Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭christy c

McMurphy wrote: »

While I dont like the 16k pay rise, Pearse Doherty has some neck. This is the ape that wanted to spend Apple's money only a few months ago, I wonder what that sort of foolery would have done to our borrowing costs? A lot more than 16k I would think.

But anyway, that is seperate from the pay rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

christy c wrote: »
    While I dont like the 16k pay rise, Pearse Doherty has some neck. This is the ape that wanted to spend Apple's money only a few months ago, I wonder what that sort of foolery would have done to our borrowing costs? A lot more than 16k I would think.

Indeed mr C.

I dont like it either, however I would presume that a junior minister would have more responsibility than a run of the mill TD.

I presume that in the real world responsibility should be paid for, otherwise nobody would accept it .

So I can’t see what the big deal is.

Differential..... that’s what it’s all about.

The dude who takes the responsibility should get more than the dude who doesn’t.

Simples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Change, popular vote, workers, dinny, mehole, zzzzzzzzz!

Bowie wrote: »
    Good man.

I know it's shooting the messanger, but when the messanger is a buffoon it's difficult not to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,983 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I know it's shooting the messanger, but when the messanger is a buffoon it's difficult not to.

Doherty makes the average buffoon look and sound like a genius.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Basically it was how can folk like Cullinane and many others in the opposition be taken seriously,pumping out ‘concern’ for others which leads to one conclude that the opposition will remain in opposition,until the opposition fillets that coterie from their ranks.

Bit of a convoluted sentence, I admit , it hope you got the point.

I guess I am Shinnerbot so I am forced to defend SF eh?

I do hope FFG merge officially and a new party emerges for the next GE. A party with decent honest candidates and no baggage. Otherwise I hope SDs continue to grow and that Labour learn some lessons and make a comeback.

To your Cullinane point, I will never like the guy but having said that I guess the opposition can only pray for selfless TDs of the caliber of Dara Murphy, Maria Bailey, Barry Cowen, Alan Farrell, Josepha Madigan etc etc :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Doherty wasn't the author of the tweet, he merely retweeted it, so basically what you just have posted is basically - I don't like the 16k rise either, but because Doherty retweeted that, apple tax shinner grumble grumble. :D
    blanch152 wrote: »
    Doherty makes the average buffoon look and sound like a genius.

Remember that time he had to point out the big gaping hole in Noonans calculations?

Now, come tell me if you have someone "who makes the average buffoon look like a genius" correcting your math, what does that make them look like?

The phantom €2 billion: How everyone except Sinn Féin got the maths wrong

Awkward.

Didn't take long to get the feet back under the table.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1286693568422318081

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Indeed mr C.

I dont like it either, however I would presume that a junior minister would have more responsibility than a run of the mill TD.

I presume that in the real world responsibility should be paid for, otherwise nobody would accept it .

The dude who takes the responsibility should get more than the dude who doesn’t.

Simples.

A funny looking recession if they can afford an extra 48 grand a year to be paid to these 3 junior ministers, who are already well paid.

The quantity of junior ministers is ridiculous anyway and the Greens have shown themselves to enjoy these perks like the others.

• Advertisement

I guess I am Shinnerbot so I am forced to defend SF eh?

I do hope FFG merge officially and a new party emerges for the next GE. A party with decent honest candidates and no baggage. Otherwise I hope SDs continue to grow and that Labour learn some lessons and make a comeback.

To your Cullinane point, I will never like the guy but having said that I guess the opposition can only pray for selfless TDs of the caliber of Dara Murphy, Maria Bailey, Barry Cowen, Alan Farrell, Josepha Madigan etc etc :P

Good man, good man

An Ill raise you Martin Ferris, Aonghus o Snodaigh, Dessie Ellis, Gerry Kelly, Barry McElduff.

Jaysus!

We could make a game outa this.....:rolleyes:

Doherty wasn't the author of the tweet, he merely retweeted it, so basically what you just have posted is basically - I don't like the 16k rise either, but because Doherty retweeted that, apple tax shinner grumble grumble. :D

Yes I grumbled that Pearse Doherty has some neck after being exposed yet again as a spoofer, had you just posted the original tweet, I probably wouldn't have commented. Dont know where the humour is coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Indeed mr C.

Simples.

Oh yeah, we simples alright.
    Absolute tomfoolery of a payrise.
    There was a chance for this govt to make a difference in bad times, lift themselves and build their support.
    Have a look back at their first month.
    They aren't covering themselves in glory.
    16000 pay rises just adds to the list.
    Rub the hard pressed peoples, stuck at home through no fault of their own, noses in it as well as the healthcare workers who aren't deserving of a pay rise.
    It's only 16000 a year extra lads, but our poor old shop assistants on the front line everyday don't even make that in a year mostly because of their work contracts.

Norma Foley and Stephen Donnelly look completely out of their depth. Even worse than their predecessors.

Oh yeah, we simples alright.
    Absolute tomfoolery of a payrise.
    There was a chance for this govt to make a difference in bad times, lift themselves and build their support.
    Have a look back at their first month.
    They aren't covering themselves in glory.
    16000 pay rises just adds to the list.
    Rub the hard pressed peoples, stuck at home through no fault of their own, noses in it as well as the healthcare workers who aren't deserving of a pay rise.
    It's only 16000 a year extra lads, but our poor old shop assistants on the front line everyday don't even make that in a year mostly because of their work contracts.

Completely missing the point, dude.

The main point is that we can't afford these extravagant wage increases for 3 nobodys that have no power.

Their salary is very generous as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

I'm simples it seems. :)
    And I'm not a shinner either, I'm an anomaly.

The main point is that we can't afford these extravagant wage increases for 3 nobodys that have no power.

Completely agree.....my point though is if you give people more responsibility you have to pay them.

It’s the same in all walks of life.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

So now that you have established its a separate issue maybe add your thoughts on what he was referring to.

Good man, good man

An Ill raise you Martin Ferris, Aonghus o Snodaigh, Dessie Ellis, Gerry Kelly, Barry McElduff.

I have never heard of the last 2. I thought Gerry Kelly was a chat show host on UTV when I had those foreign channels. :P

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Completely agree.....my point though is if you give people more responsibility you have to pay them.

It’s the same in all walks of life.

I can imagine player's like you in a football team.

I'm simples it seems. :)
    And I'm not a shinner either, I'm an anomaly.

Too late Bishop you'll be tarred as 'pond life' etc. ongoing.
    Your Wolfe Tones t-shirt is in the post ;)

Limpy wrote: »
    I can imagine player's like you in a football team.

Like....stocky thick set corner back, bit slow, but will given the chance, will clean out the top set with an elbow if you try to jink past?

I have never heard of the last 2. I thought Gerry Kelly was a chat show host on UTV when I had those foreign channels. :P

Well they get a 16000 pay rise, people criticise it and the faithful come back with Bobby Sands or something. Game for a laugh, (see what I did there?).

Limpy wrote: »
    So now that you have established its a separate issue maybe add your thoughts on what he was referring to.

I already did, I said I didnt like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

It’s good to see Pearse continues to remind everyone that he is an idiot. Just in case anyone forgot......

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    It’s good to see Pearse continues to remind everyone that he is an idiot. Just in case anyone forgot......

It was a very clever tweet in fairness. Very bad optics for FFG again!

If you are looking for idiots, try the Agriculture minister who got sacked after 3 weeks in the job.

Hey come here, tell us....have you met any of your IFA buddies since? Any craic from them? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Shefwedfan wrote: »

In fairness, you thought it was a shinner conspiracy against you because everyone and his dog knew that the Ceann Comhairle automatically retained their seats in any new Dail, just because you didn't.

I'd wind the neck in, and stop dishing out idiocy accusations tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,983 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Which three people got a payrise?

As I understand it, there used to be two juniors sitting at the cabinet table, now there are three. The third one is getting the rate for the job, same as the other two, just like anyone else would if they got a job.

Am I missing something? Or is this just the permanently outraged finding their latest cause?

• Advertisement

The govt that keeps giving...

https://www.thejournal.ie/michael-mcgrath-forgets-5158882-Jul2020/
    In 2017, the €16,00 top-up payment became a subject of controversy when Fine Gael wanted to pass legislation to appoint Mary Mitchell O’Connor as a third super junior minister.

That legislation never entered the Oireachtas and it was widely reported at the time that Fianna Fáil, then in a confidence and supply arrangement with Fine Gael, had privately blocked it.

In September 2017, Mitchell O’Connor said she was happy to forgo the pay increase “to avoid needless party political distractions”.

In a statement published on the Fianna Fáil party website, which is still available, the party’s then-spokesperson on education and skills, Thomas Byrne, confirmed that the party would block the creation of the new role.

“Let me make it clear – Fianna Fáil will vote against any legislative change which attempts to fund an additional super-junior position. Mr Varadkar didn’t think it through and must now deal with the consequences of the mess he created,” Byrne said.

Asked today why his party is now in favour of creating a third super junior role in the current Cabinet, Michael McGrath said that he did not recall any attempts by Fianna Fáil to block an identical move in 2017.

The timing is unreal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement