Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you believe Reverse Racism exists?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

it depends, out on the street - absolutely not , in the working classes - absolutely not, in the boardroom, higher executive positions and promotions , the media, on social media - absolutely yes.

In 2017 72% of those in top management positions of Fortune 500 companies were white men https://fortune.com/2017/06/09/white-men-senior-executives-fortune-500-companies-diversity-data/

The richest businessmen on Earth are majority white men.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,385 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Whites in the US are down from over 90% 60 years ago to 65% today. Whites in the UK are projected to be a minority by 2060, even without further immigration.

By minority, you mean lower than a simple majority but obviously still the largest racial group, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

There’s no reverse about it, there is racism against white people. Difference is we are supposed to accept it, it’s our comeuppance, but don’t dare show racism towards people of colour. Well we’re all people of colour, whether white, black, whatever and the current wave of BLM will just make racism worse, and split society even further than it ever has been. If it’s equality they espouse, then they need to stop the decisive tactics because it’s only as equals, and acting as equals that we can move forward. The current behaviour from BLM is never going to support the change needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Check what's happening to whites in South Africa

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

it depends, out on the street - absolutely not , in the working classes - absolutely not, in the boardroom, higher executive positions and promotions , the media, on social media - absolutely yes.

Class divide informing different opinions. Modern left wing activists are usually far removed from the working class and that has accelerated over the last 5 years.

That wasn't always the case .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

rossie1977 wrote: »
    In 2017 72% of those in top management positions of Fortune 500 companies were white men https://fortune.com/2017/06/09/white-men-senior-executives-fortune-500-companies-diversity-data/

correct, but id imagine if you went 20 years before that, it was likely 90% , not saying they need all the positions but there is a concerted PR and investor led agenda to diversify boardrooms, even at the expense of the best candidate being promoted, and the message is very clear 'no more white men'

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Racism exists. There is both casual and systemic racism.

I'm not a fan at all of the recent argument that the only kind of racism is systemic racism, and thus, the minority can never be racist against the majority who have all/more control of the system. Maybe they can't be systemically racist against them, but they can certainly be casually racist.

Reverse racism, as I understand it, is the idea that attempts to improve the lot of a particular minority (affirmative action in the USA, for example), constitute a form of systemic racism against members of the majority, as these policies will result in discrimination at individual level (such as when a quota means a member of a minority gets a college place/job ahead of a member of the majority). It's hard to disagree that these things will happen at individual level. Whether it amounts to systemic discrimination is another question though.

Where 'reverse racism' is used to simply mean racist acts by members of a minority towards members of a majority, it's just racism in my eyes, no need for the word 'reverse'.

Coming soon to a country near you if we keep going as we are

That poster was being doing irony.

I let the missus do the ironing, so I wasn't familiar enough with it.

I'll try harder

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I have personally experienced racism from African Americans. I lived in NYC for over 15 years. Also why do you call it "reverse racism"? It's just racism.

On my very first day in New York in 1999 I got called a "white f*ggot" by some Nation of Islam guys in Union Square.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Figel Narage

I mean the definition of it is "a person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another." Anyone can do that, white, black, brown, whatever. I know why they say reverse racism as it's a power thing but it's racist to paint all white people as such. Ireland had been occupied for hundreds of years, what did we avail of

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

By minority, you mean lower than a simple majority but obviously still the largest racial group, right?

Yes, but other groups tend to band together while they have a common rival in the larger white group. If the whites could be eliminated they would proceed to fight amongst themselves.

What is happening in South Africa is the vast majority of farm workers killed are black..

Except right wing media and far right propaganda youtube channels don't report that. They also don't report white farm owners killing other white farm owners surprisingly enough either.

South Africa is a violent place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Ive read a lot in recent weeks about statistics and yeah I agree there is definitely systemic racism in certain countries. That said statistics can be very misleading, to say that a you are x times more likely to be killed or x times more likely to be searched if you are a black male in the US is evidently true but is it 100% the result of systemic racism? Or does the way certain elements of the black community behave influence these statistics? Statistically an black person is way more likely to be killed by another black person in the USA. The point you are making about the top companies executives being mostly white is a valid one but not entirely due to racism. I think the real issue is education or lack of it when it comes to minorities in the US.

sabat wrote: »
    On my very first day in New York in 1999 I got called a "white f*ggot" by some Nation of Islam guys in Union Square.

I was in New York in paddy's day parade in 2004 and guy behind me said 'fu*king Irish' so what does that say..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

I'd see reverse racism as when someone gains from it. Like a person getting a job because they are black. Quota systems for diversity are reverse racism.

What is happening in South Africa is the vast majority of farm workers killed are black..

Except right wing media and far right propaganda youtube channels don't report that. They also don't report white farm owners killing other white farm owners surprisingly enough either.

South Africa is a violent place

Go read a bit more, there’s far more to it than farmers and farm workers. If you’re white in South Africa now, you won’t even get a job, there are rules about hiring black people which flavour them over whites. We need to be careful setting all sorts of gender or diversity quotas in Ireland because it’s not the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

That's mad, can you add some source for me to read about this?

I was in New York in paddy's day parade in 2004 and guy behind me said 'fu*king Irish' so what does that say..

I lived in Yonkers for almost 16 years. I could write an essay about the racism I experienced from black people. Ranged from blatant abuse to subtle changes in the persons attitude when they spoke to you. Looking me up and down and spitting on the ground calling me "Honky" Don't even mention the Mexicans and the racism they are subjected to. It amazes me that that community aren't out marching and complaining more.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,343 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Oh, and can people please quit with the effing nonsense that because there are people in all walks of life that are racist, that there is systemic racism in all walks of life...it's BS.

Systemic racism is a whole corrupted body......

The KKK have systemic racism....I get this

Some cops who are racist, or some teachers that are racist, or some doctors that are racist, or some lawyers that are racist does not mean that those bodies are systemically racist,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Nozebleed wrote: »
    well there are those who believe black people cant be racist to a white person. its only a one way street.

Those people are wrong and are most likely racist.

Ive read a lot in recent weeks about statistics and yeah I agree there is definitely systemic racism in certain countries. That said statistics can be very misleading, to say that a you are x times more likely to be killed or x times more likely to be searched if you are a black male in the US is evidently true but is it 100% the result of systemic racism? Or does the way certain elements of the black community behave influence these statistics? Statistically an black person is way more likely to be killed by another black person in the USA. The point you are making about the top companies executives being mostly white is a valid one but not entirely due to racism. I think the real issue is education or lack of it when it comes to minorities in the US.

Statistically you are more likely to be killed by someone you know rather than a stranger so yes majority of black people will be killed by black people in their own neighbourhoods, Latinos vice versa and same with whites.

No question if you are a black man in the US you are far more likely to be stopped and searched or jailed than any other race/sex.

More black men are currently in US prisons per capita right now than there was black men in jail in South Africa at the peak of apartheid.

Danzy wrote: »
    Seen it in Ireland, saw it loads while J1ing in New York.

The visceral hatred for oriental from black Anericans,often physical, the return though never saw physical, and on and on.

Right. And did you report it or just watch it? It took decades for some groups to have racism and discrimination taken seriously. If you're worried about white people being discriminated against, report it when you see it.

Like the leader of the Nation of Islam, Louis Farrakhan, lots of Democratic Congress friends, DNC friends, media friends.

He calls Jews Termites and they need extermination.

Gays must die as well.

He is a less subtle David Duke.

I get the Jews aren't often the flavour of the month among segments of the modern left.

This is full on calls for extermination though

Yet leading Democrats will still meet him.

Look at Ice cubes tweets during the week about Jewish global control.

If Brad Pitt did that it would see him become a pariah. Did anyone cancel Ice Cube and say f off you deranged lunatic cu78 or word to that effect. No.

It is the hypocrisy that is the problem here.

We can see the Labour party in Britain go on about Women's rights but attend gender segregated meetings, support no platform but share a platform and praise people who call for Jews and gays and many women to be killed.

It's the disjointed nature of it all. It builds on the idea that the left is the modern Church, special dispensation for some, especially friends and the rich, fire and brimstone for the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Figel Narage

Haha good old nation of islam guys. Form what I've seen online fairly well dressed. I'm originally from the UK but left when I was very young, go back there a lot and walking around where I used to live, there's an area where no white people live and you stick out like a sore thumb walking around. I can count a few times when I've had stuff said to me for being white and I doubt they'd care if they heard my Irish accent either haha. I'm not saying this in that I'm oppressed or life is hard or anything because it's not and it's not a common thing but to act like white people don't get racial abuse shouted at them is just not true.

screamer wrote: »
    Go read a bit more, there’s far more to it than farmers and farm workers. If you’re white in South Africa now, you won’t even get a job, there are rules about hiring black people which flavour them over whites. We need to be careful setting all sorts of gender or diversity quotas in Ireland because it’s not the way to go.

You should be hired on merit. Make education available to everyone regardless of ethnicity. The people who are hard working and committed will rise to the top. Quotas are definitely racist.

Danzy wrote: »
    I let the missus do the ironing, so I wasn't familiar enough with it.

I'll try harder

It was amusing because so many of these threads are made up of people pretending to think things like "no more white Christmas" and "what about Black Friday?". And then you actually thought it was an example of someone saying it for serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

You should be hired on merit. Make education available to everyone regardless of ethnicity. The people who are hard working and committed will rise to the top. Quotas are definitely racist.

The issue is we did that, universities then decided to play divide an conquer again, encouraging freshly out of school kids to choose 'social justice' or 'equality studies' as degrees instead of something that will earn them a living, condemning those same minority students to a life of servitude at the bottom of the income ladder, allowing academics to perpetuate their ideas of prejudice.

It was amusing because so many of these threads are made up of people pretending to think things like "no more white Christmas" and "what about Black Friday?". And then you actually thought it was an example of someone saying it for serious.

Hard to tell what is satire now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

I have been call a ****ing Irish Bastard on a couple of occasions but I'm not sure that counts as racism.

Advertisement