Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,557 ✭✭✭✭Water John

He has some organisational position within FG, liaising between membership and parliamentary party or somesuch...

Basically pushed into a back office, out of sight where he won't do any harm.

Forbes mag studied the effect of salary/wage on performance. It concluded that there was no gain in paying anyone over €75K.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Scoundrel wrote: »
    Don't we all? Now if you could explain how paying useless turds like Chambers and crony nobodies like Hackett and Naughton €140,000 a year achieves that i'll be very impressed.

I find it weird when people defend these enormous salaries which come from public money.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,030 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes of course. And I agree with your original point.
    Loads of backlash over the rise now, probably be a pay row with teachers and medical unions and most public service unions.
    It wasn't a smart move.
    No money for teachers. Sure arent they on a paid holiday since march.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

ELM327 wrote: »

The point is the equalisation of junior ministers salary because they're at cabinet.
    Teachers starting out don't get the same as, teachers with experience so they will at least look for that I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭Floppybits

The point is the equalisation of junior ministers salary because they're at cabinet.
    Teachers starting out don't get the same as, teachers with experience so they will at least look for that I'd say.

This is going to open a can of worms now for the government. Donohue was stupid yesterday to say it was equalising Junior Ministers pay. All that has done now is set off the Teachers, Doctors and Nurses unions who will be looking to reverse the pay conditions for their members that were agreed in 2011 and now the government have basically given them the ammunition to use.

I am just shocked that government are doing this especially minister like Donohue that have been there for years. Between this, Leo's aide de camp, Simon and his car and garda driver, Cowen drink driving and Eamonn and his 8 advisors, its like they know the government wont last so they are cleaning out the coffers before they get thrown out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

ELM327 wrote: »

Have you kids Elm?

I have 4, and so have first hand knowledge of at least 4 separate teachers who most definitely weren't on a paid holiday for the months up until June.

My kids had a full weeks work every Monday ahead of them, which they worked on each weekday, set by the teachers which I assume they checked over when it was sent back to them. The teachers had regular zoom call meetings and various midweek activities set for them also.

I don't think they were laying back scratching their privates smoking doobies all of lockdown, not the ones that were educating my lads anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Have to say I'm enjoying the job FG are doing on FF in this government. Varadkar is playing Martin like a fiddle. Between the green zone turnaround and then the social welfare issue he is positioning FF for an almighty wallop come next election.

FG playing chess while Martin and the rest of the gombeens are playing snakes and ladders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Have to say I'm enjoying the job FG are doing on FF in this government. Varadkar is playing Martin like a fiddle. Between the green zone turnaround and then the social welfare issue he is positioning FF for an almighty wallop come next election.

FG playing chess while Martin and the rest of the gombeens are playing snakes and ladders.

I'd rather they concentrated on managing the country. Seems they are all skipping from one gaffe to another while filling their pockets.

Having bottom bunk in a FF government isn't shrewd by any stretch of the imagination.

So you aren't a member of FF anymore Patrick, or have you just forgotten what membership card you're in receipt of this month:confused:

• Advertisement

This was always going to happen. Martins desperation to be Taoiseach allowed FG to walk all over FF. Basically Martin sold out FF to get into government and FG are now rubbing their faces in it. I wonder if Donohue would have said what he said yesterday about the Junior ministers pay if it was an FG led government?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

I find it weird when people defend these enormous salaries which come from public money.

I'm not against public officials being paid well but paying these nobody junior ministers more than the PM of Italy or Spain is absolutely ludicrous

Got this earlier, funny little bit.

One day a florist went into a barber for a haircut. After the cut, he asked about his bill, and the barber replied, 'I cannot accept any money from you today, as I'm doing community service this week.'

The florist was extremely pleased and left the shop.
    When the barber went to open his shop the following morning, there, outside his door, was a 'thank you' card together with a dozen roses waiting for him.

Later, a member of An Garda Siochana comes in for a haircut, and again, when he tries to pay his bill, the barber once again replied, 'I cannot accept any money from you, as I'm doing community service this week.' The cop was very happy and left the shop.

The next morning when the barber went to open up, there was a 'thank you' card and a dozen doughnuts waiting for him at the door.

Now Micheál Martin came in for a haircut, and when he went to pay his bill, the barber once again replied, 'I cannot accept any money from you, as I'm doing community service this week.' Micheál was very happy, as he did not have to claim this on expenses and left the shop.

The next morning, when the barber went to open up, there were a dozen Fianna Fáil TDs, a dozen Fine Gael TDs and a few more from Green Party Ireland all lined up waiting for a free haircut.

And that, my friends, illustrates the fundamental difference between the Citizens of Ireland and the politicians who run it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

To be fair, many teachers went above and beyond but there were many others who did the bare minimum (especially in primary school).

To be fair, many teachers went above and beyond but there were many others who did the bare minimum (especially in primary school).

We don't seem to vet TD's salaries and allowances based on their performance. I hear a few were napping on the job the other week.
    Won't be long before Nurses are relegated from 'Hero' status back down to 'too many holidays over paid' status.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

McMurphy wrote: »
    So you aren't a member of FF anymore Patrick, or have you just forgotten what membership card you're in receipt of this month:confused:

No that was a joke Johnny. Not the first time you fell for one of mine hook line and sinker. Ended up with pie all over your face if I remember correctly.

Bowie wrote: »
    We don't seem to vet TD's salaries and allowances based on their performance. I hear a few were napping on the job the other week.
    Won't be long before Nurses are relegated from 'Hero' status back down to 'too many holidays over paid' status.

They should strike now while the going is good for them. Equal pay for equal work the government wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

It's a salaried job though, I mean the Opposition get theirs too, based on what performance would you give theirs.
    It's these perks like the wage increase for juniors that are infuriating.
    How would one crew justify theirs for 3 years with no work being done earthly elsewhere, while condemning others is like speaking with forked tongue paleface.
    See I didn't name them, but you know, whom I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭political analyst

Why exactly is the government not willing to abolish the special allowance that is the subject of last week's legislation? There has to be more to it than greed. Surely, Hildegarde wouldn't throw her toys out of the pram if she was asked to forgo the alllowance!

No that was a joke Johnny. Not the first time you fell for one of mine hook line and sinker. Ended up with pie all over your face if I remember correctly.

A joke you say...... didn't we call you out on the "joke" when you posted it at the time......

Your act went stale a few years ago.

Pull your socks up Patrick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

He has some organisational position within FG, liaising between membership and parliamentary party or somesuch...

Milk and sugar?

It's a salaried job though, I mean the Opposition get theirs too, based on what performance would you give theirs.
    It's these perks like the wage increase for juniors that are infuriating.
    How would one crew justify theirs for 3 years with no work being done earthly elsewhere, while condemning others is like speaking with forked tongue paleface.
    See I didn't name them, but you know, whom I mean.

Just pointing out we'll get reams of anecdotal stories about nurses and the like and people will base or bolster their opinions as to whether or not a rise is due based on that. When it comes to politicians, their pensions and 'allowances' we are expected to fall in line and hear about quality money for quality people and the like.
    Pointing out things and criticising is their job. Especially if the ministers are taking the (Hi Ho) silver away ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

All minister are to take a 10% pay cut

After their raise ;)

Gents.

Yes I see that.
    https://m.independent.ie/

Bit of equalisation there, anyway, but it's been forced by opinion and it will fall hollow now.
    But it's a good move.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Yes I see that.
    https://m.independent.ie/

Bit of equalisation there, anyway, but it's been forced by opinion and it will fall hollow now.
    But it's a good move.

Yes, agree, allowing themselves to be pushed around by a bunch of scones.

Extremely poor start up to now, if the schools thing falls flat it’s gonzo.

Better get that one right.

After their raise ;)

Gents.

Nice to get a haircut and still be quids in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Norma Foley living in some time warp.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,606 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Very messy start to the new Government, first Cowen then sleeping beauty Eamonn, €16 k pay rises and now a roll back where everyone is taking a 10% pay cut when they probably copped it that the public were pissed off over the whole thing.

And some people think politics is boring!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Very messy start to the new Government, first Cowen then sleeping beauty Eamonn, €16 k pay rises and now a roll back where everyone is taking a 10% pay cut when they probably copped it that the public were pissed off over the whole thing.

And some people think politics is boring!

No need to watch American politics when we have our own pantomime here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement