Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

McMurphy wrote: »
    Brendan Howlin was a minister from 2011 - 2016.
    John Halligan was a minister too, 2016 - 20.

There's more I'm sure, but that's top of my head.

I'm talking about this and the last one.

Halligan was a Minister of State. Cullen was the last Minister in 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

hardybuck wrote: »
    I'm talking about this and the last one.

Halligan was a Minister of State. Cullen was the last Minister in 2008.

Sorry, I read it as last two (meaning the last two, ie not including the current) "the last two" meaning "the last two"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Right lads and ladies I’m out. It was fun but in the end I got what I wanted :-) FF is moved further along it ways to recovery and see you in 5 years when FF will be in a position to get a majority

I’m sure the same “people” will be here.

After reading Francie saying he was sitting on a boat reading off boards to his friend that has to be the saddest thing I’ve heard in my life so au revoir. Better things to be at....

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Right lads and ladies I’m out. It was fun but in the end I got what I wanted :-) FF is moved further along it ways to recovery and see you in 5 years when FF will be in a position to get a majority

I’m sure the same “people” will be here.

After reading Francie saying he was sitting on a boat reading off boards to his friend that has to be the saddest thing I’ve heard in my life so au revoir. Better things to be at....

Francie right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Truthvader wrote: »
    Why all this excitement about the Seanad it has been a retirement reward for jaded politicians forever. Plus it removes annoying egomaniacs to a space where they can mouth on for ever but no-one hears them. Hardly ever hear Ivana Bacik since they shunted her in but she is probably droning on there. Perfect solution to Boyd Barret. Well worth the money

So by 'shunted', you mean 'ran for election' and got herself voted in, right? Where do you think she was shunted from?
    Depends on the minister I suppose. I live in Covenys electorate and he's done dick for my town same town where he's from and he's done nothing for a place that needs serious work. We'll see how Mcgrath goes for us.
    That's the best recommendation you can give for any Minister. They're supposed to deal with national policy, not fix the potholes. Call your local Councillor for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Big fish in a small pond I'd say. He probably couldn't wait to get out of the sticks and up to the pale.
    By that logic so what will the West having a minister achieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

You may not have noticed, but Dublin's car traffic is already well grinded to a halt.

https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-traffic-report-4491153-Feb2019/

The more people that cycle, the faster the remaining traffic moves, even with road diets if you look at the international experience.

Dublins traffic problem was deliberately engineered to a large extent. Everyone knows of a road blocked, "no right turned" or footpaths deliberately widened to 20 feet for the sole pupose of reducing two lanes to one in their immediate area. They made the stillorgan duel carriage way three lane in 1979 because it couldn't handle the traffic then. 40 years ago. Back to two lanes now.

Little point in whining about it now. The Keegan/ Green Party anti car mob have won in Dublin and with the Greens in power now it will be one ****ty cycle into town for many come Winter as we move backwards to some fantasy generated by D4 fanatics none of whom have a real job. You should check out some of the cycling threads here to see the level of malice and spire towards car owners

• Registered Users Posts: 40,057 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Maybe this has been answer but why was Michelle o Neil in Dublin yesterday and Michael Martins family was in cork ? Either the rules apply to everyone or they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,057 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

No restriction apply to people coming from.the occupied counties afaik

Why wouldn't they apply its a distance of 20kms until Monday anyway but the convention centre didn't move to Dundalk recently did it ?

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Maybe this has been answer but why was Michelle o Neil in Dublin yesterday and Michael Martins family was in cork ? Either the rules apply to everyone or they don't.

Not enforceable to non residents of the state, not sure but I think the last caretaker govt were responsible for that loophole.

Senior gardaí not overly concerned about apparent Covid-19 loophole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

namloc1980 wrote: »
    People aren't moaning about the Seanad. They're pointing out the blatant cronyism of appointing the likes of Dooley and Clifford Lee to the Seanad. Got up to shenanigans and were rejected multiple times at the ballot box but the usual stroke politics come to the fore.
    It is one of the problems of the Seanad that it's seen as an ante room for the big house. Proposed abolition was the probably the right route but there was absolutely no effort made to present and prepare for what would be replacing it. In the end it was a tawdry and complacent campaign about money.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,313 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

No restriction apply to people coming from.the occupied counties afaik

Nice of SF to acknowledge the reality of two states on the island.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,227 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Why...is it not 'real'?

That now,you will have to ask the wise heads of FG about

The restrictions are legally enforcable afaik,but i know alot about donegal and louth,sligo etc were v.pissed off with people from the 6 counties visiting holiday homes

Same as people in wexford and waterford were annoyed by holiday home owners from.dublin coming down......

Everyone has basically ignored travel regulations since last weekend from what i can see.....think it was that garda funeral and no social distancing/restrictions at it, what finally saw a drop off
    The restrictions were enforced to get the virus under control. We've had no huge spikes at any point since they were relaxed. It's always been about most people complying, not everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Pushing for Stepaside Garda station to be reopened which is in his own constituency when stations all over were being closed.

O Riordain bladdering on about housing yet doesn't want it in his voters area.

Josepha Madigan objecting to a traveller site in her area.

So lets not pretend TDs in Dublin don't push for local issues same as anywhere else.

If the people whinging about Josepha Madigan owned the land in question they would quickly realise that it would be a complete waste of their money to use that land for a halting site. The land was public land and would secure a hefty payment to the State if used for development, a certain amount of which could be usedto build new halting sites which travellers could then wreck at their leisure

Pretty sure they've been trying to unite the two states since the introduction of partition.

Jesus, talk about an attempted smart arsed comment being anything but.

John halligan biggest contribution to irish politics was time he wanted to go to north korea to have a chat with kim to sort world peace....but couldnt deliver a cat lab for waterford

People wondering why shinners are taking over,our establishment elitest are a joke

The Cat Lab is in Programme for Government and the Greens/FF will get the credit. Halligan started the process but didnt speed it up. Probably reckoned it wouldnt matter as he was not standing in 2020

The reason people voted againest abloshing seanad,was that it was giving too much power to.the dail to shut down investigations,

Everyone kinda views the dail as corrupt tbh,
    Polls had people at over 60% in favour of abolition until quite close to the vote. It was more of a status quo vote than any great love of it. In short they blew the vote by making it all about money. Not sure where you're getting this Dail is corrupt bit from but OK.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    O Neill is S.F. The rules dont apply to them. Or maybe she was down to have a chat with Paddy Hooligan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Edgware wrote: »
    O Neill is S.F. The rules dont apply to them. Or maybe she was down to have a chat with Paddy Hooligan

Or to deliver Mary Lou her P45 from Slab and the boys

• Advertisement

Edgware wrote: »

The "rules" didn't apply/weren't enforceable to anyone not resident in the state, be that Michelle O'Neill, or Sammy Wilson, a German tourist, or drew Drew Harris children.

It was a loophole overlooked by...... Come on Edg, you can do it ............

Pretty sure they've been trying to unite the two states since the introduction of partition.

Jesus, talk about an attempted smart arsed comment being anything but.

No the rules just don't apply to them. Backfired badly on the shinners.

No the rules just don't apply to them. Backfired badly on the shinners.

The rules/law wasn't enforceable to anyone, not resident in this state, regardless of nationality, gender, political affiliation or anything else.

Your comment backfired, that's all.

Stop digging please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Listening to the radio this morn and couple female contributors mentioning there should have been more women.
    I've tried to get in line with this train of thought but I simply cannot reconcile the fact you should get a senior job running a country, the economic and wellbeing of millions of people simply because you have a fanny.
    What are posters thoughts on it?
    It could only work if the countries with whom we compete or are pressured by (countries looking to go at our tax system for example) equally employ the same selection process for the people to run the country.
    Because if we are competing against a state that chooses their best based on what they have to offer, then we would put ourselves at risk of being washed out because we have a selection policy that really had nothing to do with what you can do for our advantage.

The rules/law wasn't enforceable to anyone, not resident in this state, regardless of nationality, gender, political affiliation or anything else.

Stop digging please.

Shinners could've put a couple of brain cells together and realised that it wasn't the best idea. She had no business there yesterday, she has nothing to do with the Dail. But as we can see with the Paddy Holohan carry on, brain cells are in short supply in SF. Carry on.

Shinners could've put a couple of brain cells together and realised that it wasn't the best idea. She had no business there yesterday, she has nothing to do with the Dail. But as we can see with the Paddy Holohan carry on, brain cells are in short supply in SF. Carry on.

So we've moved on now from Michelle O'Neill not actually breaking any rules or laws, to you thinking she shouldn't have come down?

I agree that perhaps she shouldn't have travelled, lead by example and all that, but then again she probably considered it "essential for work".

You can however stop with the rules not applicable to her nonsense, because they actually did not apply to her or anyone else not residing in the state, that is the reality, no matter how you try to spin it.

Tbf mate,you seem someone who critises irregardless of what they do

Not that your critism.is wrong mind....just it seems pointless when its done for sake of it

Like the old saying,success comes in cans,not cant s......a constant barrage of negativity only hurts yourself,near on caused wipeout for shinners at local elections few years ago,but they have switched it around now and were only party offering positivity during last election

(See same happening now on social media sites,like twitter as they begin to erode negativity only posters)

So we've moved on now from Michelle O'Neill not actually breaking any rules or laws, to you thinking she shouldn't have come down?

I agree that perhaps she shouldn't have travelled, lead by example and all that, but then again she probably considered it "essential for work".

You can however stop with the rules not applicable to her nonsense, they did not apply to her or anyone else not residing in the state, that is the reality, no matter how you try to spin it.

Even the rules in NI say to avoid all non essential foreign travel. Seems no rules apply to her. She had no business in Dublin yesterday. None.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Michelle O’Neill doesn’t strike me as being the sharpest knife in the block.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Stop digging please.

Pretty sure Michelle O'Neill would be of the opinion she is a resident of this State though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement