Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeding a newly seeded garden

Options
  • 14-06-2020 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,587 ✭✭✭✭

I seeded a rotovated section of my garden approx 1 month ago .

Do you let it grow itself for a while or do you feed it as well to help it in the early stages?

If I need to feed it, what should I use?

Would one of the standard 4in1 feeds do it or should I be using a different mix for new grass?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I don't think I put any fertiliser on my lawn when I sowed it a few years ago.
    It is hard for the first few weeks but what you need is patience!
    I'd imagine it'll be bouncing out of the ground with that rain and a decent soil temperature from the last few months. Let it grow well for a few weeks, then cut it on the highest lawnmower setting (I think I read 3 inches long somewhere) and see how it goes.
    Make sure it is well watered, I don't think you'll need any fertiliser but some of the real experts on here might know more!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I am sure you will get lots of advice that might be more informed than mine, but, unless the soil is seriously impoverished, in which case it needs organic material to improve it, I do not like using fertiliser at that stage. I think it can grows over-soft if it is fertilised, I would rather let grass and shrubs take care of themselves, if you get them off to a good start. Encourage an established lawn that has got tired, but not new seed.

Flowers I would encourage with some extra nutrients, though again some plants flower better if they are not over fed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,587 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thanks.

It was well watered to begin with, but the hosepipe ban has put an end to that. I'm nearly praying for a bit of rain each night now!

It's coming on ok but I just wanted to give it as much help as possible to get it growing well. There are some broadleaf weeds in it now but I know that these will not be an issue so much when the grass takes hold and I can get a weed and feed down later on.

But from what I have read maybe a feed with plenty of N in the next week or two, it'll be in 6 weeks then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I'm not being smart but my advice is let it grow for a couple of months, and then see if you think it is struggling or not. If it is struggling (which it probably won't be) then look at giving it a boost with some nitrogen or something.
    But what you will find is you probably won't have a thick well rooted lawn this year, or certainly not until the end of the year.
    I hope you got the wish for rain over the weekend :D But don't pray for too much of it!

• Advertisement

I'm not being smart but my advice is let it grow for a couple of months, and then see if you think it is struggling or not. If it is struggling (which it probably won't be) then look at giving it a boost with some nitrogen or something.
    But what you will find is you probably won't have a thick well rooted lawn this year, or certainly not until the end of the year.
    I hope you got the wish for rain over the weekend :D But don't pray for too much of it!

Guy in garden centre agreed with you.

Was in today and asked. He said grass too young, let it grow a while yet.

Advertisement