Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,983 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Who are they, I know quite a few on covid payment and I haven't heard of anyone forced to take annual leave during lockdown.
    That's actually illegal I think.

Dublin Bus drivers for a start were taking a day a week during the lockdown, they were not the only ones, gardai and firemen had to take leave.

Many public servants have been told to take their annual leave as originally planned so have been on leave in June and July, had to sit at home, don't have leave left etc., so no chance of a holiday this year for them, but the poor lads sitting on their arse should be allowed go to Ibiza to party all week.

Those who weren't let go in private sector have also been told to take their leave. It is endemic. That is why the issue of social welfare recipients going on holidays is getting such airtime from the opposition. The workers can't go, but they are taking up the fight on behalf of the entitled. It will rebound fast on the likes of PBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

blanch152 wrote: »
    Dublin Bus drivers for a start were taking a day a week during the lockdown, they were not the only ones, gardai and firemen had to take leave.

Many public servants have been told to take their annual leave as originally planned so have been on leave in June and July, had to sit at home, don't have leave left etc., so no chance of a holiday this year for them, but the poor lads sitting on their arse should be allowed go to Ibiza to party all week.

Those who weren't let go in private sector have also been told to take their leave. It is endemic. That is why the issue of social welfare recipients going on holidays is getting such airtime from the opposition. The workers can't go, but they are taking up the fight on behalf of the entitled. It will rebound fast on the likes of PBP.

So basically anyone still getting paid.
    Anyone still working and getting paid can go, it's up to themselves.
    My wife works in the private sector, was off and got her payment, she is back at work now and we are heading for kerry next week as part of her annual leave, Holiday pay for 2 weeks as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Who are they, I know quite a few on covid payment and I haven't heard of anyone forced to take annual leave during lockdown.
    That's actually illegal I think.

Nope. Employer can tell you to take holidays whenever they want in reality. Most companies have had to force annual leave to be taken (place I work for included) as otherwise you'd have everyone looking to take time off towards the end of the year or carrying over loads of days off

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭Floppybits

titan18 wrote: »
    Nope. Employer can tell you to take holidays whenever they want in reality. Most companies have had to force annual leave to be taken (place I work for included) as otherwise you'd have everyone looking to take time off towards the end of the year or carrying over loads of days off

I know most compnaies where people are working from home or still working were asked by their employers to take annual leave during the lockdown. Anyone who had booked annual leave still had to take it. As is said above it had to be done to stop people canceling or storing annual leave till lockdown was over and then everyone looking for the time off at the one time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Asked if the change to the PUP rules which mean it is stopped for those travelling abroad on holidays was notified to Cabinet, Minister for Education @NormaFoleyTD1 tells @MorningIreland "No, I'm not aware of it having been brought to Cabinet." | https://t.co/V1s4ZNtdhd https://t.co/pQUlDBWQrr

Leo ruling by decree now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,983 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

So basically anyone still getting paid.
    Anyone still working and getting paid can go, it's up to themselves.
    My wife works in the private sector, was off and got her payment, she is back at work now and we are heading for kerry next week as part of her annual leave, Holiday pay for 2 weeks as usual.

Many of those getting paid have already been forced to take annual leave during lockdown. They can't go on holidays. Even if they could go, they need another two weeks holidays afterwards for the self-isolation. The only ones with the time available for holidays are working people with large amounts of leave (a small minority) and people sitting around on social welfare.

Do you think it is fair that people who have worked all through the pandemic like bus drivers, gardai and firemen can't go on holidays while those on social welfare should be allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Total mess about the junior ministerial pay, which could have been avoided if they just didn't do the increase!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Many of those getting paid have already been forced to take annual leave during lockdown. They can't go on holidays. Even if they could go, they need another two weeks holidays afterwards for the self-isolation. The only ones with the time available for holidays are working people with large amounts of leave (a small minority) and people sitting around on social welfare.

Do you think it is fair that people who have worked all through the pandemic like bus drivers, gardai and firemen can't go on holidays while those on social welfare should be allowed?

There's green list countries to go to, but the people still not back at work, eh barstaff and those involved in the hospitality sector, they can't go.
    Leave aside those on welfare even.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Fann Linn wrote: »
    You'd want to switch off boards and turn on the radio or buy a paper. The general consensus over the past few days including this morning is that this is a poor ill judged decision. And that position has been supported in print and on air by TDs from the three govt parties.
    And they call Shinners a cult.
    Among other words containing c u and t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Fann Linn wrote: »
    You'd want to switch off boards and turn on the radio or buy a paper. The general consensus over the past few days including this morning is that this is a poor ill judged decision. And that position has been supported in print and on air by TDs from the three govt parties.
    And they call Shinners a cult.

I haven’t been on boards in days....so go again

• Advertisement

There's green list countries to go to, but the people still not back at work, eh barstaff and those involved in the hospitality sector, they can't go.
    Leave aside those on welfare even.

I think your digging a hole here. You must be living under a rock if you are trying to deny people had to take holidays during lockdown in the private sector even if they could go nowhere. This was across all industries.

Are you saying this didn’t happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Yeah, I'm spouting the usual shinner propaganda. ;)

Typical. Shinner pretending not to be a shinner, sure you're not :)
    It's terrible annoying when you try comment on something and people come back with off topic shinner ****e isn't it?
    The three amigos are giving the raise back.
    Great.

Total mess about the junior ministerial pay, which could have been avoided if they just didn't do the increase!

That's why they are in government, the goodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

And now they've done another U-turn eh...

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2020/0728/1156041-super-junior-pay-rises/
    RT&#201 wrote:
    The three "super junior" ministers sitting at the Cabinet table will share €32,000 worth of allowances between them - rather than getting a €16,000 allowance each.

The Government has announced that Jack Chambers, Hildegarde Naughton and Pippa Hackett "have decided to waive and gift back to the State the increased allocation which was approved by the Dáil last week".

But a spokesperson confirmed to RTÉ News that this includes the third allowance of €16,000 that was voted on in the Dáil on Friday.

The waiver does not include the allowances for two super juniors, which had been allowed for in earlier legislation brought in by a previous government.

They were in before you.

To be honest, there is some load of sh!te coming from people who oppose the government. There hasn't been a single positive idea from the opposition who have been contradicting themselves completely.

One minute they are calling for the country to be shut off from the outside world like New Zealand, the next they are giving out about social welfare recipients being prevented from going on holidays while the workforce are back at work having been forced to take their annual leave during the lockdown.

Blanch you completely misrepresented a post of mine ranting about things I never said regarding people on the dole and with covid payments taking vacations. You went on a rant about the left too.
    I pointed out that nonsense and you ignored it toddling off to the next self righteous used tissue of fantasy so forgive me if I can't take you at all serious.
    For your viewing pleasure: here

They gave themselves a hike then a cut, then are giving back one of the hikes.
    Called out by the public despite spin merchants and apologists running defense for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Lot of anger here today, think I’ll stay away.

The bullhorn brigade are hammering hard, in full negativity mode,aided and abetted by the media.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

The bullhorn brigade are hammering hard, in full negativity mode,aided and abetted by the media.

Well is it any reason to be fair.

Every week its a new scandal.

Least they get to go on holdiay now, Some craic when it starts coming out TD's are going abroad on their holidays

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Absolutely priceless stuff from FFG and the Greens. All over the shop to say the least.

I guess it's good to see them bowing to public pressure but in reality the public wont remember what they actually did except that they were talking about allowances a lot. The optics and the timing are terrible.

I think this government will be the most entertaining yet!

Absolutely priceless stuff from FFG and the Greens. All over the shop to say the least.

I guess it's good to see them bowing to public pressure but in reality the public wont remember what they actually did except that they were talking about allowances a lot. The optics and the timing are terrible.

I think this government will be the most entertaining yet!

It will be forgotten in a week....the election will be in 5 years and nobody will care :-) but keep telling yourself they will

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭gifted

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    It will be forgotten in a week....the election will be in 5 years and nobody will care :-) but keep telling yourself they will

It won't be 5 years.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Shefwedfan wrote: »

5 years yeah :D

So far so good.

It will be 2-3 entertaining years at most. Hopefully FF cease to exist after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭gifted

So far so good.

It will be 2-3 entertaining years at most. Hopefully FF cease to exist after that.

It'll be when this virus ****e is sorted out first....ye all saw how easy it was to bring Cowen down in the first few days, can you imagine what else is waiting in the long grass.........opposition won't bring down the government until they know they have a clear road ahead.

So far so good.

Would love to see an ongoing FF/FG partnership as they try hold on to the glory days.
    All they have politically speaking is waffle. Now partnered, what does FF stand for the FG doesn't? They are like Eric and Don jnr. Trump.

Ahh it’s new week, same story. Next week someone will do a poo and not flush and you will have the same “uproar” on here. Will someone not think of the children brigade.

Not a single decent alternative but plenty of complaining, you would think after months of it now they would at least take 1 day off, but 24 x 7 coverage has to maintained.....

gifted wrote: »
    It'll be when this virus ****e is sorted out first....ye all saw how easy it was to bring Cowen down in the first few days, can you imagine what else is waiting in the long grass.........opposition won't bring down the government until they know they have a clear road ahead.

Quango in the works, guaranteed.

So far so good.

Yes because that will happen, if it didn’t happen after the crash I hate to tell you it won’t happen in the future

Cowan down? He was back at work and doing his job!!!

What opposition?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭mattser

Not much point having a clear road ahead, when all you're capable of is sitting on the ditch with your hurl.

mattser wrote: »
    Not much point having a clear road ahead, when all you're capable of is sitting on the ditch with your hurl.

They, (PBP/SF/SD) did a great civic service calling out the 16,000 pay hikes.
    Also called out allowing travel during a pandemic then 'advising' you don't.

• Advertisement

Bowie wrote: »
    They, (PBP/SF/SD) did a great civic service calling out the 16,000 pay hikes.
    Also called out allowing travel during a pandemic then 'advising' you don't.

Hahahahaha

Is that what you call a great job? Have one of them clowns come up with an alternative or just usual complaining about what everyone else is doing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement