Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I do not understand this view of needing a Minister from every Province or whatever. That is pothole politics at its worst. Someone might explain the need for geographical spread. County Councils are at county level, National politics is at whole of country level. Shakes head.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Dangerous putting Catherine Martin in charge of media and culture briefs. That will have to be monitored.

Get ready for the license fee increase. Great value at €260 a year - shur that's less than €1 a day for such quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Dangerous putting Catherine Martin in charge of media and culture briefs. That will have to be monitored.

John Bruton is official chaperone to the Greens, any missteps and the weedkiller goes on the cabbage patch

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

There will be a statue of Michael Fitzmaurice put up in Glinsk or wherever hes from before the morning!

I do not understand this view of needing a Minister from every Province or whatever. That is pothole politics at its worst. Someone might explain the need for geographical spread. County Councils are at county level, National politics is at whole of country level. Shakes head.

Optics, country has to be seen to be fairly represented, leaving out the whole west coast with 2 major cities looks like very poor judgement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,221 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It's going to be the first crucifix for the new coalition...buckle up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I'd love to see the candidates the Irish Internet Party would put forward. :D

Be careful what you wish for, it's like something that would actually happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Optics, country has to be seen to be fairly represented, leaving out the whole west coast with 2 major cities looks like very poor judgement

Limerick insist on electing useless TDs. Their own fault really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Get ready for the license fee increase. Great value at €260 a year - shur that's less than €1 a day for such quality.

The licence fee is great value for the quality of media we receive to be honest. I don't think people realise how good RTÉ is when you compare it to the absolute dross that is available via a SKY subscription, or in countries where all public television is privatised.

I'd be happy to see an increase in the fee. Never has public service broadcasting been more important or necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Enda personally made a balls of the referendum and then promised to reform it.

The Manning report was produced and then left to sit on a shelf.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/government-yet-to-move-on-road-to-seanad-reform-1.4035283

Did Enda vote for everyone? Or did people vote on their own?

My recollection is I was one of the few to have it scrapped so now trying to blame Enda is a load of BS to be honest? The people got the chance to vote. They picked to keep it so suck it up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

If you biggest concern after covid is 100 quid on a license fee I desperately hope your rights

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Whats a mandate?

8% of the vote for the greens, and Michael Martin scraping in on the 6th count, after helping to destroy the country the last time he had any power

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    You always welcome to apply yourself

I wouldn't mind but it's a complete waste of time from the point of view of trying to achieve real change. It's a completely rotten culture, politics, grab what you can and run away, desperate system, but what is the alternative.?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

8% of the vote for the greens, and Michael Martin scraping in on the 6th count, after helping to destroy the country the last time he had any power

I'll ask again.

What's a mandate?

The licence fee is great value for the quality of media we receive to be honest. I don't think people realise how good RTÉ is when you compare it to the absolute dross that is available via a SKY subscription, or in countries where all public television is privatised.

I'd be happy to see an increase in the fee. Never has public service broadcasting been more important or necessary.

Why increase the fee? Why not get the Minister to do their job and make the changes necessary to make RTE function better financially first? Unless you also believe it is functioning as best it can financially.

Why though? A minister is a rep of ALL the people, not just those in his/her constituency. This kind of rubbish thinking has to stop.

But then again the West has Dillie O'Wee and Eamon mo Chroi, so no wonder they were bypassed.

I'll ask again.

What's a mandate?

It's when you tell the electorate what you will and won't do and they vote for you on that basis.

E.G. 'We won't go into coalition with FG'. If you go in to coalition with FG then those that voted for you can say they didn't give you a mandate to do that.

It's not hard to understand.

Why though? A minister is a rep of ALL the people, not just those in his/her constituency. This kind of rubbish thinking has to stop.

But then again the West has Dillie O'Wee and Eamon mo Chroi, so no wonder they were bypassed.

Yet Harris gets a job?

Yet Harris gets a job?

Ah bless you my child. Harris is no genius, but he did work very hard and under very stressful conditions during the lockdown, and he has Crohns too which meant he should have been cocooning too. Hard work is never easy.

What the F did the wasters in the West do? Nothing but squabble about getting into bed with SF, and going to ground. Typical, but they are lifers like a lot from all parties, doesn't mean they deserve a seat at Cabinet just because of where their constituencies are.

Anyway MM sees the writing on the wall with that pair. Gather your friends around you and leave your enemies to fight amongst themselves. It is all a bit of a game anyway.

Ah bless you my child. Harris is no genius, but he did work very hard and under very stressful conditions during the lockdown, and he has Crohns too which meant he should have been cocooning too. Hard work is never easy.

What the F did the wasters in the West do? Nothing but squabble about getting into bed with SF, and going to ground. Typical, but they are lifers like a lot from all parties, doesn't mean they deserve a seat at Cabinet just because of where their constituencies are.

Anyway MM sees the writing on the wall with that pair. Gather your friends around you and leave your enemies to fight amongst themselves. It is all a bit of a game anyway.

So the awarding of Ministries is about attrition and not progressive as you originally excused it as. Didn't take you long to reveal yourself. :)

• Advertisement

So the awarding of Ministries is about attrition and not progressive as you originally excused it as. Didn't take you long to reveal yourself. :)

It's about awarding Ministries to intelligent people who will serve the Country not the constituency, not the potholer brigade. End of story.

I can guarantee you that if SF were in Gov their Ministries would ALL be in the border counties anyway. As I said it's a bit of a game and is tactical.

I'll ask again.

What's a mandate?

Not 2 bitter rivals going together for the sake of power, this is just a numbers game.

It's about awarding Ministries to intelligent people who will serve the Country not the constituency, not the potholer brigade. End of story.

I can guarantee you that if SF were in Gov their Ministries would ALL be in the border counties anyway. As I said it's a bit of a game and is tactical.

But....'A minister is a rep of ALL the people, not just those in his/her constituency. This kind of rubbish thinking has to stop'.

Stop bull****ting us.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

This.

When you see the state of Canadian and Australian (non SBS) TV and radio for example, you realise how lucky we are.

The constant comparison to our nearest neighbour what really hurts the perception of RTÉ. But even then the quality of UK TV has gone to the dogs and radio outside of possibly Radio 4 is actually unlistenable.

But....'A minister is a rep of ALL the people, not just those in his/her constituency. This kind of rubbish thinking has to stop'.

Stop bull****ting us.

Ah come here to me, you know as well as I do what I meant. You are being deliberately vexatious.

A minister is for all the people, they are elevated on merit and brain power, not by what they do for their constituency.

I could not fault any minister in the interim/holding Government. They all did well under difficult circumstances, and I doubt anyone would care where they came from as a result. That is all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

No ministers from the west , Green demand?

The South East didn't get a Minister in either of the last two Governments, Waterford hasn't had one in over a decade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Truthvader wrote: »
    Eh..........I don't think anyone has any idea what you are talking about

There is no money for private rental companies if we build social and affordable.

Therefore..

Renting property and leasing for 25 years at great expense to the tax payer is preferable for a right wing private profit first party like FG.
    That's the reason they kept doing that even though it made matters worse.

A proper fiscally conservative party would push for social and affordable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

It's mostly british and american repeats mixed with shows made by relatives. Hence the poor quality. We'll just wait 'till Lottie Ryan takes over the LLS. Quality :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Was thinking it was peculiar they honed in on "Media". Im assuming there will be changes in the licence fee and maybe even social media regulation re-online abuse and slander perhaps?
    The Dept itself is quite a handfull- media, tourism, art, culture, sport and the Gaeltacht, obviuosly there will be afew junior ministers added to it

• Advertisement

Ah come here to me, you know as well as I do what I meant. You are being deliberately vexatious.

A minister is for all the people, they are elevated on merit and brain power, not by what they do for their constituency.

I could not fault any minister in the interim/holding Government. They all did well under difficult circumstances, and I doubt anyone would care where they came from as a result. That is all that matters.

Government in a republic is about representation for ALL the people...whether you think they are stupid or not.

You made a statement and then went on to vent that the cabinet was picked on attritional grounds.

You are a bull****ter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement