disappointment lol. I did put quite a lot more work into last years hol than I normally would have to too but it was a bit of a waste tbh.
    We’ve had some of our best holidays here but last year it just didn’t ‘feel’ that good, just my own experience.

Glad you found somewhere with a bit of craic but honestly there weren’t many places like that available from what I could see.

Anyway, I wish anyone planning a staycation the best and (as always) would recommend Cork as part of it - from a Meath man.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

So the whole country is responsible for your miserable existence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Sam Hain wrote: »
    So the whole country is responsible for your miserable existence.

What dya want me to say? Enjoy your overpriced week in some cold wet ****hole on the west coast that had its heyday in DeValeras time. But at least you can Instagram that €7 Guinness outside the twee thatched roof pub while you wait for your €25 frozen cod and chips. Good times.

• Advertisement
Advertisement