Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

How he get on in important things like Healthcare, Homeless, Cervical Check Scandal?

cutting taxes is all people have been voting for, it is the most important thing to do. We have had over a decade of giveaways and the 'gimme gimme gimme' class getting everything, its working peoples turn to get something from the government they elect. The 'crisis' in health, homeless etc... are all secondary to the urgent need for tax cuts at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

cutting taxes is all people have been voting for, it is the most important thing to do. We have had over a decade of giveaways and the 'gimme gimme gimme' class getting everything, its working peoples turn to get something from the government they elect. The 'crisis' in health, homeless etc... are all secondary to the urgent need for tax cuts at present.

You're in for some bad news if you think there are tax cuts coming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

I have heard politicians from FG say that they plan to reduce income tax liability for middle-income earners, but I can't find anything in the PFG to that effect? Does anyone here know anything about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Yes...Leo's spell as leader was in there. 2017 until the GE.

You are just being a pedant in order to deflect from the point.

Seemingly you can't read

No surprise....cheerio!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

So Tax Cuts are needed more than getting children and families off the streets/hotels/B&Bs etc or getting a health system thats fit for purpose?

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Read the post.....

He lost them 15 seats since he was in Charge, Worst election result in over 70 years.

Thats his legacy, Its fact

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Scoundrel wrote: »
    You're in for some bad news if you think there are tax cuts coming

I don't , Ireland has no economic conservatives in power and hasn't in a long time. Theres no economic right here, nobody to represent the taxpayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Things must be getting desperate, let's exploit a victim again.

Gerry Adams and his Merry men created all the victims Francie. I don't here Mr and Mrs Quinn complaining that there son was exploited, I hear them complaining that there son is dead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭antimatterx

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    I have heard politicians from FG say that they plan to reduce income tax liability for middle-income earners, but I can't find anything in the PFG to that effect? Does anyone here know anything about it?

Still being discussed. FF/GP want to increase taxes. FG want to reduce them. Worst case scenario FG will settle for them staying the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

The media, and most people dont care for tax cuts (I do by the way, already had a 15% cut due to Covid, more taxes would hurt)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

cutting taxes is all people have been voting for, it is the most important thing to do.

And who were they voting for in hope of attaining that? SF? Greens? SDs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

He lost them 15 seats since he was in Charge, Worst election result in over 70 years.

Thats his legacy, Its fact

Posting "fact" in your post doesn't change that you said Leo was leader since 2011....bit of a boo boo....but we will move on

Still being discussed. FF/GP want to increase taxes. FG want to reduce them. Worst case scenario FG will settle for them staying the same.

Have FF/GP made proposals as to which taxes they want to increase? Would it be direct or indirect taxes do you think? If the second bracket of income tax is increased any further in Ireland, I'd imagine many workers would be forced to decide whether it's actually economically viable to settle in this country.

Have FF/GP made proposals as to which taxes they want to increase? Would it be direct or indirect taxes do you think? If the second bracket of income tax is increased any further in Ireland, I'd imagine many workers would be forced to decide whether it's actually economically viable to settle in this country.

I think the target is income tax. I'm not 100% what bands/rates are being looked at. Hopefully we get a decrease once the dust from COVID settles.

FG pledge of raising the 20% band to 50K sounds very nice, and it would only cost ~600M. If they can find billions for people to lay at home, they can find that figure to reduce to tax burden on hard working people.

They literally make minimum wage as it is. This pay rise is fair and long overdue.

You can't expect to attract talent to local politics when it isn't financially viable.

I think the target is income tax. I'm not 100% what bands/rates are being looked at. Hopefully we get a decrease once the dust from COVID settles.

FG pledge of raising the 20% band to 50K sounds very nice, and it would only cost ~600M. If they can find billions for people to lay at home, they can find that figure to reduce to tax burden on hard working people.

That would be fantastic, but they've been promising to do that since 2018 so I would be skeptical that we're in a position to do so in the current climate. How would you feel about a wealth tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

They literally make minimum wage as it is. This pay rise if fair and long overdue.

You can't expect to attract talent to local politics when it isn't financially viable.

Sensationalist article from Beaker O’Connell.

It’s the implementation of a recommendation to raise their pay from 17k to 25k. Many councillors work full time in politics.

Sensationalist article from Beaker O’Connell.

It’s the implementation of a recommendation to raise their pay from 17k to 25k. Many councillors work full time in politics.

Most councillors have other jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 69,040 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Two things here

First is that the headline and the story bear no relation to each other. The payrise was proposed by the last Government and is not dependent on this deal. Its likely to happen regardless

Second is that Councillors salaries barely cover the non-expenseble costs they are expected to have - sponsor events; buy tickets to charity things they're never going to go to; put ads in every local freesheet, sports programme etc. Nobody goes in to it for the money; but plenty of people are put off by being unable to afford it.

Some parties (OK, one party) subsidise councillors to work full-time; and plenty of others are retirees. Its not a job that many young people can even consider going for due to the time required.

• Advertisement

That would be fantastic, but they've been promising to do that since 2018 so I would be skeptical that we're in a position to do so in the current climate. How would you feel about a wealth tax?

I don't think it's fair to go and charge a tax on peoples assets. I think income tax at the moment needs to be scraped and replaced with a USC model. Numerous different bands and rates is a fair system.

USC is unpopular, but the concept is fantastic.

Many do not. My Aunt is councillor and left her high paying job to do it. She might get voted out in 4 years. Theres no chance of running for the Dail either as the constituency already has one TD there.

I don't think it's fair to go and charge a tax on peoples assets. I think income tax at the moment needs to be scraped and replaced with a USC model. Numerous different bands and rates is a fair system.

In what regard? Because it expands the tax base to include lower-income workers?

Many do not. My Aunt is councillor and left her high paying job to do it. She might get voted out in 4 years. Theres no chance of running for the Dail either as the constituency already has one TD there.

That was her own choice. Least she knows if she votes for this charade she will get €32,000 extra over the 4 years. Win win for her

That was her own choice. Least she knows if she votes for this charade she will get €32,000 extra over the 4 years. Win win for her

You don't listen, do you? The councillors will be getting the 8K regardless of whether they back the deal.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/councillors-set-to-get-8000-pay-rise-966872.html

She won't be voting for it, as she isn't in FG/FF/GP. I don't think she is a very good politician, so I'm not voting for her in 4 years and will continue to campaign for FG. However councillors don't earn much, and should be making 40K minimum.

In what regard? Because it expands the tax base to include lower-income workers?

It's very progressive. 2 bands is too limited imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

USC is one of the most progressive taxes we have i.e the more you earn the more you pay no loopholes etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Yeah of all politicians I have no problem with Councillors being better paid. If it opens up politics beyond people who can afford subsistence wages for a few years it can only be a good thing.

• Advertisement

Scoundrel wrote: »
    USC is one of the most progressive taxes we have i.e the more you earn the more you pay no loopholes etc

Which is why it should be adopted as the only income tax method. Add more bands, and more rates, and scrap income tax.

Ideally the tax receipts will be higher accumulatively, but fairer to each person.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement