Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭BQQ

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I have no idea what Bannasheide thinks but I think It's FG's to lose. It's 'their' seat.

I am disagreeing with you saying FF can win it. I explained why - you continued explaining why you thought FF could.
    SF might pull it off...

You have no idea what you yourself thinks?

Edit: Oops! Just noticed the misspelling
    Apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

blanch152 wrote: »
    Yeah, I kind of guessed something like this was in the air from Clare Daly’s interview, it was clear she felt some entitlement to come and go from Ireland to Brussels without quarantining.

Yet it was govt MEPs who expressed such sense of entitlement
    MEPs Billy Kelleher (Fianna Fáil), Seán Kelly (Fine Gael), and Ciarán Cuffe (Green Party) have written a joint-letter to the Taoiseach Micheál Martin to ask for MEPs to be made exempt from the 14-day quarantine if they receive a negative Covid-19 test result before and after travel.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/meps-write-to-taoiseach-about-quarantine-rules-5191146-Sep2020/

You swung and missed there Blanch.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Yet it was govt MEPs who expressed such sense of entitlement

https://www.thejournal.ie/meps-write-to-taoiseach-about-quarantine-rules-5191146-Sep2020/

You swung and missed there Blanch.

Nope, I think some of our MEPs have been coming and going without quarantining for some time. Let it all come out.

The three lads are trying to cover their arses on this, Ms. Daly felt EP rules overruled Irish ones.

Unlike others around here, I haven’t defended any politician who breached COVID guidelines.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Nope, I think some of our MEPs have been coming and going without quarantining for some time. Let it all come out.

The three lads are trying to cover their arses on this, Ms. Daly felt EP rules overruled Irish ones.

Unlike others around here, I haven’t defended any politician who breached COVID guidelines.

Neither have I.

I am simply commenting on you going straight to Clare Daly's apparent sense of entitlement when an article was posted saying MEPs from Govt parties wrote a letter asking for an exception.

Examiner (or De Paper as we call it in Cork) saying there are 'unexpected delays' in naming the new Commissioner. Apparently Ryan is not going along with "let's just send Coveney" and wants a female named as well as per requested.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40040984.html

They really couldn't organised a fight in a bun factory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,217 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Neither have I.

I am simply commenting on you going straight to Clare Daly's apparent sense of entitlement when an article was posted saying MEPs from Govt parties wrote a letter asking for an exception.

Fairly evident in the thread that the continual pointing at selected others whenever a FG member of government is in the spotlight is a form of defence. Some posters want to talk about anything else other than the transgression relevant at the time.

Exemptions are being handed out by the government...given their track record, it is no surprise there is confusion about the detail of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Examiner (or De Paper as we call it in Cork) saying there are 'unexpected delays' in naming the new Commissioner. Apparently Ryan is not going along with "let's just send Coveney" and wants a female named as well as per requested.

I have a very strong objection to the President of the EU Commission trying to influence a sovereign member state in its nomination of its EU Commissioner.

The nomination is entirely our call and she should politely and very firmly be told to back off and mind her own business.

If the clueless postering Green sprouts get their way then there's no point in any Irishman accepting a nomination, as Ursula is going to pick the woman.

However, if Ireland wants to highlight Ursula's stupidiy, then we should call her bluff and nominate Maria Bailey.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I have a very strong objection to the President of the EU Commission trying to influence a sovereign member state in its nomination of its EU Commissioner.

The nomination is entirely our call and she should politely and very firmly be told to back off and mind her own business.

If the clueless postering Green sprouts get their way then there's no point in any Irishman accepting a nomination, as Ursula is going to pick the woman.

However, if Ireland wants to highlight Ursula's stupidiy, then we should call her bluff and nominate Maria Bailey.

I have no problem with the government nominating both Coveney and McGuinness, [probably the only 2 worthy of the nomination. Both are capable of the job and are in good standing in the Europe. Whichever one gets the nomination will be a good choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

We should nominate Luke ‘Ming’ Flanagan for the laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

T

Yeah was going to suggest her or maybe Michelle Mulherin if they really want Coveney to get the gig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

A Green Party member told me that there are three positions available and the hold up is they want one. Minister for Agriculture and the two Commissioner nominations. The line up he said Eamonn Ryan is fignting for is

Agriculture: FF Nomination
    Commission Nominations: FG Nomination and Green Nomination.

In the event that FG pick Simon Covney for the Commission job then the Greens are insisting that Catherine Martin will be the second nomination.

In the event that FG pick Mairead McGuinness then the Greens are insisting that Eamonn Ryan will be the second nomination.

In the event that FG insist on nominating the two commission positions and a FF Junior Minister gets promoted to Agriculture then the Greens want
    one of their own to get that Junior slot. It depends on the role but Francis Duffy is the front runner.

Take that any way you want. The guy I was talking to was a member of their National Exec but isn't any more. He is a bit on the hardline of their party. He wanted Catherine Martin to be leader and did not want to go into government at all.

Because that is the hill we want to fight on?
    Really?

The job is not the right of an 'Irishman' - there is no reason an Irishwoman can't do the job just as well.
    Bailey would more than likely be rejected as unsuitable due to lack of experience so that 'bluff' would be a pointless and stupid own goal.
    Did we learned nothing from sending Dustin to Eurovision?

Fairly evident in the thread that the continual pointing at selected others whenever a FG member of government is in the spotlight is a form of defence. Some posters want to talk about anything else other than the transgression relevant at the time.

Exemptions are being handed out by the government...given their track record, it is no surprise there is confusion about the detail of them.

Seems to be the only response supporters of the parties in government have at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Because that is the hill we want to fight on?
    Really?

The job is not the right of an 'Irishman' - there is no reason an Irishwoman can't do the job just as well.
    Bailey would more than likely be rejected as unsuitable due to lack of experience so that 'bluff' would be a pointless and stupid own goal.
    Did we learned nothing from sending Dustin to Eurovision?

My objection isn't about whether it's a male or female - it's about the President of the EU Commission attempting to interfere with a Member State's right to nominate the candidate or candidates that it wants to - without interference from anyone.

This time around, Frau Van Der Fertility Drugs wants a boy and a girl to be nominated; give in to her and who knows, next time around she might demand that we nominate a left-handed vegan transvestite and a one-legged lap dancer from Sligo, so she can choose who she wants.

She needs to be told - firmly - to back off.

My objection isn't about whether it's a male or female - it's about the President of the EU Commission attempting to interfere with a Member State's right to nominate the candidate or candidates that it wants to - without interference from anyone.

This time around, Frau Van Der Fertility Drugs wants a boy and a girl to be nominated; give in to her and who knows, next time around she might demand that we nominate a left-handed vegan transvestite and a one-legged lap dancer from Sligo, so she can choose who she wants.

Tbh having read your descriptions of female politicians [another example in this post] I suspect you very much have an objection to women in politics.

Either way you can park your objection as RTE are reporting 2 candidates are being put forward. I would just love to see your face if it was McGuinness and Fitzgerald. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 69,217 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

She 'asked' that we nominate 2...not demanded.
    It's been a keynote of hers since she got the job herself. Calm down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

He'd be better than Frances. That would be a tragedy rather than a comedy, maybe both actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

If we nominate Clare Daly and Mick Wallace, the EU get two for the price of one, and they disappear from our view. Wins all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Only in Ireland would someone like Frances Fitzgerald who was central to one of the most disgraceful scandals in the history of the state be nominated for such a role. It just goes to show Ireland isn't an old boys club the old girls get in as well.

Will the EU allow Terry Prone to do all of her work over there I wonder?

I heard Joespha Madigan was a disaster on the Tonight show last night, one of her quotes was “There’s a grave and public threat to life with pubs”. We really have a poor choice of politicians on both sides of the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Floppybits wrote: »
    I heard Joespha Madigan was a disaster on the Tonight show last night, one of her quotes was “There’s a grave and public threat to life with pubs”. We really have a poor choice of politicians on both sides of the house.

Any pub, or just the ones with swings in them that her client badly hurt herself in?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

It was car crash TV, she never answered 1 question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

McMurphy wrote: »
    Any pub, or just the ones with swings in them that her client badly hurt herself in?

It's ones without food.
    Not all chicken wings give Covid number 19 immunity. You need dip the barbecue wings, (must be BBQ) in sauce and you are good to go golfing/drinking/have a house party.

It's absolute nonsense at this stage there must be a puritanical streak still at heart of government the spirit of McQuaid must still be lingering.

Every other EU country has opened their pubs the sky hasn't fallen in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

The Ceann Comhairle gave the Clifden Elite both barrels in the Dail today.
    Ceann Comhairle Seán Ó Fearghaíl has said everyone makes mistakes, but what happened at the Oireachtas Golfing Society in Clifden was the result of a "collective crass stupidity ... or arrogant delusion ... or both".

He said the event organised by the "self-styled" Oireachtas Golfing Society last month should never have happened.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0902/1162800-clifden-golf-dinner/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,569 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Scoundrel wrote: »
    It's absolute nonsense at this stage there must be a puritanical streak still at heart of government the spirit of McQuaid must still be lingering.

Every other EU country has opened their pubs the sky hasn't fallen in.

Not true.

Glasgow.... lock down

Spain... big spike

Germany... big spike.

Look what happened in Jays gaff..... Killarney..... Kilkee.......Skerries.

The pot-bellied tankers are starting to get restless.....uhmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

Charlie McConalogue (FF) is the new minister for Agriculture.

I think he should just stay at home for a month. Safest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Would be safest, maybe disconnect phone ,WiFi and telly and not read any newspapers either,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

as long as he isn't a drinker or golfer he should get past the month

• Advertisement

Not true.

Glasgow.... lock down

Spain... big spike

Germany... big spike.

Look what happened in Jays gaff..... Killarney..... Kilkee.......Skerries.

The pot-bellied tankers are starting to get restless.....uhmmm

My pot belly and I are quite happy to drink at home but its ridiculous that we are they only country with pubs closed give them a chance like every other industry has been given.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement