Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Scoondal wrote: »
    Does anyone else have questions ?

If the pubs and clubs open as normal and we have an explosion of covid. What would you do then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Let these people come off social welfare and operate their business in the same way that other business operates. It's called faireness for all.
    Does anyone else have questions ?

So mass murder is your answer?

That’s what the government would be accused of if we have a large outbreak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

A pub with food verses a pub without food?

A school verses a pub?

Nightclubs won't work. I'm down with the Footloose rule of no dancing.

Bowie wrote: »
    I get safety concerns and am on board.
    How does one justify opening schools, but not pubs, unless they sell food. Is steak and Kidney pie or crayons a deterant to Covid 19?
    Worse case in a pub people act like children and don't observe social distancing...unlike children who...wait a minute..

You do understand the difference between a restaurant which is set up to feed people and a pub which is set up to get people drunk?

I don’t see why this is so difficult, we can use crayons as you refer to in your post, unfortunately on Ireland we have a grey area but opening up all establishments at this stage would be a disaster, do you not think so?

Your reference to child is well.....

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

If the pubs and clubs open as normal and we have an explosion of covid. What would you do then?

If there is a confirmed case related to a venue, then we simply do contact tracing.
    The opening of pubs and venues will adhere to public health guidelines. It will be table sevice and taking names and phone numbers. It will be a controlled environment.
    Restaurants and eating pubs have been open since 29 June doing this.
    Why can't I have a pint outside when other people are having coffee or fanta ?
    Any more questions ?

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »

No, I do not advocate mass murder. That is a bad solution to a virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

So now you want to tell people what they can/can’t do with their money?

I thought it was Paddy the Plasterer's money? Hard to keep up with De Bertie. At least Father Ted had an account for his corrupt money to rest I.

You really will defend your party to end. Grim.

* cue "but shur it was ages ago and something something Sinn Féin" *

You do understand the difference between a restaurant which is set up to feed people and a pub which is set up to get people drunk?

I don’t see why this is so difficult, we can use crayons as you refer to in your post, unfortunately on Ireland we have a grey area but opening up all establishments at this stage would be a disaster, do you not think so?

Your reference to child is well.....

If you are afraid of getting the virus, you should isolate. That is the government advice. Other people can live their own lives as they wish, adhering to advice or not. Advice is not regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Jesus that's quite a leap, even for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

It would be reasonable to have the pubs open if they strictly controlled the number of customers in the pub at any one time based on person/square metres, and as they do in Scotland I believe have customers sign in so that a publican can clearly show who was in their pub, on which date, and at which time. No ID, no service.

Problem is can we trust the publicans to actually strictly enforce this?

This customers who buy food can drink pints nonsense is a joke. I am sure this is being abused to no end.
    for instance
    Customer comes in and gets charged €10 for a bowl of sausage & chips and as it so happens the publican has an offer on where pints are reduced by €2 a pint. With the empty plates or bowls left on the table until the customer leaves just in case someone comes checking and they can claim they have just finished their meal.
    In effect the customer puts the same money behind the bar as they normally would and the publican can claim that food was provided.

The reality is pubs, clubs, theatres and any other entertainment venues are never going to be totally safe until there is a vaccine.
    Time for people and the government to grow up and be honest about that.

Personally I would be happy for the pubs to be open if there was someone permanently on the door, taking details from customers as they come in, and keeping a count on how many customers are in the venue, each pub having a sign on the door clearly stating how many people they can accommodate, and the Gardai doing random checks. If the numbers in the pub dont tally, or people have not signed in then the venue is closed immediately and the publican automatically forfeits his license. This would only work if a publican knows there a risk of losing their license and this would be be enforced by the courts without mercy, but it would be a fair and reasonable compromise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I get safety concerns and am on board.
    How does one justify opening schools, but not pubs, unless they sell food. Is steak and Kidney pie or crayons a deterant to Covid 19?
    Worse case in a pub people act like children and don't observe social distancing...unlike children who...wait a minute..

Well in terms of the overall benefits to society getting kids back into school is waaaay ahead of anto or paddy going to the pub to get plastered on pints.

Kids have been off schools since March and are due back in early September, you are looking at a gap of 6 months.

The government are right to be putting the right to education before the right to a pint.
    Unsurprisingly, you are critical of pubs remaining closed, fancy that!
    The government could come up with a vaccine tomorrow and you would still be giving out about them.

To be honest, the hysteria around pubs is that.... hysteria.

There is a difference between a pub that serves food and one that doesn't. Also people forget that there is a time limit on how long one can stay in a pub with food at present.

Schools are the priority and nothing should get in the way of that.

markodaly wrote: »
    Well in terms of the overall benefits to society getting kids back into school is waaaay ahead of anto or paddy going to the pub to get plastered on pints.

Kids have been off schools since March and are due back in early September, you are looking at a gap of 6 months.

The government are right to be putting the right to education before the right to a pint.
    Unsurprisingly, you are critical of pubs remaining closed, fancy that!
    The government could come up with a vaccine tomorrow and you would still be giving out about them.

Swing and a miss....
    I'm asking from a health and safety perspective how is a pub unsafe but a class room not?
    How is eating in a pub safer than just drinking in a pub
    It was all in the comment.

Swing and a miss....
    I'm asking from a health and safety perspective how is a pub unsafe but a class room not?
    How is eating in a pub safer than just drinking in a pub
    It was all in the comment you quoted.

Its self evident is it not?

Under 18's who are going back to school are the most Covid-19 resistant group.

Under 18's generally wont be going to pubs, older people will who are more suspect to the virus.

Throw the Irish love of alcohol into the mix then opening up drinking spots is not the best thing to do at the moment.

As per the food comment. Pubs that serve food are a) bigger and b) easier to social distance than pubs that are purely drinking spots.
    There is also a time limit on how long one can stay in a pub that serves food.

Do you disagree with NPHET Matt or is this just another one of those rabbit hole type of discussions you like to engage in?
    Would you open pubs? Yes or No?

Its self evident is it not?

Under 18's who are going back to school are the most Covid-19 resistant group.

Under 18's generally wont be going to pubs, older people will who are more suspect to the virus.

Throw the Irish love of alcohol into the mix then opening up drinking spots is not the best thing to do at the moment.

As per the food comment. Pubs that serve food are a) bigger and b) easier to social distance than pubs that are purely drinking spots.

Do you disagree with NPHET Matt or is this just another one of those rabbit hole type of discussions you like to engage in?
    Would you open pubs? Yes or No?

I was asking out of curiosity. Businesses do limit capacity. Do you think being bigger means they can cram them in or as before covid due to safety capacity was limited?
    Would a limit of people allowed in at any one time make sense the smaller the pub the less people allowed in?
    Will kids socially distance? We are finding younger people are contacting it and anyone can spread it.

I asked genuine questions. You go play top trumps with someone else son.

I sent a message to Heather Humphrey's office. They asked for my address and PPS number before responding to my request.

I was asking out of curiosity. Businesses do limit capacity. Do you think being bigger means they can cram them in or as before covid due to safety capacity was limited?
    Would a limit of people allowed in at any one time make sense the smaller the pub the less people allowed in?
    Will kids socially distance? We are finding younger people are contacting it and anyone can spread it.

I asked genuine questions. You go play top trumps with someone else son.

OK, so you refuse to answer a very simple yes or no question, which appears to be a habit of yours.

Giving it loads giving out about government decisions, yet when pressed slightly on 'What would you do...'

**TUMBLEWEED**

OK, so you refuse to answer a very simple yes or no question, which appears to be a habit of yours.

Giving it loads giving out about government decisions, yet when pressed slightly on 'What would you do...'

**TUMBLEWEED**

this just another one of those rabbit hole type of discussions you like to engage in

Surely though that the crux of the issue.

There are lots of small pubs, especially in rural areas, that might have a very low volume of customers anyhow. Because they dont serve food they cannot open, but yet it is likely that many of them could still can provide social distancing to an equal or higher degree than some of these trendy gastro pubs.

Surely then sensible route would be for every 4 square metres of floor space you can have one customer, or an area of space per customer agreed by NPHET. Simply have each pub or entertainment venue display clearly on their front door a sign stating the number of people that they are allowed to have based on social distancing guideline from NPHET, so that if the Gardai or inspectors were doing spot checks they would know immediately if regulations were being breached .
    If a publican can operate under such conditions then let them do so, for those that would argue that they would not do enough business, well they were given a choice.

As for the time limit do you honestly believe that is being adhered too?
    I have a real difficulty believing that most of pubs that are currently open and serving food restrict customers to 90 minutes.

As for the argument that keeping pubs closed prevents people from congregating and potential spreading the virus, just look at the number of people meeting up in each others homes, or having house parties. I would hazard a guess and suggest that off license sales have increased dramatically since the pubs were closed.
    Are we not just ticking a box, rather than actually addressing a problem with the current rules?

If pubs had strict limits as to how many customers they could have, and keep a written record of exactly who was was in their pub and when, I cant see why pubs could not operate under these conditions as long as they were strictly enforced.

efanton wrote: »

There are lots of small pubs, especially in rural areas, that might have a very low volume of customers anyhow. Because they dont serve food they cannot open, but yet it is likely that many of them could still can provide social distancing to an equal or higher degree than some of these trendy gastro pubs.

Surely then sensible route would be for every 4 square metres of floor space you can have one customer, or an area of space per customer agreed by NPHET. Simply have each pub or entertainment venue display clearly on their front door a sign stating the number of people that they are allowed to have based on social distancing guideline from NPHET, so that if the Gardai or inspectors were doing spot checks they would know immediately if regulations were being breached .
    If a publican can operate under such conditions then let them do so, for those that would argue that they would not do enough business, well they were given a choice.

I have a real difficulty believing that most of pubs that are currently open and serving food restrict customers to 90 minutes.

As for the argument that keeping pubs closed prevents people from congregating and potential spreading the virus, just look at the number of people meeting up in each others homes, or having house parties. I would hazard a guess and suggest that off license sales have increased dramatically since the pubs were closed.
    Are we not just ticking a box, rather than actually addressing a problem with the current rules?

If pubs had strict limits as to how many customers they could have, and keep a written record of exactly who was was in their pub and when, I cant see why pubs could not operate under these conditions as long as they were strictly enforced.

That's what I was wondering. It doesn't seem to add up. There was no size limit as far as I know. So a small pub that did food could open and a larger one that doesn't can't? Would make more sense to limit the numbers based on size, food or not I would have thought.

Then the whole kids in a room for an extended period of time.

• Advertisement

efanton wrote: »

If pubs had strict limits as to how many customers they could have, and keep a written record of exactly who was was in their pub at when, I cant see why pubs could not operate under these conditions as long as they were strictly enforced.

You argue against yourself there.

You state on one had that we should open up pubs and let them self regulate but then decry that the 90 minute rule is not being adhered to.

The furore about pubs is just that.
    Get the schools open first, then talk about the pubs.

We are seeing an uptick of cases all around Europe and the sensible approach is to wait and see. We don't want to jump the gun and then in a month or so have to close down half of Ireland again.
    Again, there is no perfect solution here, but hard choices.

When BoJo is being cautious and deploying some of their re-opening of various things, do you honestly think, we should be ploughing ahead?

Werent you on record in stating that people should be infected deliberately?

this just another one of those rabbit hole type of discussions you like to engage in

So answer the question. Do you want pubs to reopen, against the advice of NPHET?

I sent a message to Heather Humphrey's office. They asked for my address and PPS number before responding to my request.

My solicitor will be informed.

So answer the question. Do you want pubs to reopen, against the advice of NPHET?

You're being very combative.

The stupidity of the Irish government is embarassing me. Maybe I should emmigrate to a third world country to enjoy my retirement.

You're being very combative.

Not at all.
    You are being evasive.

Why are you afraid of answering a simple question Matt?
    It is either yes or no.

I presume, if you are giving out about the this that you are actually in favour of going against the advice of NPHET ?

You argue against yourself there.

You state on one had that we should open up pubs and let them self regulate but then decry that the 90 minute rule is not being adhered to.

The furore about pubs is just that.
    Get the schools open first, then talk about the pubs.

We are seeing an uptick of cases all around Europe and the sensible approach is to wait and see. We don't want to jump the gun and then in a month or so have to close down half of Ireland again.
    Again, there is no perfect solution here, but hard choices.

When BoJo is being cautious and deploying some of their re-opening of various things, do you honestly think, we should be ploughing ahead?

Werent you on record in stating that people should be infected deliberately?

My argument is not contradictory.
    My point is valid. The existing rules aren't working, because they can be ignored or circumvented without significant consequences.
    What is the difference between a pub that serves food with ten customers and a pub that doesn't serve food with ten customer if they are the same size?

I actually stated that self regulation was not working in many cases, but if the government actually gave teeth to its regulations and publicans were in no doubt that they would lose their license if they broke regulations, do you think there would be many that would?
    The point I was making is it is perfectly possible for pubs to conform to social distancing without serving food. But we have a government that is actually afraid to put teeth into its covid regulations, and that is one of the reasons why pubs will remain closed.

We have airports open to the world, with 'random testing' and those arriving having to state where they will be staying. It is a fecking joke. I know of Americans arriving in the last few weeks who had return tickets to return to the USA TEN DAYS later. How were they going to self isolate for two weeks?
    Why have we not told the airlines and travel agencies that anyone who has a return ticket for less than 14 days will not be permitted entry?
    We advise people travelling out of the country to self isolate for two weeks when they return, but yet we do not confirm that this actually happens.

If we are to have regulations then lets have them enforced, and have serious consequences for those that break them . If you are not going to enforce the existing regulations then why crucify the small pubs and businesses that dont have much custom any how. Many of these will never open again if this goes on much longer.
    Will this government be paying redundancies to those that permanently lose their jobs being it is they that put them out of work?
    Its only a matter of time before some businesses whose insurance company fails to honour their polices tries to sue the government instead.

As for deliberate infection, I was asking the question at the beginning of the epidemic before the general public was fully informed as to whether once infected does that provide immunity. It was later proven that this was not the case. Question asked, question answered.

Not at all.
    You are being evasive.

Why are you afraid of answering a simple question Matt?
    It is either yes or no.

I presume, if you are giving out about the this that you are actually in favour of going against the advice of NPHET ?

He is checking with head quarter to see what the answer is, he will be back soon

:-)

Don’t expect an actual answer either....

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭xl500

Because there are low numbers people are trying to say the pubs can open safely but maybe its because the pubs are closed we have low numbers

• Advertisement

To be honest getting drunk should be one of the last considerations for everyone, for some reason it seems to be the first.

People giving examples of 1-2 pubs breaking the recommendation is also going to hit a small section, if every pub in Ireland is open it will be a disaster.

Thing is loads of posters are aware of this, they are just saying they should be open because the government is keeping them closed. If MM came out yesterday and said he was opening them we would see uproar because he wasn't listening to expert. He keeps them closed and the same loonies are in uproar because they want it open.

Never see an alternative, just more mindless ramblings

Remember, you can always get pi**ed at home if you are so dependent on alcohol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement