Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting Trees in Summer

Options
  • 14-06-2020 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭

Just wanted to get a bit of advice re something. I’ve a rental property where two large coniferous trees are causing a hindrance. The house is in an estate.

My plan was to cut them down immediately (a branch already blew off one a few weeks back in a recent storm and into the neighbours).

The tenant however has mentioned he doesn’t think I can cut them during the Summer due to birds nesting.

I’ve looked into this and from my reading it appears that trees in urban areas are exempt from this?

I am going to ring the council tomorrow and check but wondered if anyone here could shed some light.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

If the tree is a danger to you or the public, as far as I know, you can take it down any time.
    Health and safety issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭blackbox

Restrictions don't apply if it is within 30 metres of a building or if dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Is there a link to where this is officially stated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how tall are they? if you can wait till september, that's best, but you may be able to tell if there are birds nests in them, if they're not too dense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

A hindrance is one thing, danger is another, just like there's a difference between what you can do and what you should do. If they're not posing an immediate danger, please wait until September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Every time I ask someone about cutting trees its always the wrong time of year.

At this point they will be done whenever it suits me and not the tree. If the tree dies, fine.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Maybe ask again the right time of the year.

beauf wrote: »
    Every time I ask someone about cutting trees its always the wrong time of year.
    it's not like we do it to annoy you...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

Well if it's any sort of hindrance to the public then the council or anyone should have no problem regardless of the time of the year. I had a hedge that was out over the path, now there was still room to walk by as there is a grass verge as well as path if you were walking two abreast for example and also a footpath on the other side but council asked me to cut it recently, I mentioned time of year and said I would do it in October as I actually had already planned to together with my usual hedge cutting but they said the restrictions didn't affect this.

It's cut now anyway as instructed birds nests or not!

• Advertisement
Advertisement