Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Is that right. And I suppose no FG member has never done anything illegal ever. You do recall from your history books just what a shower of shíts the blueshirts were and how closely they were linked to Fine Gael?

"A certain kind of Fianna Failer", you mean a Republican. Yep FFers ought to be worried alright but it's because of the mistake that their leader Michael Martin has made by getting into bed with the blueshirts.

"A certain kind of Fianna Failer" indeed. Any FFer looking in will do well to remeber and recall just what a certain kind of FGer thinks of them.

You're not having a good time of it at all the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

It's all going splendidly well so far for our new govt.

Today Eamonn Ryan had to be woken up from his nap to vote against a Soc Dems proposal to pay workers a living wage plus a few other fripperies like collective bargaining.

https://www.independent.ie/videos/irish-news/green-party-leader-eamon-ryan-caught-sleeping-during-dail-vote-39374326.html

Basic pay €96,189
    Additional Salaried Allowance €79,510
    plus expenses

Man paid over €90 an hour by taxpayers, can't even stay awake for the debate on low paid workers, and has to be woken up to vote against paying people just over €12 an hour.

Looks more and more like the Greens are just FGers who like gardening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Bannasidhe wrote: »

Today Eamonn Ryan had to be woken up from his nap to vote against a Soc Dems proposal to pay workers a living wage plus a few other fripperies like collective bargaining.

https://www.independent.ie/videos/irish-news/green-party-leader-eamon-ryan-caught-sleeping-during-dail-vote-39374326.html

Basic pay €96,189
    plus expenses

Man paid over €90 an hour by taxpayers, can't even stay awake for the debate on low paid workers, and has to be woken up to vote against paying people just over €12 an hour.

Well to be fair he's physically there.
    Seriously this is the Green's top man looking after the low income tax payer? Shameful.

I can't think of one low income job where you wouldn't be sacked or at least reprimanded for falling asleep. This will be laughed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

Man paid over €90 an hour by taxpayers, can't even stay awake for the debate on low paid workers, and has to be woken up to vote against paying people just over €12 an hour

So in this time where many business are struggling to stay open, many closed and may never open again the left are pandering to the lower paid workers without a care for small business.

If they minium wage is raised to 12 quid a hour without a doubt you will be on here in a month or two moaning about why the price of a meal/pint/weekly shopping has shot up.....

piplip87 wrote: »
    So in this time where many business are struggling to stay open, many closed and may never open again the left are pandering to the lower paid workers without a care for small business.

If they minium wage is raised to 12 quid a hour without a doubt you will be on here in a month or two moaning about why the price of a meal/pint/weekly shopping has shot up.....

Pandering to them that need food and rent paying. Be pretty pointless if their customers don't have any money.

If you can't afford to keep your business or make ends meet, go out and get a better job for yourself. Isn't that how it works?
    Ryan being asleep is it's own issue mind.

• Advertisement

piplip87 wrote: »

How very dare workers want to be paid enough to live on.
    Don't they realise businesses they don't own or profit from are struggling and they should be happy that they are subsiding those businesses by struggling to pay rent, bills, buy food?

If a business cannot pay it's staff enough to live on, i.e. a living wage, and can only survive by paying a full-time employee working 40 hours a week €88 euro a week less than they need to live on than that business is already in trouble.

I guarantee you I will not be moaning if workers are paid enough to live on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

markodaly wrote: »
    Helen McEntee is, by all means, a very capable politician and Minister last time out. What exactly about her do you not like? Is it that she is a woman, as it seems you like to call them names.

Justice is among the toughest briefs. McEntee is coming from an extremely soft junior ministry which as someone else alluded to, involved doing whistlestop tours of Baltic-state capitals for a brief glad-hand and a photo with her equivalent peer in that country.

She wasn't exactly kicking in the door of the Élysée Palace telling Macron what's what on Brexit.

I honestly see nothing from her at this juncture of her career that suggests she will be a stand-out minister in a very tough department.

Prediction: She will do something with direct provision which will delight the woke left (but will actually be a disaster for attracting dubious migrants with shakey stories), which she will dine out on until we are sick of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,576 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

How very dare workers want to be paid enough to live on.
    Don't they realise businesses they don't own or profit from are struggling and they should be happy that they are subsiding those businesses by struggling to pay rent, bills, buy food?

If a business cannot pay it's staff enough to live on, i.e. a living wage, and can only survive by paying a full-time employee working 40 hours a week €88 euro a week less than they need to live on than that business is already in trouble.

I guarantee you I will not be moaning if workers are paid enough to live on.

The business can only pay what they can afford, a chara.

If we have an employee with seven children and an employee with no children, the ‘living wage’ will be way different.

You need to think these things through, my friend.

The business can only pay what they can afford, a chara.

If we have an employee with seven children and an employee with no children, the ‘living wage’ will be way different.

You need to think these things through, my friend.

Actually a Chara, the Living Wage is an actual thing.
    It is €12.30 ph.
    It is worked out - not plucked from the air.
    Currently it is €492 per 40 hr week
    https://www.livingwage.ie/download/pdf/living_wage_technical_document__july_2015.pdf

That is the amount it has been calculated as the minimum a person needs to live on in Ireland.

If an employee has seven children there are tax credits, SW payments etc available plus €980 extra a month in Child benefit. a Chara.
    Lone parents can get https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/tax/income_tax_credits_and_reliefs/one_parent_family_tax_credits_and_reliefs.html

Couples can get https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/family_income_supplement.html

You need to do some research before stating people haven't worked things out.
    A Chara.

Actually a Chara, the Living Wage is an actual thing.
    It is €12.30 ph.
    It is worked out - not plucked from the air.
    Currently it is €492 per 40 hr week
    https://www.livingwage.ie/download/pdf/living_wage_technical_document__july_2015.pdf

That is the amount it has been calculated as the minimum a person needs to live on in Ireland.

If an employee has seven children there are tax credits, SW payments etc available plus €980 extra a month in Child benefit. a Chara.
    Lone parents can get https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/tax/income_tax_credits_and_reliefs/one_parent_family_tax_credits_and_reliefs.html

Couples can get gethttps://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/family_income_supplement.html

You need to do some research before stating people haven't worked things out.
    A Chara.

I well aware of the ‘figure’.

So what happens, prices for products goes up, cost of living goes up, this ‘living wage’ must then go up and the cycle starts again.

Then people will be afraid to take risks won’t bother providing jobs and we will be miserable and unemployed like Soviet Russia.

That what you want, a chara, or a vibrant dynamic economy where those willing to take risks and provide jobs can make a living.

• Advertisement

So what happens, prices for products goes up, cost of living goes up, this ‘living wage’ must then go up and the cycle starts again.

Then people will be afraid to take risks won’t bother providing jobs and we will be miserable and unemployed like Soviet Russia.

That what you want, a chara, or a vibrant dynamic economy where those willing to take risks and provide jobs can make a living.

So take a risk by working for such businesses instead :rolleyes:

A vibrant dynamic economy when 23% of workers have no disposable income and are struggling jut to make ends meet?
    You're having a laugh.

Easy to 'take risks' when your risk is being subsidised by your staff who aren't making a living or by taxpayers who have to supplement your staff wages.

Honestly, it never ceases to amaze me how people can argue against other people being paid enough to actually live on.

A vibrant dynamic economy when 23% of workers have no disposable income and are struggling jut to make ends meet?
    You're having a laugh.

Easy to 'take risks' when your risk is being subsidised by your staff who aren't making a living or by taxpayers who have to supplement your staff wages.

Honestly, it never ceases to amaze me how people can argue against other people being paid enough to actually live on.

Because people can see the long term deficiencies of the idea and do more harm than good.

There IS a housing problem in this State, that needs to be fixed.

Paying a living wage will only start an upward spiral for services and goods which will in turn jack up costs, which in turn will force the living wage up.

Sorry, a chara, that’s what would happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Shambles of a government.

From day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

You're not having a good time of it at all the week.

:confused: I'm not an FF supporter, I voted SF in the last election.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Basic pay €96,189
    plus expenses

Thinking about the fence sitting Soc Dems would cause anyone to fall asleep

Because people can see the long term deficiencies of the idea and do more harm than good.

Paying a living wage will only start an upward spiral for services and goods which will in turn jack up costs, which in turn will force the living wage up.

So rents have been stable or declining with the average living wage? I don't think so.
    More and more workers need state aid for rent and such. So your solution would be to cut that too?
    We the tax payer are already covering the portion of excessive rents low income workers can't meet. Middle Ireland, Bren, they won't wear it any more.

Edgware wrote: »
    Thinking about the fence sitting Soc Dems would cause anyone to fall asleep

Like how one of the founders left a cushy government job to form a new party she was so tired of FG cronyism being backed by her party?

Bowie wrote: »
    Like how one of the founders left a cushy government job to form a new party she was so tired of FG cronyism being backed by her party?

I take the attacks on the Soc Dems as a positive sign.

The Soc Dems are growing. And they are occupying that part of the spectrum that Labour should be in. So much so that the Soc Dems really shouldn't have needed to be formed, except of course they had to be formed because of the greed of Gilmore.

They'll continue to grow and occupy that centre left sector and more power to them.

As things stand and watching how the Greens have gone on since the election they'll start to cannibalise them as well.

They're gonna be a slow burn with an obvious identity and I for one hope it continues unabated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,257 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Lorna Bogue looks like she is about to jump ship. The start of a bigger split within the Greens?
    'This party has made a liar out of me'.

Ouch!

https://twitter.com/LornaBogue/status/1283888395715055616

This is the best government ever. Step aside Johnny and Dicky (and Franny).

She's definitely out the gap. That line about 'lying' to her constituents is particularly striking.

https://twitter.com/LornaBogue/status/1283892508515328001

She's definitely out the gap. That line about 'lying' to her constituents is particularly striking.

https://twitter.com/LornaBogue/status/1283892508515328001

It's a shame. The Greens could scoop up many votes if they got rid of sleepy Eamo and stood up for something besides recycling.

It's a shame. The Greens could scoop up many votes if they got rid of sleepy Eamo and stood up for something besides recycling.

They might get a new leader soon enough.

When is that election finished?

Final hustings happened during the week.

Man alive, inflation of the sort you describe isn't caused by a meagre 80-odd quid extra a week in a low-wage workers pocket (which is what the proposed living wage consists of).

And you accuse people on the left of economic illiteracy.

It's so hard to listen to people cocksure they know about economics and cause and effect with a measures ike this, when they're actually the equivalent of a child with a crayon thinking they're Claude Monet.

Yurt! wrote: »
    Man alive, inflation of the sort you describe isn't caused by a meagre 80-odd quid extra a week in a low-wage workers pocket (which is what the proposed living wage consists of).

And you accuse people on the left of economic illiteracy.

It's so hard to listen to people cocksure they know about economics and cause and effect with a measures ike this, when they're actually the equivalent of a child with a crayon thinking they're Claude Monet.

You remind me of the guy with a leak in the ceiling that keeps getting worse.

Instead of fixing the leak, he just keeps getting a bigger bucket.

He heh.

You remind me of the guy with a leak in the ceiling that keeps getting worse.

Instead of fixing the leak, he just keeps getting a bigger bucket.

He heh.

Brendan. You don't understand how inflation functions. That's the long and the short of it.

If you came into the thread with a different point of view prepared to argue the toss with humility you wouldn't be getting washed. Instead you wade in flinging insults armed with 'a fact' almost no economist would stand behind, and would have you fail an econ 101 class at undergraduate level.

Yeah, buckets.

Yurt! wrote: »
    Brendan. You don't understand how inflation functions. That's the long and the short of it.

If you came into the thread with a different point of view prepared to argue the toss with humility you wouldn't be getting washed. Instead you wade in flinging insults armed with 'a fact' almost no economist would stand behind, and would have you fail an econ 101 class at undergraduate level.

Yeah, buckets.

You are making a lot of mistakes in that post Mister Y.

My motto is ‘Stay Solid-Stay Humble’

I’m not “flinging insults”

I’m not ‘getting washed”

I’m not “wading in”

I’m merely offering a view that it’s better in a competitive environment over the long term it’s better to fix problems than just throw money at them.

Every action has an equal and opposite re-action.

I understand a lot more than you think,a chara and I take in the big picture not the ‘money-tree throw cash at every problem’ outlook favored by certain political genres.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

My motto is ‘Stay Solid-Stay Humble’

I’m not “flinging insults”

I’m not ‘getting washed”

I’m not “wading in”

I near spat out my tea :D

You are one of the most unstable and flaky posters on Boards BB!

I remember your car crash performance on the Irish Water superquango threads where you defended every government action to the bitter end. Priceless.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement