Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Stephen Donnelly

• Registered Users Posts: 19,575 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Lot of anger building up here, good idea to hit the cot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

While we are thrashing FFG...I remember a time when Claire Daly was watched by Gardaí, handcuffed, put into a Garda car, driven 300m to a station and then thrown in a cell. The story was immediately leaked. When she passed the test and was released she was still told by a Garda to sober up.

To be honest I did not take much notice. I was a solid FG voter at the time and then I read this story....
    A GARDA report filed on the incident in which Alan Shatter was stopped at a drink-drive checkpoint has gone missing
    She was also asked by the then Fine Gael frontbench spokesman: "Don't you know who I am?"
    The garda did not know him, to which he said: "I am Alan Shatter," and explained that he was coming from the Dail.
    The officer said words to the effect: "Seeing as you're here now, you may as well give a breath sample."
    Mr Shatter took the breathalyser bag and blew a quick puff, which was not sufficient to inflate the device.
    The garda asked him to do it again.
    He is said to have again provided a quick puff, which was equally insufficient to inflate the device.
    The garda told him that he hadn't done it properly and Mr Shatter is alleged to have replied: "Check your law book, it's in the Constitution, you cannot stop me, I am going."
    The female garda prepared a report soon after the checkpoint was lifted and sent it to her superiors.
    But the report cannot now be accounted for and is thought to be missing.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/dont-you-know-who-i-am-what-shatter-said-to-garda-29300483.html

This incident and several others convinced me that FG were just as bad as FF and did not deserve by vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Bowie wrote: »
    Hang on there horse. Its regarding the press coverage and lack there of.
    F*** all to do with supporting or attacking Daly or Cowen.
    Are you not curious as to why they decided to run Cowen's story now? Same query as why they went to town on Daly.

The media will always want click bait. Cowens advantage was he did not prevaricate and try to avoid the main breathalyzer in the station and wait a couple of hours and took his on the spot option of €200+3 months ban. So no fuss, no court, no reports.

Problem is Clara is a small town and he's got many that don't like him and had this story up their sleeves waiting.

But if it was 2013 when daly was stopped he would have passed the roadside test and gone on his way.

Daly prevaricated and played the time game and that and her attitude pissed off a couple of gardai who called a couple of contacts (getting a doc at 2am in the morning is not easy and can take 2-3 hours - enough time for someone not too far over the limit to be well under)

The gardai shouldn't have done that, but daly puts on a squeaky clean image yet played the system just like every one else did and which she was mouthing off on.

Anyway, seems cowen is now a non story as people realize it seems that he was under the normal limit, but because he did not have a full license (fool) the very low 20mg limit applied

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Darc19 wrote: »

Anyway, seems cowen is now a non story as people realize it seems that he was under the normal limit, but because he did not have a full license (fool) the very low 20mg limit applied

Cowen's story is really a digging the hole a bit deaper only thankfully Irish reporters seem to be unable to ask questions.

He says he had 2 pints before a meal, what are we saying an hour for the meal assuming he stopped drinking before the meal, then he says he heads to a football match, it being GAA that would be about 90mins including half time and the normal shaking of hands, which could easily go on long then the match (you have to get reelected you know).

Then he gets in his car and is stopped by the guards on a provisional licence that's almost 2 and half hours to 3 hours after he'd had those pints!!!

Sounds to me he should just apologise but perhaps my timeline of events is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

The media will always want click bait. Cowens advantage was he did not prevaricate and try to avoid the main breathalyzer in the station and wait a couple of hours and took his on the spot option of €200+3 months ban. So no fuss, no court, no reports.

Problem is Clara is a small town and he's got many that don't like him and had this story up their sleeves waiting.

But if it was 2013 when daly was stopped he would have passed the roadside test and gone on his way.

Daly prevaricated and played the time game and that and her attitude pissed off a couple of gardai who called a couple of contacts (getting a doc at 2am in the morning is not easy and can take 2-3 hours - enough time for someone not too far over the limit to be well under)

The gardai shouldn't have done that, but daly puts on a squeaky clean image yet played the system just like every one else did and which she was mouthing off on.

So you ignored or didn't understand my post.
    I'm more interested in why Cowens drink driving was buried until now and why Daly got the full treatment.
    I've no interest in playing Top Trumps. These are separate people they don't cancel each other out.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Bowie wrote: »
    So you ignored or didn't understand my post.
    I'm more interested in why Cowens drink driving was buried until now and why Daly got the full treatment.
    I've no interest in playing Top Trumps. These are separate people they don't cancel each other out.

One rule for them and another for the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Elmo wrote: »
    Cowen's story is really a digging the hole a bit deaper only thankfully Irish reporters seem to be unable to ask questions.

He says he had 2 pints before a meal, what are we saying an hour for the meal assuming he stopped drinking before the meal, then he says he heads to a football match, it being GAA that would be about 90mins including half time and the normal shaking of hands, which could easily go on long then the match (you have to get reelected you know).

Then he gets in his car and is stopped by the guards on a provisional licence that's almost 2 and half hours to 3 hours after he'd had those pints!!!

Sounds to me he should just apologise but perhaps my timeline of events is wrong.

His reading (as per irish times) was under 35mg which is under a pint.

His error was being an eejit for still having a provisional license.

Don't like his style, reminds me of old style ff. But this was always a non story just like the SF funeral story (and I'm certainly not a SF voter)

Don't like his style, reminds me of old style ff. But this was always a non story just like the SF funeral story (and I'm certainly not a SF voter)

The issues here are his judgement, is Michael telling another (what is it Morrt calls it?) a mistruth or lie, and why it is only being reported now.
    Here's him and Michael wandering about the Ploughing two days after...never occurred to him to say it to his leader? What does that say about his trustworthiness?

https://twitter.com/ActingTheGom/status/1279467533771386881

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

I don't think it's too hard to fail a breathalyzer these days and with all the recent changes to the limit it's probably hard to tell exactly what the limit is. If he was on a provisional license does that mean he had only recently started driving? Maybe shouldn't be having any pints if that's the case.

Anyway, I'm more interested in how he manage to keep it quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

Barry, - in the Dept.of Agriculture, has just drawn down:- Euro 1.5 Billion in reps scheme payments to - Farmers, [already wealthy?].
    And Euro 50 million in Beef scheme payments.

F.F. are: Instantly - 'Locking-in Wealth'; - to the already Wealthy.

and most likely now they will do same for their builders. [who then will own the Investment Properties, that deh poor will have to live in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Barry, - in the Dept.of Agriculture, has just drawn down:- Euro 1.5 Billion in reps scheme payments to - Farmers, [already wealthy?].
    And Euro 50 million in Beef scheme payments.

F.F. are: Instantly - 'Locking-in Wealth'; - to the already Wealthy.

and most likely now they will do same for their builders. [who then will own the Investment Properties, that deh poor will have to live in.

We have that with FG. I am hoping FF will at least build state owned social housing. It is my only hope for any good out of this. Not all welfare Ninjas, working tax paying people need a dig out too.
    Sick paying tax to fill private pockets with leases and rents.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

@Bowie. yep. .... but, what they previously built - they then sold off.
    and so, very few housing naturally returning to the Councils?

they may build soulless housing, to ensure people will not buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

What man his age only has a provisional licence, seems odd?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,135 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

nc6000 wrote: »
    I don't think it's too hard to fail a breathalyzer these days and with all the recent changes to the limit it's probably hard to tell exactly what the limit is. If he was on a provisional license does that mean he had only recently started driving? Maybe shouldn't be having any pints if that's the case.

Anyway, I'm more interested in how he manage to keep it quiet.

If only he had some kind of role in the legislative process that would have helped him to stay abreast of such changes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Hard ól first week for Michael et Al in FF.
    SF made boloxs of themselves, or maybe showed how big of boloxs they really are all the time.
    So in looking back, a bad week for new Govt and most effective opposition ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,575 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Shinnerbots in full flow this week.

A lad couldn’t sneeze into his hand without the implants in the media and social media making sure it got reported.

And it’s only starting………………

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

https://twitter.com/colettebrowne/status/1279363470006325249

It's fairly reminiscent of Putin's time when "he wasn't in charge"

I keep saying it. I said it most recently when Leo went on a rant about 'photo ops and handing out food parcels' and social media was almost instantly awash with imagery of his own party members doing the exact same thing - if you are going to get up on high horses, check first to see that your own bib is clean.
    Billy Kelleher, a Fianna Fail MEP, attended the election of Micheál Martin in the Convention Centre Dublin last weekend without self-isolating for 14 days after his return from Brussels.

Kelleher, who has been travelling to Brussels since the European parliament reopened last month, said he had availed of testing prior to flying home to Ireland. His attendance at the event was, however, in breach of HSE guidelines on self-isolating following travel.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/mep-billy-kelleher-skips-quarantine-after-jetting-in-for-micheal-martin-election-nd3z2wvpf?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR00WNrwU4mrdqsFA1WnVbGYusVZDlxi2RYlUcCaFfKUgJryl5YGRHZcGaQ#Echobox=1593937029

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

McMurphy wrote: »

Jesus this is huge. Are we going to have to close down the army over this expense? No doubt this is a conspiracy between Goldman Sachs and the secret Blueshirt cabal controlling FG to reintroduce water charges to pay for it. Only lovely Mary Lou can save us now

• Advertisement

I keep saying it. I said it most recently when Leo went on a rant about 'photo ops and handing out food parcels' and social media was almost instantly awash with imagery of his own party members doing the exact same thing - if you are going to get up on high horses, check first to see that your own bib is clean.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/mep-billy-kelleher-skips-quarantine-after-jetting-in-for-micheal-martin-election-nd3z2wvpf?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR00WNrwU4mrdqsFA1WnVbGYusVZDlxi2RYlUcCaFfKUgJryl5YGRHZcGaQ#Echobox=1593937029

Another who thinks, he's above reproach.
    Of course he is as wrong as the thickos who breached the rules in the North nó question.
    Trotted out as an example by your good self while you brazen the shinner line on their big day in the sun in typical hypocritical fashion.

Truthvader wrote: »
    Jesus this is huge. Are we going to have to close down the army over this expense? No doubt this is a conspiracy between Goldman Sachs and the secret Blueshirt cabal controlling FG to reintroduce water charges to pay for it. Only lovely Mary Lou can save us now

Marylous aide de camp is provided free of charge, to the state though. :D

Another who thinks, he's above reproach.
    Of course he is as wrong as the thickos who breached the rules in the North nó question.
    Trotted out as an example by your good self while you brazen the shinner line on their big day in the sun in typical hypocritical fashion.

Brazen what 'line'?

Is this where my post history gets reinvented again Bish?

I criticised SF and the event in my first post on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

McMurphy wrote: »

That’s a pretty dumb comparison to make, Murph. Maybe take the day off and spend it with the family instead of spending it on Twitter.

In fairness Mary Lou only buried her last " aide de camp" last week. But Pearse McAuley or Jonathan Dowdall should be out of prison any day to apply for the role. In the meantime Slab will have to send up another "committed republican" to watch over her (subjectively and objectively)

Marylous aide de camp is provided free of charge, to the state though. :D[/

In fairness Mary Lou only buried her last " aide de camp" last week. But Pearse McAuley or Jonathan Dowdall should be out of prison any day to apply for the role. In the meantime Slab will have to send up another "committed republican" to watch over her (subjectively and objectively)

Brazen what 'line'?

Is this where my post history gets reinvented again Bish?

I criticised SF and the event in my first post on the subject.

But trotted out every other breach you could find as deflection.

But trotted out every other breach you could find as deflection.

As a comparison and fairly spot on indication of the hypocrisy going on about it all.

Are we not allowed to do that? Didn't you just do it yourself about the aide de camp story?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

That’s a pretty dumb comparison to make, Murph. Maybe take the day off and spend it with the family instead of spending it on Twitter.

Family in Stradbally county Waterford at the holiday home for the week John, just me, two dogs and a goat in the field across the road for a few days.

Might get dressed before 1500, might not, there's a boxset here I might get stuck into, and some leftover Indian from last night in the microwave I'm debating whether to have for brunch.

You're not averse to posting the odd twitter link yourself John, got laughed out of it yesterday evening for doing so if my memory isn't deceiving me.

• Advertisement

As a comparison and fairly spot on indication of the hypocrisy going on about it all.

Are we not allowed to do that? Didn't you just do it yourself about the aide de camp story?

Like your own parody of a paramilitary funeral tother day, with a big grin.
    So you admit SF political leaders were completely wrong the other day and should have stayed away from Storeys funeral or at least not turn it into the circus it became?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement