Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Teflon McGrath..must be getting advice from Tony Blair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Completely agree.....my point though is if you give people more responsibility you have to pay them.

It’s the same in all walks of life.

I suppose they wont have to steal ink cartridges to turn a few bob

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

The govt that keeps giving...

https://www.thejournal.ie/michael-mcgrath-forgets-5158882-Jul2020/

The timing is unreal.

Is it that unusual that a Government coalition of 3 parties might want a super junior from each party in cabinet?

And to be clear the change was to increase the number of 'Super Junior' positions; it did nothing to change pay or allowances other than to add an existing allowance to the net pay of a 3rd super junior.

ronivek wrote: »
    Is it that unusual that a Government coalition of 3 parties might want a super junior from each party in cabinet?

And to be clear the change was to increase the number of 'Super Junior' positions; it did nothing to change pay or allowances other than to add an existing allowance to the net pay of a 3rd super junior.

Why would FF block it in 2017 and support it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Limpy wrote: »

I suspect in part because at the time Leo Varadkar appointed 4 super junior Ministers; 3 from Fine Gael and one Independent. I'm not sure which of those 4 would have been entitled to the extra allowance and which would already have been claiming the allowance.

Aside from the fact in many cases the Opposition will vote against the Government as a matter of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Truthvader wrote: »
    I suppose they wont have to steal ink cartridges to turn a few bob

Or work a second job over in Europe.

Still, 16000 though, nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Limpy wrote: »

Maybe things have changed?

With time are people not allowed change their opinion?

Shefwedfan wrote: »

When it means getting Extra money to me or my mate definitely. I'd support it all day I suppose, fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

I think the opposition will give FFG 2 years or more. They wont want to take over during a severe recession and they will sit back and watch FFG stumble around in chaos (look at the first month). I cant see any winners for the FFGG govt. The 30 billion of borrowing this year will eventually require an austerity period.
    Eh? Borrowing never requires austerity. 30 billion we take out this year, will be more sustainable than it is now, in 2 years - not less... - thus lessening the case for austerity even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Like how Sinn Féin have changed their position on Europe say?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Like how Sinn Féin have changed their position on Europe say?

Waiting to see how the wind blows

Edgware wrote: »
    Waiting to see how the wind blows

Like leo on same sex marriage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Bowie wrote: »
    Like leo on same sex marriage.

Or FF and pay rises for super junior ministers. Over the line just before they all head off on holiday too.

Wasnt the election all about "change" ?
    Well you're ****ing getting it now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Hundreds of thousands of people unable to pay for their rent/mortgages, hundreds of thousands after losing their jobs, politicians literally asleep on the job only waking up long enough to veto the living wage bill and there's people on here who actually think it's A-OK for these politicians to award their own a pay rise of 16K because 124K just isn't enough??

Unbelievable. Great little country we have here alright.

Hundreds of thousands of people unable to pay for their rent/mortgages, hundreds of thousands after losing their jobs, politicians literally asleep on the job only waking up long enough to veto the living wage bill and there's people on here who actually think it's A-OK for these politicians to award their own a pay rise of 16K because 124K just isn't enough??

And its unbelievable that people think "the other crowd" would behave any differently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

And its unbelievable that people think "the other crowd" would behave any differently

Yeah, we should just carry on with our heads in the sand. This is the benchmark, no one else will do any better. No point giving them a chance. Soldier on.

Which "other crowd"? Do you mean SF?

Sure FFFG didn't believe their values or ethics held up to their own great values or ethics and refused to even talk to them when forming government talks, so they're not in power, FFFGG are. They're the ones making decisions like vetoing the living wage bill and immediately after awarding themselves a bumper pay rise in the middle of a pandemic, not SF.

Do you think that was the correct move on the government's part?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Yeah, we should just carry on with our heads in the sand. This is the benchmark, no one else will do any better. No point giving them a chance. Soldier on.

If you think a party of moronic populism like SF are an alternative then you need your head examined. When you have a halfwit like Pearse Doherty as your finance spokesman then you know you aren't exactly dealing with a party bursting with talent.

Full of bluster, outrage, piss and vinegar. The more astute of us can see right through it.

Which "other crowd"? Do you mean SF?

Sure FFFG didn't believe their values or ethics held up to their own great values or ethics and refused to even talk to them when forming government talks, so they're not in power, FFFGG are. They're the ones making decisions like vetoing the living wage bill and immediately after awarding themselves a bumper pay rise in the middle of a pandemic, not SF.

Do you think that was the correct move on the government's part?

The living wage bill was voted down as it was completely unsustainable.

• Advertisement

What's sad is people trying to discuss it and deflection like this.
    'but them others is worser' isn't cutting it anymore. Especially now its FF/FG as one.

The pay raise or supplement was a cynical gouging move on the tax payer.

If you think a party of moronic populism like SF are an alternative then you need your head examined. When you have a halfwit like Pearse Doherty as your finance spokesman then you know you aren't exactly dealing with a party bursting with talent.

Full of bluster, outrage, piss and vinegar. The more astute of us can see right through it.

But why keep bringing SF into it? They're not in government, they didn't pass this bill. The current coalition did. Do you think this pay rise was justified in the middle of this pandemic, where so many people are struggling with everyday bills?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Dont forget they voted down a bill as well that stops business from simply upping sticks and leaving the staff with statutory redundancy to be picked up by the taxpayer.
    Debenhams is Cleary's mark 2.

But why keep bringing SF into it? They're not in government, they didn't pass this bill. The current coalition did. Do you think this pay rise was justified in the middle of this pandemic, where so many people are struggling with everyday bills?

Yes, I do think it was justified. I'm of the opinion that politicians are underpaid. I certainly wouldn't do their job for the money they make. Working huge hours, continual public scrutiny, abuse from losers online, no job security.

Fúck that for a game of snooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

FF never do populism of course.

I see Bertie was doing the rounds this week starting the ball rolling on whitewashing his own history.

I'm sure he's changed his mind on a few things. I understand that that's now allowed.

koutoubia wrote: »
    Dont forget they voted down a bill as well that stops business from simply upping sticks and leaving the staff with statutory redundancy to be picked up by the taxpayer.
    Debenhams is Cleary's mark 2.

One rule for ordinary taxpayers and one for politicians. Horses for courses really.

How could one possibly be expected to live on 124K? It's unsustainable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Yes, I do think it was justified. I'm of the opinion that politicians are underpaid. I certainly wouldn't do their job for the money they make. Working huge hours, continual public scrutiny, abuse from losers online, no job security.

The 5 Ps
    Perks, payment, power ,pension ,job is a piece of pīss

Handy life. Off on holidays now. Recent pay rise

abuse from losers online

2 posts earlier,calls pearse doherty a halfwit :rolleyes:

Underpaid? Right, ok.

So by that justification, nurses and carers also deserve a pay rise, yes? overworked, underpaid etc. Will we see a pay rise for them soon do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

The more astute of us he says.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement