Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Scoondal wrote: »
    Oh yeah. Sorry.
    My point is that the new Irish government of just three weeks has proved that they are a useless crowd of mis-fits who in no way represent Irish society.

Oh dear, and who in your opinion would fill that role?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Oh dear, and who in your opinion would fill that role?

Going by recent events I'm thinking the nearest kindergarten ,

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Going by recent events I'm thinking the nearest kindergarten ,

You are entitled to that opinion. I do not accept the "keystone cops" approach by our new government. That is my real point. Did I mention the sleeping minister ?

It's like the whole of FF have forgotten ever thing between September 2008 and 3 weeks ago,

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

It's like the whole of FF have forgotten ever thing between September 2008 and 3 weeks ago,

I laughed. Reality is the best kind of comedy ... someone said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

We'll those of us who never vite for them Haven't.

But for Covid I wish this year would land like 1982.

You are entitled to that opinion. I do not accept the "keystone cops" approach by our new government. That is my real point. Did I mention the sleeping minister ?

You didn’t, but do not worry.

Did I mention you didn’t tell us who you thought represented Irish society.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Mícheál Martin playing a blinder. Managed to go to Brussels for a bail out and end up us owing them money

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1154061/#click=https://t.co/cRVCYni4yG

This is the consequence of having a weak as piss leader.
    Bowie wrote: »
    Coveney should have gone.

MM: "Given the enormity of Covid we need to put a package together that can respond to Covid. People have died, are dying from Covid."

At least he gave it the respect it was due.
    Be interesting to see how they work Ireland going into a recession with sending money to this fund. Nurses get too many holidays and dole spongers again?
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    Net contributor for structural funds but this is an EU wide bailout for Covid. Heard on the radio that we've 1% of the EU population so 1% of the 750bn fund should give us 7.5bn but it seems not, instead we've to pay money in. Not sure why some countries are getting more than others when everyone was hit by Covid and we were hit harder than many EU countries.
    Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Ah, thanks.

Teach me to drink the coffee before trying to read one of RTE's overly wordy articles.

Would anyone be surprised if an FF/FG/GP govt got us into paying to bail out after CV19? They have form for that kind of thing.
    Id like to know the answers to it too because so far Michael Martin has been very wishy washy by blathering on about the importance of an EU wide recovery while admitting we have to cough up for it. More detail will emerge but theres lots of countries who didnt get hit badly by Covid (Austria, Denmark, Greece, etc) whereas ourselves France, Spain, UK, Italy got hit hard.

Im scratching my head as to how Ireland is looking like ending up to being a net contributor here. I know they're making Hungarys bail out conditional on Orban implementing democratic reforms so theres others things at play here. But as the OP said Martin went to Brussels looking for a bail out and instead he comes back actually owing money.

I am amazed at the number of regular posters who do not seem to know that Ireland has been a net contributor to the EU for a number of years.

Even more amazing is that they think it is a bad thing to be richer than average.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/taoiseach-predicts-steep-rise-in-ireland-s-contribution-to-the-eu-budget-1.4084499

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

Michaal Martin can't speak Irish.

OMG, NATIONAL CRISIS!!!

blanch152 wrote: »
    I am amazed at the number of regular posters who do not seem to know that Ireland has been a net contributor to the EU for a number of years.

Even more amazing is that they think it is a bad thing to be richer than average.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/taoiseach-predicts-steep-rise-in-ireland-s-contribution-to-the-eu-budget-1.4084499

Aah heeyur Blanch, didn’t you know that the biggest sin amongst these lads was working hard and bettering yourself .

Didn’t you know that you always have to sit back on the sofa in the front lawn with a few cans of Linden Village and announce yourself to be ‘strugglin’, while sucking on a few auld packs of smuggled smokes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Another minister who was caught supporting a peadophile.

absolutely false, and you know it is

homophobic nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 16,604 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Martin is a terrible public speaker, anytime he is on its constant stuttering and not being very clear about what he is trying to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,604 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

absolutely false, and you know it is

homophobic nonsense

You are right he doesn't support a paedophile but took his time distancing himself from Tatchell who's views are weird to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

It says Ireland is a net contributor.
    We have been since 2013 afaik.

Am I missing something?
    Net contributor for structural funds but this is an EU wide bailout for Covid. Heard on the radio that we've 1% of the EU population so 1% of the 750bn fund should give us 7.5bn but it seems not, instead we've to pay money in. Not sure why some countries are getting more than others when everyone was hit by Covid and we were hit harder than many EU countries.

I wish I could say I am amazed at your selective quotes but if I did I would be lying.

Your first dig has been proven to be nothing more than a dig.
    Your second point is based on a thing I certainly never said nor do I recall anyone else saying so so that's just made up.

I did refer to Ireland baring the brunt of the bail out of European banks.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-20219703.html

Anyone who states that Ireland was 'rich enough' to pay for 42% of the Europe bank bail out while Germany could only afford 1.5% is living in Celtic Tiger fantasyland.

We got screwed then - being concerned we are about to be screwed once more is a valid concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

I wish I could say I am amazed at your selective quotes but if I did I would be lying.

Your first dig has been proven to be nothing more than a dig.
    Your second point is based on a thing I certainly never said nor do I recall anyone else saying so so that's just made up.

I did refer to Ireland baring the brunt of the bail out of European banks.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-20219703.html

Anyone who states that Ireland was 'rich enough' to pay for 42% of the Europe bank bail out while Germany could only afford 1.5% is living in Celtic Tiger fantasyland.

We got screwed then - being concerned we are about to be screwed once more is a valid concern.

I'm not disagreeing with your main point about now.
    But it's very easy to throw out speculation over what we went through the last time.
    But where or what is, your evidence we got screwed then?
    We have seen examples of countries who tried the other route fail.
    What banks other than Irish banks did we bail out?
    And, do you not think our credit rating now when we need it would have been affected had we defaulted the last time?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I'm not disagreeing with your main point about now.
    But it's very easy to throw out speculation over what we went through the last time.
    But where or what is, your evidence we got screwed then?
    We have seen examples of countries who tried the other route fail.
    What banks other than Irish banks did we bail out?
    And, do you not think our credit rating now when we need it would have been affected had we defaulted the last time?

The evidence is we paid (and are continuing to pay) around 42% of the cost of bailing out European banks. I provided a link in the post you quoted.

Here it is again.
    This time it's an MEP during the crisis years quoting Eurostat
    “Ireland has paid 42% of the total cost of the European banking crisis, at a cost of close to €9,000 per person, according to Eurostat. The full extent of the burden should strengthen the Government’s demands for a deal on the bank debt, although Germany is especially reluctant.

The figures show that while the banking crisis cost Berlin €40bn, Ireland is liable for €41bn. With fractions of the population and GDP of the EU’s biggest state, the crisis has cost Ireland 25% of GDP and Germany 1.5%. Taoiseach Enda Kenny is due to speak in the European Parliament today on the country’s work during its six months at the helm of the EU and is expected to address bank debt and the need for solidarity.
    http://nessachilders.ie/2013/01/05/42-of-europes-banking-crisis-paid-by-ireland/

42% is not speculation.

Will we have to pay 42% for Cv19 as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

The evidence is we paid (and are continuing to pay) around 42% of the cost of bailing out European banks. I provided a link in the post you quoted.

Here it is again.
    This time it's an MEP during the crisis years quoting Eurostat

http://nessachilders.ie/2013/01/05/42-of-europes-banking-crisis-paid-by-ireland/

42% is not speculation.

Will we have to pay 42% for Cv19 as well?

But was that debt Irish debt?
    If our banks were bailed out to that tune then that's OK, but what you imply is that we bailed out other country's banks and took on their debt.
    I don't think that's the case, our debts are our sovereign debt.

Even your link points to that with Childers suggestion the EU should share in our debt because ours is so great.
    Solidarity is what she was looking for, that our debt should be shared equally among the EU countries, effectively easing our debt by getting other countries to share ours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Aah heeyur Blanch, didn’t you know that the biggest sin amongst these lads was working hard and bettering yourself .

Didn’t you know that you always have to sit back on the sofa in the front lawn with a few cans of Linden Village and announce yourself to be ‘strugglin’, while sucking on a few auld packs of smuggled smokes.

I'll just leave this here a charra:
    Listen Mr B, you must think folk are stupid if you think you can link that together , cop yourself on dude.

I was going to debate the other issues but I can see now you are only interested in pure fcukerry and deflection, so I have to regretfully decline to react to you baiting and frankly trying to drag people down a rabbit hole.

Luckily decent posters like myself and blanch can see through that frankly stupid tactic.

Cop on lad, does you no good.

We still don't know how government could solve housing and health in a few months and what vested interests are stopping them?
    I doubt government know either dude.

I'll just leave this here a charra:

We still don't know how government could solve housing and health in a few months and what vested interests are stopping them?
    I doubt government know either dude.

You made the mistake of trying to put words in my mouth,dude , and
    in my opinion, extrapolating incorrectly from my posts.

I withdraw from further discussion on those topics when someone tries that on me.

That’s just pure f ukkerry a chara and well you know it.

So you should mark it down as a lesson learned.:cool:

You made the mistake of trying to put words in my mouth,dude , and
    in my opinion, extrapolating incorrectly from my posts.

I withdraw from further discussion on those topics when someone tries that on me.

That’s just pure f ukkerry a chara and well you know it.

So you should mark it down as a lesson learned.:cool:

So you say.
    Pointing out the irony Bren.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Michaal Martin can't speak Irish.

Good for him. Leave the Irish speaking to the SF TDs and possibly that dinosaur O'Cuiv. It makes them look silly and sectarian. There is no point Irish politicians speaking Irish when the vast majority of the population will not understand them. Time to grow up and stop wasting so much money on Irish. The number of people in Brussels translating EU documents for NOBODY to read is ridiculous. The economic recession might reduce the waste to keep a language artificially on life support.

Good for him. Leave the Irish speaking to the SF TDs and possibly that dinosaur O'Cuiv. It makes them look silly and sectarian. There is no point Irish politicians speaking Irish when the vast majority of the population will not understand them. Time to grow up and stop wasting so much money on Irish. The number of people in Brussels translating EU documents for NOBODY to read is ridiculous. The economic recession might reduce the waste to keep a language artificially on life support.

We own the Irish language not politics.
    Doesn't bother me MM can't speak it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Im just "amazed" :rolleyes: that the whole EU summit earlier this week went completely whoosh over your head blanch. This is a Covid bailout so it is a brand new negotiation where nothing is set in stone till all member states agree. Its nothing to do with EU budget which Ireland has already agreed months ago that we would pay more into on account of the UK leaving meaning there will be a 75bn hole in the EU budget.

Varadkar on April 28th-
    Leo Varadkar has again said he believes the EU has not so far done enough to respond to the coronavirus economic fallout. The Taoiseach said countries worst hit by the virus needed more help and ultimately every member state will need EU funding to help revive stalled economies and get people back to work.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/taoiseach-backs-financial-help-for-worst-hit-countries-ahead-of-summit-39150546.html

When it comes to worst hit countries Ireland definitely falls into that category, despite government cheerleaders thinking we did a great job on the virus. Greece did a great job, we did not. By any metric Ireland falls into the worst hit category along with Spain, Italy, France and the UK.

Varadkar on June 20th
    Ireland will push to receive more of the EU's coronavirus €750bn recovery fund at a virtual summit of EU leaders.

The Government has joined a number of other member states, including Belgium, in pushing for a revision of the mechanism being used to work out how much individual countries will receive by way of loans and grants.
    Under the current proposals, Ireland is due to receive €3bn of the fund, partly due to the fact that Ireland has become one of the wealthier member states, and partly due to the mechanism being deployed by the European Commission to calculate disbursements.
    Taoiseach Leo Varadkar is expected to argue that the mechanism, or allocation key, does not accurately reflect the impact of the virus on the Irish economy.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0619/1148353-eu-covid19/

So only four weeks ago Varadkar was pushing for 3bn out of the total 750bn EU Covid bailout fund. By population we would be getting 7.5bn but there is an acceptance as a richer country we take less. But there was no acceptance that we take a big fat 0 which now looks like what is happening.

So I hope you're "amazed" :rolleyes: now blanch to be set straight on what has been happening in these negotiations. In March 7.5bn was suggested, by June that was down to 3bn and now in July Michael Martin has come back from Brussels with a big fat zero billion and the cherry on top is him being ambiguous on us actually paying into the fund.

Polls not good to FF or the Greens today,

https://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-politics-opinion-poll-july-2020-5154009-Jul2020/

Second wave passes are we looking at FG pulling the plug

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

https://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-politics-opinion-poll-july-2020-5154009-Jul2020/

I think they'll work through to their turn at the top seat. If it all survives that long I'd see an election after 4 years.

is_that_so wrote: »
    I think they'll work through to their turn at the top seat. If it all survives that long I'd see an election after 4 years.

MM is struggling now, 2 years isn't likely

is_that_so wrote: »

The electorate were jaded with FG. Coming fresh from a FF partnership and likely another recession will not endear them to the average floating voter.
    Their legacy is making people turn to FF and SF ffs.

The electorate were jaded with FG. Coming fresh from a FF partnership and likely another recession will not endear them to the average floating voter.
    Their legacy is making people turn to FF and SF ffs.

Only the fools with nothing to lose will have anything to do with SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Absolutely, with everyone talking recession the greens time in the limelight has passed , coupled with sleepy Ryan and the O'Gorman scandal I wouldn't see them doing half as well next time around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Absolutely, with everyone talking recession the greens time in the limelight has passed , coupled with sleepy Ryan and the O'Gorman scandal I wouldn't see them doing half as well next time around.

There is no O'Gorman 'scandal'. Its not resonating with your average voter at all, thankfully and certainly wont be with the Greens support

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement