Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    So this is just an opportunity to have a dig at SF because FG left a loophole in the legislation. Ok.

Most people expect their party leaders to set an example.

MM did it by leaving his family in Cork.

MO'N did it by treating the guidelines with contempt.

It's a neat illustration of the difference between the two parties. And why SF still isn't fit to govern.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭bennyl10

How do you know that? Was Martin's niece's trip 'essential'?

SF are an all island party, HOW do you know what had to be discussed or signed off yesterday?

Of all the mealy mouthed stuff to be getting the undergarments in a twist about.

She had no reason to be in be convention centre. She traveled half the country for a photo op and is rightly being called out for it. Rules for. Apply to SF, just further proof, similar to how 24% is a majority under their rules.

Martins niece was in Dublin for work and came across, as allowed by the Covid legislation.

If the situation was reversed we’d hear about it for the next week from the ‘leader of the opposition’. They made a bad judgement call yesterday and are being rightly called for it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Their members take at a maximum, the average industrial wage and give anything over to the party. That’s how poor Paul Murphy was eligible for free legal aid in the Jobstown case.

Would that be like the shinners average industrial wage, before tax of course. :rolleyes:

The whole thing is engineered to perfection by fg

They keep finance so can ruin anything MM trys,
    They handed the two most poisened chalices to FF and they retain the purse strings to keep them poison.

Catherine martin in the jumble pile ministry will almost certainly try ban hare coursing, fox hunting etc.. and FG can not lose rural support over it as its a green issue.

Barry cowen FF will be the target of all the hate from rural ireland when he’s forced to watch the greens and FG defund or actively tax to death rural dwellers.

Then MM gives “the perpetually opressed voice of eileen flynn” a seat in our nations talking shop, already leaving the public questioning his sanity.

FF are bound for a 2011 repeat after this and id say the greens will disband alltogether setting the stage for a FG majority under leo in 5 years time.

leo will be gone.
    If the greens get any of their way then rural FG tds will be getting very edgy.
    Same with rural FF tds.

FF will still be around, hell they survived 2011 even though they had truly fooked the country.

But martin is a different thing.
    Pushing in a brand new TD to a major position, forgetting other long termers, consigning your second in command to chief whip is a recipe for revolt.

He could have quite easily given Calleary a ministry, few could argue and it would have taken the dirty look off the geographical spread of ministers.
    Instead there is no one from West of Clara, bar the newbie from Tralee.

And never forget some ffers are still not happy with coalition with FG.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Ah so use a loophole instead of showing leadership and solidarity with the people of the state down here. Sounds about right for SF alright. In addition in the North people should avoid non essential foreign travel. Her presence in the Convention Centre yesterday was far from essential.

As has been explained to you and others already, she didn't use a loophole, she obviously considered her trip essential, the loophole only comes into it had the guards disagreed with it, as they'd be powerless to prevent her anyway, due to the loophole.

How many more times must this be explained?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The licence fee is great value for the quality of media we receive to be honest. I don't think people realise how good RTÉ is when you compare it to the absolute dross that is available via a SKY subscription, or in countries where all public television is privatised.

I'd be happy to see an increase in the fee. Never has public service broadcasting been more important or necessary.

Lol.

Included in RTEs output we have a completely irrelevant pop music station (that's losing money hand over fist), reams of imported programming and terrible children's programming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

McMurphy wrote: »
    As has been explained to you and others already, she didn't use a loophole, she obviously considered her trip essential, the loophole only comes into it had the guards disagreed with it, as they'd be powerless to prevent her anyway, due to the loophole.

How many more times must this be explained?

They would be powerless to prevent her from traveling because they lost that power a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

SF are an all island party, HOW do you know what had to be discussed or signed off yesterday?

Of all the mealy mouthed stuff to be getting the undergarments in a twist about.

Martin's niece's trip didn't need to be essential. You are allowed travel within your own county under current legislation for any reason and she lives in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,230 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

bennyl10 wrote: »
    She had no reason to be in be convention centre. She traveled half the country for a photo op and is rightly being called out for it. Rules for. Apply to SF, just further proof, similar to how 24% is a majority under their rules.

Martins niece was in Dublin for work and came across, as allowed by the Covid legislation.

If the situation was reversed we’d hear about it for the next week from the ‘leader of the opposition’. They made a bad judgement call yesterday and are being rightly called for it

How do you know, she had no reason?

You are jumping to conclusions here based on nothing but a guess.

Fair game, it's only a Shinner.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Martin's niece's trip didn't need to be essential. You are allowed travel within your own county under current legislation for any reason and she lives in Dublin.

Fair enough, but it doesn't explain all the other people there. Why pick out O'Neill for scrutiny? She is a leader of an All Ireland political party.

Was there Green reps from northern Ireland there?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,313 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

His niece actually works in Dublin. Work is essential no? O'Neill appeared for a photo op and to put a few videos on social media. Very essential alright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

O’Neill and Doherty wouldn’t exactly be intellectuals. Won’t be getting the Mensa membership card anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Fair enough, but it doesn't explain all the other people there. Why pick out O'Neill for scrutiny? She is a leader of an All Ireland political party.

No idea. If they were then they should similarly be called out. Although the Greens are going into government, so they may have been needed that day for actual government business.

Michelle O'Neill is recognisable and people know who she is and that she had no reason to be there. Thats why she is being picked out. I doubt anyone outside of the Green party themselves would recognise a Northern Ireland representative of their party.

His niece actually works in Dublin. Work is essential no? O'Neill appeared for a photo op and to put a few videos on social media. Very essential alright!

So you don't know whether her presence was essential or not, do you?

Sure Michael Martin only appeared for a photo op and to put a few videos up. We can all play the insult game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

I don't know, but if they were at least they had the sense to keep a low profile.
    Perception and context as Mc does say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

O’Neill and Doherty wouldn’t exactly be intellectuals. Won’t be getting the Mensa membership card anytime soon.
    but doherty was smart enough to fillet two senior goverment ministers live on national tv

smurgen wrote: »
    As much as I hated the last government and upset SF didn't get a look in I remain optimistic, hopefully not stupidly optimistic that the big issues get a proper tackling by the new arrangement. If MM and crew can deliver on health and housing I'll never moan about the government again.
    i agree also coveney and donoghue holding on to their portfolios was essential

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Looking at the media stuff yesterday. The vibes seem good. It will be interesting to see will it do as well as the Rainbow coalition back in the day.

Also it will be interesting to see what will happen FF and FG after this possible merger in a few decades? Will leading opposition help SF, and make them grow.?
    Will they get more credibility. or will they drop back?
    Can Labour get any worse after this surely they can only improve?

It is going to be fascinating I always liked coalition governments who can find common consensus - no extremes. I think it makes for better government.

Here is a list of the cabinet here:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/who-is-in-the-new-cabinet-members-in-profile-1.4290698

The big shock to me is that Simon Harris is only 33.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I don't know, but if they were at least they had the sense to keep a low profile.
    Perception and context as Mc does say.

Yeh...she was wearing that big placard that had 'Shinner' written on it, just in case you guys didn't recognise her. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Most people expect their party leaders to set an example.

MM did it by leaving his family in Cork.

MO'N did it by treating the guidelines with contempt.

It's a neat illustration of the difference between the two parties. And why SF still isn't fit to govern.

MM's family are not deputy leaders of a party that is in the Dáil.

Why not complain that the loophole exists by the way? Surely a party that could leave such a loophole in legislation and then be unable to close it isn't fit to govern?

So you don't know whether her presence was essential or not, do you?

Sure Michael Martin only appeared for a photo op and to put a few videos up. We can all play the insult game.

Appearing on a video complaining about some conspiracy is far from essential. Or maybe you think it was essential? And your point about Martin is just very very silly. Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Yeh...she was wearing that big placard that had 'Shinner' written on it, just in case you guys didn't recognise her. :)

She was just behind ML as she was being interviewed I believe for all to see. Hard to miss seeing her.
    I'm not complaining actually, but they left themselves open for it in fairness.

Appearing on a video complaining about some conspiracy is far from essential. And your point about Martin is just very very silly. Well done.

You are just assuming that is the only thing she did.

The contrast with Martin was to show you the silliness you were engaging in. I guess that went over your head like the request to prove that her trip was not essential to the workings of an All Ireland party.
    Just because you guess the answer does not make it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,595 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Edgware wrote: »
    If the people whinging about Josepha Madigan owned the land in question they would quickly realise that it would be a complete waste of their money to use that land for a halting site. The land was public land and would secure a hefty payment to the State if used for development, a certain amount of which could be usedto build new halting sites which travellers could then wreck at their leisure

Yeah lets just call it what it is, she was fighting for voters in her constituency to keep out something they dodn't want in their back yard which is no different to what the Healy Rea's do for their voters yet get mocked by the D4 media for talking about local issues.

The good folks in Dublin Rathdown probably laugh at the Healy Rea's and don't see any similarity but it's just the same.

tigger123 wrote: »
    I live in the suburbs and cycle in and put of work every day. It's the quickest and easiest way to get around Dublin these days. Zero cost too, and is a great way to stay fit.

Am delighted that more resources will go towards making Dublin a cycle friendly city. Public transport pre Covid was choked up.
    but if you were a 60 year old with arthritis and six more years of cycling ahead of you?

You are just assuming that is the only thing she did.

The contrast with Martin was to show you the silliness you were engaging in. I guess that went over your head like the request to prove that her trip was not essential to the workings of an All Ireland party.
    Just because you guess the answer does not make it so.

Her own executive in the North says to avoid non essential foreign travel. Can you tell me what was essential about a social media video complaining about a conspiracy against SF? Amazing that she happened to have essential business in the Convention Centre in Dublin yesterday just at the same time Mary Lou was putting up conspiracy nonsense on social media. Remarkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Her own executive in the North says to avoid non essential foreign travel. Can you tell me what was essential about a social media video complaining about a conspiracy against SF? Amazing that she happened to have essential business in the Convention Centre in Dublin yesterday just at the same time Mary Lou was putting up conspiracy nonsense on social media. Remarkable.

Not foreign travel, one country , Cummings didn't walk on this so your flogging a dead horse at this stage.

Now you are pathetically trying to bait with the 'foreign' travel bit. What a guy/gal!

Have a lie down. Get up, ask yourself...'do I know whether she had essential business to do or not?'
    The answer will still be the same after your calming snooze...you have not a clue.

Now you are pathetically trying to bait with the 'foreign' travel bit. What a guy/gal!

Have a lie down. Get up, ask yourself...'do I know whether she had essential business to do or not?'
    The answer will still be the same after your calming snooze...you have not a clue.

She didn't have essential business unless you consider conspiracy videos on social media to be essential, which most shinners do so I suppose that makes sense now why you're defending her vehemently.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The tweet was from a Labour member and Labour are in full SF opposition mode. While seeming to back the government!

MO’N is MLMD’s vice/deputy that’s her reason for being with her party when MLMD is made Leader of the Opposition.

• Advertisement

She didn't have essential business unless you consider conspiracy videos on social media to be essential, which most shinners do so I suppose that makes sense now why you're defending her vehemently.

I am not defending her. I don't know if her trip was essential or not.

Neither do you. Was making a video all she did? Do you know what else she did? Did SF have a meeting to discuss strategy or policy for the day?

You don't know what happened. Get back to us when you do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement