Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Occasional gravel drive

• 15-06-2020 8:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Morning everyone,

I am looking at putting in a back garden drive area to park now and again, i have a gate so access is all good, its the drive on area i am looking for info on.

I have dug down 4 inches or so and i do need to level this but its the materials and order to lay them i am confused about.

So i want to use gravel stabilising mats but i am wondering the following :

do i put 804 hardcore down then level then put the Sheets then the decretive stone?

or are the sheets right at the bottom directly on the muck?

is there sand used in any of this ?

thanks a million
    D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Idioteque

Check out this site, lots of good info on sub-bases, drainage and projects that need them.

With the mats, you get what you pay for so just make sure to buy ones meant to take vehicle loads as some are just to meant to hold the gravel in place and not meant for vehicle traffic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I have used those mats on pedestrian areas and found that they need good edge support, e.g. brick paver, otherwise they just bend at the edges, spill gravel and look ugly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

Idioteque wrote: »
    Check out this site, lots of good info on sub-bases, drainage and projects that need them.

With the mats, you get what you pay for so just make sure to buy ones meant to take vehicle loads as some are just to meant to hold the gravel in place and not meant for vehicle traffic

thanks for that link , loads of info...

this is the sheets i was looking at.
    https://www.goodwins.ie/products/gravel-and-grass-stabilising-tile-matting-and-weed-block-120x80cm-x-30mm-4020120.html

seem to cover car load

Lumen wrote: »

:rolleyes:

thanks for that again. ;-)

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Really isn't necessary to use those mats.
    If the ground is any way good, digging out 150mm and laying 804 and compacting with a whacker will provide a perfectly adequate parking area.

looks good but i don't have the skill to lay paving at all, i know my DIY limits ;-)

Really isn't necessary to use those mats.
    If the ground is any way good, digging out 150mm and laying 804 and compacting with a whacker will provide a perfectly adequate parking area.

ground is ok.. getting muck level is another problem i have...

mats was jus to keep shape if i park a car long term on it.

but in reality it

wont be used much for car maybe washing once a week etc...
    only walking on etc..]

i might get some photos up to show you the area as it stands today

If it is muck as you say, as in soft mucky stuff, then you need to dig that out.
    Don't for the life of you place soil down to build up low spots. That will turn to shíte and end up a sunken area on the final surface.

If the ground is bad as in actual muck you should consider laying a geotextile under the 804. Don't know where you'll get such small quantities though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

as noted above, you don't need the dec stone etc, just use the 804 or similar and dig out two or more inches and let it settle.
    You also need to edge it or else keep the car well awy from the edges.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

More than 2 inches. You'd need 150mm i would say, even just to make up levels for what you take out in topsoil and soft material.

i will get some photos up after lunch, way easier than describing it.

photos added for context

More than 2 inches. You'd need 150mm i would say, even just to make up levels for what you take out in topsoil and soft material.

would there be less digging using the gravel stabilizers ?

levelling ground is not a strong point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I wouldnt bother with the gravel mats,

Be sure you're deep enough that youve removed all the topsoil,

I used 2 inch down first for a base, then 804, wack it all down and you're good to go.

It doesn't have to be level at the bottom, you'll make it level at the top.

I hate to labour the point, but IMO in this case edge restraint is everything.

If the gravel is bounded by an immovable perimeter, it's going nowhere and the worst you'll have to deal with is a few weeds.

If the edges aren't properly restrained, then over time the weight of the car will squish it out sideways and you'll have problems.

no need for an edge really. Just make the area wide enough, land in your 804 and whack it down well.

You could put down an edge, but there isn't really any point.

As said, don't get your knickers in a knot over having the base of the excavation level. It just has to be appriximately 150mm deep and free of soft spots or obviously mucky patches.

Lumen wrote: »
    I hate to labour the point, but IMO in this case edge restraint is everything.

If the gravel is bounded by an immovable perimeter, it's going nowhere and the worst you'll have to deal with is a few weeds.

If the edges aren't properly restrained, then over time the weight of the car will squish it out sideways and you'll have problems.

the edge of the grave should be level with the path in the photos, the sleepers will hold it in on the other sides.

so just need to order the 804 compact and then the some nice drive way stones

trust me, you are better off not laying down a timber edge. It will just get slimey and lethally slippy in the wet and over time it will eventually rot and start festering with weeds.
    It just isn't necessary unless you are very concerned about the cosmetic appearance of it.

Just lay a sufficiently wide 804 hardstanding so that the car doesn't drive directly on the edge, and you will be fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement