Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trailer tent advice

• 14-06-2020 9:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Would like to explore possible purchase of a trailer tent for holidaying around Ireland. Where can I buy one? Anyone here with experience of these and any advice for a newbie?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,615 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

No direct experience.

The older ones I see seem to always look like the tent is two sizes too big for the frame.

Two years ago in France we were parked in a pitch next to a brand new one, English family. I can’t remember the make but it looked brilliant. Really high end. Even my Mrs who had completely shot down the idea of one was very impressed. It slept a family of 5 and had a porch section he said was an extra to the base model but doubled the footprint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Spent the summers of my youth in an imported one. So no help on where to buy.

But it was exactly as Brian described. The piece that folded out had two double bed sections with two singles underneath. So slept 6 in comfort. Then there was a second section of the same size that you assembled in front to double the footprint and make a kitchen/living room. The rear door of the trailer was a sink and gas cooker unit. Never used the sink but the gas cooker was great. The kitchen table folded up and became a shelf in the closed in trailer. Then if you really wanted to set up stall there was a further small section that could be used to make a covered porch/awning in front for sitting out.

It was very fast to set up relative to similar large tents of that era but I think it might be slow relative to modern ones. (It's probably been ten years since I was in it.) All solid metal poles though so solid as a rock once up. The windows even had curtains!!

No idea if that's any help but if you have any specific questions about it feel free to pm. They were rare back in the day - no idea what it's like now. There seemed to be two distinct types. One was a very small mini trailer and our type which was much bigger trailer - a bit smaller than a folding caravan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,480 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

They seem to be much more popular in the UK, so you could look on ebay and travel when it's ok to do so again.

From what I remember from my youth there are two types. One has the kitchen inside the main unit, the other has a movable kitchen you put in the awning. The former is way better. Racelet in France do the one with the kitchen in the awning, I just don't see the point. Technically, all trailer tents are just beds in a trailer (from what I remember) and a folding camper is has the kitchen inside. I'd definitely go with the folding camper. You're likely to have heating, lights etc then. Pennine are a great brand but quite pricey. There was a nice one on DoneDeal last week for €2800 but seems to be gone now. Things are selling very fast these days so check regularly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

do a google of "trailer tents ireland"

The 3 main camping suppliers O'Mearas Charles Camping and Downshire in NI dont seem to have any but there seems to be quite a few for sale

Raclet and Conway are brands that have been around a long time

Im sure you'll find various demonstrations on the web

Had 2 over 15years or more an Alpine Kreuzer East German and a Conway, if I remember correctly.

Travelled all over Europe with 4 kids, including Sicily for the 1990 World Cup.

They have developed quite a lot in the meantime, I'm sure.

Look up Opus - just to get a sense of what's involved. It self inflates but is+€20,000

All in all, the best thing is to do some work on the web and see the various types that are there and how they work. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Thanks everyone

Advertisement