Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blanch152 wrote: »
    Say what?

Twitter is a cesspool of Shinnerbots and racists, but few people can avoid it completely.

'Say what?' I mentioned he uses twitter. Odd response.

So everyone with an account you support or follow are doing it grudgingly and those whose opinions you don't like are in the cesspool? Sounds reasonable...

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Nope,i have a science based account on twitter and the app on my phone for that purpose
    Tapping on a twitter link on boards opens the app,but I actually follow around a 100 people nearly all science based including Garda anyway
    But yes I am one of the 29% in Ireland with a twitter account

You only read the articles? Sure... :)

No worries. You complain about Twitter and the quality of it's users so much I just noted you were one.
    Is it fair to say everyone only looks at things that interest them and you citing 'science' makes you no less or better than other users following politics or jazz tap?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

To my knowledge Cowen is not very liked within the Dail or within FF. I think his days are numbered as a minister.

Have heard the same. His appointment as a senior minister is a bit of a mystery. Guys with a lot more between the ears and are good media performers like Jim O'Callaghan and Dara Calleary left out to elevate Brian Cowen's dimmer younger brother (and like his older brother he has a well-earned reputation for being fond of the sauce).

Something odd is afoot in FF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Bowie wrote: »
    You only read the articles? Sure... :)

No worries. You complain about Twitter and the quality of it's users so much I just noted you were one.
    Is it fair to say everyone only looks at things that interest them and you citing 'science' makes you no less or better than other users following politics or jazz tap?

My timeline only includes who I follow
    Yes if you're into whatever you're into ,you follow those
    That doesn't change the fact that every crank under the sun is on it
    Some people's cranks are other peoples experts
    I've said before and I'm sure you remember that because its on twitter doesn't mean its popular, its a niche platform
    Its a useful signpost for journos pointing in the hope you sign up to pay walls and its definitely useful for non political stuff like hobbies or general public information like that garda twitter

Yurt! wrote: »
    Have heard the same. His appointment as a senior minister is a bit of a mystery. Guys with a lot more between the ears and are good media performers like Jim O'Callaghan and Dara Calleary left out to elevate Brian Cowen's dimmer younger brother (and like his older brother he has a well-earned reputation for being fond of the sauce).

Something odd is afoot in FF.

I think it's merely a symptom of the 'party first' attitude. If you are of FF stock you are above others regardless of ability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,597 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I think it's merely a symptom of the 'party first' attitude. If you are of FF stock you are above others regardless of ability.

Not sure it always works like this. Dara Calleary comes from as strong an FF stock as anyone after all. Did Biffo back Martin in the battle to succeed him?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Martin has been like the invisible Taoiseach since he took over, Varadkar seems to be doing all the talking to the media and on the TV as much as when he was the boss.

I think the 2.5 years will have passed and we won't even have noticed he was even there.

Although maybe he is keeping his head down until the Cowen story goes away.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Martin has been like the invisible Taoiseach since he took over, Varadkar seems to be doing all the talking to the media and on the TV as much as when he was the boss.

I think the 2.5 years will have passed and we won't even have noticed he was even there.

Varadkar has always been a complete motormouth- constantly sticking his oar into the domain of other Ministers before he was Taoiseach- hes just like that. It does not mean that MM is shying away from the media- just the Varadkar is being his usual self and doesn't know when he has crossed the line into someone else's business.

Varadkar has always been a complete motormouth- constantly sticking his oar into the domain of other Ministers before he was Taoiseach- hes just like that. It does not mean that MM is shying away from the media- just the Varadkar is being his usual self and doesn't know when he has crossed the line into someone else's business.

He was always full of criticsm for departments other than his own, were he did little. He's returning to form is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

McMurphy wrote: »
    So on the same day that Barry Cowen publicly challenges and disputes an official Garda report about him, the Gardai official Twitter account tweets this.

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1282371842527854606?s=19

What n amazing coincidence.

How would that have worked, Murph? Seems very conspiracy theorist in nature. You’ll have to enlighten us as to how the organs of the state colluded to make this happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Probably not sticking his oar enough given some of the ministers

• Registered Users Posts: 19,576 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

He lost a big chance by not sacking Cowen.

Front page still after around two weeks.

Usually enough to bring down the ‘bata mòr’.

‘Constantly’ ‘Complete motormouth’ ‘ crossed the line into someone else’s business’

Given those descriptions we would welcome the numerous examples of same you undoubtably must have .

Would you like to share a half dozen or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

He lost a big chance by not sacking Cowen.

Front page still after around two weeks.

Usually enough to bring down the ‘bata mòr’.

Yep and with the developments today its a story that isn't going to go away anytime soon.

‘Constantly’ ‘Complete motormouth’ ‘ crossed the line into someone else’s business’

Given those descriptions we would welcome the numerous examples of same you undoubtably must have .

Would you like to share a half dozen or so?

Here's one as Minister for Transport on the Dept. of Justice:
    Mr Varadkar called on then Garda Commissioner Martin Callinan to withdraw controversial remarks he made about the two Garda whistleblowers, Maurice McCabe and John Wilson.

The commissioner used the word "disgusting" in relation to the leaking of details of the scrapping of penalty points by the two men.

By contrast, Mr Varadkar described them as "distinguished" and suggested the Department of Justice was not properly investigating the allegations.

Mr Shatter was in Mexico on government business at the time and felt "ambushed" by the comments.

In his book, he claims Mr Varadkar chose to "entirely ignore" briefings from the Department of Justice on the actions being taken and the fact the issue had been referred to the Garda Inspectorate.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/leo-varadkar-betrayed-me-to-win-power-shatter-claims-38158630.html

As minister for Transport on the economy:
    In May 2011, Varadkar suggested Ireland was "very unlikely" to resume borrowing in 2012 and might need a second bailout, causing jitters on international markets about Ireland's credibility.[19][20] Many of his cabinet colleagues frowned on Varadkar's forthrightness, as did the European Central Bank.[21][22] Taoiseach Enda Kenny repeated the line of the Government of Ireland, that the State would not require a further bailout from the European Union or the International Monetary Fund, and said he had warned all ministers against publicly disparaging the economy.[23][24] Varadkar said that reaction to the story was hyped up but that he was not misquoted.[25] The Evening Herald repeatedly described Varadkar as gaffe prone
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Varadkar#Minister_for_Social_Protection_(2016%E2%80%932017)

Minister for Transport on welfare/social protection:
    The Transport Minister has been forced to apologise for the storm he caused over his mums-quitting-work blunder.

Leo Varadkar had suggested working mothers looking for a debt reduction deal may be forced to leave their jobs and mind their kids.

He came under intense fire for saying childcare costs, if higher than women’s wages, would be taken into account in any insolvency agreement if they were preventing parents repaying mortgages.

Enda Kenny was forced to contradict Mr Varadkar and said no one would have to give up their jobs.

The Taoiseach added: “The guidelines will not impose a condition on anybody, woman or man, to be forced to give up a job. Nothing could be further from the truth.”
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/incoming/transport-minister-leo-varadkar-apologises-1790637

There's plenty, have a look Bren. His all talk was all the talk during his various do-little tenures.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

How would that have worked, Murph? Seems very conspiracy theorist in nature. You’ll have to enlighten us as to how the organs of the state colluded to make this happen.

You want me to enlighten you as to the principles behind a coincidence?

A coincidence is a when two or more series of events happen at similar times, and though they look coordinated, they're just things that have happened randomly.

Eg, on the day Barry Cowen gives out about the contents of a Garda report, in which it is alleged he turned away from a Garda checkpoint, while over the legal alcohol limit to drive, and although he was marginally over the limit, he was marginally over the limit for provisional license holders, the Gards tweeted about seizing a motor of a driver who was (like Barry was) the holder of a provisional driving license, and had held it for over fifteen years.

Not conspiracy theory at all, just pointing out how coincidental it was.

Here's one as Minister for Transport on the Dept. of Justice:

As minister for Transport on the economy:

Minister for Transport on welfare/social protection:

There's plenty, have a look Bren. His all talk was all the talk during his various do-little tenures.

Have to give you some kudos for trying, in fairness, but digging up some stuff over 8 or 9 years hardly covers the ‘constantly’ and ‘motormouth’ descriptors.

I’d more think of a Donald Trump or that Brazilian dude or maybe the late Idi Amin, or perhaps even Boris Johnson.

A good try but no convincing.

Have to give you some kudos for trying, in fairness, but digging up some stuff over 8 or 9 years hardly covers the ‘constantly’ and ‘motormouth’ descriptors.

I’d more think of a Donald Trump or that Brazilian dude or maybe the late Idi Amin, or perhaps even Boris Johnson.

A good try but no convincing.

Now Bren, you were responding to and even quoted:
    Varadkar has always been a complete motormouth- constantly sticking his oar into the domain of other Ministers before he was Taoiseach

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Diverboy

Party first has always been the FF mantra. Think back to Dermot Ahern and Noel Dempsey openly lying to the irish people in 2010 when even the dogs on the street knew the IMF was in town.

While other overlooked FF-ers may be more capable than Cowen, his appointment as a minister gives an insight in to Martin's thinking. Martin is very much of the "old guard" FF ethos and anyone that believes otherwise is deluded.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Yes but Leo did call McCabe distinguished when cowardly Enda and the rest of FG were happy to watch a corrupt Garda force bury the man. Leo went on to thank McCabe for helping reform the Gardaí after the Charleston tribunal.

Only 3 others TDs backed McCabe before the truth finally came out. 2 of those 3 were subsequently targeted by the Gardaí or minister for justice.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoints/columnists/michael-clifford/election-crisis-only-three-brave-tds-backed-maurice-mccabe-463456.html

When he became a national hero, all the TDs wanted to be associated with McCabe.

Banana republic.

• Advertisement

Diverboy wrote: »
    Party first has always been the FF mantra. Think back to Dermot Ahern and Noel Dempsey openly lying to the irish people in 2010 when even the dogs on the street knew the IMF was in town.

While other overlooked FF-ers may be more capable than Cowen, his appointment as a minister gives an insight in to Martin's thinking. Martin is very much of the "old guard" FF ethos and anyone that believes otherwise is deluded.

I must admit I didn't notice the usual FF claims of having changed, that was then this is now etc. like we've seen many times before. Maybe MM thought he'd get a few weeks under his belt before FF being found out.

Yes but Leo did call McCabe distinguished when cowardly Enda and the rest of FG were happy to watch a corrupt Garda force bury the man. Leo went on to thank McCabe for helping reform the Gardaí after the Charleston tribunal.

Commendable.
    He went on to criticise the DofJ for not doing enough, despite a brief telling him otherwise. Shatter reckons he was vying for a career boost, which harks back to him having comment on the departments of others while being less than stellar in his own ones.

Commendable.
    He went on to criticise the DofJ for not doing enough, despite a brief telling him otherwise. Shatter reckons he was vying for a career boost, which harks back to him having comment on the deoartments of others but being less than stellar in his own ones.

The DofJ did not do enough. They stood idly by. Fitzgerald did nothing to protect McCabe.

They also knew the Gardaí were utterly corrupt and never looked to reform it.

Shatter refused to give a breath test and drove off. That Garda report went missing...

The DofJ did not do enough. They stood idly by. Fitzgerald did nothing to protect McCabe.

They also knew the Gardaí were utterly corrupt and never looked to reform it.

Shatter refused to give a breath test and drove off. That Garda report went missing...

I agree. I think FG left them to their own devices.
    I think Varadkar saw the wave coming and as with other issues got the surfboard out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Only 3 others TDs backed McCabe before the truth finally came out. 2 of those 3 were subsequently targeted by the Gardaí or minister for justice.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoints/columnists/michael-clifford/election-crisis-only-three-brave-tds-backed-maurice-mccabe-463456.html

When he became a national hero, all the TDs wanted to be associated with McCabe.

Banana republic.

Well isn't that great of Leo.

Completely, let him off with anything else he done wrong

Ole Ole Ole

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Slow news day yesterday I see, Varadkar history lesson.
    Cowen still going.
    Nothing new on Heather, so let's dig up Leo's History courtesy of shinner brigade.
    Have a good day y'all, I hope something new and controversial comes up for you today.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭xl500

Look at the recent voting scandal in the daily both deputies when initially approached denied any knowledge only fessed up when the video could not be denied but the two of them have been looked after by MM
    Dooley has been appointed to the Senate despite being rejected by the people in a general election and a Seanad election and Collins had been given a junior ministry it stinks and typical FF

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Slow news day yesterday I see, Varadkar history lesson.
    Cowen still going.
    Nothing new on Heather, so let's dig up Leo's History courtesy of shinner brigade.
    Have a good day y'all, I hope something new and controversial comes up for you today.

Yeah, of course the poster(s) who brought up Leo's history are part of a "shinner brigade", this lazy stereotyping of people who have the audacity to speak ill of the dear leader is, without a shadow of a doubt, what helped contribute to them being leapfrogged by the shinners in the last election.

2/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

McMurphy wrote: »
    Yeah, of course the poster(s) who brought up Leo's history are part of a "shinner brigade", this lazy stereotyping of people who have the audacity to speak ill of the dear leader is, without a shadow of a doubt, what helped contribute to them being leapfrogged by the shinners in the last election.

2/10.

As I said, it's slow times for yiz, despite everything it's still Leo, Michael and their cronys making the decisions.
    Apart from numbers you're still as insignificant decision wise as ever.
    No point in scoring ten goals and still losing the match is there.

• Advertisement

Leo was kicking to touch on the Cowen story today. He was hiding behind the Garda investigation. Typical FFG tactic.
    He had phrases like 'in due course' and 'I will wait to see'.
    Of course this means that the Garda investigation that should take a day will last until the summer recess.

FFG have learned nothing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement