Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canal near Harold's Cross and Portobello, twinned with the slums of Calcutta

Options
  • 14-06-2020 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭

Does anybody care. I didn't have my phone to take a picture, but what a sorry sight. There were some tents pitched on the banks, and it would appear the inhabitants throw can after can and plastic waste etc., right into the canal. Not just them, as the whole half km down to Portobello was just a float with plastic bottles and cans. Jeez the place was a manky sorry sight. Could be so lovely. The water looked clear.

Wtf.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭1 sheep2

Chinasea wrote: »
    Does anybody care. I didn't have my phone to take a picture, but what a sorry sight. There were some tents pitched on the banks, and it would appear the inhabitants throw can after can and plastic waste etc., right into the canal. Not just them, as the whole half km down to Portobello was just a float with plastic bottles and cans. Jeez the place was a manky sorry sight. Could be so lovely. The water looked clear.

Wtf.

Well, you know what happened last time a tent was cleared...

But I think it shouldn't be controversial to say there are certain parts of the city where it shouldn't be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

To be fair..its not just the guys in the tent, any nice evening there are throngs of people between harolds cross bridge to the barge, many who leave their rubbish behind them/toss it into the canal.
    Dunno how the tents havent been moved on...there was a 6man tent setup at charlemomt luas stop a few weeks back that was removed fairly sharpish. The remaining tents always seem to have a congregation at them as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Well I would not have even noticed the tents initially. It was the sheer volume of filth that they had obviously just flung out of their tents as it floated directly beside them that drew my attention. Absolute farce.

This whole area could be so pretty and such a lovely public facility. Instead it is a filthy, dodgy slum. I have no issue with those tents being bulldozed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I wouldn't be so quick to blame the pollution on the homeless, it's the selfish pricks drinking at the barge, many of whom would consider themselves middle to upper class professionals who leave their cans of Prazsky behind.

I have personally never littered and was taught to keep rubbish together and if there's no bin hang on to it until there is one. I thought this was the norm but now I feel like I'm somewhat the exception?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Not just the homeless, although they certainly were contributing, but the point will be lost if it turns into a subjective social injustice issue.

It is filthy and disease ridden, a shambles and such a waste of what could be a fabulous outdoor space for all to enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭accensi0n

I went kayaking on that section recently, and there was a large amount cans and bottles in the canal alright. Along with a shopping trolley, and a fridge!

Not a great sight for the tourists that were doing the kayaking.
    Was enjoyable other than the rubbish though.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Saw this guy on parnell road earlier...is he cleaning or dredging??

516708.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

retalivity wrote: »
    Saw this guy on parnell road earlier...is he cleaning or dredging??

516708.jpg

Saw it too. Appeared to be picking up weeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

There was of those yokes on the royaler last weekend too the cab was white

• Registered Users Posts: 35 pow_pow

I think it's cleaning. A dredger digs up the ground where as that yoke appears to only be a conveyor belt grabbing whatever comes in its path, and capturing the rubbish and weeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Merowig

Guys try to report it via www.fixmystreet.ie - the reports go to the respective council
    It is a shame and disgusting how much litter is around and no one does something about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

There a little spot near Rialto where people fish and have a few cans, there is normally loads of rubbish but I noticed a few DCC rubbish bags stuck to walls and railings and people were using them. There wouldn't be as much littering if there were enough bins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

Chinasea wrote: »
    Well I would not have even noticed the tents initially. It was the sheer volume of filth that they had obviously just flung out of their tents as it floated directly beside them that drew my attention. Absolute farce.

This whole area could be so pretty and such a lovely public facility. Instead it is a filthy, dodgy slum. I have no issue with those tents being bulldozed.

A homeless person was bulldozed last year, what a disgusting comment to make.

Yes let's sign up the homeless to Greyhound Wheelie Bins, they can live in them and recycle their cans, Eoin Murphy will love it.

There's no bins in Dublin, the last time I lived there many on the street wouldn't pay for wheelie bins, leaving rubbish on the street or piling it on the one public bin or clothes banks. S

Shall we bulldoze their homes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Mod: Bulldoze - seriously. Chinesea and the_syco, don't post in this thread again.

Advertisement