Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Staycation Ireland.. Anyone doing it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Mossie1975

We’re off to our secret Kerry spot this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭wandererz

Had a B&B place booked in Kerry for late August but cancelled it when Covid hit as i didn't think we would be over it by then.

Had a quick look around this week and managed to get an idyllic farmhouse cottage outside Kenmare for €580 for 7 nights the 1st week of Sept.

At least it gets us out of Dublin for a week, gets us some fresh country air, some good vistas and what i love most: absolute quiet & starry skies.

We have 2 small dogs and that always has to be factored in when holidaying abroad, in terms of who we leave them with, where and the cost. That cost can add up. This time we can bring them with.

Two years ago we shared a farmhouse with a German/Danish family (mom, daughter & son in-law) and had a great time.

Beaches are not too far away and don't have to worry about eating out if i bring the gas bbq and pizza oven.

Weather-wise, i've been in Kerry in August with atrocious weather and then had great Septembers many a time. So i'm hoping that's the way it pans out. But it's not a deal-breaker.

All-in-all, €600 for a week for a 3 bed cottage that suits our needs is a pittance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Don’t see how it is attractive or in any way an incentive for Irish people.
    Not like the hotels have come down in price or offered any sort of extras to get their own people in.
    I get that it’s for the hoteliers, but if it’s rolled out in late September the likelihood of people Using it with children back at school etc is greatly reduced. The weather gets cold and crappier again.
    It’s not aimed for ordinary Irish people so they should stop marketing it as that, or pretend they’re doing us a favor in the various journalism sh*te articles

I take your point this is aimed at helping the industry more than the people directly.

But not everyone has kids.
    It's also aimed at luring the below sorts of ordinary Irish people who might usually have holidayed abroad such as:
    Retirees
    People with kids below school age
    Weekend getaways for couples
    Golf \ activity type weekends

Plus if you eat out in a restaurant that's part of the scheme the food portion of your bill seems to be eligible for the rebate.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

wandererz wrote: »
    Had a B&B place booked in Kerry for late August but cancelled it when Covid hit as i didn't think we would be over it by then.

Had a quick look around this week and managed to get an idyllic farmhouse cottage outside Kenmare for €580 for 7 nights the 1st week of Sept.

At least it gets us out of Dublin for a week, gets us some fresh country air, some good vistas and what i love most: absolute quiet & starry skies.

We have 2 small dogs and that always has to be factored in when holidaying abroad, in terms of who we leave them with, where and the cost. That cost can add up. This time we can bring them with.

Two years ago we shared a farmhouse with a German/Danish family (mom, daughter & son in-law) and had a great time.

Beaches are not too far away and don't have to worry about eating out if i bring the gas bbq and pizza oven.

Weather-wise, i've been in Kerry in August with atrocious weather and then had great Septembers many a time. So i'm hoping that's the way it pans out. But it's not a deal-breaker.

All-in-all, €600 for a week for a 3 bed cottage that suits our needs is a pittance.

Kenmare's a great location, good eating options if you feel like a break from cooking and easy access to both the Beara and Iveragh peninsulas.
    Enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

Heading off next week to Killarney for 3 nights and Doolin for 2. Staying in the Gleneagle apartments in Killarney and a cottage from AirBnB in Doolin. Its expensive but after working from home the last 4 or 5 months I need a break so its worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Searched through Groupon and Living Social. Nothing there I can remotely afford. Are there any alternative travel deal websites with drastically different prices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

The_Brood wrote: »
    Searched through Groupon and Living Social. Nothing there I can remotely afford. Are there any alternative travel deal websites with drastically different prices?

What kind of prices are you looking for and for how many people?

I find Groupon and Living Social usually have discounts for already expensive hotels, so the reduced prices are still quite expensive.

I find B&Bs and guesthouses tend to be the best value in Ireland. I just start off on tripadvisor entering the location and date, then filter by B&Bs & Inns. Tripadvisor will give you the prices based on websites such as hotels.com, booking.com etc. But if you go on their own website, you'll often find better rates listed there if you book directly. Sometimes you need to email/ring them directly to even found out their availability. It does involve a bit of legwork, but bargains can be found (depending on your location, budget etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Try Pigsback.com aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Since the staycation subsidy is running from October to April across 2 tax years does that mean we can claim the tax back twice? Or just the once?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Seamai wrote: »
    The other half is off next week so we as are doing some day trips. Thinking of going Sligo and possibly up into Donegal in September (no kids in the picture) we're not familiar with that part of the country and for us there will be plenty to do and see, archeological sites, scenery and hill walking, hopefully going to a pub will be possible but it wont be the end of the world if not.

Check out beach bar in Aughris, Sligo

• Advertisement

The_Brood wrote: »

You need to ring hotels.
    Those discount websites take commission off the hotels and they'd prefer to sell it directly to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Kerry25x wrote: »
    Since the staycation subsidy is running from October to April across 2 tax years does that mean we can claim the tax back twice? Or just the once?

I would imagine we will claim for Oct - Dec 2020 expenses in early 2021 and for Jan - Apr expenses in early 2022.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

staying in a hotel at the minute (4 star - dont know if that makes any difference) we ate in the bar first night and staff were over 3 or 4 times during meal to see if everything was ok. was told that breakfast was 7-10 and gets busy at 9.30 so we went down at 8.30. got full irish and it was one rasher, two sausages, one egg, black & white pudding and about 4 mushrooms. there was three slices of bread toasted for 5 people. we got the breakfasts and no one came back near us at all for the rest of the meal. i appreciate that buffets are gone for now but i though this was piss poor. in one way i am mad with myself that i am on here talking about it so will see how it goes in the morning. if it was a buffet you could go for your fry and then maybe toast or a muffin but now it seems really awkward and i would feel embarrassed asking for more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

duffysfarm wrote: »
    but now it seems really awkward and i would feel embarrassed asking for more

I can almost guarantee that they would not bat an eyelid if you asked for extra toast, sausage, bacon or beans in the morning. Give it a go, ask with a smile exactly what you fancy and I expect that you would be pleasantly surprised with the hospitality.

We are pretty good at hospitality in this country, the Americans are certainly not worried about asking:D

Going for our first grub and pints this Sunday
    Looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭GeneralSherman

We spent a great week in Sligo the start of July. Myself, himself, our 4 teens and a nephew. Rented a 4 bed apartment at St.Angela's College for €825 (fabulously clean, modern and well equpped with 180 degree views of Lough Gill) Cooked a couple of nights and did takeaway a few. Hired kayaks on Lough Gill, swam at Rosses Point, surfed in Enniscrone and climbed Knocknarea and admired the beauty of Ben Bulben, Mullaghmore and Glencar. We will return as there's lots more e didn't get around to. We worked around the weather which ovecast but mostly dry.

In The Lodge at Ashford Castle for one night. Expensive but lovely for a special treat. I see a lot of dogs staying in the hotel, the rooms open out onto a lawn, so it's quite suitable. It was sodding wet yesterday when I arrived and kind of ruined what should have been a lovely walk around the castle. Ate at Cullens at the Cottage, a lovely fish restaurant on the estate, which is fine dining but not ott in price.

Stayed in Radisson Blu Athlone previous night. Visited Dún na Sí heritage park nearby, also Athlone Castle. The back roads drive to Cong is windy, but interesting and passes through some beautifully kept villages, unlike the more downbeat ones in the Midlands. Stopped by the amazing Ross Errilly Franciscan Friary bear Headford, which is free to visit and a complex ruin in a great state of preservation. Heading to Clifden today for six nights self-catering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

Heading to Clifden today for six nights self-catering.

If you haven’t been there before then I highly recommend a drive along the Sky road, it’s awesome.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

bladespin wrote: »
    If you haven’t been there before then I highly recommend a drive along the Sky road, it’s awesome.

Was there as a child, will bring back happy memories!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

With the combination of the weather and the prices, a staycation is looking as appealing as Donald's holiday here: https://youtu.be/S-PZVrWvJM0?t=398

• Registered Users Posts: 5 deemulryan

Almost everyone in my work is going for a staycation. Seems like Cork is a pretty popular spot these days. Can't decide on North or South coast never been to either so any help would be great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

deemulryan wrote: »
    Almost everyone in my work is going for a staycation. Seems like Cork is a pretty popular spot these days. Can't decide on North or South coast never been to either so any help would be great!

If you’re thinking cork. I’d recommend the Garryvoe Hotel. Beach on your doorstep, Ballycotton and Castlemartyr 10 mins from there. Both excellent for pubs and food.
    Midleton for the Jameson experience,fota wildlife park youghal strand is a nice beach too, not far away.
    Personally think Garryvoe is class. Hotel has 3 bars so you could do a mini pub crawl ;-) also has a pool, outdoor jacuzzi and a gym

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭rainagain

Seamai wrote: »
    The other half is off next week so we as are doing some day trips. Thinking of going Sligo and possibly up into Donegal in September (no kids in the picture) we're not familiar with that part of the country and for us there will be plenty to do and see, archeological sites, scenery and hill walking, hopefully going to a pub will be possible but it wont be the end of the world if not.

Just back from Sligo. Bring the wets and check the Sligo Walks website, I found it useful. I recommend dinner in the Driftwood in Rosses Point (book well ahead - we stayed there and I had booked dinner for the night we arrived, was lucky to be squeezed in for another dinner. I really enjoyed both meals, and the breakfasts).

We did kayaking with Sligo Kayak Tours, horseriding with Island View stables and learned a bit about herding with Atlantic Sheepdogs for something different. Sligo never disappoints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

We spent a great week in Sligo the start of July. Myself, himself, our 4 teens and a nephew. Rented a 4 bed apartment at St.Angela's College for €825 (fabulously clean, modern and well equpped with 180 degree views of Lough Gill) Cooked a couple of nights and did takeaway a few. Hired kayaks on Lough Gill, swam at Rosses Point, surfed in Enniscrone and climbed Knocknarea and admired the beauty of Ben Bulben, Mullaghmore and Glencar. We will return as there's lots more e didn't get around to. We worked around the weather which ovecast but mostly dry.

Sounds nice, would you have a link or name of the apartment?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

West Waterford really busy today . Loads of camper vans about too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

zweton wrote: »
    Sounds nice, would you have a link or name of the apartment?

https://www.sala.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

To be honest we're not going to be taking the risk this year, we live in a very rural area here in Co Limerick and we're going to stay put here this Summer, not worth the risk of being in contact with other people in hotels, restaurants, etc. We have a lovely garden and outside space here along with lovely country walks, so if the weather is nice we're self-sufficent in that sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

One place I found recently, carrig Island in North kerry check it out for a castle, battery Fort and plenty of walks. Like scattery minus a ferry.

Went to clonmacnoise today, yes it is definitely worth seeing. Spent nearly 2 hours discovering the entire site and went to clonony Castle. Shannon Bridge has a massive fortification but closed. :(

Aiming to do the Athlone greenway this week and will be around tullamore, any off the beaten track recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Irish_rat wrote: »
    One place I found recently, carrig Island in North kerry check it out for a castle, battery Fort and plenty of walks. Like scattery minus a ferry.

Went to clonmacnoise today, yes it is definitely worth seeing. Spent nearly 2 hours discovering the entire site and went to clonony Castle. Shannon Bridge has a massive fortification but closed. :(

Aiming to do the Athlone greenway this week and will be around tullamore, any off the beaten track recommendations?

Loch Boora. Interestng track and trails with a small centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Rain forecast 5 days out of the next 8.

That's the reason so many Irish people holiday abroad, bottom line.

It might not rain and people will still complain its not sunny. Those that are into hiking/surfing/walking/cycling won't actually mind too much, it's more so the beach bum crowd which don't normally holiday here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭combat14

sligo or mayo for 3 or 4 nights any thoughts on which county is best to visit appreciated ?!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

Royal Canal Greenway, Lockes Distillery Kilbeggan

It might not rain and people will still complain its not sunny. Those that are into hiking/surfing/walking/cycling won't actually mind too much, it's more so the beach bum crowd which don't normally holiday here.

Aww you have to admit weather has a big impact on holiday plans, along with the cost of the staycation, they have a saddle on us money wise in comparison to a week in Spain, that's why we're staying put this year along with the health risks

I started stated in self-catering in Clifden last night, for 6 nights. My 2 bedded apartment is of poor standard, as drab as could be. Really can't face six nights here. Spent about €2009 on what I could have got for approx lesss than €500 less than same price in Asford DB&B, single. Furious.

I started stated in self-catering in Clifden last night, for 6 nights. My 2 bedded apartment is of poor standard, as drab as could be. Really can't face six nights here. Spent about €2009 on what I could have got for approx lesss than €500 less than same price in Asford DB&B, single. Furious.

Yes that's prime example of why we're staying at home in our own house this Summer, why do people feel the need to be ripped off in this way :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Ashford Castle??
    Drab interior or just bad condition?How you book it?

We both have a week off in Oct (both working from home but if we don't take 5 days leave we'll lose them by the end of the month, still have 22 days each left until the end of the year, me semi-state, OH private with a lot of perks) so we have tentaviley planned a few days away in Connenmara, all very affordable (they'll be glad to see any guests in October), so what is all this rush with people having to go off on holidays in July when prices are at a peak and when the pandimic is by no means over, I'd geniuely be very worried about going away, staying in a hotel, etc, as things stand.

sasta le wrote: »
    Ashford Castle??
    Drab interior or just bad condition?How you book it?

Ashford Castle Lodge was absolutely beautiful. Staying now at Station House Hotel Apartments, Clifden. I just can't really take it much more, considering the huge price I paid, and the fact they stayed they are luxury apartments. When I spent the one night at Ashford Lodge B&B (sumptuous) with fine dinner with two huge glasses of wine at Cullens in the estate it came to total if €230 single, I am paying very well over €300 per night where I am in Clifden for self catering, albeit with two bedrooms. I hD been prepared to splash out a bit for the advertised "luxury". Would have been a lot better off staying at Ashford a bit and being pampered .

Mind you, when the sun is out, the scenery on the Connemara coast is the mist stunning in the world! It deserves fitting hotels.

Ashford Castle Lodge was absolutely beautiful. Staying now at Station House Hotel Apartments, Clifden. I just can't really take it much more, considering the huge price I paid, and the fact they stayed they are luxury apartments. When I spent the one night at Ashford Lodge B&B (sumptuous) with fine dinner with two huge glasses of wine at Cullens in the estate it came to total if €230 single, I am paying very well over €300 per night where I am in Clifden for self catering, albeit with two bedrooms. I hD been prepared to splash out a bit for the advertised "luxury". Would have been a lot better off staying at Ashford a bit and being pampered .

Mind you, when the sun is out, the scenery on the Connemara coast is the mist stunning in the world! It deserves fitting hotels.

Thought Ashford was more expensive...now that's still dear but sounds like you got well treated
    I'd love to try it for one night over a few nights being ripped off in Galway or Kerry

I've been that soldier, Ireland in general is "rip off" central, no way would I pay that kind of money, that's why we usually go to Spain or if we are doing a few days away in Ireland we leave it 'til Sept/Oct/Nov, never during the Summer months, you live and learn.

• Advertisement

Did 2 nights in Donegal last week first time going and very last minute
    Great scenery but Donegal town wasnt great Buncranna the next night was same but saves by a great meal in a place called the Red Door
    Was thinking of maybe another 2 small trips away but no point really

Thought Ashford was more expensive...now that's still dear but sounds like you got well treated
    I'd love to try it for one night over a few nights being ripped off in Galway or Kerry

Yes I have no problem paying a premium for luxury and we have done so in the past - the Europe Hotel in Killarney being a prime example - but no way would I pay that kind of money for an apartment in Clifden just because it's in the month of July, madness.

Wonder is there any value to be had in Northern Ireland I'm gonna have a look in a bit

Wonder is there any value to be had in Northern Ireland I'm gonna have a look in a bit

Sterling is fairly good at the moment 1.10 euro to the £1 sterling but still it's a different world up there particularly at this time of the year with the orange marches, I wouldn't be going near the place until at the earliest September.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Accommodation much cheaper up there.....try Portrush area it's very nice and close to Giant's Causeway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

GoneHome wrote: »
    Sterling is fairly good at the moment 1.10 euro to the £1 sterling but still it's a different world up there particularly at this time of the year with the orange marches, I wouldn't be going near the place until at the earliest September.

What Orange marches? Do you watch the news at all?

Caranica wrote: »
    You mean staying in a garden shed in Portumna? Awful place. Did two nights there once, never again!

See this one pop up on social media alot how did you find it

Accommodation much cheaper up there.....try Portrush area it's very nice and close to Giant's Causeway.

Not at this time of year though, this is the time of year (orange march season) when all the Northern people get the f%&k out of there

Not at this time of year though, this is the time of year (orange march season) when all the Northern people get the f%&k out of there

Is it really that bad?In tourist spots?Or they just very unfriendly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Rubbish. Family member just returned from there. Very impressed by area. Less than half the Killarney prices for accommodation. Kids loved it. Fab beaches and no parades.

Advertisement