Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carer's Allowance - Calculating Hours

• 14-06-2020 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

I'm wondering how I should calculate my hours for the purpose of applying for the carers allowance. I've recently moved home to care for an elderly relative. Should I only tot up the time I spend actively showering/dressing/preparing food etc for them, or should I include the time I am 'on call' so to speak but not actually doing anything ('supervising' things per the language of the Dept.) such as while sleeping?

I am there for this person 24 hours a day but don't want to seem disingenuous by putting this down.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭lughildanach

If you do not live with the person, you are usually required to be providing care for at least 35 hours per week to be considered to be providing full-time care. You also have to ensure that there is a system in place to meet the care needs when you are not there.

As far as the hours you spend are concerned, I would put down the hours you actually attend the house. If you are on call and are regularly called outside of your normal hours, then include the time you attend those calls in your calculations. If it is irregular, then average out the time.

If the time you put on the form is less than 35 hours, they will refuse the claim. This can be appealed, as there is no 35 hour requirement in the legislation, but it can be hard to persuade an Appeals Officer that you are providing full-time care if are there less than you would be for a full-time job.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Mollycam

Surprised that you would be expected to do a 35hr week when you have option of working up to 18 hours a week once you have ensured that someone else is providing care in your absence. And in all fairness how could the State (even though this is exactly the case!!!) expect someone to provide care to an elderly relative for 35 hrs a week for €219pw while foregoing a salary. Application must have got much tougher as I received CA some years back for my elderly parents and I can't remember specific hours, however their medical reports probably were a major factor in getting it.

Advertisement