Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you believe Reverse Racism exists?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

biko wrote: »
    That's mad, can you add some source for me to read about this?

http://www.702.co.za/articles/278024/more-black-farm-workers-are-killed-than-white-farm-workers

This is the kind of story that the far right conspiracy gang don't want people to read https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/how-far-right-fan-flames-south-africa-farm-murders-1-6193577

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I was racially abused by a group of scammers in Times Square in New York. Not particularly fun when a group of 4 large black men start screaming abuse at you for not wanting to buy their stupid CD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Statistically you are more likely to be killed by someone you know rather than a stranger so yes majority of black people will be killed by black people in their own neighbourhoods, Latinos vice versa and same with whites.

No question if you are a black man in the US you are far more likely to be stopped and searched or jailed than any other race/sex.

More black men are currently in US prisons per capita right now than there was black men in jail in South Africa at the peak of apartheid.

The point I was trying to make is that throwing out statistics like these is not telling the entire story. Why are more blacks in jail? They are in jail for a reason, they've committed a crime. The racism is more deeply rooted and thats what should be highlighted. Minorities in Ireland can go right through our educational system as far as a university degree for free. This is not the case in a lot of other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Figel Narage

Yester wrote: »
    I have been call a ****ing Irish Bastard on a couple of occasions but I'm not sure that counts as racism.

Personally I don't think that is. I would call that xenophobic. Irish people aren't a race

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

Personally I don't think that is. I would call that xenophobic. Irish people aren't a race

So I am a victim of xenophobia?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Yes and No.

What we call racism is simple in-group preference, which is natural, and exists in all people.

The fact that it seems only to apply to whites betrays modern use of the word "racism" as an essentially anti-white pejorative.

And yes, the anti-white hatred is becoming clear now. Demographics are close to making whites a minority in formerly white countries like the US and Britain, and other groups are emboldened by the prospect. They can smell blood.

Racism does exist in everybody and that’s been proven. Sam Harris has said this is a philosophical problem, and parties don’t seem to be able to agree on the fundamental issue of what is right and wrong.

The black community have taken a stance after police officers murdered a black man, they are saying that police brutality occurs too regularly on black people, and this stems from racism.

What’s the fear of being in a minority? That we are then at risk of being treated like a black person?

The solution in the US must involve an overhaul of the police force, and eradication of systemic racism in the force.

Black people aren’t fighting against white people because they are white, they are fighting against white people because those white people are standing in the way of progress to equality, that’s not racism - the difference is held within the intent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Openly tolerated racism of course exists against whites.
    Just as open sexism against men exists also. It was even enacted in legislation to be legally permissible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,481 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Whites in the US are down from over 90% 60 years ago to 65% today, and project to be a minority before 2050. Whites in the UK are projected to be a minority by 2060, even without further immigration.

There are other non-white groups apart from black/African. I shouldn't have to explain this to adults.

There's a birthrate-affluence relationship that suggests more affluent people have a lower birthrate. Currently, black populations are on the less affluent side of things. If over generations things improve for the poorer groups then the birthrate should slow down and muddy those projections.
    Rodin wrote: »
    Openly tolerated racism of course exists against whites.
    Just as open sexism against men exists also. It was even enacted in legislation to be legally permissible.

Where was this a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

begbysback wrote: »
    Racism does exist in everybody and that’s been proven. Sam Harris has said this is a philosophical problem, and parties don’t seem to be able to agree on the fundamental issue of what is right and wrong.

The black community have taken a stance after police officers murdered a black man, they are saying that police brutality occurs too regularly on black people, and this stems from racism.

What’s the fear of being in a minority? That we are then at risk of being treated like a black person?

The solution in the US must involve an overhaul of the police force, and eradication of systemic racism in the force.

Black people aren’t fighting against white people because they are white, they are fighting against white people because those white people are standing in the way of progress to equality, that’s not racism - the difference is held within the intent.

Much of the problems are in city forces with Black political and police leadership, with blacks being the majority of cops or close to it. That's an inconvenient truth.

While a lot of black cops are walking away from the force now, it is dwarfed by the exodus of white ones.

Do you honestly believe that that will lead to change?

Statistical analysis shows black cops are more likely to shoot black suspects, for many people it is the policing at all that us the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Figel Narage

Yester wrote: »
    So I am a victim of xenophobia?

I guess

• Advertisement

kowloon wrote: »
    There's a birthrate-affluence relationship that suggests more affluent people have a lower birthrate. Currently, black populations are on the less affluent side of things. If over generations things improve for the poorer groups then the birthrate should slow down and muddy those projections.

Where was this a thing?

Women-only jobs in academia. Men need not apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Foghach

There has to be balance though. Targeted overhauls maybe, blanket overhauls no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

That's right to an extent. Birth rates do drop over generations among non-whites when they become westernised, on account of employment, contraceptives and abortion, among other things.

Yet whenever the projections of a shrinking white population are revised they are always drawn nearer, not further away in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Danzy wrote: »
    Much of the problems are in city forces with Black political and police leadership, with blacks being the majority of cops or close to it. That's an inconvenient truth.

While a lot of black cops are walking away from the force now, it is dwarfed by the exodus of white ones.

Do you honestly believe that that will lead to change?

Statistical analysis shows black cops are more likely to shoot black suspects, for many people it is the policing at all that us the problem.

I agree the policing is a large part of the problem, what you also need to consider here is that racism is believe to be systemic within the police force, so get this - black cops can also be racist against black people.

I agree the policing is a large part of the problem, what you also need to consider here is that racism is believe to be systemic within the police force, so get this - black cops can also be racist against black people.

They can be but it sounds like that middle class left bolloxology that is false Consciousness.

Just another way of explaining square pegs not fitting in the round holes they demand them to.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

In 2017 72% of those in top management positions of Fortune 500 companies were white men https://fortune.com/2017/06/09/white-men-senior-executives-fortune-500-companies-diversity-data/

The richest businessmen on Earth are majority white men.

That statistic on it’s own is meaningless. It requires context. If you were to compare like with like, then yes, 72% of those in top management positions of Fortune 500 companies were white men. Now ask yourself what percentage of those people living below the poverty line, were also white men?

Black people currently make up about 13.8 percent of the U.S. population, and about 27 percent of these Americans fall below the poverty line. The population overall rates as about 15 percent poor. So black people in the United States face nearly twice the risk of living in poverty as average Americans.

This elevated risk reflects past and current institutional practices that put blacks and other minorities at a disadvantage. But it’s also true that almost three-quarters of black incomes do not fall below the poverty line. Collating poor and black as if all poor were black and all blacks poor turns the “poverty” problem into a “race” problem.

The white poverty rate does run much lower than the black rate, just under 10 percent, one-third of the black rate. But the white poor outnumber the black poor considerably, 19 to 7.8 million. White people make up 42 percent of America’s poor, black people about 28 percent.

The basic numbers don’t change when we look at people living in extreme poverty, in households making less than 50 percent of the meager poverty line. Of the 20 million people who live at this alarming level of want and deprivation, about 42 percent are white, 27 percent black.

Poverty More than a Matter of Black and White

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

This idea online that somehow white men in America are the ones being held down and prejudiced against is beyond hilarious.

the term " white male " is today used as a put down , its intended to be derogatory yet its entirely respectable to trot it out , colette browne of the irish independent doest it regularly as do countless other left wing media figures here , in the uk and america

thats prejudice at official polite society level

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    the term " white male " is today used as a put down , its intended to be derogatory yet its entirely respectable to trot it out , colette browne of the irish independent doest it regularly as do countless other left wing media figures here , in the uk and america

Men in general are neglected.
    Even in today's program for govt there's a special section on women's health. Nothing for men specifically

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Ardent

Here's Jordan Peterson being subjected to racism on stage:
    https://youtu.be/GxYimeaoea0?t=4346

Mad_maxx wrote: »

It's often just a polite way of class snobbery among the left and liberal middle class, though it has grown from that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Nozebleed wrote: »
    With all the anti-white sentiment on social media right now..is it time for people to acknowledge there is a real problem with Reverse Racism..

the level of anti-white hatred has never been so evident.

thats probably because of the amount of hatred towards blacks from whites

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

maccored wrote: »
    thats probably because of the amount of hatred towards blacks from whites

so anti black racism is white peoples fault
    and anti white racism is white peoples fault.

hmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Rodin wrote: »
    Men in general are neglected.
    Even in today's program for govt there's a special section on women's health. Nothing for men specifically

There would have been if people who care about men’s health lobbied Government and put men’s health on the discussion table.

I don’t agree that men in general are neglected, we do quite well for ourselves without any assistance from the State. I’d expect that if more people made men’s health an issue, then we might see as visible lobby groups for men as we do for women, ergo more attention and more funding for men’s healthcare.

so anti black racism is white peoples fault
    and anti white racism is white peoples fault.

hmm....

if thats how you reason things then I worry

Racism exists in every race, but chances are if some black people have a bad view of white people its probably because they have had more racial abuse as a black person from whites, than the other way around. it could also be they are racist - but to be able to even both sides out to get a balance you'd need a lot more 'reverse racism' (whever the **** that means) to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

It needs to be pointed out again that two-thirds of people killed by cops every year in the US are WHITE - only one-third are black.

One would not know this watching RTE, CNN or reading the Irish Times or NyTimes. You'd swear there were roving gangs of crooked cops out there targeting innocent blacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

It's not reverse racism though, is it? It's just racism.

Yes
    Yes and No.

What we call racism is simple in-group preference, which is natural, and exists in all people.

Back in the day I went out with a coloured lady. We were back at hers and she said "Sorry you could stay but my Mum and Dad don't like white people". I was gutted (because she was a absolute stunner) and horny - but I never thought of it as racism, just a simple group preference.

Purgative wrote: »
    Yes

Back in the day I went out with a coloured lady. We were back at hers and she said "Sorry you could stay but my Mum and Dad don't like white people". I was gutted (because she was a absolute stunner) and horny - but I never thought of it as racism, just a simple group preference.

Racism destroys lives and communities but when it interferes with getting the ride we all feel it.

It needs to be pointed out again that two-thirds of people killed by cops every year in the US are WHITE - only one-third are black.

75% of the states are white - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_the_United_States

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

maccored wrote: »
    if thats how you reason things then I worry

Racism exists in every race, but chances are if some black people have a bad view of white people its probably because they have had more racial abuse as a black person from whites, than the other way around. it could also be they are racist - but to be able to even both sides out to get a balance you'd need a lot more 'reverse racism' (whever the **** that means) to happen

but thats a cop out, by that token I could say modern anti black racism comes from white peoples experience of blacks committing crime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

Danzy wrote: »
    They can be but it sounds like that middle class left bolloxology that is false Consciousness.

Just another way of explaining square pegs not fitting in the round holes they demand them to.

It makes sense if you think about it.
    The systemic racism that views black people as a threat works on black people too. Why wouldn't it? They're part of the same society.

Advertisement