Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,243 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »

Would love to understand the reasoning behind this. 75% approval rating, unheard of, guaranteed Taoiseach in December 2022, why would he walk away?

Delivered one of the worst ever results for FG in his only election as leader. He's toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Delivered one of the worst ever results for FG in his only election as leader. He's toast.

Dont think Simon would have done any better

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Leo has a 75% satisfaction rating but he's toast. Makes sense.

Leo has a 75% satisfaction rating but he's toast. Makes sense.

For his handling of Covid. The judgement on his handling of the country was 20%

For his handling of Covid. The judgement on his handling of the country was 20%

That's interesting. Would you have a link to that 20% poll?

• Advertisement

That's interesting. Would you have a link to that 20% poll?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Irish_general_election

So nothing at all to do with the latest satisfaction rating which shows Leo on 75% satisfaction.

So nothing at all to do with the latest satisfaction rating which shows Leo on 75% satisfaction.

No.
    I thought we were talking about Leo leading FG into an 'election'. So I had a look at how he did in his last one. He achieved 20%, one of FG's lowest ever outings. He had plenty of good polls during his tenure. He's part of a three way coalition now so I think his star will decline as we get back to normal and NPHET start to fade into the background. You can see in news, other issues are rising to the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    So people are giving out about the lack of women in Junor Ministerial roles...

20% of the roles are now held by women...women make up 22.5% so its fairly proportional
    22.5% of what? Not of the whole population, which might be why people are giving out?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

No.
    I thought we were talking about Leo leading FG into an 'election'. So I had a look at how he did in his last one. He achieved 20%, one of FG's lowest ever outings. He had plenty of good polls during his tenure. He's part of a three way coalition now so I think his star will decline as we get back to normal and NPHET start to fade into the background. You can see in news, other issues are rising to the top.

The world has changed since the start of March, those that cling to the old certainties or things that happened in February don’t get that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

No.

Is that back to normal the SF two fingers to you all way.
    Covid hasn't gone away Francie.
    We have moved on from February's poll now, there's a new Govt.
    SF may well rise, they may well fall as the others too.
    The next one and then the next one, that's politics.
    But the last election has been sorted, the next important one is the next election.

The world has changed since the start of March, those that cling to the old certainties or things that happened in February don’t get that.

Sure has. FG TD's have elected a FF Taoiseach.
    The world's up in a lump.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Someone else isn’t happy with MM:

“Separately, Fianna Fáil's Cork North West TD Michael Moynihan has said he is extremely disappointed that the Taoiseach did not appoint him a junior minister "He has insulted me and my community. I have worked so hard for the party over the last nine years; took a lot of s*** for him. Very, very cross,"

Is that back to normal the SF two fingers to you all way.
    Covid hasn't gone away Francie.
    We have moved on from February's poll now, there's a new Govt.
    SF may well rise, they may well fall as the others too.
    The next one and then the next one, that's politics.
    But the last election has been sorted, the next important one is the next election.

Hey, all I said was that in the only election we have that Leo led FG into, he scored 20%.

He might get 75% the next time, and he might not. My take on it is that he will be replaced or jump knowing the back room boys are going to pick a new leader.

And I never said boo about SF, but no party is owed a vote, so anything might happen there too.

Sure has. FG TD's have elected a FF Taoiseach.
    The world's up in a lump.

FF elected an FG one last time out too.
    Not really much of a lump yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

leahyl wrote: »
    Someone else isn’t happy with MM:

“Separately, Fianna Fáil's Cork North West TD Michael Moynihan has said he is extremely disappointed that the Taoiseach did not appoint him a junior minister "He has insulted me and my community. I have worked so hard for the party over the last nine years; took a lot of s*** for him. Very, very cross,"

Another me me me wanker. So typical of so many in politics. The public interest a distant faded shadow in the background of their own "career"

FF elected an FG one last time out too.
    Not really much of a lump yet.

Not to lead them in a coalition, they didn't.

Why are you trying to diminish what every single pundit and historian has referred to a seismic event in Irish politics? Unless these two parties pull off something pretty special one of them faces a hammering next time out and maybe both of them. Those are the recognised stakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Have to agree with you. Once he steps down for Varadkar in two years, they will go to him in the interests of the party to step aside. And he will.

Would love to understand the reasoning behind this. 75% approval rating, unheard of, guaranteed Taoiseach in December 2022, why would he walk away?

I think that was a covid bounce, based on his lack of empathy with the movie quotes I'd say hes lost that. Also he might stick around for a last hurrah but I think the shine is gone off it for him. Cant see him settling outside being top dog. Same reasoning as MM. Got the ego fed time to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Bowie wrote: »
    I think that was a covid bounce, based on his lack of empathy with the movie quotes I'd say hes lost that. Also he might stick around for a last hurrah but I think the shine is gone off it for him. Cant see him settling outside being top dog. Same reasoning as MM. Got the ego fed time to move on.

Who would you like to see as Taoiseach, dude?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Who would you like to see as Taoiseach, dude?

Not fussed dawg. More interested in what they do while there. I'd be delighted to have MM if he builds social and affordable.
    It's not a team sport horse, it's about what's best for the public. Happy with whichever party puts them first.
    We've got the Sharks and the Jets in now ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Well to me it looks like the greens have been shafted in terms of junior ministers.

Eamon Ryan’s Department gets 0 Ministers of State
    Catherine Martin’s department gets 1 but he’s also the chief whip (has a chief whip always had a secondary role)
    Roderick O’Gorman fairs a bit better with a minister of state for Disabilities

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

Elmo wrote: »
    Well to me it looks like the greens have been shafted in terms of junior ministers.

Catherine Martin’s department gets 1 but he’s also the chief whip (has a chief whip always had a secondary role)

I wouldn't be feeling sorry for the Greens

The greens have agreed that the National Parks and Wildlife Service to come under the remit of the Minister for Housing, Local Government and Heritage.

So it seems Eamonn Ryan is happy enough to put the environment in the hands of the very department that will favour developers and industry.

Only in the job a less than a week and already they're fecking up.

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2020/0701/1150815-green-party-environment-groups/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

22.5% of what? Not of the whole population, which might be why people are giving out?

Of the dail

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Did we always have all these ministers?
    How many Government departments are there?
    We seem to have about 50 ministers.
    I think too many creates confusion...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,313 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Hildegarde Naughton is a Super Junior in that department with Eamon Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,571 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

They have 12 TDs,a chara.

They were not shafted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

So as was pointed out on many radio shows yesterday and the Tonight Show last night. Jobs for the boys club in full swing

During the last financial crash we reduced the numbers of junior ministers, this crowd will tell you country's on its knees so they have more junior ministers so they have to pay out more money. What a ****ing country

So as was pointed out on many radio shows yesterday and the Tonight Show last night. Jobs for the boys club in full swing

During the last financial crash we reduced the numbers of junior ministers, this crowd will tell you country's on its knees so they have more junior ministers so they have to pay out more money. What a ****ing country

A big amount of work to be done and all hands on deck needed.
    The difference in wages for a few extra juniors is miniscule in comparison to what could be generated by having them helping out.
    Genuine non talking point right there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

A big amount of work to be done and all hands on deck needed.
    The difference in wages for a few extra juniors is miniscule in comparison to what could be generated by having them helping out.
    Genuine non talking point right there.

A wage cut across the board might show maybe they are taking this serious, not making up new jobs.

Fine Gael have spent more time having a go at Sinn Féin the last few days than re-assuring the public they can lead us through this.

Schools going back still up in the air, letting ryanair and aer Lingus start flying more planes and routes but then telling people who booked don't go and then say ah sure we have a metting next week hold off till then even though flights from America continue to land (one countries we should def not be flying in or out of)

• Advertisement

A wage cut across the board might show maybe they are taking this serious, not making up new jobs.

Fine Gael have spent more time having a go at Sinn Féin the last few days than re-assuring the public they can lead us through this.

Schools going back still up in the air, letting ryanair and aer Lingus start flying more planes and routes but then telling people who booked don't go and then say ah sure we have a metting next week hold off till then even though flights from America continue to land (one countries we should def not be flying in or out of)

Agree on the latter completely.
    Not much there though to dispel any reason for the economic benefits that having junior ministers.
    As to the school thing, no one is certain about how best to handle school returning yet, this virus is still to be quelled, it's a tough one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement