Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wee bit of assistance required

Options
  • 14-06-2020 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

First machine built, all went (a bit too) smoothly, started up, no warnings on the ez debug LEDs, all fans and lights are up and running, power to the mouse and keyboard...but it won't boot to anything, monitor(s) not receiving signal, either with the boards connection or the GPU.

MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Motherboard

Alimentation ATX Be Quiet System Power 9-500W

Crucial CT500P1SSD8 P1 500 GB

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Processor (6C/12T, 35 MB Cache, 4.2 GHz Max Boost

Crucial Ballistix BL2K8G30C15U4B 3000 MHz, DDR4, DRAM, Desktop Gaming Memory Kit, 16GB (8GB x2)

XFX RX 5600 XT THICC III PRO

Any advice or suggestions welcome!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

First machine built, all went (a bit too) smoothly, started up, no warnings on the ez debug LEDs, all fans and lights are up and running, power to the mouse and keyboard...but it won't boot to anything, monitor(s) not receiving signal, either with the boards connection or the GPU.

MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Motherboard

Alimentation ATX Be Quiet System Power 9-500W

Crucial CT500P1SSD8 P1 500 GB

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Processor (6C/12T, 35 MB Cache, 4.2 GHz Max Boost

Crucial Ballistix BL2K8G30C15U4B 3000 MHz, DDR4, DRAM, Desktop Gaming Memory Kit, 16GB (8GB x2)

XFX RX 5600 XT THICC III PRO

Any advice or suggestions welcome!

Thanks

Hey shoot me a PM if you can. Just to send images of the build to see if anything is missing

Congrats on the first build..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

On first glance, my only concern would be the motherboard not having bios that support the 3600 CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Thor wrote: »
    On first glance, my only concern would be the motherboard not having bios that support the 3600 CPU.

All B450 max series from MSI support Ryzen 3000 series out of the box

so you don't need to flash BIOS to install the 3600

OP, try booting testing one stick of ram at a time, and it wouldn't hurt to clear the CMOS while your at it

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

PCIE power?

ED E wrote: »
    PCIE power?

could be,

just to be aware Baron, the 3600 doesn't have integrated gfx, so your motherboard monitor outputs won't do anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Baron Floyd

Tks for the replys all! Interior view attached, swapped Dimms around, cleared Cmos with a battery pull, no change...also have a Seagate barracuda 3.5 attached to sata 1 I forgot to list.

Swapped to the dvi on the GPU, no change, power to everything but monitor output is missing

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Did you try removing the GPU & reseating it into PCIe slot (make sure it clicks)?
    Also are you doubly sure the monitor is set to correct input?

DIMMs are per AMD spec, though it wouldnt matter.

24 Pin, 4 pin and PCIE Aux power present. Everything looks right thats visible.

Per Ko first make sure the little lever at the end of the PCIE slot is up, if not the GPU isnt seated right. Secondly remove ALL ram and try boot, you should get an error code to indicate that its missing. If you dont the CPU is installed incorrectly or the mobo or CPU are dead (mobo most likely).

Did you use standoffs?

Edit: Reference https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/M7A38v8.0.pdf

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Did you try removing the GPU & reseating it into PCIe slot (make sure it clicks)?
    Also are you doubly sure the monitor is set to correct input?

Yup it was clicked but just removed and reseated and same story unfortunately, monitor set to scan through and nothing, have tried à few monitors too

ED E wrote: »
    DIMMs are per AMD spec, though it wouldnt matter.

24 Pin, 4 pin and PCIE Aux power present. Everything looks right thats visible.

Per Ko first make sure the little lever at the end of the PCIE slot is up, if not the GPU isnt seated right. Secondly remove ALL ram and try boot, you should get an error code to indicate that its missing. If you dont the CPU is installed incorrectly or the mobo or CPU are dead (mobo most likely).

Did you use standoffs?

Edit: Reference https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/M7A38v8.0.pdf

Removed the ram and booted, revived CPU and RAM warnings on the ez debug led, that's all I have to work with. Put the RAM back and tried again but now the BOOT led is lit, tried booting with a windows install USB attached, no change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

I assume you've tried with one stick of RAM and tried multiple slots to rule out any error on a ram lane part/stick of ram part?

Do you've a spare GPU to try? If the 5600XT is faulty, the lack of IGP makes it difficult to diagnose.

Homelander wrote: »
    I assume you've tried with one stick of RAM and tried multiple slots to rule out any error on a ram lane part/stick of ram part?

Do you've a spare GPU to try? If the 5600XT is faulty, the lack of IGP makes it difficult to diagnose.

Yup tried a few combinations of ram, no other GPU I can use but i may be able to get my hands on one in a few days and check then

I would take the board out of the case and try to boot outside on a breadboard, just to rule out a short off the case

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

Hey Baron,

So based on what you've said so far I have two questions.

1) Once you boot the PC, do the fans stay spinning until you power it back off?
    If this is the case I would feel mostly safe ruling out the memory, CPU, motherboard and somewhat the PSU.
    When the fans are spinning the PC has likely eventually posted and just never output its video.

2) Is this a modular PSU? From what I can find its not.
    If it is a modular PSU, please ensure you have plugged the correct end of the modular cable into the PSU (for the graphics card). Based on the picture you attached this all does look fine.

My thoughts:
    Something is wrong with either the graphics card, the additional power connectors to the g-card or the monitors you have used. I feel its safe to rule out the monitors at this point assuming you have only plugged them into the graphics card as the motherboard cannot output graphics with that CPU.
    When graphics cards don't receive full power through the two additional PCI-E connectors they sometimes stop outputting video, what might be worth trying is reversing the two pci-e connectors on the g-card and seeing does that have any effect.

I see you have a nice and neat cabling job. Ensure no cables are pulled tight and like others have said maybe even try running the setup outside the case.
    The two leds lit up on the card tell me everything looks somewhat good. So another option is to change to the other bios on the graphics card, BIOS getting corrupted is not unheard of and this is exactly why that switch exists for a clean backup that was done at the factory.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=516409&d=1592164620
    right below both power connectors for the graphics card is a switch. try flicking it and then booting up the pc. Don't change the switch while the pc is running (this changes the bios of the graphics card to the factory backup)

1) Yes, once it boots the Fans stay on, as do all LEDs on the Fans and GPU

2) no not modular, all stock connectors and seem to be doing their job.

I confrmed no cables are tight or pulling as far as I can tell, I did another book after all the checks with a single DIMM, then I recieved a message on advising that the memory had changed and would I like to enter setup...etc. so i got to the bios, browsed around, everything is being recognised (HDs, GPU, CPU) changed the boot order (to look for USB first) and rebooted...same issue. replaced the RAM, swapped the DIMMS etc. cannot recreate whatever it was i did to get to the BIOS.

My plan now is to get to the BIOS and flash it...sensible or no?

My plan now is to get to the BIOS and flash it...sensible or no?

Yes I would do it immediately

cheers, as soon as i figure out what I did the last time to get to the BIOS I'll do that and advise, thanks again everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Have you observed strict precautions around esd damage?
    If not, and everything else checks out, then you have probably killed your whole setup with esd. If that is the case, the lot of it is probably for the bin, except the case and the fans .

If not, and everything else checks out, then you have probably killed your whole setup with esd. If that is the case, the lot of it is probably for the bin, except the case and the fans .

ah jasus don't be going nuclear, I have been building PCs since the 486 days and never killed anything from static, never followed any strict precaution bar rubbing my hand on the bare metal case from time to time during the build

cheers, as soon as i figure out what I did the last time to get to the BIOS I'll do that and advise, thanks again everyone

you can use the bios flashback option with any msi board, you can even use flashback to flash the bios without a cpu installed

• Advertisement

kingtiger wrote: »
    you can use the bios flashback option with any msi board, you can even use flashback to flash the bios without a cpu installed

Cheers for the info, will give it a shot this evening as i can't get back to the BIOS any otherway so far.

Sorted, thanks everyone for the advice, suggestions and scaring the s#_# outta me :)

Forced a ram error of some type and managed to get to and flash the bios, also clearing CMOS again for good measure.

Booted, installed os and now looking forward to a long night of installs and tweaking ')

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Never heard of anything like that happening to be honest. It's an old wives tale.

Talking ****e.

Signed: Somebody who works with hardware worth more than a new BMW.

Baron Floyd: Wouldnt be surprised if you were just seeing a display output issue where the error brought it back to 1024x768 or similar and allowed you in.

Advertisement