Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

Something else historical and of note...boards.ie FGers defending the antics of FF.
    Strap yourself in folks. :)

I repeat. We’ve got a government. Get over it. Onwards and upwards.

For the record, I gave Alan Kelly my No 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,248 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I repeat. We’ve got a government. Get over it. Onwards and upwards.

For the record, I gave Alan Kelly my No 1.

We have and I am 'over it'...this is one of the outcomes I wanted. Why...well, the first week will tell you why.

After trying to implode his party Martin ends the week having to say that he didn't know of a senior minister's brush with the law on a drink-driving charge.

After the first week, I tells you! And the FG's and Greens have to stand behind and avert their eyes and ears. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Robson99

We have and I am 'over it'...this is one of the outcomes I wanted. Why...well, the first week will tell you why.

After trying to implode his party Martin ends the week having to say that he didn't know of a senior minister's brush with the law on a drink-driving charge.

After the first week, I tells you! And the FG's and Greens have to stand behind and avert their eyes and ears. :)

Don't think Cowan was responsible for anyone's death. Have Ferris and Ellis broken the law ?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,248 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Robson99 wrote: »
    Don't think Cowan was responsible for anyone's death. Have Ferris and Ellis broken the law ?

Is that how we defend drink driving now? Point at those involved in a conflict/war?

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Robson99

Is that how we defend drink driving now? Point at those involved in a conflict/war?

Really?
    Terrorists

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭gifted

Is that how we defend drink driving now? Point at those terrorists involved in a conflict/war?

Really?

Fixed your post there lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Revealed: Cabinet minister's drink-driving ban https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/revealed-cabinet-ministers-drink-driving-ban-39338911.html do you get a 3 month ban if you havn't already got points on your license?

I see that it didn't take the new owners of the indo to drop to Daily Muck style journalism.

I'm no fan of Cowen, in my eyes he's a gobsh1te and way below the intellect of his brother.

But this was years ago, a 3 month ban would suggest it was under the old limit and not something that a harsh media double punishment be warranted

Sad that some people pay to read the sh1te written in the indo

The dogs on the street knew about Barry Cowens ban, so I’m pretty sure that his party leader did.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Who was doing this?

'Crossing a border to go to a private funeral of a convicted terrorist'?

I'm sure I heard MLMD say she crossed the border to go to the funeral of a family friend and man her children loved as well as a seminal and important member of the party she leads.

Your politicisation of that is getting mighty nauseating.

For someone that doesn't support SF, you go out to bat for them an awful lot.

The dogs on the street knew about Barry Cowens ban, so I’m pretty sure that his party leader did.

I never heard about it but to be fair I never realised Jim o callaghan was miriams brother until recently.....it's a pity a thread can't be started highlighting information like that...confirmed info of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,988 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Not terribly inspiring so far. Seems FF are consumed with internal strife and its striking the bitterness being displayed. Leo looking terribly relaxed having passed the buck (sorry mantle) and Simon Harris looked almost irrelevant went interviewed about some nonsense at trinity college yesterday.

Perhaps it just me but it seems nothing is happening with this government of consequence, Eamonn Ryan seems to have gone into hiding and the only appearance of note from Stephen donnelly was when he wished Tony Houlihan well. We did hear some news from smug Simon Coveney today, seems he's put out at loosing his state car and garda driver. God bless him, seems not that long ago when he championed the removal of such perks.

Two saving graces however, Shane Ross gone although won't be long before he's on the book promotion circuit and finally, Relieved Heather Humphries has nothing to say (what a droll accent), albeit I'm sure the 430k getting the PUP might like a little more clarity.

This is a train wreck waiting to happen and the wheels already coming off, the only person who seems happy is leo, patiently waiting in the long grass, he's also bizzarely got a new military aide du camp, WTF is that all about.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Who was doing this?

'Crossing a border to go to a private funeral of a convicted terrorist'?

I'm sure I heard MLMD say she crossed the border to go to the funeral of a family friend and man her children loved as well as a seminal and important member of the party she leads.

Your politicisation of that is getting mighty nauseating.

????????? Stop playacting children and sit down by the fire. Uncle Bobby has a hilarious story about the time he went out to cripple a 16 year old for stealing a car but the gun jammed and he had to borrow a baseball bat from the Loyalists who were beating someone in the next street . Ho ho ho more pop corn Mary Lou???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

It's amazing how fast the window of discussion on the new government, has narrowed into an intense focus on inconsequential things - that are of zero threat to the government continuing, but are blown up into supposed make-or-break controversies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

What a an absolutely weird post, what's this - caught doing breaking the law so compare it with someone else breaking it?

Next time I'm pulled over by the guards for doing 15km over the limit, I'll just tell the Garda sure at least I'm not Barry Cowen?

Fcukin hell. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Are Ferris and Ellis in government?
    Did I miss something??? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,571 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Truthvader wrote: »
    ????????? Stop playacting children and sit down by the fire. Uncle Bobby has a hilarious story about the time he went out to cripple a 16 year old for stealing a car but the gun jammed and he had to borrow a baseball bat from the Loyalists who were beating someone in the next street . Ho ho ho more pop corn Mary Lou???

You would think this guy was an avuncular lovely lad whose only task in life was to make everyone happy look after the needy in his community......

These contributors here seem to think they can sell that image.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,485 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Cowen has to go.

Drink driving is just absolutely not on.

He made a clear and conscious decision to ingest alcohol and then get behind the wheel..

Martin needs to show strong leadership here

• Registered Users Posts: 19,571 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Are Ferris and Ellis in government?
    Did I miss something??? :eek:

They think they should be.

They never will.

I hope you aren't implying our Taoiseach is liar.

This popped up on my notifications a few minutes ago
    The Taoiseach has said he is disappointed that he only found out yesterday about a driving ban served by Minister for Agriculture Barry Cowen four years ago.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2020/0704/1151331-micheal-martin-barry-cowen/

They think they should be.

They never will.

I hope not in Ferris' case as his vocal support for so-called 'rural pursuits' are one of the reasons SF are on my No Vote list.

But if would be foolish to think SF will never be in govt.

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    Cowen has to go.

He made a clear and conscious decision to ingest alcohol and then get behind the wheel..

Cowen won't go, Martin won't force him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Cowen has to go.

Should the bould Roderic be shown the door over at the Ministry for Kids as well?

Seems the press and the opposition won't touch that story for some reason :confused:

Cowen has to go.

The case didn’t even go to court. He accepted his punishment. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

“ The Fianna Fáil TD was on his way home from the All-Ireland football final. He had two drinks before the game and something to eat after it.

Mr Cowen was breath-tested on the spot, where alcohol was detected. He was again tested at a Garda station.

He was found to be over the limit.

Mr Cowen was punished with a fixed charge penalty notice, a €200 fine and he was disqualified from driving for three months.

The case did not go to court as the amount of alcohol in his system did not reach the level required for a prosecution.

Confirming his drink-driving disqualification, the Agriculture Minister told Independent.ie of his "shame".

"I am profoundly sorry for having made that mistake. I am deeply apologetic to all those close to me and to my colleagues, for this appalling lapse of judgement," he said.

The incident occurred on the night of September 18, 2016, just hours after All-Ireland football final between Dublin and Mayo was played that day.”

• Registered Users Posts: 56,485 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The case didn’t even go to court. He accepted his punishment. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

“ The Fianna Fáil TD was on his way home from the All-Ireland football final. He had two drinks before the game and something to eat after it.

Mr Cowen was breath-tested on the spot, where alcohol was detected. He was again tested at a Garda station.

He was found to be over the limit.

Mr Cowen was punished with a fixed charge penalty notice, a €200 fine and he was disqualified from driving for three months.

The case did not go to court as the amount of alcohol in his system did not reach the level required for a prosecution.

Confirming his drink-driving disqualification, the Agriculture Minister told Independent.ie of his "shame".

"I am profoundly sorry for having made that mistake. I am deeply apologetic to all those close to me and to my colleagues, for this appalling lapse of judgement," he said.

The incident occurred on the night of September 18, 2016, just hours after All-Ireland football final between Dublin and Mayo was played that day.”

Yeh. I know all this.

He chose to get behind the wheel of a car after having ingested alcohol...

End of. He should be removed..

He is not some average joe. He, and others like him absolutely have to be held to higher standards..

How could anyone have trust in someone who chooses to drink and drive..

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

gifted wrote: »
    Cowen won't go, Martin won't force him.

Think this will blow over. Guess the Indo knew about this a long time ago, but no better time to throw it out there than to celebrate the passing for the first week for FF being back at the helm.

If that's what's a week's like for Micheal Martin, the poor man will be on the sauce by Christmas. My FF friends tell me that this has been brewing for the last 2 years with noises from many quarters wanting to ditch the previous agreement with FG. If you'd be critical of that and now once your party got the keys to the kingdom (well, part of them) you'd probably be mighty fed up if you or your area hasn't landed one of the top jobs.

2 "drinks" before an all Ireland match, and then had "something to eat" after the game, yet he still showed up as being over the limit?

Carefully crafted words I reckon.

I think it's safe to assume that the two drinks weren't two bottles of bud, and the something to eat wasn't a full 3 course meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭major interest

The optics of Cowen having a ministry over Calleary looking even more questionable now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Darc19 wrote: »
    I see that it didn't take the new owners of the indo to drop to Daily Muck style journalism.

I'm no fan of Cowen, in my eyes he's a gobsh1te and way below the intellect of his brother.

But this was years ago, a 3 month ban would suggest it was under the old limit and not something that a harsh media double punishment be warranted

Sad that some people pay to read the sh1te written in the indo

Compare it to Clare Daly. She was all over the papers for having been stopped. Then we got fine details on her court appearance etc.
    Odd nobody knew about Cowen. Odd it's coming out now. Some journo must have tripped over an old court document :rolleyes:

Bowie wrote: »
    Compare it to Clare Daly. She was all over the papers for having been stopped. Then we got fine details on her court appearance etc.
    Odd nobody knew about Cowen. Odd it's coming out now. Some journo must have tripped over an old court document :rolleyes:

And Daly wasn't even guilty.

Arrested, handcuffed, it was splashed all over the news. Trial by press.
    And in the end
    The official results of a urine sample test has shown 45 milligrammes per 100 millilitres of urine, which is 33 per cent below the allowable limit of 67 milligrammes.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/clare-daly-drink-driving-787997-Feb2013/

• Advertisement

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    And Daly wasn't even guilty.

She wasn't even charged.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement