Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Is there anything that can be done apart from going on about it repeatedly, anonymously online

Another mass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Another mass?

Bit old for fairy tales but willing to try if it might help

• Registered Users Posts: 19,571 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    None of whom are TDs so that is complete whataboutery.
    Dara Murphy brought head in the trough to a whole new level. More relevant to TDs troughing than Flanagan who hasn't been a TD for 6 years.

Three biggest chancers who ever left Ireland, a chara.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Has the same not been said for every Taoiseach going back to Bertie at least? And none of them have ended up in Europe.

Well bertie had a hell of a whiff about him.
    No bank account would remind too many people in Europe of the mafia perhaps.:rolleyes:
    Then there was the cringey cupboard.

Besides I think the yellow suit was the beginning of the end for him.
    They didn't need The Man from Del Monte with the northside brogue.

Cowen had acted like an oaf in Europe and had burned a lot of bridges.
    If they needed a village drunk they could find one somewhere else.

And yes Enda does not come across well in media, that has always been his problem.
    In the grand scheme of things he actually will go down as one of our better leaders, although the likes of the Dubs will never admit it.
    As I said earlier politically he taught the much lauded and media loved Leo a few things.

As for Leo he is a media lovie, has appeared to deal with the Brits and Brexit reasonably well.
    Came across well in Europe, was a very good boy taking all things EU on board.
    And don't forget how offering to go in as doctor to help during covid lockdown is going to play.
    Europeans couldn't care less whether he didn't deal with our housing or health care issues or that he allowed that muppet Flanagan propose commemorating the British forces in War of Independence.

He is going to be another Bruton Mark I.

As for Martin he will be lucky if he can crawl after the disgruntled soldiers of destiny have finished with him.
    Edgware wrote: »
    Can you go through that again?

Yeah I will Pm it all to you, special like. :cool:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    6 years ago.

Better example still would be Doherty whose company went into liquidation in 2013 with debts of €280k - cira €60k to Revenue,€50k to AIB - their own auditors reported proper accounts weren't kept. Vat monies owed were written off.
    https://www.independent.ie/business/small-business/fine-gael-tds-firm-folds-with-debts-of-280000-29021682.html

Doherty herself was on a basic TD salary (€92,672 according to https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/td-salaries-slashed-by-17000-26628389.html ) at the time.

While chief whip there was the matter of the questionable top up of €15,829. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/allowance-paid-to-chief-whip-was-illegal-labour-leader-claims-1.3126893. She did say she was paying that back after getting a letter from Department of Public Expenditure and Reform

By 2017 her pay was €87,258 basic plus €70,282 = €157,540.

By 2020 it was €96,189 + €79,510 salaried allowance = €175,699 according to https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/members/salaries-and-allowances/salaries/

She lost her seat but continued to be paid €1,529.03 a week (https://extra.ie/2020/05/17/news/politics/taxpayers-ghost-ministers-lost-seats) until new govt formed ( I think it's fair she was paid - she was genuinely doing the job) however she also received a 'termination payment' of approx €15,000 plus an additional pay of between €5,600 and €6,500 . So rounding down she got €20k for being fired by the electorate. https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/former-tds-who-lost-or-gave-up-seats-are-paid-586k-991404.html

She is now leader of the very Seanad she lead the campaign to abolish and on a salary of €68,111 plus €20,177 = €88,288 - I haven't even included the various 'expenses' she (and every other TD/Senator) can claim and have claimed.
    The info is here if you want to go through it https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/8b2180-ministers-expenses/

Now that is a relevant trough.

Not an independent who was never within a sniff of governing and was elected an MEP 6 bloody years ago.

Wow I did not know a lot of that. The FG TDs really went to town over the last few years when they knew FF couldn't say too much.

When they weren't robbing the electorate they were tying to rip off businesses with dodgy insurance claims (e.g. Farrell and Bailey). Farrell was successful in his attempt and somehow got re-elected. Some country.
    The case was heard before Judge Michael Coghlan who said there were "slightly unusual" aspects to it, including the fact a claim for damages to his car was dropped. The judge said: "There is little or no notation to back up a claim of significant whiplash." During proceedings, a photograph was shown of Mr Farrell at the top of a ladder with his hands on an election poster, taken four months after the accident. Mr Farrell said the photo was staged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Wow I did not know a lot of that. The FG TDs really went to town over the last few years when they knew FF couldn't say too much.

When they weren't robbing the electorate they were tying to rip off businesses with dodgy insurance claims (e.g. Farrell and Bailey). Farrell was successful in his attempt and somehow got re-elected. Some country.

Yeah. Someone should get €50,000 worth of print cartridges and print off these outrageous scandals.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,248 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Great to see the 'pump' ain't broke anyway. :)

https://twitter.com/fionnansheahan/status/1278985904019968000

• Registered Users Posts: 23,770 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Isn't Sheahan's partner a Fianna Fáilure?

They invented the parish pump!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

https://twitter.com/fionnansheahan/status/1278985904019968000

Gotta keep up with the Healy Raes. Kerry is another planet when it comes to local politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

This craic is going to continue until we change the political system to a list based one or something like that. It is in a ministers interest to take care of their own constituency as they are the ones who will be voting for them the next time.

If you have a Minister for Transport from Sligo, who gets a Dublin underground built to service several million people, but doesn't get the local bypass over the line, the locals down the country are going to make him feel the pain next time out. The TDs know it, the voters know it and it's a symptom of a badly designed system where local heroes are voted in for their local profile and local work but are then supposed to forget their local roots and govern for all the country.

• Advertisement

Yeah. Someone should get €50,000 worth of print cartridges and print off these outrageous scandals.

I think Aengus Ó Snodaigh is on the case!

Did they ever get that new printer into the Dail?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,248 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

They invented the parish pump!

So is Norma Foley.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

She's not with Fionnan or FF any more...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

And SF's closing of ranks is just one of the reasons I won't vote for them. The whole thing just struck me as more of the same.

IF they had said 'look, technically he was entitled (:P) but as a gesture we as a party will pay for xxxx (even 50%) of the cost of the cartridges' then I, personally, would have looked more fondly on them.
    Still won't vote for them for other policy reasons.

Gotta keep up with the Healy Raes. Kerry is another planet when it comes to local politics.

And the Shinners who drove a coach and four through their own regulations at a recent funeral, it’s been reported.

Now Ms Foster wants the same treatment for the Orange side who will be on the roads soon, it’s reported.

Should be good enough for two or three months of backwards and forwards fcukkery so beloved by the camp followers of both sets of actors.

If the inputs on these respected fora are anything to go by anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Now Ms Foster wants the same treatment for the Orange side who will be on the roads soon, it’s reported.

12th July- isn't it?
    Of course she wants a quid-pro-quo.......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,607 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Foley-Raes

And the Shinners who drove a coach and four through their own regulations at a recent funeral, it’s been reported.

Should be good enough for two or three months of backwards and forwards fcukkery so beloved by the camp followers of both sets of actors.

I am so sick hearing about that funeral. The North is still such a basket case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Show's her up. Can hardly claim outrage based on safety if she's going to play tit for tat.

I am so sick hearing about that funeral. The North is still such a basket case.

The south too.

Newly formed government. Posts being given out. Seante drawing from a hat. National crises, Covid, Brexit...dig at the shinners, (free pass for the Garda doing the same thing).

MON apology actually knocked a story about the reported number of Covid deaths off the top spot on RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Why couldn't Martin and Varadkar share an Aide De Camp?

Why does Varadkar need one? Is he planning on going to war or something?

Bowie wrote: »
    The south too.

Newly formed government. Posts being given out. Seante drawing from a hat. National crises, Covid, Brexit...dig at the shinners, (free pass for the Garda doing the same thing).

MON apology actually knocked a story about the reported number of Covid deaths off the top spot on RTE.

Rubbish, comparing the murder of a Garda in service to another funeral.

Comparing the actions of a disfunctional state to a State where things are done properly, where the leaders follow advised precautions, where the leaders are answerable to the electorate, not to a group of shadowy figures lurking in the background.

Total rubbish, a chara, but you know that, just had to try to defend the indefensible.

Rubbish, comparing the murder of a Garda in service to another funeral.

Comparing the actions of a disfunctional state to a State where things are done properly, where the leaders follow advised precautions, where the leaders are answerable to the electorate, not to a group of shadowy figures lurking in the background.

Total rubbish, a chara, but you know that, just had to try to defend the indefensible.

Didn't defend it once lad.
    Do you think the virus differentiates based on politics? Are we basing right to mourn or attend a funeral based on other peoples opinion of the deceased now?

SF are a party you can vote for should you choose to. Shadowy my hole Bren. Relax yourself and breath in the hypocrisy and waste of public attention. Took your politicians refusing seats out of the papers any way. Took a report on the wrong numbers of covid deaths being released off the top spot. Handy that. 70,000 people signing up for Ireland's Call and only 111 getting contacted, to be passed to a private recruitment agency...not a dicky bird.
    There's your rubbish Bren, that fact it made a headline in the first place.

Do you think the virus differentiates based on politics? Are we basing right to mourn or attend a funeral based on other peoples opinion of the deceased now?

SF are a party you can vote for should you choose to. Shadowy my hole Bren. Relax yourself and breath in the hypocrisy and waste of public attention. Took your politicians refusing seats out of the papers any way. Took a report on the wrong numbers of covid deaths being released off the top spot. Handy that. 70,000 people signing up for Ireland's Call and only 111 getting contacted, to be passed to a private recruitment agency...not a dicky bird.
    There's your rubbish Bren, that fact it made a headline in the first place.

I suppose we can’t expect a crowd who mowed down two Gardaí on duty to much respect for the law.

Pay more attention to alleged and unproven technical matters than cold blooded murder of serving officers.

Kind of sums that crowd up,a chara.

I suppose we can’t expect a crowd who mowed down two Gardaí on duty to much respect for the law.

Pay more attention to alleged and unproven technical matters than cold blooded murder of serving officers.

Kind of sums that crowd up,a chara.

I take it Callinan wasn't invited so.
    No Bren, story was about two funerals. One was a Garda. They didn't social distance.
    The other was a shinner, they didn't social distance.
    One was used for buckets of pretend outrage to distract. The other wasn't. That it really. Simples.
    Shows up the priorities of some politicians and news outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

That must be a shock to those people who were saying it was a non-story and she had nothing to apologise for a few days ago. It isn’t going away, is it?

blanch152 wrote: »
    That must be a shock to those people who were saying it was a non-story and she had nothing to apologise for a few days ago. It isn’t going away, is it?

I wouldn't know. She was right to apologise and did fair play.
    You and others dragging it out will likely have the same affect all the 'RA tales did in the run up to the election ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Show's her up. Can hardly claim outrage based on safety if she's going to play tit for tat.

Let me get this straight.

If, and it’s a big if, because we have no evidence it will happen, so if Foster copies Sinn Fein and breaks social distancing rules, this shows Foster up, but Sinn Fein are still entitled to a hall pass. Do I understand you correctly?

Just trying to get this straight in my head.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Its a sad state of affairs with everything going on that its still headline news.

Like everything, i.e Cervical Scandal, it will just go away eventually

• Advertisement

Let me get this straight.

If, and it’s a big if, because we have no evidence it will happen, so if Foster copies Sinn Fein and breaks social distancing rules, this shows Foster up, but Sinn Fein are still entitled to a hall pass. Do I understand you correctly?

Just trying to get this straight in my head.

No. In fact you couldn't be more wrong.

If Foster is complaining the shinners were irresponsible for not social distancing, (which I agree they were and you know this) and then uses that to justify having an orange march, it means she never had an issue based on public safety.
    You really have to get off this 'one cancels the other out' philosophy. That's all you Blanch.
    Both the garda and SF were wrong not to socially distance. One doesn't excuse the other.
    It's like Varadkar using quotes from Lord of the Rings and Mean Girls, for fun, for an inside joke, disrespecting those who died during Covid isn't cancelled out by FG councillor O'Leary admiring the fascist blueshirts and comparing them to FG of today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement