Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I mean, I don't think it is any of our business what jobs he gets, unless they are public jobs, then as taxpayers we can be pissed but a private individual working for a business. Who am I to say what he deserves, can he do the job? If they hire him it's their choice.

The likes of Gary Glitter and OJ Simpson are beating away sponsorships and job offers I imagine.

And no, I'm not equating what Hogan has done with either of them two, I'm just pointing out that no matter how talented you are in whatever area of the private world, if there is a stigma attached to your reputation, you might find it hard to get work.

The way I see things - FG haven't expelled him yet despite Leo's bravado, and with all the support he's been receiving from (what appear to be) FG supporters, so they should give him a chance to contest an election here somewhere and maybe aim for TD or ministerial positions again..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

McMurphy wrote: »
    The likes of Gary Glitter and OJ Simpson are beating away sponsorships and job offers I imagine.

And no, I'm not equating what Hogan has done with either of them two, I'm just pointing out that no matter how talented you are in whatever area of the private world, if there is a stigma attached to your reputation, you might find it hard to get work.

The way I see things - FG haven't expelled him yet despite Leo's bravado, and with all the support he's been receiving from (what appear to be) FG supporters, so they should give him a chance to contest an election here somewhere and maybe aim for TD or ministerial positions again..

He could join Sinn Fein!
    They would have gotten him off.

He could join Sinn Fein!

SF again? It's beginning to become a bit of a recurring theme from you Bishop, stock response kind of thing?

I think you're just bring purposely naive here though, tell me, do you think big Philos political outlook on life would be compatible with Sinn Feins? And if not what's the point in even mentioning them?

Phil fell on his sword it would seem, I wonder who's next?

I'm sure there's pun writers lining up witty retorts now in the anticipation that the greens will be calling on the wolf to go.

SF again? It's beginning to become a bit of a recurring theme from you Bishop, stock response kind of thing?

I think you're just bring purposely naive here though, tell me, do you think big Philos political outlook on life would be compatible with Sinn Feins? And if not what's the point in even mentioning them?

Phil fell on his sword it would seem, I wonder who's next?

I'm sure there's pun writers lining up witty retorts now in the anticipation that the greens will be calling on the wolf to go.

Not one bit more than mentioning Gary Glitter and OJ Simpson.
    So far as I know they were never involved in Irish politics, nor is big Phil accused with any type of crime that either was involved in.

There's a few in SF were allegedly involved in killing women, so maybe the comparison with OJ sits in there.
    After that it seems to have you rattled everytime SF is mentioned, take a chill pill, it was just sarcasm, maybe poor sarcasm, but your goat got out over it.

Not one bit more than mentioning Gary Glitter and OJ Simpson.
    So far as I know they were never involved in Irish politics, nor is big Phil accused with any type of crime that either was involved in.

But I gave a full explanation as to why they got a mention.....
    And no, I'm not equating what Hogan has done with either of them two, I'm just pointing out that no matter how talented you are in whatever area of the private world, if there is a stigma attached to your reputation, you might find it hard to get work

Maria Bailey as a CEO of an insurance company? Health and safety chief inspector?
    There's a few in SF were allegedly involved in killing women, so maybe the comparison with OJ sits in there.
    After that it seems to have you rattled everytime SF is mentioned, take a chill pill, it was just sarcasm, maybe poor sarcasm, but your goat got out over it.

I got the sarcasm bishop, I got it. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,220 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Isn't the appointment of the new commissioner in the gift of Michael Martin?

Why are most of the replacements being mention FG.

Surely FF are not gonna allow that huge signal of who is wearing the trousers in the coalition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

This is a different type of stigma.

For most politicians the only thing Hogan did wrong was getting caught. "One rule for me another for thee" is the closest thing to a shared principle in our political class.

Anyone hiring him will be hiring him to buy access and influence with that political class, here and in Europe; they couldn't care less about what he's done. The world is so full of big events at the moment that after a few months the bad smell on him will have dissipated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭joseywhales

So you are not equating but you are comparing, otherwise why mention their names? They were criminals he is not, is a good starting point. Most businesses would not hire someone with a serious criminal record but again it's none of our business what a private company might do for hiring. In terms of competency, you might be actually giving phil an over exuberant compliment, comparing him to OJ Simpson but maybe, I have no idea if he was good or bad at his job.

I think it's unlikely he would continue in politics, there isn't much left for him to do beyond taoiseach/tanaiste and that is unrealistic. Not every view point you hear has to be motivated by political affiliation - your comment regarding his support. I'm not sure why you even mention it. In fact I would support anyone from any party who is a private citizen without any criminal past to get a job of their choice, I think to do otherwise would be discrimination, I believe all people have a right to work.

So you are not equating but you are comparing, otherwise why mention their names? They were criminals he is not, is a good starting point. Most businesses would not hire someone with a serious criminal record but again it's none of our business what a private company might do for hiring. In terms of competency, you might be actually giving phil an over exuberant compliment, comparing him to OJ Simpson but maybe, I have no idea if he was good or bad at his job.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be employed by a private company, none of our business whatsoever, I just pointed out that there may be some stigma attached to him - you said "if they hire him, it's their choice" I agree, but I gave my reasoning for why some companies might possibly decide to keep away.
    I think it's unlikely he would continue in politics, there isn't much left for him to do beyond taoiseach/tanaiste and that is unrealistic. Not every view point you hear has to be motivated by political affiliation - your comment regarding his support. I'm not sure why you even mention it. In fact I would support anyone from any party who is a private citizen without any criminal past to get a job of their choice, I think to do otherwise would be discrimination, I believe all people have a right to work.

I mentioned him standing for an election here again because he still seems to be enjoying support from certain cohort of posters on these threads, who appear to be upset he's resigned, and also because he's not yet been (to the best of my knowledge) expelled from the party.

Ie, if all else fails, he could consider a public representative life again?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

He could join Sinn Fein!

Ah Sinn Fein

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭joseywhales

No he is over politically, like I'm sure he knows the game inside out, he ran the election for FG very successfully but it would be an uphill struggle for a job he had 25 years ago, to be scrutinized and ridiculed for a few more years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

What about Fine Gael's Dara Murphy for next commissioner?

Loves Brussels.

Loves Expenses and gorging at the trough.

Unaccountable.

Ticks all the boxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

No he is over politically, like I'm sure he knows the game inside out, he ran the election for FG very successfully but it would be an uphill struggle for a job he had 25 years ago, to be scrutinized and ridiculed for a few more years.

Ridiculed because of his attitude and lies I expect. MM and LV won't be around for ever so the ridicule might fade. One thing we know is he has a brass neck and its unlikely this thing took the glide from his stride. He'll be on some board before the year is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Not so sure about the Gary Glitter and OJ Simpson comparisons, but I see what you were doing.

The alternative perspective is that any private company wanting an inside or insight on Brexit trade deal would be delighted to appoint Hogan to their board. However, rather than reputation, the biggest obstacle to his career would be conflict of interest requirements from the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Surely FF are not gonna allow that huge signal of who is wearing the trousers in the coalition?

FF still owed another head, Hogan covers Biffo junior they still need someone for Caleary, judge is handy but stupid and not well enough known, Hayes destroyed would probably do but they might go all out and demand the two heads

blanch152 wrote: »
    Not so sure about the Gary Glitter and OJ Simpson comparisons, but I see what you were doing.

The alternative perspective is that any private company wanting an inside or insight on Brexit trade deal would be delighted to appoint Hogan to their board. However, rather than reputation, the biggest obstacle to his career would be conflict of interest requirements from the EU.

He's Fine Gael. I doubt it'll be an issue for him.
    Not unheard of for a high profile politician to go into business for a private enterprise connected to government contracts.
    But at least the EU seem to have ethics of a sort.

I see members of Promontoria, (a subsidiary of Cerberus Capital Management) were at the golf piss up.
    Judge, vulture fund, senators, TD's, Garda..

So thats all the people at all levels of the state represented, except the President and the lowly tax payer. But then they never represent the tax payer.

Bowie wrote: »
    I see members of Promontoria, (a subsidiary of Cerberus Capital Management) were at the golf piss up.
    Judge, vulture fund, senators, TD's, Garda..

So thats all the people at all levels of the state represented, except the President and the lowly tax payer. But then they never represent the tax payer.

Don't forget CCs.
    So none of your aforementioned are taxpayers?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Bowie wrote: »
    He's Fine Gael. I doubt it'll be an issue for him.
    Not unheard of for a high profile politician to go into business for a private enterprise connected to government contracts.
    But at least the EU seem to have ethics of a sort.

Not unheard of, in fact it is a common them to nearly all of his posts, for Bowie to hurl unsubstantiated allegations like confetti at Ministers and other office-holders. Here are the guidelines for Ministers, if you are aware of any breaches of them, please let SIPO know.

https://www.sipo.ie/documents/english/Code-of-Conduct-for-Office-Holders-.pdf

"Office holders, in taking up appointments on leaving office, should be careful to
    avoid any real or apparent conflict of interest with the office they formerly
    occupied. Particular care should be taken in the first few months following
    departure from office. Office holders should give careful consideration to the
    type of occupation chosen having left office. Although it is in the public interest
    that former office holders are able to move into business or other areas of public
    life, it is equally important that there should be no cause for any suspicion of
    impropriety when taking up a particular appointment. In this context, office
    holders should act in a way which ensures it could not be reasonably concluded
    that an office holder was influenced by the hope or expectation of future
    employment with the firm or organisation concerned or that an unfair advantage
    would be conferred in a new appointment by virtue of, for example, access to
    official information the office holder previously enjoyed."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Not unheard of, in fact it is a common them to nearly all of his posts, for Bowie to hurl unsubstantiated allegations like confetti at Ministers and other office-holders. Here are the guidelines for Ministers, if you are aware of any breaches of them, please let SIPO know.

"Office holders, in taking up appointments on leaving office, should be careful to
    type of occupation chosen having left office. Although it is in the public interest
    that former office holders are able to move into business or other areas of public
    life, it is equally important that there should be no cause for any suspicion of

Interesting to see that the former Minister for Older People took up a gig with the private home care lobbying body in the last day or two. He would have been responsible for homecare policy and funding in Ireland, much of it now being outsourced to private organisations. Its a board gig rather than employment as such, but he's not 6 months out of office.

I'm not suggesting any impropriety on behalf of this specific former office holder but it is such a short time since his previous public role ended, and I'd have to question whether the rules should provided for a minimum period for potentially conflicting/insider knowledge roles.

• Advertisement

List one.

So it happens, like I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Somebody just pointed out that it was around this time last week they were all sitting at their meal...it's been some week for the government and it is not by any means all over yet.
    "You're going the salmon Phil, a bit of beef not good enough for ya since ye went to Brussels,"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Big Phils tenure was to end in 2024. As part of the coalition deal FF gets to nominate then. So its up to Leo now

Uriel. wrote: »
    Interesting to see that the former Minister for Older People took up a gig with the private home care lobbying body in the last day or two. He would have been responsible for homecare policy and funding in Ireland, much of it now being outsourced to private organisations. Its a board gig rather than employment as such, but he's not 6 months out of office.

I'm not suggesting any impropriety on behalf of this specific former office holder but it is such a short time since his previous public role ended, and I'd have to question whether the rules should provided for a minimum period for potentially conflicting/insider knowledge roles.

Why?

Big Phil says thanks lads.
    He can self isolate, maybe, he can drive around, have dinners out, play golf everyday, and all on you and me. :D

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/revealed-former-commissioner-phil-hogan-can-expect-golden-handshake-of-up-to-300000-39484926.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Frances Fitzgerald in the running for Phil Hogan's job.What am embarrassing. She's a liar. Even lies about small things.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/fitzgerald-tall-tail-lost-dog-855907

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I don't give a hoot what anyone thinks, having vulture funds present at a golf event with the Oireachtas seal on it is most definitively not a good look. That's not even to mention the pandemic on top of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Edgware wrote: »
    Big Phils tenure was to end in 2024. As part of the coalition deal FF gets to nominate then. So its up to Leo now

Realistically, FF don't have any credible grandees to fire the job at. The cupboard is empty there.

None of the FG picks inspire confidence either.

The two former Irish diplomats from the EU bodies being tipped (one male, one female) are probably the right call. Not involved in the current FFG sh*theap and not tainted. The female candidate (can't remember her name) was a close aide to Peter Sutherland so knows the ropes well. Give her the gig and be done with it. Frances is damaged goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,569 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Gino Kenny believed to be interested.

• Advertisement

Yurt! wrote: »
    Realistically, FF don't have any credible grandees to fire the job at. The cupboard is empty there.

None of the FG picks inspire confidence either.

The two former Irish diplomats from the EU bodies being tipped (one male, one female) are probably the right call. Not involved in the current FFG sh*theap and not tainted. The female candidate (can't remember her name) was a close aide to Peter Sutherland so knows the ropes well. Give her the gig and be done with it. Frances is damaged goods.

Has to be the brightest and best from FG stock, master negotiators they are don't you know.
    Gino Kenny believed to be interested.

Gino had no involvement in any of these clusterfcuks either bren.

https://twitter.com/nwl88444048/status/1298956573356756993?s=19

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement