Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our doctors & nurses want a protected cycleway from the city to all hospitals

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Diabhalta wrote: »
    Almost nobody cycles between December-March (that's one third of the year). All this cycling non sense always emerges in the summer. Council is planning this and that. This should be done, and that should be done. Ridiculous.

Just shut up and be glad you're not constantly driving over potholes like all the motorists in Cork and have cycle lanes that are more less flat.

Well that's untrue anyway - "almost nobody" you say and "cycling non sense". Glad you have an open mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Well that's untrue anyway - "almost nobody" you say and "cycling non sense". Glad you have an open mind.

Very few people, definitely not hundreds like in the summer. Think about it in January, look around and you'll see almost nobody out there. When the weather is bad, it's 0 people.

I want to see 374 people to cycle in January when there's a storm outside and it's constantly windy and raining for one week straight.. and two weeks after that again. And then when it's minus two degrees in the morning etc. etc.

Plenty of people cycle in the winter. The anti cycling argument always boils down to it's "too wet". Try and come up with a new one, like a broken record going on about it being too wet and the other classic - too hilly.

Nobody is forcing you to cycle - why don't you lobby the Council for better road maintenance instead of moaning about infrastructure for other road users?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭timmyjimmy

Almost nobody cycles between December-March (that's one third of the year). All this cycling non sense always emerges in the summer. Council is planning this and that. This should be done, and that should be done. Ridiculous.

Just shut up and be glad you're not constantly driving over potholes like all the motorists in Cork and have cycle lanes that are more less flat.

I was working in Gothenburg last winter and I couldn't believe how many people were cycling when I opened the curtains of my hotel room in the mornings. The place was covered in snow, it was bitter cold and yet the cycling lanes were very busy with all sorts of cyclists, most notable were the cargo bikes full of kids. Want to know why there so many cyclists? Proper infrastructure. Build it and they will come.

Very few people, definitely not hundreds like in the summer. Think about it in January, look around and you'll see almost nobody out there. When the weather is bad, it's 0 people.

So what is your point? People don't cycle in storms so f**k em they shouldn't get any infrastructure whatsoever for the 99% of the time it isn't stormy? The infrastructure is crap here. Nordic countries where they actually get serious winter weather have huge numbers of cycling in winter because they cater for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    I was working in Gothenburg last winter and I couldn't believe how many people were cycling when I opened the curtains of my hotel room in the mornings. The place was covered in snow, it was bitter cold and yet the cycling lanes were very busy with all sorts of cyclists, most notable were the cargo bikes full of kids. Want to know why there so many cyclists? Proper infrastructure. Build it and they will come.

Couldn't agree more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

namloc1980 wrote: »
    So what is your point? People don't cycle in storms so f**k em they shouldn't get any infrastructure whatsoever for the 99% of the time it isn't stormy? The infrastructure is crap here. Nordic countries where they actually get serious winter weather have huge numbers of cycling in winter because they cater for it.

Mentioned in an earlier post the full bike shed every morning at ~10am when I was heading to the fracture clinic in CUH for physio. That was in Jan/Feb 2018 so certainly wasn't the height of Summer. In fact I remember getting a snow shower cycling down the Wilton road heading back to work on one trip!

opus wrote: »
    Mentioned in an earlier post the full bike shed every morning at ~10am when I was heading to the fracture clinic in CUH for physio. That was in Jan/Feb 2018 so certainly wasn't the height of Summer. In fact I remember getting a snow shower cycling down the Wilton road heading back to work on one trip!

Impossible. Sure we've been told hardly anybody cyles in winter weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭RINO87

I've mentioned this before in cycling threads here but here goes again....

I went back to school full time a while back, was only working in a pub a few nights a week so kept my car off the road and instead cycled to college - My thinking being "ok, if the weather gets bad, just remember why you are going back to school and get on with it".

For a "wet" country I couldn't believe how many times I was actually rained on, in a full academic year I could have counted on one hand.

Blaming the weather is a poor excuse - I did it myself for years, and it wasn't until I HAD to cycle that I saw just how easy it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

ev9CUvy.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

Fairly sure the nursing/doctor/clerks HSE Staff at Waterford University Hospital want to arrange their own w.c. s, so that their Personal Abdominal Emissions! will not be videod (and personalised) by the Sar Security Company there; who video (and personalise) all of the Public', emissions.

Same at Waterford Bus Station; drivers letting their Union know that want (maybe the present Disability w.c. there); to now be theirs' (the bus drivers') solely; and then the Synergy Security Company can then continue to video (and personalise) Personal Abdominal Emissions of the general public.

These Union employees always seem to me to require that all is different for them than for the public.

Doing deals. for Themselves.

Advertisement