Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fathers Day gift ideas for dad in mental health unit

• 15-06-2020 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Wasn't really sure exactly where to post this but here we are!

Not too long into the lockdown my dad was admitted into a mental health unit. Although he has improved to an extent, he is still there over 2 months later and I doubt he will be discharged before this Sunday which is Father's Day. We also can't see him due to visiting restrictions so we can only drop stuff into the hospital.

Obviously we want to give him a gift but in these circumstances I'm finding it difficult to come up with an idea. I don't want to give him your usual father's day gifts of shirts or DIY stuff etc because they're useless to him right now but I also don't want to give him an overly personal gift in case it upsets him. It's hard to think of something that's a good balance.

I would appreciate any suggestions people may have!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Does he read? My dad loves poetry and with something like that he can dip in and out of so isn't too taxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 throwaway21

Does he read? My dad loves poetry and with something like that he can dip in and out of so isn't too taxing.

He does a bit but unfortunately his interest in reading has seemed to disappear since he hasn't been well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Some board games? Or a pack of cards ye could all have a game of? Netflix subscription?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Throwaway I really do sympathize. I find I'm missing my Dad a lot as we approach Father's Day.

How about a tablet? They come in all sorts of prices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Cant go wrong with slippers! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Purgative wrote: »

This is an idea, maybe with loads of films on it. Or if he is into podcasts you could get a subscription service for him. Again, there is so much variety in these that he could be engrossed in a 6 hour long documentary series or a 15 minute Ted Talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Mindfulness colouring book and a nice set of colouring pencils?

Jigsaw puzzle (for when he goes home, it's hard to find somewhere to set one up in hospital.)

A book of short stories (often easier to manage than long novels.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Purgative wrote: »
    Throwaway I really do sympathize. I find I'm missing my Dad a lot as we approach Father's Day.

Not all mental health units will allow electrical items, or specifically chargers, so worth checking this in advance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

but I also don't want to give him an overly personal gift in case it upsets him.

I probably would go for a more personal gift.. He's in the right place with the right supports and has plenty of time to think.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Would it be possible to ask the staff in the Unit, what might be helpful/ useful to him as a gift?

I hope that he continues to improve, and that you will be able to see him soon. All the best.

• Advertisement
Advertisement