Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Lads, did Leo say we would have a, constitutional crisis or a political one, I didn't hear constitutional mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Lads, did Leo say we would have a, constitutional crisis or a political one, I didn't hear constitutional mentioned?

The clip I watched last night (think it was on rte news) political was the word I heard, but that holds no sway either, because holding another election to clarify the numbers could always happen.

That's not a political crisis though, that's just democracy, the political crisis I assume leo is referring to is if the shinners increase their numbers and the greens and FF decrease theirs.

Leo will be short a crutch then if that happens. But it's hardly a political crisis, just inconvenient for him and his cling to power.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There are some pretty obvious issues (or at least you'd think they are obvious) with having another general election right now and it is highly unlikely one would happen in the near future. Hence FG would have to continue on in their caretaker capacity for some more months. Hence the political "crisis".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Yurt! wrote: »
    You haven't covered yourself in glory the past few posts. The way you framed the question, it's not just obvious to me, it's obvious to everyone else reading this you're laboring under delusions about the constitution and the President's powers.

I'm enjoying listening to one of the forum's most prickly and rude posters talk about manners.

Keep digging.

In terms of rude, click on your name and check your posts.

Seems you cover up for your ignorance with rudeness. Then get the hump when called out on it.

McMurphy wrote: »
    The clip I watched last night (think it was on rte news) political was the word I heard, but that holds no sway either, because holding another election to clarify the numbers could always happen.

That's not a political crisis though, that's just democracy, the political crisis I assume leo is referring to is if the shinners increase their numbers and the greens and FF decrease theirs.

Leo will be short a crutch then if that happens. But it's hardly a political crisis, just inconvenient for him and his cling to power.

I agree.
    I was busy yesterday and just caught snippets of news, I seen here a constitutional crisis being discussed, just wondering did I miss something or was it being exaggerated by some.

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »
    There are some pretty obvious issues (or at least you'd think they are obvious) with having another general election right now and it is highly unlikely one would happen in the near future. Hence FG would have to continue on in their caretaker capacity for some more months. Hence the political "crisis".

Plenty of other issues, incuding the fact we ran an election and couldnt form a government after it. Most countries would call that a political crisis.

Seemingly some people dont think so. Mostly to suit an idiotic agenda because they think SF will step up this time and go into government. Problem is SF have fingers/toes and everything crossed that FF/FG/Greens form a government because they are incapable of

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Faugheen wrote: »
    I could actually see Michael D Higgins refusing to dissolve the Dail if it came to it, without any real attempts to talk to Sinn Fein first.

To what end? Every party is perfectly within their rights to refuse to talk to any other party. Refusing to dissolve the Dáil would simply make things worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Keep digging.

In terms of rude, click on your name and check your posts.

Seems you cover up for your ignorance with rudeness. Then get the hump when called out on it.

I'm actually having quite a bit of fun with you whether you realize it or not.

You waded into the thread (again) seeking bully people, and dropped a very basic clanger displaying ignorance of the constitution when you constantly prattle on about civics education . And you're doubling down on being wrong with every post. This will keep going as long as you keep at it.

For a 'clever boy' (tm), you sure as hell don't know what you're on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Patser

Curious:

I know the Leo ruled out completely FG going in to power with SF - and tbf they would be strange bedfellows - but has Martin ever officially ruled out FF and SF, they'd be slightly more closely aligned and would have more numbers than anything with FG.

FF, Sf and SDs maybe - or SF, FF, Greens?

What are you waffling about? that is some spin.

Why would FG start making statement about SF gaining seats and FF/Greens losing in an election that hasn't even been called?

Seriously how are you coming up with this muck? it really have gone past the level of stupidity now coming from SF supporters.

If another election and SF get more seats what exactly are they going to do? name me out the layout of a government with SF? which politicians will look after what area?

It quickly falls apart doesnt it?

• Advertisement

Patser wrote: »
    Curious:

I know the Leo ruled out completely FG going in to power with SF - and tbf they would be strange bedfellows - but has Martin ever officially ruled out FF and SF, they'd be slightly more closely aligned and would have more numbers than anything with FG.

It was ruled out straight away.

Even IF MM said he wanted, it would never get past a party vote.

Curious:

When would this happen, in the current Dail or after an election?

When would this happen, in the current Dail or after an election?

They could, if this agreement doesn't work. Join FF/SF etc and try and form a government with those parties. They would not have to go back to an election.

But at that stage they would have to go back to election. FF have clearly said they will not go into government with SF.

SF dont want to go into government so no option left

It is either the current FF/FG/Greens or another election at the cost of millions.

You waded into the thread (again) seeking bully people, and dropped a very basic clanger displaying ignorance of the constitution when you constantly prattle on about civics education . And you're doubling down on being wrong with every post. This will keep going as long as you keep at it.

I learned this in cspe at junior cert level......

we really need to make that a leaving cert subject tbh....this is like the time some posters taught ceann comhairle being auto reelected was a SF conspiracy

I learned this in cspe at junior cert level......

we really need to make that a leaving cert subject tbh....this is like the time some posters taught ceann comhairle being auto reelected was a SF conspiracy

Your confusing me with someone else. I just said that FF had the most seats after the election which is true

It was the SF supporters who seem to like grasping at straws nearly had a hert attack because the ceann comhairle was not voted in and just retained his seat. Still didnt change the fact FF had more seats.

They really should bring in the basic skills of syntax and capital letters to Leaving cert if you ask me.

Your still digging this hole. Your failure to answer the question when you made a boo boo tells its own story. Its getting pathetic now but keep going.

Podge_irl wrote: »

Is the Siteserv inquiry still due to reach its conclusion by the end of June? and mistakes made in the nursing homes being aired before a new election could be a political crisis alright if FG don't come out of either smelling of roses.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Your still digging this hole. Your failure to answer the question when you made a boo boo tells its own story. Its getting pathetic now but keep going.

Your question was silly, and remains silly.

Is the Siteserv inquiry still due to reach its conclusion by the end of June? and mistakes made in the nursing homes being aired before a new election could be a political crisis alright if FG don't come out of either smelling of roses.

If all else fails, lets talk about Denis O'Brien....aboslutely f**king ridiculous at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Faugheen wrote: »
    No, it doesn’t.

If they were utterly despised they wouldn’t have got elected.

Fact is in the two examples you have presented, Fine Gael got more votes than Sinn Fein in those constituencies. You literally can’t twist that in any other way.

Once again, Shinners with no idea how the system works spewing lies to look intelligent.

On first count Sinn Féin’s John Brady got 17,297 25% of the vote in the constituency. Three FG candidates got 15,384 combined and two got eliminated. Great success!

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2020/wicklow/

• Advertisement

Your question was silly, and remains silly.

I take that as a compliment from you to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

If all else fails, lets talk about Denis O'Brien....aboslutely f**king ridiculous at this stage

Why don't you wheel out the victims again or are they put into storage now for another few months/years?

They could, if this agreement doesn't work. Join FF/SF etc and try and form a government with those parties. They would not have to go back to an election.

But at that stage they would have to go back to election. FF have clearly said they will not go into government with SF.

SF dont want to go into government so no option left

It is either the current FF/FG/Greens or another election at the cost of millions.

Better that than an innefectivex govt or a bad one maybe.
    If the only reason for forming a Govt is because its better than the cost of another election its hardly ideal is it.
    This is like schoolish bullying, trying to influence your peers through pressure.
    If you overlook a not insignificant political grouping completely and say that the only alternative is a gathering of other groupings or else, that's just trying to exhert political pressure.
    IMO Leo should have kept his gob shut, let the process take its course before saying there would be a political crisis, it could backfire on him.
    The greens are volatile and could react with hostility to his pressure.

Siteserv inquiry is due to publish its findings by June 30th - less than two weeks time.

If (I said if) it doesn't reflect well on the FG led govt of the time, and we need to go to the polls soon afterwards, if you think that will not cost FG votes, all I can say is God bless your naivety.

Would definitely be in their favour to try get a new govt bedded in beforehand.

Better that than an innefectivex govt or a bad one maybe.
    If the only reason for forming a Govt is because its better than the cost of another election its hardly ideal is it.
    This is like schoolish bullying, trying to influence your peers through pressure.
    If you overlook a not insignificant political grouping completely and say that the only alternative is a gathering of other groupings or else, that's just trying to exhert political pressure.
    IMO Leo should have kept his gob shut, let the process take its course before saying there would be a political crisis, it could backfire on him.
    The greens are volatile and could react with hostility to his pressure.

TO be honest I dont see any bullyboy tactics. FF/FG/Greens now have to agree internally. All of the parties will be aware if this doesnt go forward then it will be another election. The party that doesn't vote for it will run the risk of having the finger pointed at it and costing the country millions on the back of one of the biggest financial disasters to hit Ireland.

It would be a PR nightmare. Not sure what the issue is with the Greens, first they are going to ruin us all but FG signed up to the Paris agreement and any party that goes into government, including SF, will need to implement a green plan.

Now they are volatile? based on what? snippet in rags of newspapers abotu Eamonn Ryan without actually telling the full story.

If anhy party is volatile you would need to point the finger at SF, they shut down the government for 3 years in NI to bicker with the DUP, since it has reopened they have done nothing to improve. They have a number of politicians who calling them volatile is been nice, image Violet Anne if she was Minister for XYZ, sitting on facebook slagging off people.......

Siteserv inquiry is due to publish its findings by June 30th - less than two weeks time.

If (I said if) it doesn't reflect well on the FG led govt of the time, and we need to go to the polls soon afterwards, if you think that will not cost FG votes, all I can say is God bless your naivety.

Would definitely be in their favour to try get a new govt bedded in beforehand.

Why?

What exactly is the inquiry going to do? take Siteserv back from Denis?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Curious:

Martin would do business with SF, his party wouldn't.

Your confusing me with someone else. I just said that FF had the most seats after the election which is true

It was the SF supporters who seem to like grasping at straws nearly had a hert attack because the ceann comhairle was not voted in and just retained his seat. Still didnt change the fact FF had more seats.

Never said it was yous....just i do remember 1 poster having a meltdown over it

They really should bring in the basic skills of syntax and capital letters to Leaving cert if you ask me.

Pretty sure it is already?

Why?

What exactly is the inquiry going to do? take Siteserv back from Denis?

Why what?

Why would it potentially cost them votes?

Is this a serious question?

• Advertisement

Pretty sure it is already?

You didn't take that subject so ? :P:P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement