Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

This covid payment stopping if you go abroad for a break is ridiculous too.
    Loads of people had stuff booked and paid for and can't get their money back if they don't go.
    I know there are some exploiting the system, but this blanket ban on leaving the country or face having your payments stopped is bordering on totalitarianism.
    No bother if you take a break here but don't go abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

This covid payment stopping if you go abroad for a break is ridiculous too.
    Loads of people had stuff booked and paid for and can't get their money back if they don't go.
    I know there are some exploiting the system, but this blanket ban on leaving the country or face having your payments stopped is bordering on totalitarianism.
    No bother if you take a break here but don't go abroad.

You must ask yourself though is a few euro for a holiday more important than a life time of guilt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

We should get Verona Murphy to open up a few camps for returning holiday makers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Very messy start to the new Government, first Cowen then sleeping beauty Eamonn, €16 k pay rises and now a roll back where everyone is taking a 10% pay cut when they probably copped it that the public were pissed off over the whole thing.

And some people think politics is boring!

Don't forget Leo with his own aide-de-camp and Simon wanting to keep his car and garda driver. They are all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Floppybits wrote: »
    Don't forget Leo with his own aide-de-camp and Simon wanting to keep his car and garda driver. They are all the same.

and Peter 'paedo sympathiser' thatchell

the scandal list is already something.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Very messy start to the new Government, first Cowen then sleeping beauty Eamonn, €16 k pay rises and now a roll back where everyone is taking a 10% pay cut when they probably copped it that the public were pissed off over the whole thing.

And some people think politics is boring!

It is beyond embarassing.

It's clear there are major communication issues.

Their summer holiday will be a welcome relief from the chaos.

Now is surely not the time to take a holiday. Covid caused economic chaos, a terrible eu budget, Brexit around the corner.

They couldn't give a toss

Embarrassing for any floating voter voted for them. They themselves couldn't give a fiddler's.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,983 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Bowie wrote: »
    After their raise ;)

Gents.
    No need to watch American politics when we have our own pantomime here
    Floppybits wrote: »

Was wondering how posters were goi g to squeeze in criticism of the government after tonight’s announcement of a 10% pay cut.

Some people won’t be happy no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,521 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

All minister are to take a 10% pay cut

I presume its the ministerial allowance that is to be cut by 10%, not their TD salary?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭howiya

Geuze wrote: »
    I presume its the ministerial allowance that is to be cut by 10%, not their TD salary?

Salary figures contained here

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/government-ministers-to-take-10-pay-cut-taoiseach-says-1.4314818

blanch152 wrote: »
    Was wondering how posters were goi g to squeeze in criticism of the government after tonight’s announcement of a 10% pay cut.

Some people will constantly polish a turd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

I think it is safe to say FF and the Greens have added zero to the government and only made things worse by their indecision, dithering and internal conflicts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Geuze wrote: »

I would have thought it would have to be 10% on their gross total but who knows. No doubt the usual crowd will find something to complain about irrespective of how it's applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

I think it is safe to say FF and the Greens have added zero to the government and only made things worse by their indecision, dithering and internal conflicts.
    To leave them out would mean FG would be on 35 seats. Sinn Fein " the change party" are the only ones who think that is a majority. Probably gets Violet to do the sums. She's good at that

ronivek wrote: »
    I would have thought it would have to be 10% on their gross total but who knows. No doubt the usual crowd will find something to complain about irrespective of how it's applied.

Go back and read howiya link to the Irish Times, its only a few posts back, it's because of outside pressure and because of unease by their own TD's about the stupid rise they granted.
    Unrest in their own parties is probably the main reason.
    When you make a good decision for the right reason, good.
    When you make the right decision for the wrong reason, not so good,
    When you make the right decision after being forced, bad and weak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

So 10% reduction back dated, how have we found fault with that?

It’s the usuals, I was wondering what rubbish people would come up with

McMurphy wrote: »

Brilliant ? Really?

I know she plays it her supporters but does she really think they are that stupid they don’t understand?

Go back and read howiya link to the Irish Times, its only a few posts back, it's because of outside pressure and because of unease by their own TD's about the stupid rise they granted.
    Unrest in their own parties is probably the main reason.
    When you make a good decision for the right reason, good.
    When you make the right decision for the wrong reason, not so good,
    When you make the right decision after being forced, bad and weak.

So you are saying now a government should never make any changes becaus it will show they are weak?

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    So you are saying now a government should never make any changes becaus it will show they are weak?

This decision was weak, yes. They should never have made the super junior pay rise.
    This is a decision made on the basis of the can of worms they opened up and what they are probably going to still face, public sector pay rises and equalisation unrest.
    And even after all that they're still better off than the last govt.
    . https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/phantom-pay-cut-new-taoiseach-and-cabinet-will-earn-more-than-predecessors-despite-10pc-wage-reduction-39403297.html

This decision was weak, yes. They should never have made the super junior pay rise.
    This is a decision made on the basis of the can of worms they opened up and what they are probably going to still face, public sector pay rises and equalisation unrest.
    And even after all that they're still better off than the last govt.
    . https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/phantom-pay-cut-new-taoiseach-and-cabinet-will-earn-more-than-predecessors-despite-10pc-wage-reduction-39403297.html

How is it weak? When was the last pay reduction in the Dail?

It’s a huge decision and not one made easy I bet. Especially with the initial problem. This decision had to have support of a huge majority of Ff/FG/Greens

Sorry but no idea how anyone could see this as weak unless they are spouting the usuals SF propaganda that’s says everything is bad unless it comes from SF

It’s a huge decision and not one made easy I bet. Especially with the initial problem. This decision had to have support of a huge majority of Ff/FG/Greens

Sorry but no idea how anyone could see this as weak unless they are spouting the usuals SF propaganda that’s says everything is bad unless it comes from SF

Yeah, I'm spouting the usual shinner propaganda. ;)

Yeah, I'm spouting the usual shinner propaganda. ;)

Well any other reason why you think the politician taking a pay cut is bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

You'd want to switch off boards and turn on the radio or buy a paper. The general consensus over the past few days including this morning is that this is a poor ill judged decision. And that position has been supported in print and on air by TDs from the three govt parties.
    And they call Shinners a cult.

It's good they done it, but it's a uturn and it's because of unrest with their first decision to grant payrises.
    It shows that they are capable of changing their minds which is good.
    But optically it's bad.
    Why didn't they announce it last week before they granted the payrise?

Even with the pay cut they are over 1k each better off than the last government.

Tge 10% is obviously only temporary too

• Registered Users Posts: 27,983 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

ronivek wrote: »

They were in before you.
    Bowie wrote: »
    Some people will constantly polish a turd.

To be honest, there is some load of sh!te coming from people who oppose the government. There hasn't been a single positive idea from the opposition who have been contradicting themselves completely.

One minute they are calling for the country to be shut off from the outside world like New Zealand, the next they are giving out about social welfare recipients being prevented from going on holidays while the workforce are back at work having been forced to take their annual leave during the lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Martin must think people are stupid he says the 10% pay cut was agreed weeks ago yet they decided to give a 16k payrise to nobody juniors in the meantime trying to pretend this cut has nothing to do with the 16k payrise is hilarious. If Martin lasts 2 budgets i'll be very surprised.

• Advertisement

They were in before you.

To be honest, there is some load of sh!te coming from people who oppose the government. There hasn't been a single positive idea from the opposition who have been contradicting themselves completely.

One minute they are calling for the country to be shut off from the outside world like New Zealand, the next they are giving out about social welfare recipients being prevented from going on holidays while the workforce are back at work having been forced to take their annual leave during the lockdown.

Who are they, I know quite a few on covid payment and I haven't heard of anyone forced to take annual leave during lockdown.
    That's actually illegal I think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement