Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Staycation Ireland.. Anyone doing it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

fdevine wrote: »
    Pre COVID I have never been to a hotel anywhere that required having a reservation for breakfast, which is what I believe other posters mean by booking.

The issue we had was that you had to pre-book a specific time for breakfast. In our case, on at least one morning, we couldn't get the same time slot for all of us together. No takeout and no room option.

Hotel we stayed in had an online (external) reservation system for breakfast and dinner and slots were being filled 2-3 days in advance.

A lot of places pre covid would advise that certain times were busier than others. Booking meals times is now the norm in most hotels I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

Any hotel i was ever in pre covid, you had to book breakfast. From the standard to the very best hotels out there.

I think duffy meant booking a time for breakfast, rather than the paying for it as part of your stay.
    I agree with him, it was a bit of extra pressure in the morning to be down for your slot.
    Especially with kids and

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

Never ever had to book breakfast in a hotel pre covid and never heard of anyone else having to do this, this is most definitely news to me. Would have stayed in a lot of hotels both personally and work related

Also, booking a breakfast for a couple may be straightforward but i cab tell you booking breakfast for a family with three kids is not as easy as it may sound
    Any hotel i was ever in pre covid, you had to book breakfast. From the standard to the very best hotels out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

duffysfarm wrote: »
    Never ever had to book breakfast in a hotel pre covid and never heard of anyone else having to do this, this is most definitely news to me. Would have stayed in a lot of hotels both personally and work related

Also, booking a breakfast for a couple may be straightforward but i cab tell you booking breakfast for a family with three kids is not as easy as it may sound

Would of had to do it load of times for our family when away.

Can't actually remember a time where we didn't. They would ask you when checking in, breakfast is this time, what time would you like to come down at.

Always booked the earlier slot with the kids, as be up early and ready to go. The kids trips would of been at peak times, maybe that's why

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

A holiday for me is an exotic location and some "different" weather, preferably warm... or even hot.

Not 150 miles down the road in rain and cloud and having the option "to head home this is ****e"

If there is not an option to fly by June or July then this government have made a complete f*ckfest of things

as a few have already alluded to Belfast will have a bumper year this summer, looks like those of us who plan on going abroad as usual will have to fly in and out of Belfast, im 100% going abroad same as last year, leave the doom and gloom merchants and scaremongering behind for a week in the sun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

duffysfarm wrote: »

You need to stay in better hotels
    Often had to do this in asia where they had table service for breakfast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

I love the way on boards someone can start a thread on staycations in Ireland and later on some one ends up telling you to go to a better hotel in Asia just so you can pre book breakfast!!

Ok, must go to Asia so.....
    You need to stay in better hotels
    Often had to do this in asia where they had table service for breakfast.

Its a staycation thread.

Not the moan-a-minute thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭wandererz

Got a week self catering in Connemara end of July, 3 bed cottage, Sat to Sat.
    €426

Booked the same again first week in Sept. Slightly cheaper.
    Pet friendly, loads of outside space for the dogs to run around. 5min walk to the village.

Lots of options of walks, hikes, sightseeing, islands etc.

I think there's a bbq on the premises but i'll pack the pizza oven as well.

Not interested in swimming pools or restaurants etc in these covid times.

4.9 star rating from others.

2 weeks for €800, is a bargain.

Spent 10 nights last Aug/Sept in a cottage near Carna, Galway and enjoyed it too.
    Peat fire for the nights, next to a lake, close to beaches and great food.
    10 nights there was €775.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

as a few have already alluded to Belfast will have a bumper year this summer, looks like those of us who plan on going abroad as usual will have to fly in and out of Belfast, im 100% going abroad same as last year, leave the doom and gloom merchants and scaremongering behind for a week in the sun.

Might have too go that route myself by the look of things. Reading through pages of people pretending holidays in Ireland are just as good etc. Jesus the misery of it like. I wonder do they believe it themselves even.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭whomadewho

Had no plans for travel this year and holding out going to UK. Will miss travelling to Europe especially Italy so deciding on Staycation

Have trips to Cork and Donegal for family holiday.

Just looking for users thoughts and if they are doing a staycation and is middle of July to early to start?

Like to see more of Northern Ireland especially along the coast. Would like to take parents, both in 70's but not sure about staying at a hotel maybe holiday home.They both want to see Titanic and Giants causeway but I'm bit nervous.

Just looking for some input

For the previous 8 years, I travelled to asia/south east Asia, and I would have been there again but but due to the lock down. Me and the missus decided to do the Wild Atlantic Way. Started of in Kinsale in Cork and travelled along the coast to Belmullet in Mayo. Have to say, on a sunny day, you won't see better scenry any where in world.
    Ring of bera, Bere island, Baltimore, Mizen head in Cork were amazing, the sun split in sky. Pissed rain all through kerry, so couldn't c a thing, but the sun came out in valentia island. The burren, Killkee cliffs in Clare. Connemarra and Killary fjord, Clifton in Galway. Croake Patrick, Achill island, Bellmullet in Mayo. We have so much on our door step here in Ireland and many people will never get to see it, only for the covid I probably wouldn't have seen it myself. Hopefully looking forward to continuing the trip in the summer.

wandererz wrote: »
    €426

Pet friendly, loads of outside space for the dogs to run around. 5min walk to the village.

Spent 10 nights last Aug/Sept in a cottage near Carna, Galway and enjoyed it too.

Sounds exactly like the place I booked in Letterfrack. Some good deals on the west coast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

wandererz wrote: »
    €426

sounds very nice.
    do ya mind me asking what website you used to come across this?
    thanks. Nice to get the thread back on track aswell! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭snowgal

We are way to late to the game here! Wanted to do our whole extended family for a few nights or week to get together self catering, not a chance for July or August. Our own fault we left it too late :rolleyes:

tom1ie wrote: »
    sounds very nice.
    do ya mind me asking what website you used to come across this?
    thanks. Nice to get the thread back on track aswell! :pac:

Booked all of them via Airbnb.
    It takes a bit of effort, but it's easy to input your requirements, budget etc and select to search as you scroll so that you see prices etc as you move around the map.

Easier if you do it on a computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭finbarrk

snowgal wrote: »
    We are way to late to the game here! Wanted to do our whole extended family for a few nights or week to get together self catering, not a chance for July or August. Our own fault we left it too late :rolleyes:

Hardly too late yet.

finbarrk wrote: »
    Hardly too late yet.

Agreed! People's plans change and given most properties can be easily cancelled it is likely properties will become available as time moves on. Some properties haven't advertised yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Got a week in holiday home in Kinsale in August and a few days in Westport end of June

If me hole and Co scuffer my plans again with their soundbytes... I will sit in local park on deckchair and cans :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭fits

I think we might look for a few extra days in Tipperary /Cork Limerick before our ten days in kerry. Maybe away from the sea for something a little different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,247 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Any advice on where to go with young family myself the wife and 3 kids 11 9 and 6

We were gonna book trabolgan as have been there before but I'm just thinking about something different

• Advertisement

Any advice on where to go with young family myself the wife and 3 kids 11 9 and 6

We were gonna book trabolgan as have been there before but I'm just thinking about something different

This place is good. Lovely beach beside it. Aran Islands.
    https://www.irelandglamping.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,247 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Any other suggestions folks no availability on aran islands glamping site

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Skipduke

Watervile Kerry so central

Have a look at facebook groups there are a couple of staycation groups with providers offering various accommodation options.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Aren't all these "staycation" options very similar though, go camping or rent a house / cottage near the mountains or small village and enjoy the countryside... walking around is all well and good for an hour but it wont fill a week, barely a weekend. There'll be one rural pub that will not do food and the other option being you make your own at the rented place, it just sounds dreary as piss.

A ten day break is a holiday, in something / somewhere different, relaxing with nice weather (proper nice, not the ****e that people call a summer here), some good eateries and a nice few bars to take in, in the evening.

Aren't all these "staycation" options very similar though, go camping or rent a house / cottage near the mountains or small village and enjoy the countryside... walking around is all well and good for an hour but it wont fill a week, barely a weekend. There'll be one rural pub that will not do food and the other option being you make your own at the rented place, it just sounds dreary as piss.

A ten day break is a holiday, in something / somewhere different, relaxing with nice weather (proper nice, not the ****e that people call a summer here), some good eateries and a nice few bars to take in, in the evening.

Most hikes will last a full day or even cycles. Can do another one the next day or drive to some where else close by. So much to see in these areas.

Where there is mountains, there is rivers, so kayaking is an option. Horse riding also.

But if your not into this kind of stuff, then its not for that person.

Even when on Sun hols, i wouldnt be by the pool all the time, be off kayaking, horse riding, cycling, wall climbing, sailing etc. Great stuff for the kids

Most hikes will last a full day or even cycles. Can do another one the next day or drive to some where else close by. So much to see in these areas.

Where there is mountains, there is rivers, so kayaking is an option. Horse riding also.

But if your not into this kind of stuff, then its not for that person.

Even when on Sun hols, i wouldnt be by the pool all the time, be off kayaking, horse riding, cycling, wall climbing, sailing etc. Great stuff for the kids

Ireland's attractions are mostly out door. We do not have loads of museums, art galleries or exhibitions like Paris, Rome and London.

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Ireland's attractions are mostly out door. We do not have loads of museums, art galleries or exhibitions like Paris, Rome and London.

True, but the pubs in every town and village double up as museums and galleries.

And there's beer :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Ssssh your spoiling the group think as promoted by our government betters that Ireland is just as good and only twice as expensive as those high faluting places beyond in the continent. Just shut up and pay your money and support your local FFG donor, I mean hotelier.

• Advertisement

True, its not something I am into, prefer to be outdoors in fresh air and away from cities.

As i said its down to the individual

I don't know would this place suit you. It's in my area.
    https://purecamping.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,654 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Such a shame that David McGowan never managed to get his glamping site in Enniscrone up and running - he'd clean up in the current climate!

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Such a shame that David McGowan never managed to get his glamping site in Enniscrone up and running - he'd clean up in the current climate!

Well, he was good at self promotion anyway. Not so good at actually planning something that was viable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,654 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Well, he was good at self promotion anyway. Not so good at actually planning something that was viable
    Gotta love a dreamer!

Who actually took action on said dreams. I'd like to think it was just timing that did for him

He might come good yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Does he still have that airplane on the site? Whatever happened that it didnt get going?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Ssssh your spoiling the group think as promoted by our government betters that Ireland is just as good and only twice as expensive as those high faluting places beyond in the continent. Just shut up and pay your money and support your local FFG donor, I mean hotelier.
    I have had plenty of great holidays in Ireland.
    Granted going abroad can be nice, but 1000s just go to some resort in Spain to spend all day lying on a beach. That would be no holiday for me.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Does he still have that airplane on the site? Whatever happened that it didnt get going?

Is this the happy under taker?

Struck me more as a vanity project than a viable business proposition. I mentioned it to the guy running the Cape Clear Glamping site at the time and he didn't think it added up either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I have a heap of One4All vouchers to use.
    Probably enough for 2 week in a hotel at Irish summer prices.
    Yet, very few hotels seem to take them.
    AirBnB dont take them.
    I cant even use them on Amazon anymore.
    Is there anywhere I can use them?
    Dont say centerparcs. :) Been there and my wallet may never recover. The prce / experience factor is heavily weighted to the price side.

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I have a heap of One4All vouchers to use.
    Probably enough for 2 week in a hotel at Irish summer prices.
    Yet, very few hotels seem to take them.
    AirBnB dont take them.
    I cant even use them on Amazon anymore.
    Is there anywhere I can use them?
    Dont say centerparcs. :) Been there and my wallet may never recover. The prce / experience factor is heavily weighted to the price side.

The quality hotel in Youghal used to take them. Dreamireland.com self catering site do still I believe.

Is this the happy under taker?

Struck me more as a vanity project than a viable business proposition. I mentioned it to the guy running the Cape Clear Glamping site at the time and he didn't think it added up either.

It was a way to use some money the tax man probably didn't know about

• Advertisement

It was a way to use some money the tax man probably didn't know about

No idea if this was the case or not.

Did the place ever open?

I stayed in Corcreggan Mill Dunfanaghy about 10 years ago or so when it was under different owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Judging by reports, no one will be allowed to staycation until at least may, you june will be ruled out also. Make sure you have a free cancellation booking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Minier81

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    Judging by reports, no one will be allowed to staycation until at least may, you june will be ruled out also. Make sure you have a free cancellation booking

Hope my Munster may holiday happens. Haven't paid a penny but really looking forward to the break. Wait and see.

Mother cracker!

Irish Examiner: Donnelly: 'Too early to advise' if staycations will be allowed this summer.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40229837.html

No need to for the racist comments either Mr Donnelly:

"Mr Donnelly said the vaccine offers "more than a chink of light" ."

UDAWINNER wrote: »

It could be June 29th or so again before people can move freely from county to county. The leaving cert could also be a factor in how quickly restrictions are eased.

It could be June 29th or so again before people can move freely from county to county. The leaving cert could also be a factor in how quickly restrictions are eased.

Same as last year so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭combat14

yes really hoping reopening all the schools in march doesnt mean we are trapped in own counties all summer now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Well, I dunno about everyone else, but how can anyone plan and book a domestic holiday this year?
    No idea when the 5k limit will be lifted, will it move to a 20k limit or a no travel outside your county... Will NPHET want people moving around the country before October when a critical mass of people have been jabbed?
    Even if restrictions are lifted in June or July, how many businesses will be able to gear up and open within a month....Can the domestic tourism industry restart like a light switch?

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0220/1198280-taoiseach-restrictions/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Muahahaha wrote: »

It's still sitting there, doing nothing, becoming an eyesore. It's a pity, because I was there when it came off the barge and that was a fantastic night

It's still sitting there, doing nothing, becoming an eyesore. It's a pity, because I was there when it came off the barge and that was a fantastic night

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Quirky+Nights+Glamping+Village/@54.2089558,-9.0973938,600m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4859316577332497:0xb7478946c4da2576!8m2!3d54.2089684!4d-9.096514

• Advertisement
Advertisement