Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spain this summer (MOD WARNING IN POST 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

faceman wrote: »
    I wouldn’t hold your breath. The new government seems just as keen on the blanket quarantine approach as the last crew. :(

Well i'd say that the Leo Administration were just kicking the can down the road, and now it's at Micheál's feet, i'd expect him to make an announcement soon, Ireland can't be seen as the laggard of Europe, it's bad for the country's image as as a place for Business and tourism..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Well i'd say that the Leo Administration were just kicking the can down the road, and now it's at Micheál's feet, i'd expect him to make an announcement soon, Ireland can't be seen as the laggard of Europe, it's bad for the country's image as as a place for Business and tourism..

Can't see Micheál lifting the ban anytime soon:(

casio4 wrote: »
    Can't see Micheál lifting the ban anytime soon:(

Once it's gone by the start of August i'll be happier...

Holiday in the new AB-Normal.... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

Ireland has the capacity to test 13,000 people a day.

No one has to stay in state provided hotels, not sure where you got that from my post

I think that is the real answer tbh, test at the airport and then self isolation awaiting the results, I don't think 2 days would be a huge ask. If they had this option in late February/early March I doubt the numbers would have been anything near as bad.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

There will be no testing at the airports, you won't be travelling, the kite flying has started, stimulus package to help you holiday at home, the ministers for transport and health seem to want to continue to follow the medical advice. I wouldn't be planning on flying anywhere. Portugal has been cited as an example of what can happen when you ease restrictions.

Coronavirus: Easing of overseas travel rules may be delayed (via @IrishTimes) https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-easing-of-overseas-travel-rules-may-be-delayed-1.4291001

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

There will be no testing at the airports, you won't be travelling, the kite flying has started, stimulus package to help you holiday at home, the ministers for transport and health seem to want to continue to follow the medical advice. I wouldn't be planning on flying anywhere. Portugal has been cited as an example of what can happen when you ease restrictions.

Coronavirus: Easing of overseas travel rules may be delayed (via @IrishTimes) https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-easing-of-overseas-travel-rules-may-be-delayed-1.4291001

People will travel as flights are back on it's simple really. The government can say whatever they like until they are blue in the face but if flights are taking of there's literally 0 they can do to stop people traveling.

Ah, I'll hold out and see what comes, a holiday here is no holiday for me so will save my time until we can, stimulus or not.

bladespin wrote: »
    Ah, I'll hold out and see what comes, a holiday here is no holiday for me so will save my time until we can, stimulus or not.

I don't get this, what are you looking for from a holiday you can't have here besides guaranteed weather. It's looking ok once this week is out of the way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Spain wanted to open the border with Portugal on June 21st. The Portuguese King said they want to wait till July 1st. It’s apparent they weren’t confident of their status earlier in June.

It’s also worth Ireland noting that face masks are only mandatory on public transport in Portugal. In shops etc there is no enforcement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

Spain wanted to open the border with Portugal on June 21st. The Portuguese King said they want to wait till July 1st. It’s apparent they weren’t confident of their status earlier in June.

It’s also worth Ireland noting that face masks are only mandatory on public transport in Portugal. In shops etc there is no enforcement.

don't want to trawl through the thread looking for it, what's the story with face masks in Spain? do we only need to where them when social distancing isn't possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Hardly any active cases in Ibiza right now, it'll be much quieter this year but i think after a long hiatus ill be going, imagine being stuck in this grim weather here in some overpriced hotel, no thanks, roll on the sun holiday.

I don't get this, what are you looking for from a holiday you can't have here besides guaranteed weather. It's looking ok once this week is out of the way.

Weather would be great but I just want to get away to somewhere different, my working life is spent travelling round Ireland staying in various hotels etc.

I've nothing against this country (well apart from the cost), the standards are high but it's no break for me if I'm likely to be back there working in a month's time.

There's also the 'firestorm' call which I have to avoid while on hols, a bit of real separation is the only thing that works.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

casio4 wrote: »
    don't want to trawl through the thread looking for it, what's the story with face masks in Spain? do we only need to where them when social distancing isn't possible?

Yes only in places where social distancing isn’t possible. Pretty much all indoor spots and some outdoor.

It’s strictly enforced with a €100 on the spot fine. What’s more the locals don’t take too kindly to foreigners flaunted the rules as some British tourists experienced in a supermarket recently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Aside from the weather which is a big issue the costs here in Ireland are outrages. Have you sen the price of places like centre parks with kids? I am also sceptical about the stimulus they are considering. Watch the prices shoot up as soon as thats confirmed. We went to Portrush for a holiday a couple of times with the kids over the years. Stayed in a beautiful mobile home. A nice town with outstanding beaches but the weather is so unpredictable and many a day was spent sitting in the mobile home listening to the rain pelting off the roof playing snakes and ladders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭roofer1988

I hear fear-caves are lovely this time of year, personally I'll be stickng with 2 weeks on the Mediterranean.

Fair play to you.There is a reason you have to wear a mask in Spain and places.Not for the craic or a fashion statement. It for safety reasons bump off someone in an airport or anywhere and you risk infection yourself and everyone else you come in contact with. If we do get a second wave every one be blaming the government and the airlines for allowing them to travel. Probably very little mention of the people who went over and bought the disease back. Sure how were we suppose to know. We were not told

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭tfarrell

If the quarantine is lifted can an employer enforce a 14 day quarantine on an employee anyway - unpaid?
    Would anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Minier81

tfarrell wrote: »
    If the quarantine is lifted can an employer enforce a 14 day quarantine on an employee anyway - unpaid?
    Would anyone know?

Not sure about unpaid. We were officially (ie written from hr) told that we need to take an additional 2 weeks annual leave following any foreign travel. Not sure what will be in place if the quarantine period is lifted.

tfarrell wrote: »
    Would anyone know?

I wouldn't accept an unpaid quarantine period, even now as there's no legal requirement for you to isolate so forcing you to remain off work is your employer's decision and would be up to them to pay for IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Does anyone know of a travel insurance that might provide cover to Spain in the current circumstances?

Does anyone know of a travel insurance that might provide cover to Spain in the current circumstances?

You need to shop around hard. Most wont cover you while travel advisory is in place. I have heard of some insurers who will cover you for non C19 issues

You need to shop around hard. Most wont cover you while travel advisory is in place. I have heard of some insurers who will cover you for non C19 issues

Ok thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

https://www.campbellirvinedirect.com/responsibletravel/about.html

Dante7 wrote: »

Until the British government lift their travel advisory, this policy doesn't provide cover. I think the UK is lifting it for some countries July 5th?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭k123456

An Ehic card might be useful to some degree if no travel insurance

• Advertisement

Tony said it again tonight, you've no cover when you go against Government health advice. Don't travel. I'd also assume your wide open to getting your ass sued off if you infect someone on your return.

Tony said it again tonight, you've no cover when you go against Government health advice. Don't travel. I'd also assume your wide open to getting your ass sued off if you infect someone on your return.

It’s funny how some of the ‘stay at home’ brigade are so bothered about what others do&actually think they’ve the right to order others around now. It is absolutely none of your business if I travel or not and you have no say in the matter.
    We will take the necessary precautions like everyone else in the EU is currently doing. I don’t believe the fearmongering from Dr Tony who really just wants to eradicate the virus here no matter what the cost as he won’t have to deal with it.

It’s funny how some of the ‘stay at home’ brigade are so bothered about what others do&actually think they’ve the right to order others around now. It is absolutely none of your business if I travel or not and you have no say in the matter.
    We will take the necessary precautions like everyone else in the EU is currently doing. I don’t believe the fearmongering from Dr Tony who really just wants to eradicate the virus here no matter what the cost as he won’t have to deal with it.

Your actions can kill people and that's not fear mongering it's a fact. It is other peoples business, if you want to live in a society you have social responsibilities
    Eradication is the only show in town, none of us want to deal with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

No one is ordering anyone around.
    You are being totally selfish like anyone else who leaves this country for non essential travel when being advised against it.
    Its closed minded and irresponsible individuals like yourself that will cause a second wave.tony and his crew aren't don't this for a laugh.have you seen what's going on in America and Brazil.you probably haven't id say.
    Would it really put you out to not leave the country Until next year?
    By the way if it's none of our business if you travel why are you in here broadcasting it............

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideline warrior

Spain’s new case rate was down again today. There was a blip last week due to some new clusters which they identified. 200 new cases ina population of 47M. There social distancing are far more stringent than Ireland.

• Advertisement

The "Disciples of Holohan" I call them, "Pope Tony" can do no wrong... Most/all of them would be Boomers/on the social or "work" for the council, or indeed are pensioners who's financials haven't been affected in any way though this pandemic.
    Honestly why they come onto a Travel advice forum to have their little Rants at genuine people looking for real information.

To them I say Bore Off! We're all adults and don't need your moany non-contributions...

No one is ordering anyone around.
    You are being totally selfish like anyone else who leaves this country for non essential travel when being advised against it.
    Its closed minded and irresponsible individuals like yourself that will cause a second wave.tony and his crew aren't don't this for a laugh.have you seen what's going on in America and Brazil.you probably haven't id say.
    Would it really put you out to not leave the country Until next year?
    By the way if it's none of our business if you travel why are you in here broadcasting it............

This is a travel forum...why are you here derailing the thread?

You do understand that that’s just not possible? We could get to the point where we go months without a case but that’ll be just a dormant phase, it will be around until there’s a cure or vaccine.

45% of Irish people claim to wear a face mask in public according to a survey in the Times today. How many of the people who don’t wear a mask are on this and other threads lecturing people who want to travel abroad that they could kill someone?

45% of Irish people claim to wear a face mask in public according to a survey in the Times today. How many of the people who don’t wear a mask are on this and other threads lecturing people who want to travel abroad that they could kill someone?

I don't believe it. I'm in constant contact with the general public and I'm not seeing 45%. Not even 5%, did they take the survey inside a hospital?
    Masks aren't an answer border controls are, then everyone can get back to normal even people going on foreign holidays.

I don't believe it. I'm in constant contact with the general public and I'm not seeing 45%. Not even 5%, did they take the survey inside a hospital?
    Masks aren't an answer border controls are, then everyone can get back to normal even people going on foreign holidays.

Completely agree. I had to travel to Dublin City Centre today for the first time since lockdown. I walked through Jervis centre. I was also in my local supermarket. I’d put compliance with mask wearing similar to your estimation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

Faceman, as a moderator I expect that you would have some sense of balance and objectivity towards all contributors on this forum. That is quite far from what you are showing at the moment. You seem to have a desire to push the 'Travel at All Costs' agenda.

Many of us who normally love to travel abroad are this year supporting a 'Stay at Home' policy in line with the Government's guidelines because of the high risk of importing Covid-19. Some of us are immunocompromised and/or have close family members who are at very high from this virus.

So could I ask you to show a little balance in your postings please.

Neither do I, non existent from what I’ve seen, do they think carrying in their pockets counts?

Personally I think masks are the answer but it’s all or nothing, we need full compliance in busy areas not an each to their own approach.
    Border control can’t stop something that’s already here.

He's been balanced in fairness, sees both sides.

Border control can’t stop something that’s already here.

Of course it can, once it can't find a new host to transmit to it's dead, that was the whole point of lockdown and distancing, needs to be imported again after that.

• Advertisement

Of course it can, once it can't find a new host to transmit to it's dead, that was the whole point of lockdown and distancing, needs to be imported again after that.

It’s not dead, that’s not how viruses work sadly, it will lie dormant until it activates again, the whole point of lockdown was not to kill it, it was to ensure healthcare was not overwhelmed, a control measure, not an elimination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Your actions can kill people and that's not fear mongering it's a fact. It is other peoples business, if you want to live in a society you have social responsibilities

Presumably you never drive a car?

Who am I kidding, I doubt you leave your house.

Why are you on the travel forum anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Looking at the comments of the fear-monger in chief, good old Dr Tony, would make you very glad we only are an hours drive from Belfast airport.

I won't be missing out on my Spanish holiday this year anyway.

It’s not dead, that’s not how viruses work sadly, it will lie dormant until it activates again, the whole point of lockdown was not to kill it, it was to ensure healthcare was not overwhelmed, a control measure, not an elimination.

It doesn't lie dormant where did you get that nugget out of. One transmission is broken it can't replicate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

This is a travel forum...why are you here derailing the thread?

Go back to the first post and read it again.im not derailing anything.
    Enjoy your holiday in spain.don't forget to quarantine for 2 weeks when you get back.

It doesn't lie dormant where did you get that nugget out of. One transmission is broken it can't replicate.

Many others can, it’s not known for sure whether Covid can but wouldn’t bet against it.

APTA:

Experts are unsure why some recovered patients appear to become reinfected. (Reuters)
    In confirmed cases in Japan and China, some recovered patients have again tested positive for COVID-19 but were not contagious. Experts are uncertain whether these are new infections. People could become reinfected because they didn't build up enough antibodies while they were infected the first time, but it's also possible that the virus could lie dormant and symptoms could reappear again later.

GreyEagle wrote: »
    Faceman, as a moderator I expect that you would have some sense of balance and objectivity towards all contributors on this forum. That is quite far from what you are showing at the moment. You seem to have a desire to push the 'Travel at All Costs' agenda.

Many of us who normally love to travel abroad are this year supporting a 'Stay at Home' policy in line with the Government's guidelines because of the high risk of importing Covid-19. Some of us are immunocompromised and/or have close family members who are at very high from this virus.

So could I ask you to show a little balance in your postings please.

I’m not a moderator of this forum or category so I’m free to express my opinion no different than anyone else as long as I stay within the forum rules. Also this is a discussion forum. If boards.ie took to censoring people with opinions they don’t agree with, it wouldn’t be much of a discussion. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Here's an interesting one:
    A group of Tenerife hoteliers plan to start up their own airline to bring in tourists.....

https://travelweekly.co.uk/articles/376740/tenerife-hoteliers-plan-to-start-airline

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

Agree, but what's that got to do with Spain ?
    Mainland Spain is one place with different rules and regulations in some 'Comunidades Autonomas', the Spanish colony of the Canary Islands is another. The Canarian government has announced that all incoming visitors will now be tested on arrival through a novel (yet unproven) spit test. What happens to those that fail it remains to be seen. Options are that they'll be sent straight back home or hospitalised/quarantined there. Imagine one member of your travelling party/family testing positive and immediately separated from the others who passed the 'test'.
    All of Spain's airports take temperature, fingerprints and biometric data of Irish travellers (as from other from other non-Schengen countries) - and again on departure. ALL arrivals have to fill in lengthy forms and must provide a 24-hour contact and download an app. Very hefty fines are applied for 'offences' like being found coming from a supermarket without the receipt. More than 62.000 fines and hundreds of arrests in the Canaries alone don't hold promise of a relaxed holiday. Add facemasks even for kids, and all public areas constantly being disinfected with strongest chlorine derivatives and other chemicals, with doctors complaining about the amount of patients presenting with severe breathing difficulties and other symptoms caused by this, even causing lots of pets to die.
    OK, that's the worst of it, however Spain (and its Canarian colony) is still worth visiting but the current climate of paranoia and fear concerning incoming visitors doesn't seem inviting. Exceptions in some areas apply, of couse, same as here where in some regions things are more relaxed. For now Spain's renewed problems will remain for a while, according to several friends living there and the Canaries who now wish they'd be here but are committed to sit it out.
    Don't rush there, wait a bit more is my advice.
    Edit: Yeah, forgot the Canarian hoteliers federation (ASHOTEL) have been flying that kite of their own ailine for many years, the last time was when Ryanair cut their bases there and their airline didn't take off (no pun intd) and they ended up trying to 'incentivise' Ryanair. I wouldn't hold my breath regarding 'FLY ASH'.
    ...and don't get me wrong, I'd love to go soon and was meant to go in March.
    I also feel extremely sorry for the many friends in Spain who 'found their place in the sun' and are now finding it hard to keep their heads above water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Lavdogg

Im best man for my mate and i sadly booked his stag for Spain at the start of Sept, 19 of us have booked flights and accomadation (350 each) before all of this kicked off in Jan

We can't pull the plug as we will lose all the majority of the money, The airline ( let's call them Bryanair) are sticking to their guns and saying its buisness as usual

Still clinging onto hope that air travel is allowed and everything settles down over the coming weeks. I personally don't know of anyone who has gotten Covid 19 but I am two minds about what i should do, there is such a large degree of unknown about the whole thing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement