Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

And you don't think the Ministers from Dublin constituencies won't give preference to their own?

Shane Ross comes to mind.

What did Shane Ross do for anyone? Dublin or not?

xl500 wrote: »
    as you Say "I read your post, the Seanad has always had that option open for the Taoiseach so he/she can pick who they want"

They actually cant I would suggest you read up on the rules of the Seanad

So you agree with the Seanad just not Timmy Dooley?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,595 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Necro wrote: »
    All the bleating about the lack of a West Minister... I'm from there. Genuinely don't see any candidates deserving of it.

McSharry? Lol. Not a flying hope. As bad as Richie Boyd Barret for the shouting.

Feighan? Detested by most of his own county

Dillon? First time TD, definitely not ministerial quality imo.

Rabbite? Don't see it.

McHugh was Donegal and wasn't great let's be honest so the talent just isn't there to give one a Ministers position

Naughton the best of a dodgy bunch and she got a super junior which is grand.

Agree on the sentiments that the parochial nonsense about jurisdiction needs to stop, Mary or John from Ballygobackwards wanting TDs to ring about their social welfare or their medical card is flat out ridiculous tbh.

Yeah sure nobody from the east coast asks their local TDs or Ministers to look into things for them its only the people in Ballygobackwards as you call it.

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Pushing for Stepaside Garda station to be reopened which is in his own constituency when stations all over were being closed.

O Riordain bladdering on about housing yet doesn't want it in his voters area.

Josepha Madigan objecting to a traveller site in her area.

So lets not pretend TDs in Dublin don't push for local issues same as anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭xl500

So you agree with the Seanad just not Timmy Dooley?

Exactly I detest the stroke politics that appointed him after he was rejected in general election and seanad election

• Advertisement

Exactly I detest the stroke politics that appointed him after he was rejected in general election and seanad election

Then you should have shut down the Seanad when you had the chance

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭xl500

Pointless discussion here I actually told you I agreed with the Seanad

Im out of this one

Pushing for Stepaside Garda station to be reopened which is in his own constituency when stations all over were being closed.

O Riordain bladdering on about housing yet doesn't want it in his voters area.

Josepha Madigan objecting to a traveller site in her area.

So lets not pretend TDs in Dublin don't push for local issues same as anywhere else.

I’m not getting into Garda station closure but loads of people in one area and not many in other, unfortunately that’s going to happen

Unless public transport gets sorted and people can easily commute to major hubs that will continue....

They are local issues that any TD would potentially loop in on, you don’t need to be a minister to resolve those.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,313 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I am devastated today to find a party that destroyed our economy on more than one occasion and lost us our sovereignty and made life almost impossible for young people are now back in power

And then to add insult to it look at what The new so called reformed FF Taoiseach does he Appoints Timmy Dooley to the Seanad

This Timmy Dooley is the same man who was removed from FF Front bench for his role in the Voting Scandal

Was rejected by the people of Clare in the General Election

Was rejected by the Seanad Electorate in the Seanad Elections

But against all the Democratic Wishes of the People FF Still choose to appoint him to our Seanad

FF are still the same and a leopard never changes it spots

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/votegate-td-and-gaffe-prone-senator-fail-in-seanad-bids-39099227.html

Also Clifford Lee rejected 3 times at the ballot box and after her old tweets were uncovered Martin stood by her and reappointed her to the Seanad. Both her and Dooley are fierce Martin loyalists and got their reward. Classic FF.

I’m not getting into Garda station closure but loads of people in one area and not many in other, unfortunately that’s going to happen

Unless public transport gets sorted and people can easily commute to major hubs that will continue....

They are local issues that any TD would potentially loop in on, you don’t need to be a minister to resolve those.....

Yeah thats my point, others were suggesting its just voters from the west that look for local issues to be solved and I'm pointing out its the same everywhere.

Real coincidence the Station that re opened was near him though wasn't it?

• Advertisement

I didn't realise that a single poster on boards had the power to close down the Seanad. Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Paved the way for eamon ryan by beginning an agressive road diet plan to grind dublins car traffic to a halt and install cycle lanes far beyond required capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

The licence fee is great value for the quality of media we receive to be honest. I don't think people realise how good RTÉ is when you compare it to the absolute dross that is available via a SKY subscription, or in countries where all public television is privatised.

I'd be happy to see an increase in the fee. Never has public service broadcasting been more important or necessary.

Maybe true but the licence itself is a stupid way of collecting. No-one in an apartment has one for a start while amyone under 30 hardly looks at TV. Better put a few Euro on every TV or laptop/ computer or some other easily collected tax than the licence

Yeah thats my point, others were suggesting its just voters from the west that look for local issues to be solved and I'm pointing out its the same everywhere.

Real coincidence the Station that re opened was near him though wasn't it?

Stepaside has boomed in last few years with a massive amount of houses built....after that I have no idea but I would expect the population went above the numbers required for a station

Not everything needs to be a conspiracy

Where is Ross now?

Paved the way for eamon ryan by beginning an agressive road diet plan to grind dublins car traffic to a halt and install cycle lanes far beyond required capacity

Dublin car traffic to a halt?

F**k me that happened in the 90s

We are now 30 years on and traffic is worse, maybe it’s time to look at alternatives? What you think?

Stepaside has boomed in last few years with a massive amount of houses built....after that I have no idea but I would expect the population went above the numbers required for a station

Not everything needs to be a conspiracy

Where is Ross now?

Ross is 70, he's happy as larry retired on his Ministers pension.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    I didn't realise that a single poster on boards had the power to close down the Seanad. Amazing.

I’m just making the point as you are aware the people of Ireland had the chance to shut the Seanad and didn’t, moaning about it now is too late.....

Ross is 70, he's happy as larry retired on his Ministers pension.

He got kicked to touched, he ran again and didn’t get in. So even the people in his area didn’t feel like he done a job for them

I’m just making the point as you are aware the people of Ireland had the chance to shut the Seanad and didn’t, moaning about it now is too late.....

People aren't moaning about the Seanad. They're pointing out the blatant cronyism of appointing the likes of Dooley and Clifford Lee to the Seanad. Got up to shenanigans and were rejected multiple times at the ballot box but the usual stroke politics come to the fore.

Bowie wrote: »
    There is no money for private rental companies if we build social and affordable.

Therefore..

Renting property and leasing for 25 years at great expense to the tax payer is preferable for a right wing private profit first party like FG.
    That's the reason they kept doing that even though it made matters worse.

A proper fiscally conservative party would push for social and affordable.

Ah, OK so you think that Fine Gael are deliberately not having the state build houses so that they can generate profits for private companies as part of some murky international conspiracy to squeeze money from people who would otherwise be entitled to free houses

Very interesting Mr Bond. It seems we have been underestimating Spectre.

Maybe try to get out more. Join a club and stay off the internet for a while

• Advertisement

He got kicked to touched, he ran again and didn’t get in. So even the people in his area didn’t feel like he done a job for them

Well nearly everyone was agreed he wasn't very good at the job and they got what they needed out of him at that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Anything good in the indo this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

A big area to the west and just east of the Shannon not covered or represented at cabinet.
    Must be all desperate stupid fcukers elected there wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You may not have noticed, but Dublin's car traffic is already well grinded to a halt.

https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-traffic-report-4491153-Feb2019/

The more people that cycle, the faster the remaining traffic moves, even with road diets if you look at the international experience.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    People aren't moaning about the Seanad. They're pointing out the blatant cronyism of appointing the likes of Dooley and Clifford Lee to the Seanad. Got up to shenanigans and were rejected multiple times at the ballot box but the usual stroke politics come to the fore.

The Seanad was always a place that kept jobs for the lads....FF are doing no different than any other party, in that regard they are all as dodgy as each other

I voted to shut it down, it should have been shut down, it a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

KyussB wrote: »
    That's not what Keyne's advocated - he advocated a Keynesian Stimulus through borrowing, to bring the economy back to Full Employment.

Deficits are what governments worldwide do, 90+% of the time...they are perfectly normal and a good thing...

What on earth is selfish about making sure there are enough houses, so that the average person can actually afford to live in this country? Jesus, you sound like someone who's already made it financially - and wants to pull the ladder up on upcoming generations, ruin loads of peoples lives, just to feel virtuous on climate issues...(while pretending to care about future generations, due to the effects of the climate)

You do realize the national debt is not a problem, right? It's leaving huge numbers of people unemployed for a decade that costs the country, and which saddles future generations with costs - right? Countries run up Public Debt all over the world, all the time, perfectly sustainably - it's a perfectly normal part of government finances...

Well that's funny, the Green's were all for Keynesian Stimulus, until it came time to get into government...

I didn't say anything at all about what Keynes advocated. You are putting words in my mouth. You do realise that we have gone from having an expected surplus of 2 billion to a deficit of 25 billion in 2020? We need to plug that gap before we do anything else. Maybe you you can't understand what this means. Think existing costs - unemployment benefit, teachers, nurses.

Jesus you sound like a People Before Puberty hipster studying first year economics in Trinners whose only contact with reality was when dentist dad cut his pocket money for week when he found weed in your bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

And you don't think the Ministers from Dublin constituencies won't give preference to their own?

Shane Ross comes to mind.
    Depends on the minister I suppose. I live in Covenys electorate and he's done dick for my town same town where he's from and he's done nothing for a place that needs serious work. We'll see how Mcgrath goes for us.

Why all this excitement about the Seanad it has been a retirement reward for jaded politicians forever. Plus it removes annoying egomaniacs to a space where they can mouth on for ever but no-one hears them. Hardly ever hear Ivana Bacik since they shunted her in but she is probably droning on there. Perfect solution to Boyd Barret. Well worth the money

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

hardybuck wrote: »
    The South East didn't get a Minister in either of the last two Governments, Waterford hasn't had one in over a decade.

Brendan Howlin was a minister from 2011 - 2016.
    John Halligan (Waterford) was a minister too, 2016 - 20.

There's more I'm sure, but that's top of my head.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Depends on the minister I suppose. I live in Covenys electorate and he's done dick for my town same town where he's from and he's done nothing for a place that needs serious work. We'll see how Mcgrath goes for us.

Big fish in a small pond I'd say. He probably couldn't wait to get out of the sticks and up to the pale.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement