Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The Taoiseach wouldn't dare to sack the Green ministers if Ryan didn't sanction the rebel Green TDs because to do so would lead to another general election this year.
    It's not quite a sackable offence, they still have the numbers but very slack by the Greens. Even the Kerry twins and the rural alliance wouldn't have broken rank so fast. I don't know if he'll make it the full two years as there are bound to be other points of principle to abstain on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    All of the above is your personal opinion and based on nothing.

You posted a link which you either didnt read or didn't understand. Own it and move on.

You were supporting drink driving and animal abuse there awhile back. Fair play to ya for holding onto the same username.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

smurgen wrote: »
    You were supporting drink driving and animal abuse there awhile back. Fair play to ya for holding onto the same username.

:P

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Uk is basket case at the moment, they took the old Brexit at the wrong time as now they don’t have Europe to prop them up. It’s a potential bigger disaster for them than anyone else. Not great news for us but not much we can do

Boris has made a real balls of it

• Advertisement

Uk is basket case at the moment, they took the old Brexit at the wrong time as now they don’t have Europe to prop them up. It’s a potential bigger disaster for them than anyone else. Not great news for us but not much we can do

Boris has made a real balls of it

Brexit was long in motion before Boris arrived.

Brexit was long in motion before Boris arrived.

You do remember who was one of the main people on the leave campaign?

Covid has made a balls of it for Boris, I would say he would have done well but covid has emptied the coffers

You do remember who was one of the main people on the leave campaign?

Covid has made a balls of it for Boris, I would say he would have done well but covid has emptied the coffers

Same situation world over. Covid has torpedoed everyone's plans.
    Italy and Spain got grants of 130 billion to spend between them. MM got us an increased budget contribution bill.

UK will surely leave with no deal at this stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Same situation world over. Covid has torpedoed everyone's plans.
    Italy and Spain got grants of 130 billion to spend between them. MM got us an increased budget contribution bill.

UK will surely leave with no deal at this stage.

To be fair FFG were fine with 64 billion Euros of private banking debt being added to our national debt back in 2008-2011.
    They told us the EU would reward us for our best behaviour...

To be fair FFG were fine with 64 billion Euros of private banking debt being added to our national debt back in 2008-2011.
    They told us the EU would reward us for our best behaviour...

That's very true . And with the United States actively trying to entice its tech giants home on one side and with Brussels hoping to enforce an EU wide tax levy on those tech companies it's all starting to look rosy for Ireland.

This year multinational tax paid in Ireland will be greater than vat collected here. We are head over heels reliant on Us multinationals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

All governments seem to be short sighted. However in 2011 we had historic opportunity to 'change the way we do business'. The public voted for that. It was an opportunity wasted for greed and cronyism.
    Now this crisis should be taken as an opportunity to try move away from reliance on multinationals. We need to try 'change the way we do business'.
    More borrowing to put a plaster on a flawed two tiered system is just going around in circles. We're taking from the bottom to feed the top and borrowing to pick up the inevitable short falls. Things were getting steadily worse before Covid. Borrowing to mearly make a return to that is short sighted and stupid. I suppose it works if your only interest is filling your pockets before your term ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,271 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

AT least Leo was right in his analogy - that putting FF back in power would be like putting John Delaney back in charge of the FAI?
    The FF paycut that wasn't a paycut versus the FAI paycut that wasn't one for some.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/revealed-fais-secret-tax-free-rent-payout-to-john-delaney-7mbm3wtr8?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1595835918

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Thought there'd be more fuss over McSharrys comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Plenty of people are quietly seething and waiting in the long grass.
    He was given an opportunity to gracefully retract his comments, he instead chose to reinforce them.
    He seems to have forgotten that he will have to rely on a great many of the people he is denigrating- and they're not going to forget him............

• Registered Users Posts: 21,556 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Won't be much use asking McSharry to look into some problem you have. If the request has his name on it, it'll fall into the waste paper basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

blanch152 wrote: »

For example, we are now going to have to properly legislate for a carbon tax, make it close to impossible for future governments to reverse it. Now, a carbon tax is something you are on record of opposing, but your colours are clear today. Something that brings a carbon tax closer, which you claim to dislike, is now suddenly welcomed by you, just because you believe it puts egg on FG's face.

The carbon tax already exists.

It was introduced in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Bowie wrote: »
    Where am I supporting Carbon tax here? I've no issue if the money goes on green initiatives.

The increase in the carbon tax from 20 to 26 this year is ringfenced for env purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Plenty of people are quietly seething and waiting in the long grass.
    He was given an opportunity to gracefully retract his comments, he instead chose to reinforce them.
    He seems to have forgotten that he will have to rely on a great many of the people he is denigrating- and they're not going to forget him............

He will be the poll topper next time.
    (Becuz doze Dublin pipil are agin uz)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Geuze wrote: »
    The increase in the carbon tax from 20 to 26 this year is ringfenced for env purposes.

The chap thinks every critical comment is a seething nailing of theses to the door of FF/FG HQ.
    Their not up to scratch piecemeal environmental plan was knocked back for not being fit for purpose.
    No issue with a carbon tax if the money goes on green initiatives. My only concern is FF/FG using the environment as a way to cadge money off the tax payer*.

*See Irish Water

Scoondal wrote: »
    He will be the poll topper next time.
    (Becuz doze Dublin pipil are agin uz)

He 'll never stand again,

• Advertisement

John Hume has died
    Will MM make very disingenuous statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

John Hume has died

Rip John Hume.
    Amazing that you somehow bring his death around to being a criticism of MM instead of an appraisal of a great man.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

John Hume has died

RIP - a great statesman.

I only met him once- when I was a student back in 1993- and was embarrassed about how I could be Irish and yet so ignorant of Northern politics. He was gracious with his time and exceptionally effective at imparting information- with a group of 14 of us who were members of the youth wings of various different Irish political parties at the time.

The ability of people like John Hume to make monumental leaps of faith- are the cornerstone on which peace on this island coalesced.

I understand that he had suffered from dementia for a period of time- and while his death was not unexpected, his family must be devastated.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam dílis.

John Hume has died

John Hume has died, a great man and was critical to peace process

Yet all you can think about is a childish pop at FF........

RIP John Hume a true great of NI

I keep reading about how the like of Coveney and varadkar have given themselves drivers, aides, garda protection and other perks that are firsts for people in their roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,581 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I keep reading about how the like of Coveney and varadkar have given themselves drivers, aides, garda protection and other perks that are firsts for people in their roles.

Don’t forget Conor up North, got a state car to go to funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I think most people realise he's right. The civil service were never known to be especially hard working and now with a combination of government instability, their unions and covid, they can sit back and watch their box sets without any chance of reprisal against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

That's very true . And with the United States actively trying to entice its tech giants home on one side and with Brussels hoping to enforce an EU wide tax levy on those tech companies it's all starting to look rosy for Ireland.

This year multinational tax paid in Ireland will be greater than vat collected here. We are head over heels reliant on Us multinationals.

[out of my depth here], but the U.S. poor, really, really, want that actual production jobs. And their votes, in Texas, Louisiana, Carolina, ..... seem to be people that D.Trump has been, and is, determined to deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

I think most people realise he's right. The civil service were never known to be especially hard working and now with a combination of government instability, their unions and covid, they can sit back and watch their box sets without any chance of reprisal against them.

this I find amazing. and yet, they will glide back, and continue to appropriate to themselves, the arbitration of any publics' disputes; - and will ensure that there is no resolution to any disputes; as this mainly is what their job consists of.

• Advertisement

John Hume has died, a great man and was critical to peace process

Yet all you can think about is a childish pop at FF........

RIP John Hume a true great of NI

Not childish, because of the unfortunate situation where we have a basket case for a Taoiseach who will make incompetent digs at others instead of being semi-statesman like in his statements on John Humes death, the man has the people skills of a two year old , sending him to the funeral would be a mistake, let the lepreauchan go and let the rest stay at home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement