Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭christy c

Pre COVID we had approx. 1 in 6 households being jobless, that is quite a number IMO. Im not going to pretend this is the root of all problems, but it should be taken more seriously than it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

christy c wrote: »
    Some fairly bizarre leaps there without much to back it up, as bad as any of the cartoon characters on this website.

I don't suppose you've been following the exploits of ELM, blanch, Brendan et al on here? Zealots is the only word for them.

I offer no apologies for that characterisation.

Yurt! wrote: »
    I don't suppose you've been following the exploits of ELM, blanch, Brendan et al on here? Zealots is the only word for them.

I offer no apologies for that characterisation.

I'm not asking you to apologise, I just mentioned your bizzare leaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I'm not asking you to apologise, I just mentioned your bizzare leaps.

That's convenient because I won't be offering any up anyway. Yes, leaps. Of course, well explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Pre COVID we had approx. 1 in 6 households being jobless, that is quite a number IMO. Im not going to pretend this is the root of all problems, but it should be taken more seriously than it is.

5% is 1 in 20,

• Advertisement

5% is 1 in 20,

It is, but I don't get your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

There's more thought in the five lines of his/her post than the 700 odd you've bashed out high on ket and your 'truthvading'

Well that me told. Successive Irish goverments wrestling with the housing issue since the foundation of the state and some bloke Boards has the answer. And it was simple all the time. Who knew?

Read the damn link.

You're on a rager about an infitismally small part of the population. I don't know why people like you bother. You're trying to convince people and yourself there's hordes of single mothers on the scratch doing something or other to your smart and hard working clever boy paypacket, which I'm sure is absolutely massive and taxed at 72 cent on the euro.

Magic money tree etc etc.

I always think they are sore because they got turned down by a single mother, kind of painful on the old ego

It is, but I don't get your point.

You say one in six housholds are jobless , unemployment rate was 5% preCobvid

Correct. One in 20 are officially unemployed, 1 in 6 were jobless.

• Advertisement

Correct. One in 20 are officially unemployed, 1 in 6 were jobless.

You counting kids and pensioners?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Correct.

Our high rate of joblessness, and our similar high rate of VLWI, are not discussed enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Geuze wrote: »
    Correct.

Our high rate of joblessness, and our similar high rate of VLWI, are not discussed enough.

Because it's generally used as a red herring. Like 'free' houses.

Is it that the numbers of people listed as unemployed, or households with unemployment is so high we should continue to lease and buy rather than build? We'd rather have the tax payer foot hotel bills, leases for luxury apartments and private rentals instead of renting out property we own and recouping rent?

It's likely these people not working are doing so for legitimate reasons. You need look at government policy if you've an issue. Besides it has nothing to do with choosing the private market or building social housing.

Joblessness is much wider than unemployment.

In 2018 and 2019, the UNR was low in Ireland, heading for 5%, but joblessness was high.

We have lead Europe in joblessness for many years.

DzIvgZkW0AI7ahC?format=jpg&name=medium

You counting kids and pensioners?

No, households of adults under 66 and excluding students. Quite high isnt it?

Correct.

It's a funny one, the government don't bring it up because of their poor record, and yet the opposition dont bring it up despite the scale of the problem.

No, households of adults under 66 and excluding students. Quite high isnt it?
    So Michael O Learys wife and Dennis o Briens wives would be included in that?

No, Michael has a job hence it's not a jobless household. Thought Denis lives in Malta?

No, as MOL works I assume 5 days per week, their WI is 50%.

VLWI is 20% and below.

We have loads of inactive households, with no market income.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Correct.

That's because the political leaders of the day would rather paint things differently..

https://twitter.com/LeoVaradkar/status/1130836512097132544?s=19

May I ask, so what? How does this relate to our choices in supplying housing?

McMurphy wrote: »
    That's because the political leaders of the day would rather paint things differently..

https://twitter.com/LeoVaradkar/status/1130836512097132544?s=19

Agreed. That's why I'd like to see a right/centre right party emerge from the rubble of this recession.

Bowie wrote: »
    May I ask, so what? How does this relate to our choices in supplying housing?

People are allowed to talk about things other than housing.

People are allowed to talk about things other than housing.

It was raised in part due to a discussion on housing.

If it has no bearing, okay. As I said when it is raised it's usually as a red herring to try argue against building social. No magic money tree because...

Bowie wrote: »
    It was raised in part due to a discussion on housing.

If it has no bearing, okay.

I don’t think it has no bearing on housing, but it's an issue by itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Agreed. That's why I'd like to see a right/centre right party emerge from the rubble of this recession.

We already have 2 - 3 if you count Renua.
    What do you think a 4th centre right party would do differently to the other 3?
    And I haven't even mentioned the PDs.

I really don't get this whole if only we had a right/centre right party in govt they would sort it all out - we have never ever ever had a govt where a right/centre right party wasn't represented - usually in the majority.

The mess we are in are right/centre right messes - own it ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,584 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Bannasidhe wrote: »

I really don't get this whole if only we had a right/centre right party in govt they would sort it all out - we have never ever ever had a govt where a right/centre right party wasn't represented - usually in the majority.

An unprecedented epidemic, a 12 week lockdown have nothing to do with it?

Bannasidhe wrote: »

I think the current parties are centre left in a lot of ways, look at the current issue we are discussing, not a peep from them. Plus the growing welfare budget.

I think a right wing party is needed just to tip the scales back slightly in certain areas, where things like the enormous amount of jobless households are spoken about and some plan is tried to tackle it.

• Advertisement

I think the current parties are centre left in a lot of ways, look at the current issue we are discussing, not a peep from them. Plus the growing welfare budget.

I think a right wing party is needed just to tip the scales back slightly in certain areas, where things like the enormous amount of jobless households are spoken about and some plan is tried to tackle it.

The idea that the left simply want more welfare is not true. Welfare were needed and working towards less of a dependence on welfare through fair wages and affordable rents.

Welfare growth is a symptom of right wing politics IMV. Keeping wages low and using private rentals/leases as social housing requires tax payer subsidies by way of welfare. The more expensive these things become the more tax paying workers are going to need some form of state aid.

We should look at jobless households. However it's quite likely the criteria needs changing as it's not believable these are mostly made up of welfare Ninjas gaming the system.

My idea would be pay people a wage were they can pay their own way and not be reliant on welfare in any form and supply state built housing as cheap rentals based on income and cut out the private market completely. Let the private market look after itself without tax payer funded welfare. Might encourage them to lower some pricing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement