Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Well the Garda was murdered while on duty defending the Irish people and upholding our laws. It makes sense that members of government would be present to show respect publicly for a man who made the ultimate sacrifice for ireland.

Bobby storey was not that.

Apart from that I guess it was similar in that it was a funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

McMurphy wrote: »
    Ahem..

Muddy the water, deflect, false equivalences...etc..
    Par of the course.

SF can deny other families giving their loved ones a send-off and you seem to be ok with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Well the Garda was murdered while on duty defending the Irish people and upholding our laws. It makes sense that members of government would be present to show respect publicly for a man who made the ultimate sacrifice for ireland.

What's Covids view on this? The discussion is on flouting social distancing not which family of the deceased deserve the least vitriol.

Bowie wrote: »
    What's Covids view on this? The discussion is on flouting social distancing not which family of the deceased deserve the least vitriol.

Neither deserve vitriol, did I suggest such a discussion?

Neither deserve vitriol, did I suggest such a discussion?

You were comparing the men like Covid would treat the mourners differently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The virus doesn't care about any of that. It will infect mourners of a funeral regardless of their political allegiance, religious beliefs, colour or creed. Not sure why you mentioned it tbh.

markodaly wrote: »
    Muddy the water, deflect, false equivalences...etc..
    Par of the course.

SF can deny other families giving their loved ones a send-off and you seem to be ok with that.

So you're not going to answer it either?
    Do you think Flanagan/Feighan/Ring or members of AGS who could be seen breaking social distancing guidelines at Garda Horkans funeral should be sacked/resign from their posts and if not, why do you think Sinn Fein members should - but those in attendance at Garda Horkans funeral should not,

It is a sad reflection on the intelligence levels of posters who brought up something their own ministers and TDs had been at days before - to call for opposition party's to resign for doing the exact same thing.

Especially so, as one predated the other - and their wasn't a word from anyone.

Gumption anyone?

I mentioned it because members of government had a duty to attend a murdered garda's funeral. It was their job to attend. No such official requirement for bobby storey. Now both should have had restrictions respected in my opinion but for one of the men their was a duty to attend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

I mentioned it because members of government had a duty to attend a murdered garda's funeral. It was their job to attend. No such official requirement for bobby storey. Now both should have had restrictions respected in my opinion but for one of the men their was a duty to attend.

So your saying its ok to not social distance at one funeral but not another because of the circumstances of the funeral?

Any chance you played golf last week?

Thats odd. We tell families to keep the numbers down if allowed attend at all and socially distance if they do but a couple of politicians are exempt? Again, covid doesn't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The difference is some of us know it would have been expected for certain people to have paid their respects to Garda Horkan, by attending his funeral.

Some of us also know that a funeral is a very emotive event, mourners can be absent minded for obvious reasons, and so a blind eye could be turned to certain covid restrictions not being fully adhered to, to the letter of the law so to speak.

Some however want their cake and to be left in peace to eat it, expecting one side to resign or be fired for something others are doing, but they apparently can be excused.

For the record, I don't agree with how Storey's funeral was handled, but he was a very popular figure within Sinn Fein, and the sheer numbers of mourners in attendance is evident of that fact.

The mourners seen breaking the social distancing guidelines were wrong for breaking them but it was a funeral, and therefore a temporary blind eye should be turned.

I apply the same standards to the mourners at Garda Horkans funeral, that isn't wanting to give anyone special treatment over the other - it's me saying both cannot be treated any differently to the other.

It's the exact opposite of what a few on here are thing to suggest. It's uncomfortable for them, but they'll have to suck it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

The difference is some of us know it would have been expected for certain people to have paid their respects to Garda Horkan, by attending his funeral.

Some of us also know that a funeral is a very emotive event, mourners can be absent minded for obvious reasons, and so a blind eye could be turned to certain covid restrictions not being fully adhered to, to the letter of the law so to speak.

Some however want their cake and to be left in peace to eat it, expecting one side to resign or be fired for something others are doing, but they apparently can be excused.

For the record, I don't agree with how Storey's funeral was handled, but he was a very popular figure within Sinn Fein, and the sheer numbers of mourners in attendance is evident of that fact.

The mourners seen breaking the social distancing guidelines were wrong for breaking them but it was a funeral, and therefore a temporary blind eye should be turned.

I apply the same standards to the mourners at Garda Horkans funeral, that isn't wanting to give anyone special treatment over the other - it's me saying both cannot be treated any differently to the other.

It's the exact opposite of what a few on here are thing to suggest. It's uncomfortable for them, but they'll have to suck it up.

God how do yiz lads keep going without sleep?

Of course I hope all this civility around Funerals doesn't come back to bite yiz in the arse!
    If the midnight oil is being burned now yiz will be wrecked before aera wrongdoing is confirmed at all.

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/call-for-psni-to-release-details-on-probe-into-storey-funeral-row-39475333.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1298201378951749632?s=19

Hopefully this will be the end of that boil on the arse of humanity Phil Hogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,227 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1298204290012643328

Who here agrees that any journalist sent to interview him should declare publicly that they have never attended an event like the Oireachtas Golf event?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Ahem..

And you didn't answer the question regardless. Let's try again.

Yes or no please..

In your view, the virus doesn't circulate in Lanzarote among lowly councillors from Monaghan, so excuse the rest of us, if we ignore your double standards on the circulation of the virus.

The distinct impression has been given by Leo, Michael and now von der Leyen that there is more and more out there.

L&M gave him latitude to resign and he wouldn't and now VDL is doing the same.
    The net is closing.

How this is being compared to a beer in the park, or the breaching of social distancing at funerals is beyond me.

This is about an outright challenge to the state and any notions of accountability by rogue members of FG and judicial appointees of FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

The distinct impression has been given by Leo, Michael and now von der Leyen that there is more and more out there.

The net is closing.

How this is being compared to a beer in the park, or the breaching of social distancing at funerals is beyond me.

This is about an outright challenge to the state and any notions of accountability by rogue members of FG and judicial appointees of FG.

Really "an outright challenge to the State"?

A man frothing at the mouth with rage and hysteria because of a Golf Outing. The same man spends every other waking hour here justifying , excusing and celebrating a campaign of murder and thuggery and promoting the laughable collection of thugs, con artists and charlatans in Sinn Fein but the Golf Outing is the "challenge to the State".

What happened to the chimp sneering "we broke the Free State"?

Think Hogan and Woulfe should go as their behaviour is below the standard expected but the screams of vengeance from a party with no standards at all is just a sick joke

Truthvader wrote: »
    Really "an outright challenge to the State"?

A man frothing at the mouth with rage and hysteria because of a Golf Outing. The same man spends every other waking hour here justifying , excusing and celebrating a campaign of murder and thuggery and promoting the laughable collection of thugs, con artists and charlatans in Sinn Fein but the Golf Outing is the "challenge to the State".

What happened to the chimp sneering "we broke the Free State"?

Think Hogan and Woulfe should go as their behaviour is below the standard expected but the screams of vengeance from a party with no standards at all is just a sick joke

I have been quite clear and consistent about my reasons for voting for SF.
    They had a 'bar' to reach before I voted for them...I have posted quite a bit on this.

You cannot keep pointing to SF during this crisis for the state...it has gone well beyond issues around Covid 19.

I.E. Deflection will not cut it.

Of course I hope all this civility around Funerals doesn't come back to bite yiz in the arse!
    If the midnight oil is being burned now yiz will be wrecked before aera wrongdoing is confirmed at all.

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/call-for-psni-to-release-details-on-probe-into-storey-funeral-row-39475333.html

You seem confused. The query is why be critical of one funeral thats not socially distanced but not another? I've repeatedly stated the Garda, Flano, Ring, MLMD and MON should have socially distanced. Thats a done deal IMO, all remains are the few hypocrites condemn one but not the other. Using one to deflect from the golf piss up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Looks like the events are being interpreted well in the German press!

https://twitter.com/TVsCarlKinsella/status/1298188461174816768?s=19

Scoundrel wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1298201378951749632?s=19

Hopefully this will be the end of that boil on the arse of humanity Phil Hogan.

once again the only possibility of being held to account must come from abroad.
    I await the results of the Project Eagle investigation too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

The net is closing.

My guess is he stayed a night in Kildare before the trip to Galway.
    He also did not stay the night in the Station House hotel - he had the dinner and then went to another better hotel (Abbeyglen or Ballynahinch) to sleep.

The net is closing.

Its dishonesty Francie. Those making the comparison between the storey funeral and the golf piss up refuse to compare both funerals.
    Its because the hits keep coming and rather than honestly discuss them they choose parlour games.
    Thankfully we have the EU and other outside parties to keep FF/FG in check to some extent. As the golf piss up showed the elites are in bed together and ignorant towards the public good. 'They're all in this together'.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Poor David 'up da ra!' Cullinane wont last long in this game with these gaffs.
    An external senior police officer was appointed to oversee the investigation after claims that Sinn Fein deputy First Minister Michelle O'Neill and Finance Minister Conor Murphy went against public health advice at the event in west Belfast on June 30.

Sinn Fein has also been accused of double standards in recent days, after TD David Cullinane said any ministers breaking public health guidelines should resign.

Is David looking for the resignation of SF NI ministers so? Did he get the OK from the boys in West Belfast first? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just to sum up the Blueshirt position on this now

Bobby Storey funeral -no social distancing - Mary Lou needs to resign
    Garda funeral - no social distancing - Charlie Flanagan doesnt need to resign
    The hypocrisy is self evident.

Fair play to you McMurphy for putting up the photos of Charlie Flanagan and senior Gardai not social distancing, theres lots of hand wringing going on now. It has exposed that the Blueshorts arent bothered about social distancing at all, they just have an unhealthy obsession with Sinn Fein that brings the hypocrite out in them.

Unless Im proven wrong and they are calling for Charlie Flanagan to resign? Somehow I doubt it, clearly whats good for the goose isnt good for the gander :rolleyes:

Its dishonesty Francie. Those making the comparison between the storey funeral and the golf piss up refuse to compare both funerals.
    Its because the hits keep coming and rather than honestly discuss them they choose parlour games.
    Thankfully we have the EU and other outside parties to keep FF/FG in check to some extent. As the golf piss up showed the elites are in bed together and ignorant towards the public good. 'They're all in this together'.

Watching them stamping their feet and insisting a breach of social distancing guidelines at a funeral is the same as what has gone on here has been entertaining, I have to say.

But this is a serious challenge to the state IMO and it has to be played right or we will never end the cronyism and golden circles.
    The interconnectedness of those at the top in this country has to be tackled and parameters and lines in the sand redrawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

once again the only possibility of being held to account must come from abroad.
    I await the results of the Project Eagle investigation too.

Baldy is either dead or dying, the rest are in non extradition countries, money's gone with no hope of retrieval all we can do is gather up whatever NAMA staff we can link to it and throw them in prison for twenty years.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,570 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

markodaly wrote: »
    Poor David 'up da ra!' Cullinane wont last long in this game with these gaffs.

Is David looking for the resignation of SF NI ministers so? Did he get the OK from the boys in West Belfast first? :pac:

Poor Dottser in a spot of bother here.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

I wonder why we haven't seen photos from the Clifden Elite coronaparty? Cameras banned?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I wonder why we haven't seen photos from the Clifden Elite coronaparty? Cameras banned?

The +8s and +10s would cause a lot of red faces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

I have been quite clear and consistent about my reasons for voting for SF.
    They had a 'bar' to reach before I voted for them...I have posted quite a bit on this.

You cannot keep pointing to SF during this crisis for the state...it has gone well beyond issues around Covid 19.

I.E. Deflection will not cut it.

As per previous threads I invite everyone to access your posting history to judge for themselves what you are prepared to justify and glorify

Also, no deflection; I think Hogan and Woulfe should go

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement