Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our doctors & nurses want a protected cycleway from the city to all hospitals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

TheChizler wrote: »
    Anyone have a link to that map of all the hills in Cork that was posted lately? Basically it disproved the myth that outside of a few stand-out hills that Cork City is too steep for cycling...

There's a bit of a pull up WIlton Road, but that aside the Southside is certainly relatively flat, in the main.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Frostybrew

namloc1980 wrote: »
    So we're having a go at healthcare providers now are we? Jesus wept. I presume you take the same approach to all sorts of campaigns?

People campaigning for better health care? Sorry, we're not listening to you until you have a fully costed plan.

You want better public transport? Well you better employ some consultants first. Get a grip.

Yes it's not up to health care workers to come up with a fully appraised proposal. They're completely entitled to make suggestions, which is what they're doing and I wish them best of luck, as it's a positive proposal.

Especially now as there's plenty of money available to make it happen, with the newly agreed programme for government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Anyone have a link to that map of all the hills in Cork that was posted lately? Basically it disproved the myth that outside of a few stand-out hills that Cork City is too steep for cycling.
    I said no comparison between the two cities, not that it's too steep for cycling. Please don't be like namloc and start making stuff up that wasn't said.
    If anything, more segregated cycle lanes are needed on the roads that are in any way steep. How often have you been behind (and hopefully overtaken safely) someone pushing their way slowly but surely up the Wilton Road? Imagine how much safer it would be for someone on a bike, and ever so slightly more convenient for someone in a car, if they didn't have to share a lane at this point?
    I'm for the proposed changes at Wilton if done correctly. I used to cycle that way regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Augeo wrote: »
    Isn't Tom Barry's on Barrack Street?
    Apologies if I'm missing something as I've not been in Cork much of late.
    If you continue down College Road then Gilabbey St. and head straight on by St. Fin Barre's down Dean St. and Fort St. you come out pretty much next to Tom Barry's. I'm guessing they meant The Abbey though?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭timmyjimmy

Anyone have a link to that map of all the hills in Cork that was posted lately? Basically it disproved the myth that outside of a few stand-out hills that Cork City is too steep for cycling.

If anything, more segregated cycle lanes are needed on the roads that are in any way steep. How often have you been behind (and hopefully overtaken safely) someone pushing their way slowly but surely up the Wilton Road? Imagine how much safer it would be for someone on a bike, and ever so slightly more convenient for someone in a car, if they didn't have to share a lane at this point?

I used to live on Wilton rd. I cycled it quite a lot but the amount of aggressive drivers beeping at me from behind would put a lot of people off cycling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

If you continue down College Road then Gilabbey St. and head straight on by St. Fin Barre's down Dean St. and Fort St. you come out pretty much next to Tom Barry's. I'm guessing they meant The Abbey though?

Where Fort Street joins Barracka, I think there's a coffee shop just there these days, yes - sorry for confusing folk, but you get the idea. :pac:

jimgoose wrote: »
    Yes, of course - Barracka becomes Glasheen Road after a few hundred yards or so.

:)

Barrack Street becomes Bandon Road which becomes Glasheen Rd at Denroches Cross.

As Barrack Street is currently one way that could be extended to Bandon Road easily enough as per your suggestion........... Denroches cross presents decent opportunity for both segments of Glasheen Road and Magazine Rd to be also made one way. Or maybe just Magazine Road being made one way (in to city) and then maybe college Rd being one way out from City.

Western Road is there also of course.

Definitely your one way suggestion has huge merit in the area.

I said no comparison between the two cities, not that it's too steep for cycling. Please don't be like namloc and start making stuff up that wasn't said.
    I'm confused, your next sentence said "Flat as a pancake and way better weather than us."

What else did you mean if not referring to the gradient? And the weather of course.

By the way Amsterdam has an average of 182 rainy days per year, Cork has 146, so no comparison Cork is much dryer...

Unless you weren't referring to the rain when you mentioned weather?

https://weather-and-climate.com/average-monthly-Rainy-days,Amsterdam,Netherlands
    https://weather-and-climate.com/average-monthly-Rainy-days,Cork,Ireland

I'm confused, your next sentence said "Flat as a pancake and way better weather than us."

What else did you mean if not referring to the gradient? And the weather of course.

By the way Amsterdam has an average of 182 rainy days per year, Cork has 146, so no comparison Cork is much dryer...

https://weather-and-climate.com/average-monthly-Rainy-days,Amsterdam,Netherlands

Certainly needs to clarify the point they were making; as by stating that "Amsterdam is flat as a pancake" when comparing to a city like Cork, they are implying that Cork is too hilly for cycling.

Where Fort Street joins Barracka, I think there's a coffee shop just there these days, yes - sorry for confusing folk, but you get the idea. :pac:

Alchemy :)

Just across from the previous drugs supermarket :pac:

• Advertisement

Frostybrew wrote: »
    Certainly needs to clarify the point they were making; as by stating that "Amsterdam is flat as a pancake" when comparing to a city like Cork, they are implying that Cork is too hilly for cycling.
    That's certainly how I read it, maybe I took them up wrong because I hear that perception repeated so much (the weather one too), and while it may technically be hillier in places it's really not a problem. I regularly see a lady who must be in her 70s cycling up Southern Road, not a bother on her!

Augeo wrote: »

Alchemy :)

Just across from the previous drugs supermarket :pac:
    I'm seeing more and more comparisons with Amsterdam as we go on... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Ah the good old excuses always come out: Cork is too hilly, Cork is too wet. Munstermagic spoofing....again. Nothing new there of course

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Making stuff again are we?
    Can you ever stop with the lies?

This is a group of healthcare providers looking for better facilities. You said they were disingenuous and essentially pushing an agenda. Your words not mine. :D

Yes, I meant gradient and weather. That doesn't equal "too steep for cycling". But it does affect it's appeal for many people.

I've been through this discussion before and found data that shows not only does Cork has more rainy days, but we get more rain than Amsterdam.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057165898&page=4

But using your data from weather-and-climate.com, it shows we get far more rain. Amstedam is measured from 0 to 100mm, we are measured from 0 to 200m. So Cork isn't much dryer.
    516461.JPG
    516460.JPG

namloc1980 wrote: »
    This is a group of healthcare providers looking for better facilities. You said they were disingenuous and essentially pushing an agenda. Your words not mine. :D
    I said disingenuous and pushing an agenda. Yes. Not what you decided to veer off on. You having to make stuff up isn't my problem, it's yours.

Yes, I meant gradient and weather. That doesn't equal "too steep for cycling". But it does affect it's appeal for many people.

I've been through this discussion before and found data that shows not only does Cork has more rainy days, but we get more rain than Amsterdam.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057165898&page=4

But using your data from weather-and-climate.com, it shows we get far more rain. Amstedam is measured from 0 to 100mm, we are measured from 0 to 200m. So Cork isn't much dryer.

Apparently I've had this conversation before as well...

I definitely agree that the perception of hills makes it seem worse than it is, but that isn't helped by pointing out the ones that do exist at every opportunity.

You could stick any y-max on that chart and say it's measured 0 to whatever :p

They have more days with rain, we have more rain when it happens. The fact we're debating over it shows they're broadly comparable.

For what it's worth, I took up cycling 5 km to work across the city this January (150 mm on average). Pre-pandemic the only weather that caused me to drive was a storm at the end of February. A light rainjacket and occasionally leggings that go over your work clothes are all that's needed to put up with the mostly piddly rain we get that time of year.

I actually know one of the organisers in the picture that was posted. I texted them earlier and they said they just wanted to get people talking and have a good news story for a change, so less of the agenda accusations please.

I definitely agree that the perception of hills makes it seem worse than it is, but that isn't helped by pointing out the ones that do exist at every opportunity.

They have more days with rain, we have more rain when it happens. The fact we're debating over it shows they're broadly comparable.

For what it's worth, I took up cycling 5 km to work across the city this January (150 mm on average). Pre-pandemic the only weather that caused me to drive was a storm at the end of February. A light rainjacket and occasionally leggings that go over your work clothes are all that's needed to put up with the mostly piddly rain we get that time of year.

The too 'wet for cycling' arguments in relation to Cork are a red herring. We have the same climate as most of western europe (temperate oceanic). The differences in rainfall are minor. If anything, some of the more continental countries such as Belgium or the Netherlands would have less cycling friendly days then here; due to the higher frequency of snow and ice days in winter. Whatever about cycling in the rain, cycling in snow and ice can be lethal. Very rarely do we have to worry about this issue.

I actually know one of the organisers in the picture that was posted. I texted them earlier and they said they just wanted to get people talking and have a good news story for a change, so less of the agenda accusations please.
    Then they should remove "Let us remember the recent losses and sacrifices made by our front-line workers". This is clearly an attempt to pull at the heartstrings at people, so yes, I will stick with agenda. If they include a poll from line workers that show they clearly want this, then it may have some merit. Personally, I'm in favour of tax increases to ensure we pay for our front lines service workers (health, gardai, etc). If we want Scandinavian-type services, then you have to pay for it.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, but I'm not doing that. The Northside is quite hilly, but the Southside is fine for me anyway. But I'm only taking it in context for people to abandon cars for cycling, it's not appealing to those people. "Get over it" isn't going to work if I try that.

I personally don't think they are comparable. We are a wetting country, there's no getting past that, esp if trying to get people out of cars and onto bikes. Much like you, it doesn't bother me, and I've only cycle for leisure/fitness as I haven't traveled for my work for a quite some time. The hills/weather isn't an issue for most cyclists, again, when discussing these factors it's in terms of people who are in cars is the approach I'm taking.

The hills/weather isn't an issue for most cyclists, again, when discussing these factors it's in terms of people who are in cars is the approach I'm taking.
    Agreed, it's about getting people to see past the short term and make the leap from a comfortable environment to one that's slightly less comfortable but massively better for their health. And better infrastructure is a way to encourage this.

Agreed, it's about getting people to see past the short term and make the leap from a comfortable environment to one that's slightly less comfortable but massively better for their health. And better infrastructure is a way to encourage this.
    Fully agree. We don't always have to pump money into healthcare directly, it can also be used to have people healthier and less reliant on the healthcare system as well (befitting everyone).

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

The congestion in that area of the city is going to be brilliant the coming year when buses hit their capacities and workers and students turn to car use. And really fair play to all the previous bus using students and workers, who due to the lack of choice will be finding the bit of money needed to run and park a car in the city. That's all money currently being spent in the local economy going to the motor and insurance industry instead. We can all sit forever at Dennehys cross.

In my own head, the wet dark narrow hilly roads we enjoy in this country would be a very valid reason to build cycle routes instead of making cyclists try and battle all of these with a row of motorists up their holes. I think the current infrastructure discourages cycling so using to current levels to justify not building infrastructure is not that great an angle to argue. Of course people avoid cycling now, the city is designed for people to rat run through, I've worked on both sides of the city and people in both my offices outside the city used the city centre instead of the link road commuting.

Due to the lack of safe cycling infrastructure, the safety of driving is a trade off for the financial cost and time lost just sitting in traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

EnzoScifo wrote: »
    quite a few

Wow. Very specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Wow. Very specific.

Go and look at the bike racks at CUH on any given day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

EnzoScifo wrote: »
    Go and look at the bike racks at CUH on any given day.

That's for sure, I had to go there for physio for 6 weeks in a row around two years ago & always had to lock my bike to a pole as the bike shed (the one near the A&E dept) was always full.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Wow. Very specific.

You ask a question that you well know no one here can give an accurate answer to and then complain that you get a vague answer:D

Brilliant.

374 staff per day cycle. Do you like that answer better?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Almost nobody cycles between December-March (that's one third of the year). All this cycling non sense always emerges in the summer. Council is planning this and that. This should be done, and that should be done. Ridiculous.

Just shut up and be glad you're not constantly driving over potholes like all the motorists in Cork and have cycle lanes that are more less flat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

You ask a question that you well know no one here can give an accurate answer to and then complain that you get a vague answer:D

Brilliant.

374 staff per day cycle. Do you like that answer better?

I want to see 374 people to cycle in January when there's a storm outside and it's constantly windy and raining for one week straight.. and two weeks after that again. And then when it's minus two degrees in the morning etc. etc.

Advertisement