Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

It most certainly is not meaningless.

In the current context, it is. Plus it would exacerbate an economic crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

In a united Ireland the DUP would sit in the Dail. There's always been O.O. lodges north and south.

Unionist parties would have considerable influence.

The DUP could well hold the balance of power in a new Dail. Put it this way, in the Irish PRSTV system they would return about 20 seats.

markodaly wrote: »
    The DUP could well hold the balance of power in a new Dail. Put it this way, in the Irish PRSTV system they would return about 20 seats.

Can you imagine Edwin Poots campaigning to become a TD? Or his party?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Maybe. There are lots of things we thought we would never see. Thats politics.

Maybe. There are lots of things we thought we would never see. Thats politics.

Maybe. Can't see it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,257 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Leo is 'satisfied' that Cowen can stay. He has served his sentence and all should be forgotten.

Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,576 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Leo is 'satisfied' that Cowen can stay. He has served his sentence and all should be forgotten.

Interesting.

Mary Lou happy with the Storey ‘funeral’ to a non existent graveyard and all should be forgotten.

Very interesting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Mary Lou happy with the Storey ‘funeral’ to a non existent graveyard and all should be forgotten.

Very interesting.

Nothing got to do with Cowan, Typical reply though, but but Sinn Fein

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Why would Charlie come out and say this, in light of the HH scandal? Does he not realise that he's simultaneously condemning what she did?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/former-justice-minister-criticises-fianna-fail-td-for-writing-letter-to-judge-on-behalf-of-three-brothers-39351331.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

In the current context, it is. Plus it would exacerbate an economic crisis.

No

Well, that's up to them. If they want to stick their fingers in their ears in the event of a UI and not engage with the governing of the nation, then who are we to stop them exercising their democratic right. It'll remain a free country.

• Advertisement

No

Well, that's up to them. If they want to stick their fingers in their ears in the event of a UI and not engage with the governing of the nation, then who are we to stop them exercising their democratic right. It'll remain a free country.

He heh ... you are one innocent idealist, I’ll have to give you that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Can I have his all Ireland tickets?

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Why would Charlie come out and say this, in light of the HH scandal? Does he not realise that he's simultaneously condemning what she did?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/former-justice-minister-criticises-fianna-fail-td-for-writing-letter-to-judge-on-behalf-of-three-brothers-39351331.html

I can see a ****storm incoming. :) Dear god...not even 10 days in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Very interesting.

I'd hopes when you were critical of the bowsies with bruised egos turning down jobs in the new government, but alas off topic whataboutery...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

You say that there's no indication of a border poll in NI for the foreseeable, but I would disagree that assertion. Northern Ireland are on the brink of a 'deep and prolonged economic downturn' and they are also due to be ripped from the EU, despite voting to remain. The outlook in NI for the next decade seems bleak to say the least.

Why would anyone other than a loyalist vote against a united Ireland if it meant that they'd have a better chance of prosperity for the next decade?

The outcome of the 2021 census in NI will be very interesting indeed.

https://www.irishnews.com/business/2020/06/17/news/northern-ireland-faces-a-deep-and-prolonged-economic-downturn--1977017/

The very running of a border poll is in the grace of the SOS for NI, and there is zero chance of the current UK govt allowing one, particularly with the issues they are facing up in Scotland.

Also, in reference to other points, Unionists in the North can safely refuse to engage with the Irish govt seeing as they are aware of the fact that NI remains part of the UK and will remain part of the UK for the foreseeable and there is A)very little republicans in the North and B)nothing we can do about it. I think it ideological stupidity, but they are clearly getting away with it. NI has had a worse economy than Ireland for decades at this point - even if Brexit/Covid/whatever is enough to shift the dial the idea it would happen in the time period of this coalition is absurd.

Edgware wrote: »
    Can I have his all Ireland tickets?

Get in contact now. There'll be a queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I love the way these letters are never character references or an attempt to influence the court's decision.

Why write them then?
    Is there a section in trials where local worthies can be 'just saying like...'?

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I love the way these letters are never character references or an attempt to influence the court's decision.

Why write them then?

Ceann Comhairle had the spotlight taken off his letter on behalf of an abuser by the Covid crisis. I can see that coming back too.

I think Flanagan is off the reservation. I doubt he ran this concern by anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭davehey79

Bannasidhe wrote: »

Why write them then?

Couldn’t agree more on these letters not being an attempt at influencing the decision or a character reference. So what are they then and why write them so !! Can’t believe there hasn’t been more on this as it stinks to the core of more than a just saying like. There’s been very little locally about it as said TD is the former editor of the local paper and now has a none editorial role I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

Podge_irl wrote: »
    The very running of a border poll is in the grace of the SOS for NI, and there is zero chance of the current UK govt allowing one, particularly with the issues they are facing up in Scotland.

Also, in reference to other points, Unionists in the North can safely refuse to engage with the Irish govt seeing as they are aware of the fact that NI remains part of the UK and will remain part of the UK for the foreseeable and there is A)very little republicans in the North and B)nothing we can do about it. I think it ideological stupidity, but they are clearly getting away with it. NI has had a worse economy than Ireland for decades at this point - even if Brexit/Covid/whatever is enough to shift the dial the idea it would happen in the time period of this coalition is absurd.

that's not exactly true. It is not at all in the grace of the SOS to call for a poll.
    SCHEDULE 1
    POLLS FOR THE PURPOSE OF SECTION 1
    1. The Secretary of State may by order direct the holding of a poll for the
    purposes of section 1 on a date specified in the order.
    2. Subject to paragraph 3, the Secretary of State shall exercise the power
    under paragraph 1 if at any time it appears likely to him that a majority of
    those voting would express a wish that Northern Ireland should cease to
    be part of the United Kingdom and form part of a united Ireland.

3. The Secretary of State shall not make an order under paragraph 1
    earlier than seven years after the holding of a previous poll under this
    Schedule.
    4. (Remaining paragraphs along the lines of paragraphs 2 and 3 of existing
    Schedule 1 to 1973 Act.)

The wording of the Good Friday agreement is very clear. In fact, as I recall, it was the very wording of this paragraph that was one of the stumbling blocks to getting this agreement across the line.

The SOS for Northern Ireland is obliged to call a referendum if it is clear to them that it is likely that a majority would vote in favour of a United Ireland.

People writing character references or getting involved for people in front of the courts has been going on since the state was founded.
    Now, it is not something I personally would be all that comfortable with, but every party was been there.

Remember Trevor Sargent
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0223/127953-sargentt/

Clare Daly and Mick Wallace standing up for a violent guy who had 84 previous.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/leon-wright-wallace-daly-3035365-Oct2016/

Sinn Fein have their own issues with the courts.
    http://www.irishnews.com/news/2017/05/02/news/mary-lou-mcdonald-accused-of-hypocrisy-after-welcoming-special-criminal-court-conviction-1013526/

Personally I wish the legislature stay out of it but this is Ireland where clientism runs deep.

efanton wrote: »

The SOS for Northern Ireland is obliged to call a referendum if it is clear to them that it is likely that a majority would vote in favour of a United Ireland.

Correct and at this moment in time, there is no clear signal where a majority would vote for it, in fact if it were held it would certainly be defeated.

People writing character references or getting involved for people in front of the courts has been going on since the state was founded.
    Now, it is not something I personally would be all that comfortable with, but every party was been there.

Remember Trevor Sargent
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0223/127953-sargentt/

Clare Daly and Mick Wallace standing up for a violent guy who had 84 previous.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/leon-wright-wallace-daly-3035365-Oct2016/

Sinn Fein have their own issues with the courts.
    http://www.irishnews.com/news/2017/05/02/news/mary-lou-mcdonald-accused-of-hypocrisy-after-welcoming-special-criminal-court-conviction-1013526/

Personally I wish the legislature stay out of it but this is Ireland where clientism runs deep.

So like the Dail voting, everyone is at it so *shrug*?
    It's a low bar to set for FF/FG if anything goes.
    Humphreys will get a pasting in the press.

Bowie wrote: »
    So like the Dail voting, everyone is at it so *shrug*?
    It's a low bar to set for FF/FG if anything goes.
    Humphreys will get a pasting in the press.

Why is every post, met with another question about other events?
    I am genuine here. Is it ever possible to discuss the subject raised?

Why is every post, met with another question about other events?
    I am genuine here. Is it ever possible to discuss the subject raised?

It's not. Lowering the bar because such behaviour might be cross party is not a good idea.
    Humphreys wrote a letter to have a case dropped.
    You gave numerous examples. Then I referenced one. I don't see the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Correct and at this moment in time, there is no clear signal where a majority would vote for it, in fact if it were held it would certainly be defeated.

But no one wants it held tomorrow. Calm toi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Grovelling now our mister Flaherty.
    This man stood on a platform of cleaning up Longford from the mess of traveller violence and drugs crime.
    Then a wet week in he writes a letter to the court in a case for three men who were involved in a, stabbing incident, describing them as family men and hard workers and saying this was out of character for them.
    Then claimed it wasn't a character reference?
    https://www.shannonside.ie/news/local/longford/longford-td-regrets-writing-letter-men-convicted-violent-incident/

This man stood on a platform of cleaning up Longford from the mess of traveller violence and drugs crime.
    Then a wet week in he writes a letter to the court in a case for three men who were involved in a, stabbing incident, describing them as family men and hard workers and saying this was out of character for them.
    https://www.shannonside.ie/news/local/longford/longford-td-regrets-writing-letter-men-convicted-violent-incident/

Poor Pat is on the busses, since the big three yearer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

He's not the first one to do that. Anyone can make representations to their TD. Better judgement is the answer and it might be no harm for parties to remind members of that. It's one distraction they should never have to deal with.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement