Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

This.

When you see the state of Canadian and Australian (non SBS) TV and radio for example, you realise how lucky we are.

The constant comparison to our nearest neighbour what really hurts the perception of RTÉ. But even then the quality of UK TV has gone to the dogs and radio outside of possibly Radio 4 is actually unlistenable.

RTÉ needs reform. The usual boring populists go on about the high-paid 'faces' of the company. But everyone of them - Tubridy, Duffy, Bryan Dobson etc - bring in far more on advertising than they cost in wages. They are a net profit for our semi-state broadcaster.

Advertising revenue has fallen through the floor, as more people move to the internet for their daily dose of outrage. That's not going to change. So the licence fee will need to increase. And that's a good thing for civic society.

We need a properly funded public service broadcaster. It's the sign of a proper social democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

It's about awarding Ministries to intelligent people who will serve the Country not the constituency, not the potholer brigade. End of story.

I can guarantee you that if SF were in Gov their Ministries would ALL be in the border counties anyway. As I said it's a bit of a game and is tactical.

Simon Covid number 19 Harris. Top notch.
    They were at their best when they stuck to script and followed advice of professionals.
    It's when they tried to think for themselves it all went awry.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Government in a republic is about representation for ALL the people...whether you think they are stupid or not.

You made a statement and then went on to vent that the cabinet was picked on attritional grounds.

You are a bull****ter.

Got you riled and out of your slumber though ha ha. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 69,221 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Got you riled and out of your slumber though ha ha. :P

No...it was like batting away an annoying fly.

All pious, flowery talk but when it really came down to it, it was really about the disdain for ordinary people and theor concerns. Pure FG/FF concentrate.

The coalition should be roasted over this and they will be. The first crucifix. Watch this space.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

All pious, flowery talk but when it really came down to it, it was really about the disdain for ordinary people and theor concerns. Pure FG/FF concentrate.

The coalition should be roasted over this and they will be. The first crucifix. Watch this space.

What a lovely day this was, seeing the Greens go into government.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    What a lovely day this was, seeing the Greens go into government.

Oh, your a Green again.

Wonder will you be one when they bring the country out onto the streets in protest.

I'll bookmark your answer.

Sleep well tonight my friend, knowing our country is safe from the bullshytting SF crowd anyway. All mouth and no trousers and spending everyone else's money, and preaching to the converted with populist notions no less, and all DAT.

A new dawn awaits, and we shall see what happens. I'm prepared to give FF a chance with my heart in my mouth admittedly! But there is some protection available with a coalition, thankfully.

No hard feelings, but there is no need to get so angry either. It's all a bit of a game anyway.

Oh, your a Green again.

Wonder will you be one when they bring the country out onto the streets in protest.

SERIOUS Senior Hurling going there lol.

Sleep well tonight my friend, knowing our country is safe from the bullshytting SF crowd anyway. All mouth and no trousers and spending everyone else's money, and preaching to the converted with populist notions no less, and all DAT.

A new dawn awaits, and we shall see what happens. I'm prepared to give FF a chance with my heart in my mouth admittedly! But there is some protection available with a coalition, thankfully.

No hard feelings, but there is no need to get so angry either. It's all a bit of a game anyway.

You got found out...don't be pretending to be all magnanimous.

I'll give them a fair wind but won't be silent if they **** up. It hasn't been a great start. Martin has either been stupid not spreading the ministeries or he did it for a reason. Either way, flak is incoming.

francie knows well that im not sf fan, we butt heads more often than not

hes 100% correct that the omission of a senior ministry anywhere west and north of the shannon is a serious ****in slap in the face to that electorate

we all know very well that ministries are distributed geographically as well as along party loyalty, demographic and other lines

capability and fit are at the lower end of the criteria

that the three parties between them think so ****in little of the region most neglected and in need of representation and action is an awful show of contempt

i dont want sf in govt, but if that region returns a single ff/fg td or even one sympathetic to either party to the dail at the next opportunity then they are damned fools

indefensible representation, terrible optics, awful politics.

• Advertisement

Speaking of fair winds...not even a day old and already it is being laughed at:

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1277001695877365766

Night all...historic day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

All the bleating about the lack of a West Minister... I'm from there. Genuinely don't see any candidates deserving of it.

McSharry? Lol. Not a flying hope. As bad as Richie Boyd Barret for the shouting.

Feighan? Detested by most of his own county

Dillon? First time TD, definitely not ministerial quality imo.

Rabbite? Don't see it.

McHugh was Donegal and wasn't great let's be honest so the talent just isn't there to give one a Ministers position

Naughton the best of a dodgy bunch and she got a super junior which is grand.

Agree on the sentiments that the parochial nonsense about jurisdiction needs to stop, Mary or John from Ballygobackwards wanting TDs to ring about their social welfare or their medical card is flat out ridiculous tbh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

i dont want sf in govt, but if that region returns a single ff/fg td or even one sympathetic to either party to the dail at the next opportunity then they are damned fools

If we had any decent candidates I'd be in agreement with you but we don't have a single one.

As much as it pains me to say because I cannot stand SF Martin Kenny is one of the more qualified elected TDs in the area. Doherty too if we cast our eyes further north but again SF and I don't see eye to eye on basically anything ( I'm able to see both are capable politicians though)

its a totally different thing to note that TDs and ministers have a function to legislate for the entire country

to noting that the govt of the day should ensure balance at the cabinet on a regional basis to ensure regional interests are fairly protected

to batting away any analyis of only the tds in the ignored constituencys as if you couldnt as easily one-line away every single person sitting pretty in the cabinet this evening- what the **** have any of them as a headstart in any of the roles?

to noting that even disregarding all of the above, the govt *does* allocate and always *has* allocated according to geographical consideration (half the ****ing posts are only invented to allow for this and other gifts) and that even knowing and accepting this as practice they nevertheless thought so little of the entire region that they couldnt find a scrap for it

if you want to handwave away those points fine, but its optics and its more than optics and they should be terrified of the backlash if they care at all about the vote in the region- nb they dont, they have the place drained of people and money long since anyway. but that doesn't make it right and it wont help redress it.

crosspost- and look im not arguing for the quality, but that hasnt mattered for the places that got the plum posts, but even disagreeing with you id have to undermine my own point and actually note that i think Doherty is a total fool, i wouldnt let him pack my lunch

and calleary no better

so im not blind or one-eyed, but theres plenty of dross on the front bench and yes: geographical representation *still* matters

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Why do the West need a minister?

Cork South Central have 3. Does it matter?

It is not just Connacht, but throw in a line West of Cavan/Monaghan down to Limerick.

So you are talking about population in region of 1,000,000 people, half the country in terms of geography, the third and fourth largest cities with specialities in certain industries.

No one West of the Shannon bar the daughter of a tax dodger from Kerry.

No one to speak at cabinet table bar the chief whip.

And seriously the ones lambasting all politicians in the West as if the ones that have gotten ministries are any great shakes.
    I mean two muppets from Wicklow have two major ministries.
    And you can lambast the chief whip all you like, I wont argue.

Dopey Kenny?

Well you seem like you are a rational fellow.

---

Regardless of the idiocy of "western' voters thinking having a minister is some sort of gift or right, it's a wonder Dublin ever votes for anyone then given we keep getting a proportionally less of everything generally

Ah yes the wonderful politicians of Dublin.
    I mean who can forget the contributions of Haughey, Lawlor, Ahern, Callely, Bailey.

I do not understand this view of needing a Minister from every Province or whatever. That is pothole politics at its worst. Someone might explain the need for geographical spread. County Councils are at county level, National politics is at whole of country level. Shakes head.

Major roads and infrastructure projects are decided at central level not county council.
    Optics, country has to be seen to be fairly represented, leaving out the whole west coast with 2 major cities looks like very poor judgement

All it will take is for the greens to try start wagging the dog and it will cement the impression the two main parties don't give a shyte.

EDIT:
    it is just more of the arrogance of the main political parties these days.
    Their idea for the West is to use it for DP centres.

And before another poster chomps in I am a shinner, I have voted FG and somewhat Labour all my life.
    And just look at my posting history around here against sinn fein, but they are gifting them a huge chunk of the country off the bat.

leo the backstabbing little shyte is royally fooking up that party just so he can land some juicy role overseas.
    And Martin just wants the gig and couldn't fooking care less at this stage.
    The greens represent fook all bar the East of the country.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

RTÉ needs reform. The usual boring populists go on about the high-paid 'faces' of the company. But everyone of them - Tubridy, Duffy, Bryan Dobson etc - bring in far more on advertising than they cost in wages. They are a net profit for our semi-state broadcaster.

Advertising revenue has fallen through the floor, as more people move to the internet for their daily dose of outrage. That's not going to change. So the licence fee will need to increase. And that's a good thing for civic society.

We need a properly funded public service broadcaster. It's the sign of a proper social democracy.

I've heard this comment levelled a thousand times and it's a classic fallacy that is on par with flawed equivalency that if we paid less to our so-called high-profile broadcasters that they'd be snapped up by UK broadcasters, as if the market over there is so devoid of talent , they'd be dying to hire the likes of Ryan Tubridy and Pat Kenny on even bigger salariesas if they had the Midas touch and were better than what they already had.
    Don't make me laugh.

As a matter of interest, how do you know that advertising revenue would reduce if we decreased salaries of the household names or even cut them off, when we have no clear barometer to prove this because there has never been a significant overhaul of salaries or mainstays. One example we do have however, is when Pat Kenny left RTE for a private broadcaster, it didn't exactly lead to a collapse of Ad revenue did it? Your argument doesn't stand up to scrutiny on that basis alone and he was one of their biggest stars at the time even after he left LLS.

If anything the highly inflated salaries of stalwarts that are favoured at every turn is a a massive disincentive for a new generation of talented broadcasters to come through that could connect with a new generation to break the mould and contribute because they are shunted out.by staff on payroll that are long past their sell-by date.

**** increasing the licence fee, are you mad, people are tuning off from RTE as it is, because of mismanagement.

ETA: To keep thread on topic, It's same bizarre logic that was used by politicians and their supporters trying to justify their outrageous base wages (even before expenses) in that if we paid TDs or Ministers less than this they would succumb to corruption. Guess what? We still got corrupt politicians.. Bertie Aherne as Taoiseach got paid more than US president at the time and still ended up being a corrupt weasel....fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Oh, your a Green again.

Well he said he expected people to change teams and claim to support parties they never supported before :)

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭xl500

I am devastated today to find a party that destroyed our economy on more than one occasion and lost us our sovereignty and made life almost impossible for young people are now back in power

And then to add insult to it look at what The new so called reformed FF Taoiseach does he Appoints Timmy Dooley to the Seanad

This Timmy Dooley is the same man who was removed from FF Front bench for his role in the Voting Scandal

Was rejected by the people of Clare in the General Election

Was rejected by the Seanad Electorate in the Seanad Elections

But against all the Democratic Wishes of the People FF Still choose to appoint him to our Seanad

FF are still the same and a leopard never changes it spots

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/votegate-td-and-gaffe-prone-senator-fail-in-seanad-bids-39099227.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

xl500 wrote: »
    I am devastated today to find a party that destroyed our economy on more than one occasion and lost us our sovereignty and made life almost impossible for young people are now back in power

And then to add insult to it look at what The new so called reformed FF Taoiseach does he Appoints Timmy Dooley to the Seanad

This Timmy Dooley is the same man who was removed from FF Front bench for his role in the Voting Scandal

But against all the Democratic Wishes of the People FF Still choose to appoint him to our Seanad

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/votegate-td-and-gaffe-prone-senator-fail-in-seanad-bids-39099227.html

Have a nice cup of tea. It's too early to be getting upset

• Advertisement

Edgware wrote: »
    Have a nice cup of tea. It's too early to be getting upset

typical ff response deflect rather than address any of their Gombeen political strokes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Did you vote to close the Seanad?

Why are people complaining about the Seanad and when they had the chance to close it they didn’t

When did FF devastate the economy more than once?

Can someone explain why everyone is complaining about not having their local TD in a Minister role?

This is not county councillor, which I still think a huge amount of people having a clue what the difference is.

A TD is a job to cover the country, all of Ireland and yes have a link back into the local community but his priority is bigger than fixing a road and shaking a hand at a funeral

The Minsiters should be the best person for the job, not sticking in some yokel from xyz just to keep some people happy for a few days and then complain because he is useless at his job and they always knew he was a “gobsh**t”

Personally I don’t care where a minister is from as long as they do their job and delivery. I would think that’s what everyone wants? Or do people prefer to have the local TD who might be a clown but surah he/she is our clown?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Did you vote to close the Seanad?

Why are people complaining about the Seanad and when they had the chance to close it they didn’t

When did FF devastate the economy more than once?

If you read my post I did not complain about the Seanad I complained of the Appointment by FF Of Timmy Dooley after he had been rejected in Both General Election and Seanad Election

As to Fianna Fail Ruining Economy well its actually a pastime of theirs

Heres their most famous crook trying to tell us all how we have to pick up the can for FF disaster of 77 Election there are more if you would like me to post

https://youtu.be/GoXYTHlWXvQ

If you read my post I did not complain about the Seanad I complained of the Appointment by FF Of Timmy Dooley after he had been rejected in Both General Election and Seanad Election

As to Fianna Fail Ruining Economy well its actually a pastime of theirs

Heres their most famous crook trying to tell us all how we have to pick up the can for FF disaster of 77 Election there are more if you would like me to post

https://youtu.be/GoXYTHlWXvQ

I read your post, the Seanad has always had that option open for the Taoiseach so he/she can pick who they want

Pointless complaining about the who, the whole Seanad is a waste of money and should have been shut down at the last vote

That was the time to complain and do something about it

In regards to running the economy, think you also need to look at bit closer to home

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

If the Seanad operated the way it was originally meant it would be very useful.

Edgware wrote: »
    If the Seanad operated the way it was originally meant it would be very useful.

When has it operated like it should?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,591 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Why do the West need a minister?

Cork South Central have 3. Does it matter?

Its not really about needing one, looks bad that a whole section of the country seems to be forgotten about

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I read your post, the Seanad has always had that option open for the Taoiseach so he/she can pick who they want

Pointless complaining about the who, the whole Seanad is a waste of money and should have been shut down at the last vote

That was the time to complain and do something about it

In regards to running the economy, think you also need to look at bit closer to home

as you Say "I read your post, the Seanad has always had that option open for the Taoiseach so he/she can pick who they want"

They actually cant I would suggest you read up on the rules of the Seanad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,591 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It's about awarding Ministries to intelligent people who will serve the Country not the constituency, not the potholer brigade. End of story.

I can guarantee you that if SF were in Gov their Ministries would ALL be in the border counties anyway. As I said it's a bit of a game and is tactical.

And you don't think the Ministers from Dublin constituencies won't give preference to their own?

Shane Ross comes to mind.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement