Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    If it's in the party rules then no I wouldn't say it's wrong.

I wonder how many people down here were aware of it though? Quite a few people aren't thrilled about the fact that a few hundred Northerners might be the difference in whether or not we will have a government in 10 days time. How can that be right and fair? It amounts to external interference in my book.

We all know that Sinn Féin are all island but the Greens don't bang on about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Seamai wrote: »
    I wonder how many people down here were aware of it though? Quite a few people aren't thrilled about the fact that a few hundred Northerners might be the difference in whether or not we have a government in 10 days time. How can that be right and fair? It amounts to external interference in my book.

We all know that Sinn Féin are all island but the Greens don't bang on about it.

From the 'About' page of their website. If you didn't know and you are voting for them...the laugh is on you.
    The movement found political form in the late 1970s and early 1980s as Green parties were set up in just about every country. In Ireland, the Green Party (then known as the Ecology Party of Ireland) was formed in 1981 by a group of people with a vision for an Ireland that planned for the long-term and protected our island’s natural beauty.

We currently have two TDs and one Senator in the Oireachtas, two MEPs and two MLAs (Members of the Legislative Assembly) in Northern Ireland. We also have 57 elected councillors working in local areas around the island. Local groups around the country play a vital role in organising meetings and events, canvassing and fundraising.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

is_that_so wrote: »
    The current polls suggest a FG-led government in an election if the numbers panned out. FF would be in really big trouble.
    The polls may suggest that now but if the Greens walk the polls will change. FF will gain some support for their efforts but I would be afraid that FG could hit 70 plus seats and then we are all in trouble.

From the 'About' page of their website. If you didn't know and you are voting for them...the laugh is on you.

You can be as smug as you want, it doesn't make it right. I didn't vote for them (and never said I did, so no joke on me) and it would certainly colour my decision to vote for them in future. So there is nothing wrong with outsiders having a say in our government? I can't see how any right thinking person would think it was acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

A Green voter thinks it is wrong that a 'green' party would have a whole island environmental concern?

A green policy that didn't include what happens on the whole island is like a health policy that thinks a virus recognises borders.

Typical you would be concerned about this now blanch. :):)
    Pollution stops at the border. Probably the remains of the washed diesel acts as a deterrent

• Advertisement

You can be as smug as you want, it doesn't make it right. I didn't vote for them (and never said I did, so no joke on me) and it would certainly colour my decision to vote for them in future. So there is nothing wrong with outsiders having a say in our government? I can't see how any right thinking person would think it was acceptable.

You need to get onto whoever you vote for then and tell them to have no truck with them. Maybe they could refuse to talk to them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

If this does fail it is about time we got rid of the Independent. The likes of HealyRae, Lowry etc add zero value to anyone.

If they want to run then stick to the local councillor jobs because thats all they do in the end of the day!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    If this does fail it is about time we got rid of the Independent. The likes of HealyRae, Lowry etc add zero value to anyone.

If they want to run then stick to the local councillor jobs because thats all they do in the end of the day!!!

Get rid of them? They topped their polls?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Edgware wrote: »
    The polls may suggest that now but if the Greens walk the polls will change. FF will gain some support for their efforts but I would be afraid that FG could hit 70 plus seats and then we are all in trouble.
    The Green members need to have the reality of walking spelt out to them.They can learn compromise or have their principles intact from opposition after a new election. FG certainly won't care care either way.

LawBoy2018 wrote: »

They add zero value to the country. Just look at the healy Rae thread and everyone thinks they are greta because they ran a bus to the North to get help.

They are just hand shakers at a funeral and then layouts.

If they want to do that politics, grand, stay at local councillor. None of these guys are heklping resolve the issues in Ireland.

Shut them down.

• Advertisement

They add zero value to the country. Just look at the healy Rae thread and everyone thinks they are greta because they ran a bus to the North to get help.

They are just hand shakers at a funeral and then layouts.

If they want to do that politics, grand, stay at local councillor. None of these guys are heklping resolve the issues in Ireland.

Shut them down.

Calm down there Kim Jong-Un II.

Only the 'chosen people' are fit to govern. Didn't you know, if FG and FF can't manage to hoodwink the Greens we have a 'political crisis'? :)

Only the 'chosen people' are fit to govern. Didn't you know, if FG and FF can't manage to hoodwink the Greens we have a 'political crisis'? :)

SF would be better than independents

SF would be better than independents

Well, unfortunately, we won't be able to test that theory as they've been locked out of government by FFG. ("Y dIdN't ThEy FoRm A lEfT gOvErNmEnT, tHeY hAd ThE nUmBeRs"... *facepalm*)

Well, unfortunately, we won't be able to test that theory as they've been locked out of government by FFG. ("Y dIdN't ThEy FoRm A lEfT gOvErNmEnT, tHeY hAd ThE nUmBeRs"... *facepalm*)

Yes they got locked out :P:P:P

Nobody left the keys out for them fior 3 months when they hide away, even from PBP....they couldnt find them

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Surely if this program for Govt. doesnt pass its then incumbent on Fine Gael and Sinn Fein to sit down and talk. Fine Gael really need to get a bit of maturity and recognise there is now a three party system and from here on in these situations are going to arise election after election.

If the DUP have the maturity to go into government with Sinn Fein it doesnt say much about the maturity of Fine Gael in refusing to even talk to them. The electorate at large couldnt care less for their petty squabbling, it only seems to be the party hacks who are bothered with the school yard games that lead us nowhere.

Yes they got locked out :P:P:P

Nobody left the keys out for them fior 3 months when they hide away, even from PBP....they couldnt find them

SF are on-par with FG when it comes to strategy. I would imagine they realised early on that they didn't have the numbers for a stable government of the left, and that the left would have been picked apart if they formed a minority government in the wake of a global pandemic. The next election, whenever that may be, will change everything imo.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Surely if this program for Govt. doesnt pass its then incumbent on Fine Gael and Sinn Fein to sit down and talk. Fine Gael really need to get a bit of maturity and recognise there is now a three party system and from here on in these situations are going to arise election after election.

If the DUP have the maturity to go into government with Sinn Fein it doesnt say much about the maturity of Fine Gael in refusing to even talk to them. The electorate at large couldnt care less for their petty squabbling, it only seems to be the party hacks who are bothered with the school yard games that lead us nowhere.

SF dont want to into government, sit on opposition is what they want

This is all abit like when rte said we are only allowed pick of ff/fg in a leaders debate,and shinners rode a wave of anger at the establishment arrogance

Even if justin barrett/gemma odoherty,ever put together enough votes to get elected,they deserve their place in the dail,as unpalatable as they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Why not FF and SF first? You only need to take a quick look around here to see the antipathy that SF supporters have towards FG. Obviously you couldn't have a Shinner as the minister for justice, so then you'd have a blueshirt minister for justice. Things like that.

The dysfunction we see in NI isn't something we should aspire to replicate in the Republic. The Republic is 3rd on the UN Human Development Index behind Switzerland and Norway. It's up to someone else to start ruining that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I wonder how many people down here were aware of it though? Quite a few people aren't thrilled about the fact that a few hundred Northerners might be the difference in whether or not we will have a government in 10 days time. How can that be right and fair? It amounts to external interference in my book.

Lol, what FF/G mean is that it's the curve ball they didn't envisage whenever they tried to lure the greens in as a mudguard.

It's hard to fathom posters who regularly post on these forums and claim to be green party voters now loudly bemoaning a key component of the green party (as already explained, the greens are a whole island party) that members north and south get to cast a vote on govt formation North and South.

I'm actually close to wetting myself. Talk about egg on faces. :D

(Free range and organic obviously)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Maturity? The DUP and Sinn Fein agreed to divide power (not share) and run their own little sectarian enclaves. They have been incapable of governing the whole. That tribal division does not exist here.

No decent person will have anything to do with Sinn Fein

Why not FF and SF first? You only need to take a quick look around here to see the antipathy that SF supporters have towards FG. Obviously you couldn't have a Shinner as the minister for justice, so then you'd have a blueshirt minister for justice. Things like that.

The dysfunction we see in NI isn't something we should aspire to replicate in the Republic. The Republic is 3rd on the UN Human Development Index behind Switzerland and Norway. It's up to someone else to start ruining that.

FF are to.my mind essentially the same as FG

Now whether shinners are better or worser,at least its different choice.....

we now have willie odea likely back in cabinet......to me,this isnt progress from,when they ran country over a cliff and proceed to sneer at anyone else as econmic illterate......

About time someone emerged to stand up to those two,labour tried but fcuked it up

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Well now, I voted Green for the last two elections, and while I would have known that they are an all-Ireland party, I was surprised to learn that they allow Northern votes to have a say on coalition in the South.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Patser

Yeah I don't get why it's always FG have to talk to SF - FF have the most seats, then SF - so logically they should be next option, not to mention FF being closer in alignment to SF than FG.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Well now, I voted Green for the last two elections, and while I would have known that they are an all-Ireland party, I was surprised to learn that they allow Northern votes to have a say on coalition in the South.

That's your problem as an uninformed voter.

Patser wrote: »
    Yeah I don't get why it's always FG have to talk to SF - FF have the most seats, then SF - so logically they should be next option, not to mention FF being closer in alignment to SF than FG.

FF and SF have an equal amount of seats. FF had 38 before the Ceann Comhairle was selected.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Lol, what FF/G mean is that it's the curve ball they didn't envisage whenever they tried to lure the greens in as a mudguard.

It's hard to fathom posters who regularly post on these forums and claim to be green party voters now loudly bemoaning a key component of the green party (as already explained, the greens are a whole island party) that members north and south get to cast a vote on govt formation North and South.

I'm actually close to wetting myself. Talk about egg on faces. :D

(Free range and organic obviously)

Where did I say I ever voted Green? (For the record I haven't).

You might want to stock up on incontinence pads if wetting yourself is becoming an issue for you or maybe some pelvic floor exercises.ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Where did I say I ever voted Green? (For the record I haven't).

You might want to stock up on incontinence pads if wetting yourself is becoming an issue for you or maybe some pelvic floor exercises.

You need to reread my post again, because nowhere within it did I say, or even suggest you voted for the green party.

As for the incontinence jibe, I could make a similar one about reading comprehension issues, but I think you already appear to be upset enough.

• Advertisement

Where did I say I ever voted Green?

If you didn't, then it's none of your business how they structure themselves.

Your only option is to persuade the party you voted for to not deal with them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement