Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you believe Reverse Racism exists?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

micosoft wrote: »
    Is this like those rumours that blacks were given houses when they got off the plane along with the other wild and exaggerated rumours. Maybe the lefty media avoid it because it's a. largely untrue b. incredibly rare.

I live in north county Dublin and attacks have been very far form "incredibly rare" in the last 2 or 3 years and yeah the media for the most part are afraid to print it. This is a fact not my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Reverse racism does not exist. It’s a cop out to allow racism against whites.

I was sitting on a beach abroad minding my own busines and a black person walking passed called me a white chicken . Now people can laugh if they want but I’m pretty sure if the roles were reversed and I called someone a black ? , nobody would be laughing and calling me a racist straight out which is what that person is who called me that. # Double standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

There is a key difference between individual and systemic racism that is left out in these discussions. When people talk about reverse racism they usually mean individual racism towards a person in the dominant ethnic group from a person in a minority ethnic group, so the 'reverse' isn't actually needed. Individual racism can occur within anybody to anybody else and simply shows a lack of manners and respect. The 'reverse' is added because much of the discussion on racism in general is on systemic racism especially in the US and former empires like the UK and France due to the countries' unique histories and treatments of minority groups in the past.

The Republic of Ireland doesn't have much of a problem yet with systemic racism because it doesn't have a history of colonisation, nor, until the Celtic Tiger, does it have one of immigration since the Plantations of Ulster were set up and Protestant Scots were brought into Ireland, and Ulster is still a part of the United Kingdom as Northern Ireland so the Unionists do not matter to the RoI until reunification occurs. But the British and the Unionists were systemically racist against the Irish in Ireland and Northern Ireland for centuries, and some Irish have been individually racist against the British/Unionists.

Unfortunately it seems the recent African immigrant population from after the 1980s and especially the second generation youth in Ireland would rather associate themselves with British and especially London culture rather than Irish culture and the Irish government and society isn't trying enough to integrate and assimilate them. Part of this is because of the overwhelming influence of foreign media and culture, especially American and British media and culture, upon these immigrant youths. This means there is a huge chance that in another generation they become another Ulster Unionist-esque community whose culture is British and at odds with or rejected by the wider Irish culture and leading to systemic racism towards the minority culture and individual racism by both sides.

Danzy wrote: »
    Reverse racism only came in to use in response to the utterly ridiculous idea from some that racism is prejudice + power.

That has gained traction across the modern left.

It's a ridiculous term but it is a response to a ridiculous definition.

Reverse racism is when someone is treated favorably as a result of their race.

Getting the job because the company wants to be seen to hire a minority person despite not being the best candidate.

And it does exist but there can be times when it's a necessary evil. The psni original recruitment drive of 50% Catholics for example. Ok not exactly racism but close enough. It was needed to address an issue that existed at the time regarding years of anti Catholic policies.

Does it exist? Yes. Should it exist? No. Is there times when it's needed? Sadly yes. There may come a time when such policies simple aren't needed and no one cares but at present the world's full of prejudiced people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Would this be classed as a reverse racism attack , racist attack or a gang of teens picking on a girl , I'd go with racist attack

https://www.sausageroll.com.au/news/australian-teen-girl-brutally-beaten-by-black-lives-activists-in-melbourne-cbd/

• Advertisement
Advertisement