Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

A fair summing up here. This is why Leo and Michael are squirming around trying to hold on to control. This is how we are run and I think the penny is dropping for many. The omerta around this stuff has been suspected for a long tme. It has been blown wide open for all to see by two journalists who had to cancel their own wedding.

https://twitter.com/SJTHolland/status/1296800571660304385
    Yes. I am over 50, but I am shocked at the whole cozy relationship between TDs, EU commissioners, judges and rte media personalities.
    I thought this was finished 10 years ago.
    There is a horrible smell starting to come out of Irish politics again.
    And RTE have questions to answer about their "impartial" news articles.
    This is not about Clifden anymore. It's about the elite of Irish society keeping ordinary people in check.
    If EU want Ireland onboard, they should sack Mr Hogan. Then we need a clear out of over paid media "handlers". We elect TDs. .... they can speak their own thoughts. If they need a PR consultant they are not fit for public office.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,230 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Scoondal wrote: »
    Yes. I am over 50, but I am shocked at the whole cozy relationship between TDs, EU commissioners, judges and rte media personalities.
    This is not about Clifden anymore. It's about the elite of Irish society keeping ordinary people in check.
    If EU want Ireland onboard, they should sack Mr Hogan. Then we need a clear out of over paid media "handlers". We elect TDs. .... they can speak their own thoughts. If they need a PR consultant they are not fit for public office.

The embargoed email...basically the government TRYING to control the story and our journalists played along. Need you know more?
    Who got that email and why are they complying so easily in controlling how this unfolds?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Whats with the embargoed email? Im not getting it, why would it be ok to release it at midnight but not an hour before??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Might as well add Opus Dei to that list according to what I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Whats with the embargoed email? Im not getting it, why would it be ok to release it at midnight but not an hour before??

Sunday papers would be my guess?

• Advertisement

If someone wrote a tv drama along these lines, reviewers would say ... good but not really believable. Ireland is a political ****hole of a country.
    France and Philippines are far advanced countries from my experience.

The embargoed email...basically the government TRYING to control the story and our journalists played along. Need you know more?
    Who got that email and why are they complying so easily in controlling how this unfolds?

The journalists are being told WHEN to publish facts.
    Other journalists are being told NOT to ask certain questions.
    What is going on in Ireland. This is not the place that I grew up in.
    East Germany and stazi is comparable.

State censorship. You know, like North Korea ... the media there can't ask or say things either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

The journalists are being told WHEN to publish facts.
    Other journalists are being told NOT to ask certain questions.
    What is going on in Ireland. This is not the place that I grew up in.
    East Germany and stazi is comparable.

I would imagine it was worse under Haughey. Maybe not as bad now but more widespread with the journos trying to keep perspective employers sweet.

If Phil Hogan has lied, he should be sacked. No reignation allowed.
    EU needs to step up and ask questions. Ireland is still a committed member but if we see an unelected bureaucracy telling Irish people that it is okay.... then we will turn against the unelected EU "ministers".

• Advertisement

If Phil Hogan has lied, he should be sacked. No reignation allowed.
    EU needs to step up and ask questions. Ireland is still a committed member but if we see an unelected bureaucracy telling Irish people that it is okay.... then we will turn against the unelected EU "ministers".

They kept Dara Murphy so they don't have a high standard.

Bowie wrote: »
    They kept Dara Murphy so they don't have a high standard.

Are you trying deflecting ?
    The EU commission is like a government cabinet. They said Friday - nothing to see about Mr Hogan. Irish government asks him "to consider his position".
    I do not think that Mr Hogan should "consider" anything. Von de Leyen should sack him on Sunday.

The Philippines has eradicated corruption. The Philippines now would arrest such elite people. Ireland is now politically worse than The Philippines.
    I never thought that I would see this again in Ireland. I should go back to a more normal country.

Are you trying deflecting ?
    The EU commission is like a government cabinet. They said Friday - nothing to see about Mr Hogan. Irish government asks him "to consider his position".
    I do not think that Mr Hogan should "consider" anything. Von de Leyen should sack him on Sunday.

You said the EU needs to step up and ask questions. They kept Murphy. In others words they'll likely do nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

It's entirely standard practice in news organisations and those who interact with them.

For example if Government wants to draw attention to an issue they may issue a Press Release on the day some event is occurring; however to give journalists time to research and/or write their stories they will give them the release 'early' with an attached embargo.

In this case the Government wanted the story to coincide with the start of the working week and presumably the day that the request to resume the Dail is actually made.

The people reading into the embargo belong in the Conspiracy Theories forum.

ronivek wrote: »
    It's entirely standard practice in news organisations and those who interact with them.

For example if Government wants to draw attention to an issue they may issue a Press Release on the day some event is occurring; however to give journalists time to research and/or write their stories they will give them the release 'early' with an attached embargo.

In this case the Government wanted the story to coincide with the start of the working week and presumably the day that the request to resume the Dail is actually made.

Really ?
    The government is controlling our news.
    What is going on in Ireland now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Really ?
    The government is controlling our news.
    What is going on in Ireland now ?

What are you talking about? The Government tells the media on Sunday "hey we're recalling the Dail to resume around the time the schools are back; just thought you should know, but please don't publish it until Monday morning" and you're losing your mind.

They could easily have not said a word and recalled the Dail without telling anyone at all if they wanted it to be a secret; that's not the purpose of a media embargo. It gives the media time to write their stories (including newspapers to potentially run a story on Monday morning editions), and it also means competing news agencies are given a chance to publish their stories at the same time to prevent favouritism.

What are you talking about? The Government tells the media on Sunday "hey we're recalling the Dail to resume around the time the schools are back; just thought you should know, but please don't publish it until Monday morning" and you're losing your mind.

They could easily have not said a word and recalled the Dail without telling anyone at all if they wanted it to be a secret; that's not the purpose of a media embargo. It gives the media time to write their stories (including newspapers to potentially run a story on Monday morning editions), and it also means competing news agencies are given a chance to publish their stories at the same time to prevent favouritism.

The government are telling a supposedly independant media what to do ?
    Does anyone think that this is normal in a democratic republic ?

Did you live in Singapore ? That is the normal way there.
    This is Ireland.

Rubbish. Not standard practice in a normal republic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Wonder how ff or fg will do in an opinion poll when it's done in the next few weeks, especially given recent events and if schools reopening goes badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,579 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

votecounts wrote:
    Wonder how ff or fg will do in an opinion poll when it's done in the next few weeks, especially given recent events and if schools reopening goes badly.

Badly of course, but I wouldn't be worrying too much about them, many will remain in support of them, the government probably won't collapse, both will probably do okay in the next ge

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

votecounts wrote: »
    doesn't really matter, won't be an election for at least 2 years because no one would be dumb enough to hold one during a pandemic

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Embargoed press releases are standard across many industries and not just politics, and in every open society you can think of.

A journalist can break the embargo if they so choose, but they'll find themselves cut-out of press releases and will be frozen out by press officers / PR teams. That's the game unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    doesn't really matter, won't be an election for at least 2 years because no one would be dumb enough to hold one during a pandemic

Japan, Singapore and South Korea have had elections during the pandemic. It can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Govt looking under pressure again.
    Dail recalled early, no harm I suppose, but really when we need decisive, cohesive and clear govt action, we are going to be listening to opposition questioning of every small detail.
    The **** stirrers in action!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Dail recalled early, no harm I suppose, but really when we need decisive, cohesive and clear govt action, we are going to be listening to opposition questioning of every small detail.

I wonder would anyone have any idea what a better government might look like? Which parties/independents might form that government?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,230 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Small details? :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yurt! wrote: »
    Japan, Singapore and South Korea have had elections during the pandemic. It can be done.
    Yep, just throw on a mask and in you go. We might even get a high turnout! I don't think there will be one, not unless the schools return is one unholy mess. Even then I can't see Michel D letting them all off on a campaign. If they can get to Budget planning they should see out the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭horse7

Sinn Fein will definitely have a good outing, the longer the coalition exists the more of a mess they make, and sinn Fein can sit back and reap the rewards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement