Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 week queue in LBS for repair/service

Options
  • 14-06-2020 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I use a well known bike store on the northside of Dublin as my go to servicing centre. Called them the other day for a few things the bike needs (a couple of urgent items taking the bike out of action). Was told there's a 6 week wait!

I didn't call around but anyone else having a similar experience? I may end up going somewhere new! Also might be time to order some tools and lean on YouTube!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭cletus

jon1981 wrote: »
    Hey,

I use a well known bike store on the northside of Dublin as my go to servicing centre. Called them the other day for a few things the bike needs (a couple of urgent items taking the bike out of action). Was told there's a 6 week wait!

I didn't call around but anyone else having a similar experience? I may end up going somewhere new! Also might be time to order some tools and lean on YouTube!

It seems to be a common theme throughout lockdown.

What jobs need to be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Hey,

Is it s job you could learn to do your self? Plenty advice on here and on line. I've managed to do most bike maintenance myself. What's kind of job is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

The rear hub (Zonda) is shot, very rough and in irritating enough for me to call it a show stopper! I actually already bit the bullet and ordered a new freehub and wheel bearings about 2 mins ago :D I knew what to order from advice posted on a previous thread.

The other issue is the front derailleur, it's out of index and I just can't seem to get it just right. I'm not sure if it's a skill issue (likely) or a new cable is needed! I never have trouble tuning a rear derailleur but front derailleurs wreck my head!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if your LBS wasn't humphries, i'd try giving them a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The rear hub (Zonda) is shot, very rough and in irritating enough for me to call it a show stopper! I actually already bit the bullet and ordered a new freehub and wheel bearings about 2 mins ago :D I knew what to order from advice posted on a previous thread....
    I was charged €90 by a bike shop to replace a Zonda hub. I wouldn't have got it done if I had known how much it was going to cost as the wheel had a lot of mileage on it.

• Advertisement

if your LBS wasn't humphries, i'd try giving them a shout.

Not them, I don't want to name them and inadvertently give them a bad name because they are actually very good (if alittle on the expensive side!)

I was charged €90 by a bike shop to replace a Zonda hub. I wouldn't have got it done if I had known how much it was going to cost as the wheel had a lot of mileage on it.

Yeah would be looking at similar. Got bearings, freebub, grease and a new chain whip for 85. I guess I'm not saving much but will learn something!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's the same the country over, all stores are snowed under with repairs so there's probably no alternatives anyway.

Not helped by some people just getting punctures repaired.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

Yeah would be looking at similar. Got bearings, freebub, grease and a new chain whip for 85. I guess I'm not saving much but will learn something!

It’s very straightforward to replace the freehub. Bearings are a little more fiddly. The cones and cups the hub bearings sit into could be worn - only likely if you have very high mileage on the wheel. When you remove the cassette it’s a good opportunity to give it a proper clean.

It’s much more satisfying to do this yourself and If you can tackle it, I’d say you’ll start taking on more of these jobs yourself. Happy to answer any questions you have when you’re doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

The other issue is the front derailleur, it's out of index and I just can't seem to get it just right. I'm not sure if it's a skill issue (likely) or a new cable is needed! I never have trouble tuning a rear derailleur but front derailleurs wreck my head!
    The only difference between a front and rear derailleur is that cable tension is needed to shift up in the big chain ring(high gear) converse to rear derailleur where cable tension is needed to shift up to the biggest sprocket(low gear). So adjust the barrel adjuster accordingly, a new cable is nice but not necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭thebourke

are bike shops doing bike fittings these times?

Advertisement