Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a gas BBQ for under 200 euros?

Options
  • 14-06-2020 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

I've tried charcoal BBQs but they are too much of a faff.
    Can I get a decent gas BBQ for 200(ish) euros or do I have to pay a lot more for a brand like Weber?
    Are there other decent brands or does it not matter?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Might be worth looking for a secondhand one.

I've an outback excel I got in homebase last year? It was a pain to assemble. It's fine for quick burgers or sausages but the one time i tried to do a pork shoulder the temperature was impossible to get right. I'm mostly cooking for one, so the gas is handy, but you will need a friend for assembly.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭john9876

Thanks @Tree.

That one looks promising.

I won't be doing any joints, just burgers and sausages mainly.
    Is a 2 burner sufficient for 4-6 people?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I've cooked for four on it no hassle. I guess 6 depends on whether you have to do it all in one go, or you can do it in stages with a beer in one hand

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Comerman

• Advertisement

Comerman wrote: »
    That's interesting. I had been looking at the Argos BBQs. They seem to get good reviews but some complain of uneven heat distribution saying that the back gets hotter than the front. Just wondering if you had noticed that?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

john9876 wrote: »
    That's interesting. I had been looking at the Argos BBQs. They seem to get good reviews but some complain of uneven heat distribution saying that the back gets hotter than the front. Just wondering if you had noticed that?

I think this can be a problem with all cheaper gas models.
    It was the biggest difference I noticed in the step up from a cheap Landsman to a Broil King.

On that note, as I understand it broiling is cooking with heat above the food - like what we use in our typical ovens to do what we call, "grilling".
    Grilling is cooking on a grid over heat - just like a gas bbq/grill.

So why are these grills called Broil King??

Now that you say it John :-) yes it does but I use it control the cooking temp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Now that you say it John :-) yes it does but I use it control the cooking temp

While this is doable - I did it for years - having even, controllable heat is a real pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The consensus with bbqs from Homebase/Argos seems to be that they will last a couple of years but degrade after that. If you can afford to spend more its probably best to do so rather than buying twice

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The consensus with bbqs from Homebase/Argos seems to be that they will last a couple of years but degrade after that. If you can afford to spend more its probably best to do so rather than buying twice

What do you recommend? Is there anything decent between the Homebase/Argos 200 euros and the Weber for 400/500?

What do you recommend? Is there anything decent between the Homebase/Argos 200 euros and the Weber for 400/500?

I agree but I'm a novice bbq man so my plan and thinking was if the argos one gets plenty of use etc I'll squirrel away a few bob and have enough to splash when this one dies.

I'm thinking of stretching to this model
    https://oaktreegardencentre.com/spectrum-bbq
    (I'm in the UK)
    What do you think?

(I'm in the UK)
    What do you think?

Says "out of stock" John

(I'm in the UK)
    What do you think?

I bought that one from argos on the 6/5/13 and its still going strong,paid 200e.
    Well its 95% the same !
    I did keep it indoors over winter for the first few years and always covered.
    Have replaced the flame tamers once (home made) and jus this year I had to fix up the wooden shelves (i did treat the woodwork 3/4 times).

Says "out of stock" John

doh! I could have sworn it was available when I posted the link!

Advertisement