Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I see Hogan's idea of 'adhering to guidelines' excuses numerous golf outings and depends on an interpretation of important business.
    In his statement, Mr Hogan said he adhered to the Government's Covid-19 guidelines at all times while in Ireland.

He also states that he fully accepts that it is "abundantly clear that the event should not have been held" and that he should not have attended this dinner.

In the details he provided to Ms von der Leyen, Mr Hogan says he arrived in Ireland on 31 July and travelled to his temporary residence in Kildare, before being admitted to a Dublin hospital on 5 August.

Mr Hogan said he tested negative for Covid-19 while in hospital and was discharged the next day before returning to his residence in Co Kildare. "As I had received a negative Covid-19 test while in hospital, I was not under any subsequent legal requirement to self-isolate or quarantine," he said in his statement.

He said he travelled from Co Kildare to Co Kilkenny on 7 August, the day the Government reimposed restrictions on the county. Mr Hogan said he travelled "before the local lockdown rules came into effect".

The Commissioner said he travelled to Dublin on 12 August for "essential work reasons", and while there he met with Tánaiste Leo Varadkar and Minister Robert Troy.

Mr Hogan said he played golf in Adare, Co Limerick the following day and returned to Kilkenny.

He said that on 17 August he travelled from Co Kilkenny to Co Galway via Co Kildare. In the statement Mr Hogan said he "stopped briefly" in Co Kildare at the property he had been staying in to collect some "personal belongings and essential papers".

Mr Hogan said he played golf in Clifden, Co Galway on 18 and 19 August, and attended a formal dinner on 19 August.

He said he returned from Galway to Kildare on 21 August "to collect my remaining personal belongings", and stayed there overnight to catch an early morning flight to his primary residence in Brussels the next morning.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2020/0825/1161161-phil-hogan/

Seems the event was wrong.

However...
    However, asked if Mr Hogan would have to resign, the spokesperson said that it was "absolutely premature" to talk about what sanction he may or may not face once Ms von der Leyen had concluded her findings.

One official said there had been intense contacts between the President's office and Mr Hogan's cabinet, with documents being provided as requested.

It is understood these included the guidelines on Covid-19 compliance issued by the Irish Hotels Federation, and a map of Ireland showing Kilkenny in relation to other counties.

It is understood the formal Commission response to the controversy could come as soon as later this afternoon.

You can imagine Hogan having to explain himself isn't sitting well with his sense of entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Post my entire exchange with that poster and let's see what people think.

Explaining why something may have happened is not justifying or glorifying it.
    Analysts and historians do it all the time.

If you want my 'personal opinion' on what happened in Warrington - it was a shocking and unforgivable crime...as every single act of violence was in the conflict/war from the beginning. Including the crime of artificially creating a majority for sectarian bigots to exploit. Whose sectarian bigoted state was finally eradicated by the rights written down and achieved in the GFA.

Precisely as slippery and evasive as I have come to expect from all Sinn Fein /IRA supporters.

You challenged me to copy "one of these posts". I did so. You got caught out.

So now the game moves on and you pretend that something else is what is really relevant. I have no doubt that you could produce any number of posts confirming practically any position on any topic from time to time because at root there is a complete absence of integrity. So any position can be maintained subject to requirements at various times.

No interest in your new improved whiter than ever "personal opinion" on Warrington. I have no doubt you are well capable of wringing your hands in fake anguish like Gerry Adams giving his " we all suffered speech" (while being personally responsible for most of the suffering.) So jog on with your "conflict/ war" fantasy justification bullcrap. If you genuinely thought any of it was a "shocking and unforgiveable crime" you wouldn't be able vote for the people who committed it.

And I am still waiting for you to itemise one right "written down and achieved" in the GFA which was not available before the GFA (save the release of thugs and killers)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Bowie wrote: »
    You can imagine Hogan having to explain himself isn't sitting well with his sense of entitlement.

This is what this is really all about, Hogan won't lose his job but the fact that he has been dragged through the mud and has had to explain himself to the President of the EU will have him fuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,221 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Truthvader wrote: »
    Precisely as slippery and evasive as I have come to expect from all Sinn Fein /IRA supporters.

You challenged me to copy "one of these posts". I did so. You got caught out.

So now the game moves on and you pretend that something else is what is really relevant. I have no doubt that you could produce any number of posts confirming practically any position on any topic from time to time because at root there is a complete absence of integrity. So any position can be maintained subject to requirements at various times.

No interest in your new improved whiter than ever "personal opinion" on Warrington. I have no doubt you are well capable of wringing your hands in fake anguish like Gerry Adams giving his " we all suffered speech" (while being personally responsible for most of the suffering.) So jog on with your "conflict/ war" fantasy justification bullcrap. If you genuinely thought any of it was a "shocking and unforgiveable crime" you wouldn't be able vote for the people who committed it.

And I am still waiting for you to itemise one right "written down and achieved" in the GFA which was not available before the GFA (save the release of thugs and killers)

You haven't a leg to stand on here.

I didn't glorify anything.

If you think I am glorifying violence...take it up with the mods. Of course you won't do that, you will just make impossible to disprove claims.

Tell you what...next time you see me glorifying violence, challenge me and we'll take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,570 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

You haven't a leg to stand on here.

I didn't glorify anything.

If you think I am glorifying violence...take it up with the mods. Of course you won't do that, you will just make impossible to disprove claims.

Tell you what...next time you see me glorifying violence, challenge me and we'll take it from there.

Heh heh a well used response Francie, I’ll have to hand that to you.

Good try.

• Advertisement

Floppybits wrote: »
    This is what this is really all about, Hogan won't lose his job but the fact that he has been dragged through the mud and has had to explain himself to the President of the EU will have him fuming.

The only good that might come from this is an election sees FF/FG sent packing. We know from past instances FF/FG will not clean up their act especially when their golfing chums are the alleged 'watchdogs'.
    Country deserves better than these 'best people'.

maurice-hickey-2.jpg

Heh heh a well used response Francie, I’ll have to hand that to you.

Good try.

I couldn't be arsed getting into a 'I said...you said' with somebody who is so far up in the high moral clouds they are out of sight.

Let him/her challenge me in 'real time' when I glorify violence or take my glorification of violence up with a mod. Truthwader does state very clearly that it is evident in my post history after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

Great interview by Tony on RTE News. Phil 'I don't accept that' being his arrogant self.

Amazingly SF weren't mentioned once. Hard to fathom.

What did the blinkered FG boyos think?

Great interview by Tony on RTE News. Phil 'I don't accept that' being his arrogant self.

Something about Shergar I'd imagine.

Not a good look for the country.
    Phil reckons because he was Covid negative he was immune to catching and spreading it in the several counties he visited.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,570 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I couldn't be arsed getting into a 'I said...you said' with somebody who is so far up in the high moral clouds they are out of sight.

Let him/her challenge me in 'real time' when I glorify violence or take my glorification of violence up with a mod. Truthwader does state very clearly that it is evident in my post history after all.

Doubt he would have the energy to trawl through 34k posts F, and bother his bollox trying to dance on the head of a pin.

Nah, he’d be wise to give that one a miss, unless he has six months to waste.

Broad brush Francis..... Broad brush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

It just reminded me of Michelle o Neill and Marylou after the funeral.
    Then up pops Pearse for an interview, and never batted an eye as he called on Hogan to resign.
    Got in a great dig about the do being for vulture funders and insurance reps too.
    Have to admire his point making

Then up pops Pearse for an interview, and never batted an eye as he called on Hogan to resign.
    Got in a great dig about the do being for vulture funders and insurance reps too.

Do you think MLMD, MON, Flanagan and Ring should resign?

Be poor if the opposition didn't comment on the latest hijinks and shenanigans from messrs. FF/FG.

The Greens seem awfully quiet on all of this. TBF, did anyone wake Eamo?

Leo, Michael and finally the sleeping beauty knocking the ball back into Ursula's court.
    They want the man 'who did nothing wrong' gone, what do the FG FF and Green supporters think?

EgStI2cXkAAcHkT?format=png&name=medium

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Leo, Michael and finally the sleeping beauty knocking the ball back into Ursula's court.
    They want the man 'who did nothing wrong' gone, what do the FG FF and Green supporters think?

The ball has never been anywhere but her court :rolleyes:

Podge_irl wrote: »
    The ball has never been anywhere but her court :rolleyes:

Optics you reckon? I suppose Leo fancies himself as a master of that.

Dunno what to make of it, unprecedented territory.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Optics you reckon? I suppose Leo fancies himself as a master of that.

Dunno what to make of it, unprecedented territory.

Yes.

But then politics is half optics anyway. I think they should have never got themselves involved in what happens to him. But its also difficult to explain to people why they have no say in his outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

As opposed to a funeral for criminal thugs and psychopaths?

EgStI2cXkAAcHkT?format=png&name=medium

What exactly in that statement do you disagree with?

blanch152 wrote: »
    As opposed to a funeral for criminal thugs and psychopaths?

Do you believe Covid plays politics? Surely the same health issues apply to both funerals?

Whats your view on the golf piss up and the people who attended?

What exactly in that statement do you disagree with?

Nothing.

Then I am not one of those desperately pointing the other way to take attention away from this.

• Advertisement

Nothing.

Then I am not one of those desperately pointing the other way to take attention away from this.

Neither am I, in fact I am delighted that Hogan came clean on his exact move,ents, now is the time for the funeral goers to do the same.

Do you believe Covid plays politics? Surely the same health issues apply to both funerals?

Whats your view on the golf piss up and the people who attended?

I am mystified by your defence of Sinn Fein as a SD voter. Could you not just join normal people in condemning all of the politicians who broke the guidelines, including Mary-Lou, Hogan and Calleary? Is that too much to ask of a neutral? As a Green, I haven’t defended any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Neither am I, in fact I am delighted that Hogan came clean on his exact move,ents, now is the time for the funeral goers to do the same.

He hasn't. He's still clarifying. Even tonight. Also there's many attendees still unaccounted for.this story is only begining. You're very passionate for a Green supporter.

smurgen wrote: »
    He hasn't. He's still clarifying. Even tonight. Also there's many attendees still unaccounted for.this story is only begining. You're very passionate for a Green supporter.

Politicians or private individuals?

Hogan came clean?? Around the time he was correcting his lies for UVDL the Irish Times was breaking the story about Roscommon. :)

You couldn't write this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

The only good that might come from this is an election sees FF/FG sent packing.

We can live in hope. I think FG will be the lead party after the next election, then FF after that. Same as it ever was.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I am mystified by your defence of Sinn Fein as a SD voter. Could you not just join normal people in condemning all of the politicians who broke the guidelines, including Mary-Lou, Hogan and Calleary? Is that too much to ask of a neutral? As a Green, I haven’t defended any of them.

Spat my tea out there :D

Fair play blanch, you're great entertainment

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Spat my tea out there :D

Fair play blanch, you're great entertainment

Have to say I don’t get it. You have previously claimed to be a neutral, but unlike posters like me, you are defending some politicians that broke the Covid guidelines. For example, do you follow the example of McMurphy and say that the lowly councillor from Monaghan who went to Lanzarote did nothing wrong, or do you believe, like me, she should have the party whip removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Hogan came clean?? Around the time he was correcting his lies for UVDL the Irish Times was breaking the story about Roscommon. :)

You couldn't write this stuff.

What happened in Roscommon?

• Advertisement

What happened in Roscommon?

Phil was there but neglected to mention that as well as all the other stuff.

This is a FG member disgracing the country in the EU by being found out lying and covering his ass to save his job.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement